What's new

Ahmed Mohamed demands $15m compensation and written apology for homemade clock arrest

The environment here is way better then most of other forums and i suppose that is the thing that keeps you here.

That, Sir, is a statement I can agree with. We discuss as best as possible in the forum that we have, not the forum we wish we had, to paraphrase a famous statement. :D

It is highly likely that he will back off. We all know that.
I was just wondering is there is a law of some sort about what is the amount you can sue one for a particular incident. I am not aware of any such thing.
No I don't think so, if this goes on he can likely get a smaller part of the money at best. 15 million from a town of 230,000 is impossible.

lost alot of my sympathy there. 50,000-100,000 I can understand, 15 million from a school district for an event that actually resulted in alot of good publicity for him?
Hope he gets nothing for his (the lawyer's?) calculating greed.

Honestly it probably is the lawyer, in which case 50-100,000k is fine.

Have to give it to the kids dad, he engineered the whole thing from the get-go and is milking every drop out if it! :D

Unfairly??? :O
The article that tells about the supposed amount that boy is going to sue for, also tell about how he was arrested for taking a clock to the school. I mean,, are we saying that this is not unfair or are we saying that we believe in half of the article and claim the other half to be untrue?

We are saying that he took a suitcase that looked like a bomb to a school. There was nothing even remotely related to learning here. He just took out the guts of an old digital clock and put it in a small suitcase that strongly resembled the cheap suitcases often used for bombs. He was rightly arrested/investigated. So yes, nothing unfair was done to him. Had he been some avg white kid, I'm sure he would have been treated the same way (and they regularly do get treated that way), but that would never have made it to mass media. This kid's story turned hot because :

-recent Islamic terrorist scare etc.
-upcoming elections (democrats want to make the republicans look bad and republicans are just naturally good at making themselves look bad).
-tech companies and NASA and other gov. institutes jumping on the bandwagon for PR. It's like if we don't take it, someone else will. That's why facebook, google, NASA, whitehouse were all quick to grab what they could before someone else did.

I must say his father was a genius. That's parenting like a boss :smokin:

We are saying that he took a suitcase that looked like a bomb to a school. There was nothing even remotely related to learning here. He just took out the guts of an old digital clock and put it in a small suitcase that strongly resembled the cheap suitcases often used for bombs. He was rightly arrested/investigated. So yes, nothing unfair was done to him. Had he been some avg white kid, I'm sure he would have been treated the same way (and they regularly do get treated that way), but that would never have made it to mass media. This kid's story turned hot because :

-recent Islamic terrorist scare etc.
-upcoming elections (democrats want to make the republicans look bad and republicans are just naturally good at making themselves look bad).
-tech companies and NASA and other gov. institutes jumping on the bandwagon for PR. It's like if we don't take it, someone else will. That's why facebook, google, NASA, whitehouse were all quick to grab what they could before someone else did.

I must say his father was a genius. That's parenting like a boss :smokin:

Still man, i do not see a student being harassed for taking a clock to a school, not matter is he is Muslim or Christian, Asian or American, as being fair. It was uncalled for. May be after the recent Paris attacks there is a sense of paranoia and him being Muslim was adding further fuel the fire.

As for white kid or any American being treated same way,, i do not doubt it. I for one have myself seen European citizens being stripped searched at airport ( Frankfurt airport twice, one at Berlin) while i was not stopped at all. The thing is, IF I some other Pakistani was stopped there and searched like that it is more likely that this would have turned into an issue and made it to the news. So based on my personal experience, they are no biased based on religion or color, NOT IN GERMANY AT LEAST. I hope it is the same over there in USA.

What made me write in this thread was the mind sent/comment that this kid have got enough FAME after this indecent that he should be THANKFUL for that and should not have sued anyone. Instead he should be thankful!! That was absurd! It is not that i am OK with the amount he is going to sue for or that i advocate it to be correct thing to do, i am just not comfortable with that "being thankful for the fame and forget everything else" stupidity!! A bit surprised by that i would say.

Last edited:
Still man, i do not see a student being harassed for taking a clock to a school, not matter is he is Muslim or Christian, Asian or American, as being fair. It was uncalled for. May be after the recent Paris attacks there is a sense of paranoia and him being Muslim was adding further fuel the fire.

As for white kid or any American being treated same way,, i do not doubt it. I for one have myself seen European citizens being stripped searched at airport ( Frankfurt airport twice, one at Berlin) while i was not stopped at all. The thing is, IF I some other Pakistani was stopped there and searched like that it is more likely that this would have turned into an issue and made it to the news. So based on my personal experience, they are no biased based on religion or color, NOT IN GERMANY AT LEAST. I hope it is the same over there in USA.

