What's new

Aid, China on Bhutan menu

Kiss_of_the_Dragon

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
CHARU SUDAN KASTURI
New Delhi, Aug. 29: India will commit to helping Bhutan resurrect its tiny but sinking economy when its newly elected Prime Minister Tshering Tobgay visits New Delhi starting tomorrow, but will also seek assurances on China from the Himalayan nation.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s commitment to his counterpart aims to calm the uneasiness that has crept into India’s relationship with Bhutan, a strategically crucial neighbour, over the past few months, top government officials here told The Telegraph.

New Delhi temporarily stopped fuel subsidies to its neighbour for the first time in 64 years in July, before restoring the subsidy after Tobgay won national elections on an openly pro-India campaign.

“We want to make sure that the fuel subsidy issue is history for Bhutan,” an official here said. “It’s time to move on and that’s what we want to communicate to the visiting Prime Minister.”

Though Bhutan’s economy — that plunged as sharply as some Himalayan cliffs after India withdrew subsidies — will be on the top of the agenda when Tobgay meets Singh and other Indian leaders, China, their mutual neighbour, will figure too. Finance minister P. Chidambaram, who will deliver India’s economic promises, and home minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, who will seek Bhutan’s cooperation along their border in China’s shadow, are meeting Tobgay one after the other, within an hour on Friday. Tobgay will meet Singh and external affairs minister Salman Khurshid on Saturday.

India’s economic aid package for Bhutan will include Rs 4,500 crore for Bhutan’s 11th Five Year Plan that will begin this year, Rs 500 crore as an economic stimulus to resuscitate its economy, and Rs 400 crore to meet its needs till the new plan is in place.

Bhutan had requested India — which finances over half of Bhutan’s public expenditure — for Rs 4,500 crore for the upcoming five year plan, but its officials sought additional funds for the stimulus when national security adviser Shivshankar Menon and foreign secretary Sujatha Singh visited Thimpu earlier this month.:azn:

By agreeing to each one of Bhutan’s economic requests at a time when its own economy is struggling, India wants to underline its commitment to its neighbour, the officials said.:lol:

It’s a commitment that Indian officials repeatedly assert has stood the test of time, since 1949 when the nations inked a friendship pact under which the hill nation allowed its bigger neighbour to “guide” its foreign policy.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1130830/jsp/nation/story_17290498.jsp

---
I should say this Tobgay is brilliant, knowing India's weakness and demandes regarding China, his gorverment geniusly exploited this geopolitcal power game by milking India for financial assistance. The free fall rupeee country can't just refuse.

5000 crore is not even USD 1 billion... peanuts for India.. dont know why some idiots are jumping?

Don't get me wrong, I'm just happy for Bhutan, China don't have to spend a dime to compete for influence, As long as India can nourrish this country for ever than everything will just be fine. :lol: if try make Bhutan unhappy than India will be in trouble.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just happy for Bhutan, China don't have to spend a dime to compete for influence, As long as India can nourrish this country for ever than everything will just be fine. :lol: if try make Bhutan unhappy than India will be in trouble.

hmm. India can support Bhutan forever. Its not much expenditure. The CM of one state alone does more corruption then the money Bhutan will need for 10 years... :D

Bhutan has a very low population, we have no problem in supporting Bhutan.

hmm. India can support Bhutan forever. Its not much expenditure. The CM of one state alone does more corruption then the money Bhutan will need for 10 years... :D

You think Bhutan will just stay happy for ever with this puny amount knowing they have leverage? If China offer them with better incentive package, India has to put more money on the bet, it's like a poker game....China can drag India to the unacceptable demand by Bhutan...this is the geopolitcal gamble.

You think Bhutan will just stay happy for ever with this puny amount knowing they have leverage? If China offer them with better incentive package, India has to put more money on the bet, it's like a poker game....China can drag India to the unacceptable demand by Bhutan...this is the geopolitcal gamble.

if you give Bhutan $ 100 billion. I am fine with it. :D

Even Bhutan is messing with India :lol:

India is a running joke.

Ok so what .... ??

There is something beyond all this the people to people contact btw India and Buthan is good so things ar not just what they are depicted in the article.

Even Bhutan is messing with India :lol:

India is a running joke.

I have never seen naive and clueless people like the Chinese.

Bhutan had long been conquered by India even before Sikkim was annexed with India. Indian army and its state of the art military equipment are installed in every square of Bhutan. Do you think any Bhutanese will dare act against India? He and his family will be mercilessly assassinated by Indian intels.

Indian intels are not Chinese, they are cunning and ruthless guys.

Whatever Bhutan does, you must know it is done by India.

NSA advises Bhutan on border talks with China - The New Indian Express

Your Art of War is a little tiny immature kid in front of Arthashastra. Without violence, nothing can be achieved.

Because of its harsh political pragmatism, the Arthashastra has often been compared to Machiavelli's The Prince.

Is there any other book that talks so openly about when using violence is justified? When assassinating an enemy is useful? When killing domestic opponents is wise? How one uses secret agents? When one needs to sacrifice one's own secret agent? How the king can use women and children as spies and even assassins? When a nation should violate a treaty and invade its neighbor? Kautilya — and to my knowledge only Kautilya — addresses all those questions. In what cases must a king spy on his own people? How should a king test his ministers, even his own family members, to see if they are worthy of trust? When must a king kill a prince, his own son, who is heir to the throne? How does one protect a king from poison? What precautions must a king take against assassination by one's own wife? When is it appropriate to arrest a troublemaker on suspicion alone? When is torture justified? At some point, every reader wonders: Is there not one question that Kautilya found immoral, too terrible to ask in a book? No, not one. And this is what brings a frightful chill. But this is also why Kautilya was the first great, unrelenting political realist.

Arthashastra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only if relations between any two neighboring countries are being runs on the whims n fancy of certain posters who make threads only for leg pulling thus ending in a sheer wastage of time for all

Nothing of substance is ever posted on these sorts of threads

if you give Bhutan $ 100 billion. I am fine with it. :D

We will make enough of bet that India will not able to follow.

Still these Chinese will never get the privilege of roaming in Bhutan without the passport unlike us. :omghaha::omghaha:

Lol, today you enjoy the privilege because Bhutan is still locking with China over the border issue, tomorrow Bhutan will be ligned up as China, Pakistan and Myanmar to settle camps beyond Indian's boundary :smokin:.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom