What's new

A Chinese opportunity that India Tourism misses

ChinaToday

Reaction score
Country
China
Through his critically-acclaimed film Life of Pi, Taiwan-born director Ang Lee has appeared to have succeeded in doing what the Indian government has failed to achieve over more than a decade of tourism campaigns and promotion drives in China: rekindling Chinese interest in travelling to India and in Indian culture.

The film, which has scenes set in Puducherry in South India, has triggered huge interest in China since its opening last week, breaking box office records and raking in $16 million in its opening weekend — more than four times the amount in India.

Beyond the box office too, the film has sparked wide debate — and thousands of comments — in the vibrant online community, with Chinese writers and microbloggers seeing the film as a long-overdue introduction to Indian culture for a Chinese public often ignorant about India.

Lost chance

“A beautiful film; India is now the most beautiful travel destination in my heart,” wrote a blogger named Beautiful Carpenter who writes on travel and fashion.

Au Xin, a DJ at Radio Guangdong, said in a message to his 45,000 followers on the Chinese Twitter equivalent Sina Weibo that what he liked about the film was director “Ang Lee’s respect and belief in Indian culture.”

Miss Ruby, a Beijing-based microblogger, added on Weibo in a message that echoed most of the online reactions that the film, which also dwells on India’s religious and cultural traditions, would “correct the prejudice and ignorance about Indian culture [in China],” while Xu Xiaohuang, an executive at an insurance company in Zhejiang, said the film was “meaningful and beautiful, and makes me want to travel to India.”

Another microblogger in Shanghai, who professes an interest in films and travel, said in a post on Weibo that he had taken his daughter to see Life of Pi. “India’s Minister of Travel should award Ang Lee with a medal!”, he wrote. “He presents the beauty of India to the world.”

The Indian government has not, however, followed his suggestion of using the film’s hugely anticipated release here last week to promote tourism in India – a popular practice followed by other countries looking to tap the China market.

China’s booming tourism market has, over the past few years, largely ignored India. Of the around 50 million Chinese who travel overseas every year spending some $40 billion, less than 1,00,000 travel to India on business and tourism, according to tourism figures from two years ago.

This year’s tourism figures, excluding business travel, paint an even bleaker picture. In the past six months, India only issued 25,000 tourist visas in its Embassy in Beijing and three Consulates in Shanghai, Guangzhou and Hong Kong, suggesting that tourism figures are only in the range of 50,000 annually — 0.001 per cent of the total outbound tourism.

Chinese tour operators say demand for travel in India is low because of inadequate promotion efforts in recent years — particularly involving tour operators — and dissatisfaction with the service offered by current operators, from a lack of Chinese-speaking guides and the availability of Chinese cuisine. Hence, tourists were choosing to travel to Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and even Sri Lanka and Nepal instead.

Up until March, India did not even have a director at its Tourism Office in Beijing, with the position remaining vacant for many months because of delays in appointing a new director. Officials in New Delhi acknowledge that the China market is low on the Tourism Ministry’s priorities, reflected in the small budget accorded to tourism promotion in China which has, in recent years, not been expanded despite the multibillion dollar tourism boom.

When asked why the Indian government did not, for instance, look to use the success of Life of Pi or the hugely successful 3 Idiots by flying in actors such as Irrfan Khan or Aamir Khan who have since become popular in China — a practice followed by other countries — one official said: “The budget for tourism isn't even enough for campaigns such as external advertising, so where is the money for flying in film stars?”

The Hindu : Opinion / Op-Ed : A Chinese opportunity that India Tourism misses

I know...we are always late in the game....Thanks for your post...

I am not sure if India has missed a chance of selling its tourism to China.

I am sure that Indians are missing a chance to go & see China. Each time I have gone I have returned happier than the last.

If somehow the language barrier can be breached Indians will find it to be a wonderful travel destination with both the old & new co existing wonderfully well.

I wish the Chinese embassy would give visas for more than a month and with multiple entries like a US visa.

Chinese are the new westerners in terms of money power and spending. It is time India focusses its energies in promoting the Indian tourism in China. India need to have Mandarin speaking travel guides and hotel employees. Look at the U.S hotels which cater to the Chinese tourists after recognizing their money power. As for Ang Lee, he did a wonderful job in depicting the Indian culture accurately(it is Tamilian culture to be exact)

I am sure that Indians are missing a chance to go & see China. Each time I have gone I have returned happier than the last.