What made me write in this thread was the mind sent/comment that this kid have got enough FAME after this indecent that he should be THANKFUL for that and should not have sued anyone. Instead he should be thankful!! That was absurd! It is not that i am OK with the amount he is going to sue for or that i advocate it to be correct thing to do, i am just not comfortable with that "being thankful for the fame and forget everything else" stupidity!! A bit surprised by that i would say.

IT WAS ALL A DRAMA STUPID !!!!

HIS DAD IS A SENIOR SOMALI POLITICIAN !!! HE KNOWS THESE TRICKS AND PUBLICITY STUNTS !!!

:P

Sir, you should read up on the details. He was not acted against in the science class where he showed the clock. He was told to put it away. He then set the alarm to go off in English class and caused a disruption. The teacher had to tell the Admin Office. School policy dictated that police be involved, who had enough probable cause to arrest him. He was released once it was revealed that the device was not dangerous. Due process was followed to ensure safety of all the students in the school.

IT WAS ALL A DRAMA STUPID !!!!

HIS DAD IS A SENIOR SOMALI POLITICIAN !!! HE KNOWS THESE TRICKS AND PUBLICITY STUNTS !!!

:P

In that case the authorities should apologize with the kid and compensate him in whatever way is appropriate AND take his dumb dad and try him for conspiracy charges. If it was all an intentional drama the dad must be punished by the court.

It is highly likely that he will back off. We all know that.
I was just wondering is there is a law of some sort about what is the amount you can sue one for a particular incident. I am not aware of any such thing.

Compensation claims can be either statutory or in tort. Statutory compensation claims usually have a cap on them. There will be discrimination laws which he can use as a ground, but that is obviously not the case here, as a figure of $15 million is not statutory at all. So he is basing his claim on tort law, which covers all kinds of personal injuries, nuisance, consumer redressal, restitution, etc.

In that case the authorities should apologize with the kid and compensate him in whatever way is appropriate AND take his dumb dad and try him for conspiracy charges. If it was all an intentional drama the dad must be punished by the court.

The authorities have better things to do then go after such jokers...

The authorities have better things to do then go after such jokers...
LIKE?
Arresting kids with clocks in there bags? :lol:
What is wrong is wrong,, no matter who does it!!!

LIKE?
Arresting kids with clocks in there bags? :lol:
What is wrong is wrong,, no matter who does it!!!

As I mentioned in the details above, due process was justified and followed in Ahmed's arrest.

As I mentioned in the details above, due process was justified and followed in Ahmed's arrest.
Then that is good and i have always supported that the justice should prevail in this case. Unfortunately, what you or me said or think wont matter a lot in this case, not practically at least. One of the involved parties is not satisfied and that is what actually matters.
:)
So i do not understand why we keep on getting statements like "The fame he got was enough and should have been happy with it" or that "the authorities have more important things to do so there is no need to follow up and investigate this matter"
I mean, you me or any of us was not present there so we know what we are being told right? in this case, shouldn't there be an inquire, in one part feel that they were not treated well or the actions of other were not justified? I always though this is what America stands for so these varying statements come as surprise.
As i have mentioned in the above posts, the case should be investigated in any one involved party feel they were harassed and due compensation be made by authorities. I say all this in reply/reaction to the previous posts i refereed to so if you try and read them perhaps you will understand what i am saying.

Last edited:
Then that is good and i have always supported that the justice should prevail in this case. :) So i do not understand why we keep on getting statements like "The fame he got was enough and should have been happy with it" or that "the authorities have more important things to do so there is no need to follow up and investigate this matter"
I mean, you me or any of us was not present there so we know what we are being told right? in this case, shouldn't there be an inquire, in one part feel that they were not treated well or the actions of other were not justified? I always though this is what America stands for so these varying statements come as surprise.
As i have mentioned in the above posts, the case should be investigated in any one involved party feel they were harassed and due compensation be made by authorities. I say all this in reply/reaction to the previous posts i refereed to so if you try and read them perhaps you will understand what i am saying.

Most comments are either inflammatory or ignorant by design Sir, but that excludes yours as I have read them.

Due process was followed in the initial arrest and subsequent release, and even the lawsuit is another step along the way as Ahmed exercises his due rights. Those trying to portray this incident as some form of islamophobia are doing so only to mislead others. Any other student doing the same acts would have been treated the same.

You are correct in saying that American values dictate that he has a fair chance at proving his complaint and be compensated if he is able to do so. Similarly, the school district will have a fair chance at defending itself for the actions that it took. Justice will prevail, of that I have no doubt, whatever the outcome may be.

Doodh ka doodh aur paani ka paani, jald hee faislaa ho jaye gaa.

Back
Top Bottom