What's new

A top cop in Kashmir arrested for recruiting, then killing rebels

Contrary to what do you believe (or want to believe),I was the 1st to raise the doubt.And no,I'm neither supporting or condemning him based on this particular article.What I was praising him were for his humint network and his intentions to bring those hideous criminals to justice.
And inserting a mole into the terrorrist network is the oldest and most effective way of conducting CO-IN OPs,nothing wrong in that.And about this article,what if the writter got it all wrong that the officer didn't kill those who he encouraged but killed those who were the real ones based on thehir info??Or what if he intentionally did this as a propaganda?See,the possibilities are just endless.

as I said earlier my point of argument is not whether he did the act as said in the article with quotes from cops or not , my argument is if he encouraged and dragged youth in to joining terrorist org to be arrested or killed later then he has done wrong,do you or do you not agree ? The comments on this thread was like " so what if he did so, the youth is guilty of joining terrorist org so deserve to be trapped and killed like that " I don't agree with that.

Oh and about getting charged and arrested by the same police-there too seems to be another side of the story since some senior officials of the same police are alleging this incident to be intra service rivalry!!Now which one you want to believe??Because the OP seems to be a more biased one because other than the paragraph on the alleged crimes of Mr Sonu,it's same old rhethoric about the attrocites committed by Indian Armed Forces in Kashmir,protest on roads and what not!
And wrt to assuming,I'm not assuming anything because I know from personal experience that assumption is indeed the mother of all fu*k ups.I learned it the hard and bitter way my friend.

as I said earlier my point of argument is not whether he did the act as said in the article with quotes from cops or not , my argument is if he encouraged and dragged youth in to joining terrorist org to be arrested or killed later then he has done wrong,do you or do you not agree ? The comments on this thread was like " so what if he did so, the youth is guilty of joining terrorist org so deserve to be trapped and killed like that " I don't agree with that.

Well,in that case there is nothing to be disagree with you.What I'm trying to convey here is that don't accuse the officer yet.That's all.

This is the definition of entrapment and creating armed rebels and fomenting your own insurgency. India consistently blames Pakistan for it's insurgency in Kashmir and says most of the fighters are Punjabi, and now it is known a major Indian police officer in IoK is recruiting rebels and fomenting their rebellion themselves via entrapment. It's not like they are able to kill all of those they recruited.

This also means the rebels India has killed recently may be rebels they themselves recruited and entrapped hence easily killed them.

Entrapment is exactly the right word here: the gusto with which so-called law enforcement agencies in certain so-called "liberal, free and democratic" countries have engineered plots against the state by inducing, cajoling, bribing or threatening dire consequences to useful idiots in their societies (usually young, impressionable Muslim kids lacking meaningful direction in life) in order to perpetuate their "war on terror" nonsense/myth is probably without historical parallel!

It truly makes one wonder just what standards of justice prevail in these countries, and what kind of law their enforcers have sworn to uphold. The response of some (not all) Indians to this story is telling: two wrongs suddenly do make a right! Had it been the case that this plot would have gone uncovered, and someone would have accused Sub-Inspector Sharma of masterminding the entrapment, the "conspiracy theory" meme would also have been unleashed with full force!

The CS Monitor article is a worthy addition to the the publicly available data on entrapment activities in secular liberal democracies. Here are two more that I found through Google:

1. independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/exclusive-how-mi5-blackmails-british-muslims-1688618.html
"Work for us or we will say you are a terrorist". A sinister story of how five British Muslim kids were picked on and threatened to either become informants, or some white officers (clearly desperate for promotions) would - and in fact briefly did - make life hell for them.

2. The Terror Factory: Inside the FBI's Manufactured War on Terrorism.
This is a book available on Amazon. I can do no better than quote from the book description:

A groundbreaking work of investigative journalism, The Terror Factory: Inside the FBI's Manufactured War on Terrorism exposes how the FBI has, under the guise of engaging in counterterrorism since 9/11, built a network of more than 15,000 informants whose primary purpose is to infiltrate Muslim communities to create and facilitate phony terrorist plots so that the Bureau can then claim it is winning the war on terror.

An outgrowth of Trevor Aaronson's work as an investigative reporting fellow at the University of California, Berkeley, which culminated in an award-winning cover story in Mother Jones magazine, The Terror Factory reveals shocking information about the criminals, con men, and liars the FBI uses as paid informants--including the story of an accused murderer who has become one of the Bureau's most prolific terrorism snitches--as well as documenting the extreme methods the FBI uses to ensnare Muslims in terrorist plots, which are in reality conceived and financed by the FBI.

The book also offers unprecedented detail into how the FBI has transformed from a reactive law enforcement agency to a proactive counterterrorism organization that traps hapless individuals in manufactured terrorist plots in order to justify the $3 billion it spends every year fighting terrorism.

Nobody can deny that something like this does not happen, but this is a small case, majority of terrorists were pakistanis. You dont see any terrorism in kashmir now, because pakistan stopped pushing them (or cant push them).
Homegrown insurgency simply does not exist anymore there.

And you really think everything that the cops in india is legal?

It's not what they do but how they do it. If you support them for an action that you think is right today what assurance can you give that they want use the same freedom for a wrong doing?

Some times you have to stop thinking about the method and start thinking of getting the job done at any means necessary.There is a reason that phrase was invented that 'Catching the bull by its horns'. . . . . . . . . . .

Mate, If justice was served in such a way then how different are the police to the terrorist. There is also a saying that "two wrongs dont make a right".

Nobody can deny that something like this does not happen, but this is a small case, majority of terrorists were pakistanis. You dont see any terrorism in kashmir now, because pakistan stopped pushing them (or cant push them).
Homegrown insurgency simply does not exist anymore there.

Translation: Yes, entrapment does happen, but let's ignore that and concentrate on "terrorism" that used to emanate from Pakistan.

Firstly, Pakistan's support for Kashmir's Muslims is widely seen both within Pakistan, and generally within the wider Muslim world, as a moral issue. It is also NOT the main topic of this thread, which is about the entrapment activities of Sub-Inspector Sharma. Kindly do not derail the thread - there have been other threads that deal with this particular issue, and you can certainly start one of your own.

Secondly, your comment "this is a small case" is counter-factual to the original article, according to which, a wider investigation has been launched into the activities of Sharma and his bodyguard. IF this were a "small case", such an investigation would surely have been unlikely.

You want to present India in a good light? Concentrate on the fact that the authorities at least arrested Sharma, and launched the investigation. Which is considerably superior, morally and legally, to the complete inaction on the part of the British and American authorities (see my previous post) against officers involved in entrapment in their countries. For this, the Indian authorities - and #Agnostic Indian, #SR-91 and #Joekrish on this thread - deserve to be thanked for not trying to defend the morally indefensible.

this is called sting operation. if a person was truly loyal to motherland he would never be a terrorist.
eg, even if i am given all the money in the wordl i wont be a gaddar.

Translation: Yes, entrapment does happen, but let's ignore that and concentrate on "terrorism" that used to emanate from Pakistan.

Firstly, Pakistan's support for Kashmir's Muslims is widely seen both within Pakistan, and generally within the wider Muslim world, as a moral issue. It is also NOT the main topic of this thread, which is about the entrapment activities of Sub-Inspector Sharma. Kindly do not derail the thread - there have been other threads that deal with this particular issue, and you can certainly start one of your own.

Secondly, your comment "this is a small case" is counter-factual to the original article, according to which, a wider investigation has been launched into the activities of Sharma and his bodyguard. IF this were a "small case", such an investigation would surely have been unlikely.