If somehow the language barrier can be breached Indians will find it to be a wonderful travel destination with both the old & new co existing wonderfully well.

I wish the Chinese embassy would give visas for more than a month and with multiple entries like a US visa.

They would, if we reciprocate. Indian visa is abitch. Even harder is an Indian citizenship.

If you remember, there was this case of self immolation when Indian citizenship was denied even after 14 or so years.

I wish we can backpack around china.....I am sure china has better places than beijing, shanghai, hongkong macau...

I wish we can backpack around china.....I am sure china has better places than beijing, shanghai, hongkong macau...

Try Guilin or Zhangjiajie if you like natural scenery, I enjoyed it a lot.

Though personally I have always wanted to go to the Harbin Ice Festival, in which they build an entire city out of ice and let you walk around in it. :woot:

China needs more people like yourself, someone who actually went and understood more about the nation and its culture and can share interesting real life experiences with the rest of us forum members.
Tourism between India and China alone can be huge, considering our population and ever growing middle and upper class. It will definitely help further understanding between our people, dispelling any perceptual distortions, inaccurate judgments, illogical interpretations etc.

I am glad you went and that you've enjoyed your stay on each occasion.

Try Guilin or Zhangjiajie if you like natural scenery, I enjoyed it a lot.

Though personally I have always wanted to go to the Harbin Ice Festival, in which they build an entire city out of ice and let you walk around in it. :woot:

The tourist guide wouldnt take us anywhere other than cities, even when we offered to pay them. ( though our itinerary said 3 cities, we had 3 spare days )

Photography is my interest....Geat wall was a treat though.

China needs more people like yourself, someone who actually went and understood more about the nation and its culture and can share interesting real life experiences with the rest of us forum members.
Tourism between India and China alone can be huge, considering our population and ever growing middle and upper class. It will definitely help further understanding between our people, dispelling any perceptual distortions, inaccurate judgments, illogical interpretations etc.

I am glad you went and that you've enjoyed your stay on each occasion.

This is a link to one of the threads I had opened when I went in the past.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/members-club/85464-china-i-see.html?highlight=

In my opinion , besides investing in each others country on industries etc we also need to invest in Tourism & travel. This will have a two fold advantage - helping local economy and greater interaction between people which will help clear may cobwebs of the minds.

What is this "Life of Pi"? It seems like a math joke. "What is the life of Pi?" "3.1415..." Anyways is it a good movie?

Both country's tourism ministry should try harder. Not many Indians know china as a travel destination (compared to hongkong or malayasia)

World Tourism rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think India just doesn't have a lot of international tourist arrivals in general.

Read:

Ranking in Asia:

Rank Country International
tourist
arrivals
(2011)[2]
1 China 57.58 million
2 Malaysia 24.71 million
3 Hong Kong 22.32 million
4 Thailand 19.10 million
5 Macau 12.93 million
6 Singapore 10.39 million
7 South Korea 9.80 million
8 Indonesia 7.65 million
9 India 6.29 million
10 Japan 6.22 million

Ranking in the world

Rank Country UNWTO
Region[5] International
tourist
arrivals
(2011)[2] International
tourist
arrivals
(2010)[2] Change
(2010 to
2011)
1 France Europe 79.5 million 77.1 million +3.0%
2 United States North America 62.3 million 59.8 million +4.2%
3 China Asia 57.6 million 55.7 million +3.4%
4 Spain Europe 56.7 million 52.7 million +7.6%
5 Italy Europe 46.1 million 43.6 million +5.7%
6 Turkey Europe 29.3 million 27.0 million +8.7%
7 United Kingdom Europe 29.2 million 28.3 million +3.2%
8 Germany Europe 28.4 million 26.9 million +5.5%
9 Malaysia Asia 24.7 million 24.6 million +0.6%
10 Mexico North America 23.4 million 23.3 million +0.5%
Note: see the UNWTO World Tourism Barometer for the full rankings.[2]

Both India and China have rich cultures, historic places, scenic tourist destinations and both have huge numbers of tourists to offer to each other. We should rather work on more cultural exchange so that both can benefit from each other.

Its great that Chinese are getting to know about Indian culture through films. Hope this success of one film will help in cooperation between Indian film industry and Chinese.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom