What's new

Advance Super Hornet Why India/US Should Consider It

Advance Super Hornet is a

• Total voters
Boeing refused to provide TOT for critical technology and India is weary of too much banking on the US.
Right! We shouldn't put our eggs in the US basket else we would be prone to the usual US blackmail. The SU-35/MiG-35 as well as the super SU-30MKI are better options as we already have the basic infrastructure in place and the Russians are far more reliable.

However, the downside is the cost and availability of spares for Russian aircraft.

it is the best, but the cost to buy,maintain, and fly it is absurd.

Is not it that Super Hornet designed for AC? Moreover Super Hornet is in the same class as SU-30MKI. What India wants is a Multi role fighter. F 16 is good Multi role fighter, but rather became obsolete. F 35 is the best thing that India could have for a Multi role fighter. The next best alternative is Rafale.

yet F-22 has 50 to 60% availability rate so out of those 24 F-22s only 12 to 14 them would be able to sortie.

And the mental effect of IAF having Raptors on morale of our enemies?

Is not it that Super Hornet designed for AC? Moreover Super Hornet is in the same class as SU-30MKI. What India wants is a Multi role fighter. F 16 is good Multi role fighter, but rather became obsolete. F 35 is the best thing that India could have for a Multi role fighter. The next best alternative is Rafale.

He is talking about Raptor.

See post number 6.

nah, F-18 does just fine as a land fighter. Australia uses them like that.

See post number 6.

a good analogy is you know those big ole giant hornets they are beast aren't they??? but a bunch of little honey bees can gang up and kill a hornet because of their mass of numbers.

F-22 is formidale and the fear factor is high, but it isn't invincible or a game changer in small numbers.

If Its a mere wish list then okay but in reality neither Raptor is for sell nor India is interested in it.

nah, F-18 does just fine as a land fighter. Australia uses them like that.

a good analogy is you know those big ole giant hornets they are beast aren't they??? but a bunch of little honey bees can gang up and kill a hornet because of their mass of numbers.

F-22 is formidale and the fear factor is high, but it isn't invincible or a game changer in small numbers.

OK

I think why F18 was not chosen because it is in the same category as Su 30. India wants a complement for Su 30

See post number 6.

I think India doesn't requires Raptor. What it may have eye on is F35. But it seems it will take many years for India to have hands on F35 even it orders today.

If Its a mere wish list then okay but in reality neither Raptor is for sell nor India is interested in it.

Even for US, Raptor is white elephant.

OK

I think why F18 was not chosen because it is in the same category as Su 30. India wants a complement for Su 30
Naah. Super Hornet is in the same class as Rafale and Typhoon though it was not chosen because of different issues like ToT and Rafale/Typhoon were better in performance.

Naah. Super Hornet is in the same class as Rafale and Typhoon though it was not chosen because of different issues like ToT and Rafale/Typhoon were better in performance.

I think Super Hornet is air superiority fighter, we want a multi role A2G fighter

I think Super Hornet is air superiority fighter, we want a multi role A2G fighter
No it isnt. Its a multi role fighter. probably you are confused with F-15s.

it's not an air superiority fighter it's a multi-role fighter.

typical loadout for a super hornet is

1 aim-120
2 aim-9s
1- external fuel tank
1-targeting system
and 6 open weapon hard points for a2g weapons and anti-ship weaponry what not.

advance weapons.

JDAM
Paveway
SDB I and II (future)
JSOW/ER
Aim-9X
Aim-120D and Aim-120-ER 50% increase range
HARM
JASSM
Brimestone (future)
Harpoon
LRASM (future)
CBU-97 Sensor Fuzed Weapon/105
SLAM-ER

lack of trust !

Looks like @Horus has forgotten that US offered TOT for F-18 SH production in India and US congressmen visited India to lobby for Boeing.

The only reason F-18 SH was not selected because Rafale and EFT performed better in technical parameters.

Just three small remarks :

In the FX-2 Brazilian tender, for 36 fighters, the Rafale bid was 8 billions and the SuperHornet's 7.5 billions.
Since both were answering the same RFP, that belies the assessment found twice above of a huge difference
in cost between the two birds. Comparing comparables is always better than pickin' n choosin' numbers.

The F-22 line is closed and dismantled ( although the process is recorded so that it could be re-opened ).
Considering the number of AC in service ( 187 ) the chances of used ones making it to the market is zilch.
Even if they did make it, who do you think would get the first pick : Israel or India?

The ASH is a project without a client as of now. How would signing for a paper plane help the IAF fill its
dwindling numbers, a problem worsening by the week that should have been addressed yesterday?

I intend no disrespect but threads like this one are fanboys theorizing about the sex of angels.
Ask any military outfit ( USN vs F-35 comes to mind ) and the'll favor a bird in hand over two in the bush.
That's because they're the ones going to war and not safe behind screens and keyboards mostly.

Brass and Congress in America wanted the A-10 retired for instance to save some money for the cash-
guzzling JSF program but when the need arose to defend eastern Europe, what was sent? Warthogs!!!

If you want to hold such useless discussions, do the sensible thing and ask Horus to set-up a new forum :
Spurrious Considerations for Imaginary Forces Ideas ( that could be shortened to its acronym ).
I'll join you gladly with plans for Unicorn riding Leprechauns units to replace the USMC albeit …
on a lighter tone than for real war stuff and there, will accept and even welcome far-fetched dreams!

Be serious people, the subject is, Tay.

Back
Top Bottom