What's new

Ababeel Missile Tested

It takes decades for us to fully develop and mature a system and we are not like the US that we can develop new systems in quick succession. We just don't have the economic and risk appetite for the kind of progress that we want to see.

That is why I have always believed that we should involve more academia in these projects and stop treating these programs as some spooky military stuff, and more as scientific and technical matters.

Academia is more in tune with the latest ongoing research in the world, and has the capacity to quickly understand and implement it. Half the work is already done by whoever has done the original research, you just need to recreate it and then build up on it. That is where the engineers come.

Most of the strategic organizations have a build focus, and no one in Pakistan has a research focus. Mistarion walay kaam kar rahay hain to put it in conventional terms.

This is why the US is so far ahead. You realize this only when you actually study in the US. Half the projects are sponsored by DARPA. NSA is giving students scholarships, internships and more to study. PhD groups are working on projects for the DoD. I have seen 4th year undergrad students and post docs working on these problems.

Silver lining though, there has been some progress. I heard my former institute was in some agreement with PAC Kamra for NDT stuff. But don't exactly know the status of that. Guess it will just take time for the process to mature.

Last edited:
That is why I have always believed that we should involve more academia in these projects and stop treating these programs as some spooky military stuff, and more as scientific and technical matters.

Academia is more in tune with the latest ongoing research in the world, and has the capacity to quickly understand and implement it. Half the work is already done by whoever has done the original research, you just need to recreate it and then build up on it. That is where the engineers come.

Most of the strategic organizations have a build focus, and no one in Pakistan has a research focus. Mistarion walay kaam kar rahay hain to put it in conventional terms.

This is why the US is so far ahead. You realize this only when you actually study in the US. Half the projects are sponsored by DARPA. NSA is giving students scholarships, internships and more to study. PhD groups are working on projects for the DoD. I have seen 4th year undergrad students and post docs working on these problems.

Silver lining though, there has been some progress. I heard my former institute was in some agreement with PAC Kamra for NDT stuff. But don't exactly know the status of that. Guess it will just take time for the process to mature.
100% agreed.

I think we are seeing some positive signs towards this as some corners of the mil-establishment have realised this, we saw NUST get involved with certain other technology development. (IIRC the AESA radar modules)

Well Pakistan Army wanted to Welcome that fat corrupt Piggy Nawaz, so they celebrated it by firing an under-developed missile. Really Nice !

Pakistan has successfully conducted a flight test of Ababeel Weapon System 🇵🇰

-Specifications

-MIRV based MR BM
-Range: 2200Km, TEL, Solidfuel
-Warhead: 3-8 MIRVs (3RV of 500kg, 5RV of 300kg, 8RV of 185kg)/Total Payload:1500kg
-Purpose: To penetrate & defeat India's BMD

-Specifications

-MIRV based MR BM
-Warhead: 3-8 MIRVs (3RV of 500kg, 5RV of 300kg, 8RV of 185kg)/Total Payload:1500kg

Can it "fire" upto 8 MIRVs?

-Specifications

-MIRV based MR BM
Source for the specifications? 😲

This is very good news. We need more work on MaRVs too and greater precision to increase chances of penetrating BMDs.

Last edited:

-Specifications

-MIRV based MR BM
I am assuming that going by the size of the third stage on Ababeel, the payload capacity got to be higher than 1.5 tons. May be 2 tons.
Specially going by the stated ranges.
The missile on which Ababeel is based, the Shaheen 3 has a range of 2750 km. But Ababeel loses 500km range despite having a significant third stage. The most probable explanation of losing 500km range is because it carries a lot more weight than Shaheen 3.
Opinions plz.

3 large ones (500KG) , 5 medium sized ones (300KG), or 8 small ones (185KG) according to the source

I am assuming that going by the size of the third stage on Ababeel, the payload capacity got to be higher than 1.5 tons. May be 2 tons.
Specially going by the stated ranges.
The missile on which Ababeel is based, the Shaheen 3 has a range of 2750 km. But Ababeel loses 500km range despite having a significant third stage. The most probable explanation of losing 500km range is because it carries a lot more weight than Shaheen 3.
Opinions plz.
The Shaheen 3 first and second stage might just be for the sake of testing the MIRV warhead, it's possible that once the technology is successfully tested and validated, newer stages with wider diameters could be tested.

Possibly increasing range, or otherwise they could increase diameter but decrease length keeping the same range 🤔

Warheads fall into 3 categories
Strategic for large scale indiscriminate destruction. Such as cities.

Sub strategic for limited but significant destruction. Such a large naval base or airfield.

Tactical for small scale destruction in battlefield or military bases.

It's not worth it for missiles like Shaheen series and Ababeel to carry anything less than at least sub strategic yield. Most probably Strategic yield.

Such warheads are large and heavy and too many cannot be carried, unless the missile is 2 meter wide and weighs 50 tons.

Most sensible configuration for Ababeel is 3x Shaheen 3 sized warheads.
I am saying this , because Shaheen 3 has the newest warhead, not used on any other Pakistani missile.

Warheads fall into 3 categories
Strategic for large scale indiscriminate destruction. Such as cities.

Sub strategic for limited but significant destruction. Such a large naval base or airfield.

Tactical for small scale destruction in battlefield or military bases.

It's not worth it for missiles like Shaheen series and Ababeel to carry anything less than at least sub strategic yield. Most probably Strategic yield.

Such warheads are large and heavy and too many cannot be carried, unless the missile is 2 meter wide and weighs 50 tons.

Most sensible configuration for Ababeel is 3x Shaheen 3 sized warheads.
I am saying this , because Shaheen 3 has the newest warhead, not used on any other Pakistani missile.
Are there any plans for 2m+ diameter missiles?

Also, a new warhead means an untested warhead. There haven't been hot tests since 1998, so I would imagine PAEC is using supercomputer to simulate the yields?

If new warheads are possible, are there plans for thermonuclear warheads or boosted fission device?

-Specifications

-MIRV based MR BM
You took that off wikipedia ..right!!

Are there any plans for 2m+ diameter missiles?

Also, a new warhead means an untested warhead. There haven't been hot tests since 1998, so I would imagine PAEC is using supercomputer to simulate the yields?

If new warheads are possible, are there plans for thermonuclear warheads or boosted fission device?
All warheads currently in use by Pakistan on Shaheen series and Nasr, are pretty advanced and already boosted by fusion .

Back
Top Bottom