What's new

Ahmed Mohamed demands $15m compensation and written apology for homemade clock arrest

24 Hours

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Lawyers for the teenager's family said they will file a civil suit in 60 days if officials fail to comply

AHMED-MOHAMED.gif

Ahmed Mohamed was arrested after his homemade clock was mistaken for a bomb Ben
The family of Ahmed Mohamed, the Texan schoolboy who was arrested after taking a homemade clock to school, has demanded $15m in compensation and written apologies from the local mayor and police chief.

In letters sent on Monday, the lawyers said if the City of Irving and Irving School District did not agree to the apologies and compensation, they would file a civil action.

“Ahmed never threatened anyone, never caused harm to anyone, and never intended to. The only one who was hurt that day was Ahmed, and the damages he suffered were not because of oversight or incompetence,” said the letter to the city authorities.

Ahmed.jpg

Ahmed Mohamed meets Obama at the White House

“The school and city officials involved knew what they needed to do to protect Ahmed's rights. They just decided not to do it.”

The teenager made international headlines in September after he was detained when he took a homemade clock to school. A teacher contacted police after claiming the clock looked like a bomb.

The teenager and his father claimed he had been a victim of Islamophobia.

Texan schoolboy Ahmed Mohamed invited to the White House after his arrest over suspicious clock
After he was arrested, the 14-year was subsequently invited to the White House by Barack Obama who tweeted about his “cool clock”.

The youngster later met Mr Obama when he attended a science evening at the White House, albeit without his clock.

His family later revealed they were moving to Qatar, after accepting an invitation from the Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development.

The two letters sent by the Laney and Bollinger law firm and first reported by ABC, requested a written apology from Irving’s Mayor Beth Van Duyne, who had defended the actions of the staff at MacArthur High School, and Police Chief Larry Boyd.

The letters claimed the teenager’s civil rights were violated and that he and his family suffered physical and mental anguish. They claim he was singled out because of his “race, national origin, and religion.”

The letters demanded $10m to be paid to the family by the City of Irving, and $5m from the school district.

The letters said if officials failed to comply with the requests, the law firm would file a suit. There was no immediate response from the police department or the city.

I'm done sympathizing with this kid.

It all comes down to Money, Isn't it? :)

Why it shouldn't? Isn't it the right of him being an American citizen to sue the agencies for there miss conduct? Or you really beleived that this should have been enough?
he got his 15 minutes of fame or shame. plus all kinds of free stuff.

he wants more?
Please i am not ascertaining anything, just asking for point of view.

he got his 15 minutes of fame or shame. plus all kinds of free stuff.

he wants more?
Clearly meeting Obama and hanging out at NASA and all those oppurtunities to meet famous people wasn't enough. :hitwall:

Why it shouldn't? Isn't it the right of him being an American citizen to sue the agencies for there miss conduct? Or you really beleived that this should have been enough?
15 million is a lot of money especially for this kind of incident. A person wrongly convicted for a crime and forced to spend a long time in jail won't get that much when he's declared inoccent. This kind money is coming out of tax dollars too, so he can back off.

Clearly meeting Obama and hanging out at NASA and all those oppurtunities to meet famous people wasn't enough. :hitwall:

15 million is a lot of money especially for this kind of incident. A person wrongly convicted for a crime and forced to spend a long time in jail won't get that much when he's declared inoccent. This kind money is coming out of tax dollars too, so he can back off.
It is highly likely that he will back off. We all know that.
I was just wondering is there is a law of some sort about what is the amount you can sue one for a particular incident. I am not aware of any such thing.

What ever protocol Americans have given to Ahmed was to hide their shame and prove to World that Americans give honor and respect to knowledge seekers.....

Now question is, what type of punishment those racist received? Nothing......
School administration and Police department even not apologized for their action and took action against criminals.....

So Ahmed has pure right to sue those ignorant to compensate the emotional trauma he and his family suffered, plus to avoid such incidents next time.........:coffee:

Those idiots who are just looking at the money, need to broad their point of view....

What ever protocol Americans have given to Ahmed was to hide their shame and prove to World that Americans give honor and respect to knowledge seekers.....

Now question is, what type of punishment those racist received? Nothing......
School administration and Police department even not apologized for their action and took action against criminals.....

So Ahmed has pure right to sue those ignorant to compensate the emotional trauma he and his family suffered, plus to avoid such incidents next time.........:coffee:

Those idiots who are just looking at the money, need to broad their point of view....
I agree, the mental and physical abuse was immense. He should be compensated for what he suffered at the hands of the US government.

Please i am not ascertaining anything, just asking for point of view.

Let him prove his case in court as is his right.

It is highly likely that he will back off. We all know that.
I was just wondering is there is a law of some sort about what is the amount you can sue one for a particular incident. I am not aware of any such thing.

The amount is determined by a jury after any pain and suffering is proven. An additional amount may be added as punitive damages, if applicable.

exactly!!

His chances of proving official misconduct are minuscule, but he can try, of course.

The amount is determined by a jury after any pain and suffering is proven. An additional amount may be added as punitive damages, if applicable.

His chances of proving official misconduct are minuscule, but he can try, of course.
:lol:
well at least you didn't went to that level that " he have got 10 minutes of fame/shame and that should be enough for him"
Also, we both know that it is rarely about the money alone.
Anyway, i hope his name wont hinder the process and he will challenge this is court and get justice, whatever that may be!

:lol:
well at least you didn't went to that level that " he have got 10 minutes of fame/shame and that should be enough for him"
Also, we both know that it is rarely about the money alone.
Anyway, i hope his name wont hinder the process and he will challenge this is court and get justice, whatever that may be!

The Justice system will give him a fair shot at proving his case, regardless of his name.

The Justice system will give him a fair shot at proving his case, regardless of his name.
That will be good then. I am glad he wont have to be contented with his "10 minutes of fame/shame" as some suggest a few posts back.

Back
Top Bottom