You want to present India in a good light? Concentrate on the fact that the authorities at least arrested Sharma, and launched the investigation. Which is considerably superior, morally and legally, to the complete inaction on the part of the British and American authorities (see my previous post) against officers involved in entrapment in their countries. For this, the Indian authorities - and #Agnostic Indian, #SR-91 and #Joekrish on this thread - deserve to be thanked for not trying to defend the morally indefensible.

I am not the one derailing the therad, that should be blamed on the gentleman who tried to imply majority of terrorists are fake terrorists proped up by Indian agencies. That is incorrect.
ontopic, I dont want to defend these people, they should launch a proper investigation and punish all involved including the guy in news.

I am not the one derailing the therad, that should be blamed on the gentleman who tried to imply majority of terrorists are fake terrorists proped up by Indian agencies.

Not sure who you are referring to, but:

Post #3: This also means the rebels India has killed recently may be rebels they themselves recruited and entrapped

Post #28: how many other incidents of terrorism were actually sponsored by Indian uniformed officers to eventually catch and kill their own recruits in exchange for medals or fame.

Both raise suspicions, but neither of them imply or state that the majority of "terrorists" were fake ones propped up by Indian agencies.

ontopic, I dont want to defend these people, they should launch a proper investigation and punish all involved including the guy in news.

Good to know you have moral uprightness - thanks!

Was cop mentally ill? he encouraged youth to join militancy and then he killed them just to get reward.

But according to the report below this was the news...

Cop wanted to kill terrorists who beheaded jawans - Hindustan Times

Cop wanted to kill terrorists who beheaded jawans :

Sub-inspector Shiv Kumar Sharma alias Sonu, arrested for allegedly plotting a grenade attack at a police station in Doda, was working on a plan to kill the terrorists involved in beheading of two jawans along with Pak soldiers in Mendhar sector on January 1.
Sonu was shown the video clip of beheading of army personnel by his source Abdul Rashid, alias Abdullah, a top terrorist of Lashkar-e-Taiba who was involved in a number of killings and had surrendered before him in 2008, and was subsequently released on bail.

Sonu along with a head constable was arrested on Monday by the police after five accused arrested earlier had told the police that they were supplied arms and ammunition by Sonu to revive terrorism in the district.

According to sources, Abdullah, who was in regular touch with Sonu, had only recently in their secret meeting had shown him the video clip of beheading the soldiers.

"Sonu, who had killed about 70 terrorists individually, was incensed after seeing the video. He made it a point to kill them. As part of the plan, he asked Abdullah to bring the terrorists involved in the beheading incident to Doda district. He had planned to eliminate them here," said a source, wishing not to be named. The source had the video clip. Abdullah had demanded money for it to which Sonu agreed.

As part of the plan, Abdullah called his mentor Khubed, a top LeT terrorists operating across the border, to send some terrorists in the district to revive terrorism.

"Khubid told Abdullah that he first has to make some terrorist strikes to convince them that he is still active after which the terrorists can be send," said the source.

Sources said Abdullah had specifically asked for terrorist involved in beheading of Lance Naik Hemraj and Lance Naik Sudhakar Singh.

Abdullah had then activated his fellow workers who lobbed grenade at Thathri police station, about 250 km from Jammu, on April 28. The police had arrested five people in this connection.

"It's most likely that Sonu did not take his senior police officials in the loop and was thus a victim of internal rivalry, as this was going to be a big catch had the terrorists come here and then got killed," said a senior police official, wishing not to be named.

Sonu, who had been involved in many anti-terrorist operations, carries the reputation of being most daring officer with a strong network. He was personally praised by the then home minister LK Advani who had visited Doda in 1998 when terrorist had shot dead 25 people of a marriage party in the area.

The state unit of the BJP has decided to rake up this issue in national executive meeting of the party at Goa.

"He is being victimised. Inquiry should be held against those who were responsible for his arrest," said Sunil Sharma, BJP leader from Kishtwar and member of the youth wing of national executive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom