What's new

Abortive act of piracy: IRGC Navy foils US attempt to steal Iranian oil in Oman Sea

From what I'm reading, sounds like load of BS. So many contradictions even from the Iranian sources. One says they protected an Iranian tanker from being hijacked (but why sent in a boarding party from a helo for that?), another says they took over a tanker that had Iranian oil that was stolen previously from another Iranian tanker by transferring oil(so that means the U.S. Navy is in control of that Iranian tanker previously?). And if the U.S. wants to take over tankers and steal oil, they can have done it easier when the Iranian tankers are far away from the reach of the Iranian Navy especially close to their waters. Let me know when things are clear. So far from the U.S. official government, they say the Iranians hijacked a Vietnamese flagged oil tanker and took it into Iranian waters where the U.S. Navy broke off pursuit since they can't intrude Iranian waters, not enough to go to war over it since the tanker could be released in the future.

From what I'm reading, sounds like load of BS. So many contradictions even from the Iranian sources. One says they protected an Iranian tanker from being hijacked (but why sent in a boarding party from a helo for that?), another says they took over a tanker that had Iranian oil that was stolen previously from another Iranian tanker by transferring oil(so that means the U.S. Navy is in control of that Iranian tanker previously?). And if the U.S. wants to take over tankers and steal oil, they can have done it easier when the Iranian tankers are far away from the reach of the Iranian Navy especially close to their waters. Let me know when things are clear. So far from the U.S. official government, they say the Iranians hijacked a Vietnamese flagged oil tanker and took it into Iranian waters where the U.S. Navy broke off pursuit since they can't intrude Iranian waters, not enough to go to war over it since the tanker could be released in the future.
Here's my understanding of what Iranian sources claim in Persian:

The US was hijacking an Iranian oil tanker, forcing it to transfer its oil to another tanker. Obviously, transferring oil from a tanker to another takes time. The IRGC arrives and not only stops it, but confiscates the tanker that the oil was being transferred to. The US Navy does not engage the IRGC directly, and fails to stop the seizure of the tanker cooperating with them (which happens to be a Vietnamese flagged one).

Here's my understanding of what Iranian sources claim in Persian:

The US was hijacking an Iranian oil tanker, forcing it to transfer its oil to another tanker. Obviously, transferring oil from a tanker to another takes time. The IRGC arrives and not only stops it, but confiscates the tanker that the oil was being transferred to. The US Navy does not engage the IRGC directly, and fails to stop the seizure of the tanker cooperating with them (which happens to be a Vietnamese flagged one).

What is the name of the ship the U.S. hijacked earlier prior to transferring the oil to the Vietnamese tanker?

Offtopic, but I'm still gonna give my 2 cents.

Besides technical knowledge and having enough relevant resources, the most important thing is the WILL of the Govt. and nation to go nuclear. The WILL that makes you eat grass but to get nuclear bomb(PK). The WILL that makes you the most isolated country in the world(NoKo). The Will that makes you the most sanctioned country in the world(IR).

Question is, is Turkey as a nation ready to undertake such a long hard journey especially when they are highly connected to the International(read Western) world? Can they give up their lifestyle and luxuries just for a nuclear bomb? I highly doubt it. Forget every other crises Turkey is going through, these people can't even handle the rising prices(and jokes) of bananas even.

Well said.
It is the degree of political will that is all important,with that will almost anything is possible,without it nothing will be achieved,no matter how many other factors may be in somethings favor.

What is the name of the ship the U.S. hijacked earlier prior to transferring the oil to the Vietnamese tanker?
That's a good question. I couldn't find the name of the first ship that the US had hijacked. In fact, news sources in Iran didn't mention the name of the second ship either (until foreign news outlets revealed more info about it).

Al-Jazeera claims without further explanation that the incident has happened on October 24th, but it has been publicized today, which is one day before the anniversary of the US embassy crisis in 1979.

That's a good question. I couldn't find the name of the first ship that the US had hijacked. In fact, news sources in Iran didn't mention the name of the second ship either (until foreign news outlets revealed more info about it).

Al-Jazeera claims without further explanation that the incident has happened on October 24th, but it has been publicized today, which is one day before the anniversary of the US embassy crisis in 1979.
Name of the second ship is in the video, based on IRGC statement, the ship has reached Bandar-Abbas port at 8 o'clock October 25th.

Where is the video of US Hijacking one of the tankers?

All I see is what looks similar to the British warship spat a couple years ago where Iran took a (British?) ship and the warship tried to stop it and failed.
Offtopic, but I'm still gonna give my 2 cents.

Besides technical knowledge and having enough relevant resources, the most important thing is the WILL of the Govt. and nation to go nuclear. The WILL that makes you eat grass but to get nuclear bomb(PK). The WILL that makes you the most isolated country in the world(NoKo). The Will that makes you the most sanctioned country in the world(IR).

Question is, is Turkey as a nation ready to undertake such a long hard journey especially when they are highly connected to the International(read Western) world? Can they give up their lifestyle and luxuries just for a nuclear bomb? I highly doubt it. Forget every other crises Turkey is going through, these people can't even handle the rising prices(and jokes) of bananas even.

Nukes are for territorial integrity. For example, NK doesn’t have to worry about USA invading anytime soon.

However, nukes won’t protect Iranian assets in Syria.

The first time Iranian assets get struck in Syria and Iran doesn’t do anything....nuke umbrella goes straight into garbage can. You can find many articles on nuke deterrence theory.

All nukes would do is cause Israel to expand its warhead count and force Turkey and Saudi Arabia to also go nuclear. So how does that benefit Iran?

Also the West (and Israel) will then say any Iranian BM greater than 250KM is nuclear capable and thus if fired will be treated as such. Thus removing one of Iran’s most important wartime assets.

This is why Iran rather be a nuclear threshold state. It’s territorial integrity can be preserved for the time being via conventional means AND it can continue using the threat of its missiles during a conflict as deterrence. Furthermore, it keeps the Middle East from becoming a nuclear weapon free for all.

Same applies to Turkey.

Iran might have gone nuclear if Saddam was still around and was close to nuclear weapons because Iran knows Saddam would have presented as an existential threat. Neither Israel or USA are currently an existential threat to Iran.

Last edited:
I suggest Iran take away these Chinese equipment:

1, The top speed of 022 can reach 50 knots. It's invisible and hard to find.
It carries eight YJ83 missiles with a range of 285 kilometers.
China has sealed up 100 022 ships (because in recent years, China's naval theory has changed from coastal defense to regional denial, this batch of 022 is almost new and only used for a short time)
China usually sells retired warships at a price of 10%, and the total price of these 100 type 022 should not exceed US $150 million.

2, JH7A has a max range of 3900 km(F35 max range 2200km), a max bomb load of 9t(F35 max bomb load 7 tons) and a max speed of 2.2 Mach(F35 max speed 1.6 Mach). It can carry four YJ series anti-ship missiles. There are about 280 JH7A in China. The cost of each JH7A is USD 20 million. It is estimated that about $1 billion will be able to buy 280 second-hand JH7A.

photocdn.sohu-4.jpg

finance.chinanews.jpg

hbimg.b0.upaiyun.jpg

wx4.sinaimg.jpg

I think calling US pirate is just political rhetoric. The likely turns of events are like this:

1. Iran is having hard time selling its primary product -- oil, due to US sanction. So, any sales in any form is a viable route, even with lower price than the open market. So they sell it to other countries in open sea. It is a bit like smuggling but hey that is just according to US law. This time, a Vietnamese is the buyer.

2. US found it out and wanted to enforce its own long-arm jurisdiction but of course US couldn't take the Iranian oil tanker. That would be in direct conflict with Iran since Iranian vessel is Iranian sovereignty.

3. So US waited until the oil was transferred to Vietnam tanker and then tried to intercept it. Vietnam is likely to suck it up since its economy relies on trade with US. Much like how China had to suck it up back in 80s. Iran just called this an act of piracy when US saw it as law enforcement.

4. My guess is that Vietnam buyer has only paid partially to Iran for the oil. Otherwise, why would Iran care if US took it after it has already been paid?

5. So, losing Vietnam tanker would mean that Iran loses a big chunk of payment so they acted by taking the tanker back. For the oil, of course.

6. For US, well, the question is whether it is worth it to use more violence to hold on to its recently acquired bounty. I guess the answer is not. So, US navy just made some gestures and then gave up. After all, US doesn't lose anything while Iran just tried not to lose anything.

7. The rest is just political display.

Assuming all the above is correct. This still leaves the following question to be pondered upon: exactly how many countries on earth dare use their military might against US interests in order to avoid losing something, even if it will not come at a financial cost to Washington? For saying the US did not lose anything at all would be somewhat exaggerated: it just got deprived of yet another parcel of its gradualluy crumbling, Hollywood-projected image of invincibility and military unchallangeability, right before everyone's eyes.

All it takes for a nation with comparable resources to join Iran in achieving such feats is iron political will, unshakeable faith, and well thought out long term political strategy, the kind of which the Islamic Republic's Leadership has been deploying in Iran for the past 42 years. Hats off to the IRGC. May their example inspire more and more oppressed nations.

Last edited:

It is also more embarrassing for the US to see reverse engineered and upgraded Iranian Bell 212 helicopters dropping IRGC special forces right in front of USN.
Uskowi on Iran - اسکویی در باره ایران: Iranian Navy & Marine Exercises on  the Caspian Sea394 × 400

Белл 212 Иран 2 от WS-Clave | Bell 212, Military helicopter, IranIranian AB 212 Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) Helicopter | Global Military  Review800
× 533
1200 × 800

VIDEO: Iran Inducts New Special Operations Ship - USNI News1464 × 820
The Helicopter used in this operation was a IRGCN Bell 412. The IRGC Navy does not operate Bell 212, Artesh Navy operates all of Iran's Bell 212 helicopters.

Back
Top Bottom