What's new

A Look At Iran’s Fake American Food Franchises

Arabian Legend

Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
From Pizza Hat to Mash Donald’s bootleg American franchises have been popping up in the Islamic Republic of Iran for a while now.

Amidst the occasional televised chants of “Death to America” that are mostly disregarded by the majority of the population, a common truth lies amongst the Iranian people: They love the American people and its fast food. Albeit hard to believe — given the current political stalemate that has brought about staunch sanctions — the Islamic Republic of Iran is the most pro-American country in the Middle East.

Although the US and Iran have no diplomatic relations, restaurant owners have attempted to emulate American fast food franchise. Since the early 2000s, bootleg American fast food franchises have made their way throughout the country and have captured the hearts and taste buds of Iranians alike.

Baskin-Robbins

enhanced-buzz-32637-1382201318-0.jpg

Baskin-Robbins has popped up in Tehran, complete with 31 flavors and its signature pink spoon. According to its owners, the ice cream is in fact gelato ice cream.

Although there are bootleg Baskin-Robbins in Iran, Iranian ice cream company Choopan beat the American franchise’s Guinness World Record of having the largest tub of ice cream at 5 tons of chocolate, beating Baskin-Robbins’ 4 tons of vanilla. In a statement, Baskin-Robbins mentioned, “While we understand another company is vying to break this record, we remain focused on serving our guests around the world our delicious variety of ice cream flavors, custom ice cream cakes and frozen treats, and wouldn’t rule out trying to break another record in the future.”

Chipotle

enhanced-buzz-5753-1382201660-2.jpg

The Mexican grill fast food franchise known for its signature burritos and tacos has a bootleg version in Iran, complete with its smoked chili logo. Although it serves Mexican dishes like burritos, nachos, and virgin margaritas, it also serves Iranian pizza and hot wings.

What separates the original Chipotle from its bootleg sister is that it is the first American restaurant to reduce genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in its cooking and ingredients.

Dominos Pizza

enhanced-buzz-3252-1382538717-0.jpg

Driving on the main road by the Caspian Sea, there just so happens to be a conspicuous bootleg Domino’s Pizza. Whereas the original Domino’s is solely a delivery franchise, in Iran it is a restaurant where one can enjoy pizza or any of its other non-original menu items such as French fries.

KFC

enhanced-buzz-2897-1382201506-0.jpg

KFC restaurants in Iran closed after the 1979 revolution and although varying versions of KFC existed – such as Kabooky Fried Chicken and Super Star Fried Chicken – it took Amir-Hossein Alizadeh, the owner of the bootleg franchise, five years before the Iranian government allowed him to open KFC.

Yum! Brands Inc., which owns KFC, denied having opened any restaurants in Iran. Its spokesperson asserted, “We have filed a legal action against the company and individuals claiming to have rights to open KFC restaurants in Iran.”

Because of sanctions on Iran, the price of chicken has tripled, which prevents some Iranians from having one of their favorite food staples.

Mash Donald’s

enhanced-buzz-12468-1382202163-1.jpg

McDonald’s is the international representative of American pop culture. This is why in 1994, someone managed to open a bootleg version for two days, only to be threatened by the Basij with arson. Mash Donald’s is the closest emulation of the most prominent symbol of American food consumerism, with locations in Tehran, Mashhad, and other cities. Mash Donald’s not only serves hamburgers, but hot dogs in baguette bread.

Pizza Hat

enhanced-buzz-8388-1382543063-0.jpg

In Iran Pizza Hut is spelt “Pizza Hat” – which makes sense since the symbol for the franchise happens to be manipulated into a man with a hat. Pizza Hat not only serves pizza, but lasagna and chicken wings as well.

The Iranian government seems to be fans of infiltrating Pizza Hut as well: in 2011, a ring of CIA informants were captured at a local Pizza Hut restaurant in Beirut, Lebanon by Hezbollah and supposedly Iran. The spy ring apparently even used the word “pizza” when discussing meeting times.

Raees Coffee

enhanced-buzz-11579-1382539268-1.jpg

Raees Coffee – literally “Boss” Coffee – is a popular Iranian coffee franchise that happened to adopt the logo as well as the black and green color scheme that Starbucks has – except Raees has a man with a mustache and a top hat. According to an article by Reuters, Starbucks attempted to sue the bootleg franchise with no success.

Besides serving coffee and desserts such as crepes, it also serves occasional doses of nationalism: on the annual “Persian Gulf Day,” it covered cappuccinos and lattes with a cinnamon Persian Gulf stencil.

Subways

enhanced-buzz-12098-1382540222-0.jpg

In the Motel Ghoo area by the Caspian Sea in the North of Iran, there is a Subway franchise look-alike – except for the scrambled writing on its storefront. Upon entering, the owner managed to replicate the submarine sandwich ordering system offered by Subway, complete with 6-inch and foot-long subs and even the “Eat Fresh” slogan. However, don’t expect to order ham at this place: ham is not part of the Islamic diet. What this bootleg Subway happens to also serve is pizza – a popular Iranian delicacy.

Interestingly, Ali Saifi – a member of the Iranian Diaspora – owns some 390 Subway restaurants in the United States. Perhaps one of his family members opened up the bootleg version in Iran?

Super Star

enhanced-buzz-11218-1382461751-5.jpg

The name might sound familiar to you because it is actually the namesake of a popular burger at Carl’s Jr., also known as Hardee’s in the Middle East. Super Star was a big hit when it first opened on Valiasr Street in Tehran during the early 2000s. Not only is the menu reminiscent of the American fast food joint, it gained notoriety after a rumor circulated that burger buns were imported from the original franchise located in the Emirates.

In 2002, journalist Azadeh Moaveni described the bootleg franchise as a place where “smiling employees wear polo shirts monogrammed with the Carl’s Jr. star, Thank you is printed on the swinging door of the trash can, and a comments box solicits complaints. The only design element that would be out of place in an authentic branch is the discreet plaque reminding customers to please respect Islamic morals.”

Super Star has since expanded with more locations and a sister franchise: Super Star Fried Chicken (SFC) – you can imagine what the menu there consists of.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/politicallyaff/the-greatest-form-of-flattery-imitation-american-ebwy

That means the money from these won’t be going to global corporations mostly in the US which is a good thing, infact all of the ME should not have Mcdonalds and the other shit.

All the ME? who the fook are you to speak on behalf of the rest of the ME countries?

Read my name.

how about your failed state? do you guys have Mac, KFC..etc or the Mullah of Iran has forbidden that too in Iraq >his new colony.

http://www.tehrantimes.com/economy-...ill-vacuum-in-oil-market-caused-by-sanctions-
Not a politics thread.

Nope, we have other fast food franchises, why would we want to flood the country with Mcdonalds ? give me a good reason, employing people to a corporation in foreign countries.

Come on bro, let them have the restaurants they want to. I am not that fond of fast food chains either but if they like it then let them make their own since they can't have the real ones (American ones).

And Doritos11 has a good point bro. Our Arab and Middle Eastern cuisine is tasty, rich, diverse and mostly healthy in the right amounts of course. The only problem is that it usually takes a long time to make. Hence the popularity of fast food chains.

But of course I can also enjoy a burger, ice-cream etc. from time to time. I do it here in Denmark too if I need to catch the metro or if I am too lazy to make a big meal myself.

I know that you are probably angry and tired of some of the Iranian trolls that troll every Arab thread.

But yes, the names are hilarious.;)

Yes, too many foreign companies which employ local people isn’t good.
hotels shouldn’t be majority from foreign companies, it’s not good for the countries economy, why do that when they can make their hotel company, same for fastfood.

And may I also mention that I am also a little bit against the popularity of some fast food chains. Not because I am against Western influence or something like that but simply because it can create obesity. And yes, I know that our Arab food, sweats etc. and mother's, grandmothers cooking can do the same. But look at the obesity levels in all developed countries where fast food chains are popular. Take a look at Mexico for example. Next door to USA and they copy everything and now they are the fattest nation on earth surpassing their American neighbors.

Also in KSA we also have our own "fast food" chains. For example Al-Baik.;)

And of course countries should chose what they want themselves.

Arabian Legend, just admit your curiosity has been caught, and you want a pepperoni slice from Pizza Hat. LOLOLOL

LOL, I wish the curiosity was the same in the McDonalds that can be found in the Central Station of Copenhagen.

2vx130h.jpg

If this picture rings any bells @ResurgentIran

Of course a lot of the work face happen to be young Arabs, Somalians, Pakistanis Iranians, Turks etc. earning a little money outside of their studies.
There are also often fights there, LOL.

:lol:

LOL, I wish the curiosity was the same in the McDonalds that can be found in the Central Station of Copenhagen.

2vx130h.jpg

If this picture rings any bells @ResurgentIran

:lol: HAHA

Yeah it sure does. lol Whenever I travel to Lund in Sweden (where my family lives) I make a stop in Hovedbanegården to switch train, and I occasionally indulge myself in eating some Bigmac! :D

Arabian Legend, just admit your curiosity has been caught, and you want a pepperoni slice from Pizza Hat. LOLOLOL

Lol, Im not fan of Fast food either, maybe KFC sometimes however, the fast food chains we have in KSA are much more tasty than the ones in north America. for example I cannot eat KFC in the states or Canada for the fact that it taste so bad to the point that you want to throw up. I don't know why maybe because of ours being Halal slaughtered according to the Islamic way.

Yeah it sure does. lol Whenever I travel to Lund in Sweden (where my family lives) I make a stop in Hovedbanegården to switch train, and I occasionally indulge myself in eating some Bigmac! :D

LOL, we have maybe seen each other without knowing it. Although I doubt it since nearly 2 million people live in Greater Copenhagen and 1 million more across the Strait in Sweden (Malmoe) just 30 km away or so.
There is also a 7eleven and that Indian restaurant which I can't remember the name of.

Not far from where I live there is apparently a really good Indian/Pakistani restaurant. And at the same time there are many Arab restaurants and also Turkish. Smaller amount of Iranian restaurants though I have witnessed. If we exclude all the pizzerias, kebab places etc.
There is also this Arab restaurant on Noerrebro which is very popular. They make different dishes each day and it is not expensive. Very popular among students and people in general. They also make cultural arrangements to bridge the gap between people. The owner is a very friendly guy. He is from Jordan btw. "Arabisk madhus" it is called I believe.

I am a frequent guest, LOL.

zne9.jpg

2exnitv.jpg

4l14j6.jpg

n3n1y0.jpg

2el6mah.jpg

It is nothing extravagant. Just simple, cheap and tasty eating.

Lol, Im not fan of Fast food either, maybe KFC sometimes however, the fast food chains we have in KSA are much more tasty than the ones in north America. for example I cannot eat KFC in the states or Canada for the fact that it taste so bad to the point that you want to throw up. I don't know why maybe because of ours being Halal slaughtered according to the Islamic way.

Yes, the difference is very significant bro.

Al-Baik says hello:D

LOL, we have maybe seen each other without knowing it. Although I doubt it since nearly 2 million people live in Greater Copenhagen and 1 million more across the Strait in Sweden (Malmoe) just 30 km away or so.
There is also a 7eleven and that Indian restaurant which I can't remember the name of.

Not far from where I live there is apparently a really good Indian/Pakistani restaurant. And at the same time there are many Arab restaurants and also Turkish. Smaller amount of Iranian restaurants though I have witnessed. If we exclude all the pizzerias, kebab places etc.
There is also this Arab restaurant on Noerrebro which is very popular. They make different dishes each day and it is not expensive. Very popular among students and people in general. They also make cultural arrangements to bridge the gap between people. The owner is a very friendly guy. He is from Jordan btw. "Arabisk madhus" it is called I believe.

I am a frequent guest, LOL.

zne9.jpg

2exnitv.jpg

4l14j6.jpg

n3n1y0.jpg

2el6mah.jpg

It is nothing extravagant. Just simple, cheap and tasty eating.

Hehe, well I only go home maybe twice or three times a year, so chances are slim we have passed each other. :)
That food look delicious. I have to go there next time instead, if its not too far from central station. :)

Yes, they are indeed. Where you living in Southern Sweden (Lund) or Northern Denmark. Can't remember the name of that city you mentioned once.

I found a link. I believe it is this.

bund_info.jpg

You can even call them right now.:laugh:

All of Noerrebro is full of foreign restaurants. I also saw 2 Iranian restaurants. So enough to pick from. As long as I am not forced to eat some Danish recipes.:o:

Back
Top Bottom