What's new

99% fail test for school teachers in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

fast

Reaction score
NEW DELHI: In an alarming indictment of the quality of training given to prospective school teachers, over 99% aspirants failed to clear the Central Teacher Eligibility Test (CTET) 2012.

The results of the competency test conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), declared on December 27, 2012, showed that less than 1% of the 7.95 lakh who appeared managed to clear the exam. In fact, since the exam was introduced in 2011, the pass percentage has been consistently declining. Educationists described the situation as alarming and "a wake up call for the quality of BEd degree being granted in the country."

The CTET was introduced in 2011 by the human resource development ministry to improve the quality of teaching in schools after the enactment of the Right to Education Act. CTET certification has been made mandatory to become a teacher for classes I to VIII in any central government school, while CBSE-affiliated schools can either recruit teachers based on CTET or the respective test conducted by states. In fact, the Delhi government too decided to adopt CTET for recruitment of teachers for government-run and aided schools. All CTET applicants need to be BEd graduates.

About 9.40 lakh aspirants registered for the test, conducted in November 2012. Some 7.96 lakh finally appeared for the test, of which only 4,849 managed to clear either Paper I or II or both. Clearing Paper I is mandatory for those wishing to teach classes I to V while Paper 2 is for those wishing to teach classes VI to VIII. Aspirants who wish to get certified for classes I to VIII need to clear both the papers.

The papers feature objective questions which test the aspirants' knowledge of English, mathematics and environmental science.

While the first CTET, conducted in 2011, recorded a pass percentage of around 9%, the figure declined to around 7% in the subsequent test, held on January 2012.

99% fail test for school teachers - Times Of India

this is true.though i expected the figure to be around 90%.

Teachers half the time do not even bother turning up to class to teach! the quality of primary and university level education in India is shockingly bad.

Teachers half the time do not even bother turning up to class to teach! the quality of primary and university level education in India is shockingly bad.

true,i know many teachers who dont turn up.one of them told my mom that they they miss their lectures and make calls to beauty parlours.whereas the men are busy talking or consuming tobacco or paan.
and this takes place even in maharashtra and gujarat.it is even worse in bihar and UP.

true,i know many teachers who dont turn up.one of them told my mom that they they miss their lectures and make calls to beauty parlours.whereas the men are busy talking or consuming tobacco or paan.
and this takes place even in maharashtra and gujarat.it is even worse in bihar and UP.

My Grandma helps every morning to teach the poor kids in her village that do not go school, Hindu or Muslim it does not matter she tries to teach them basics like ABCD and x table etc just so they can get some basic type of knowledge. If we do not start to invest in education and improve the level of schooling how will our young population get the skills to get jobs?

I hate to say it but China is miles ahead of us in education they invested alot of money to get to that standard and we should do the same otherwise in the future we will pay for it.

Good movie by central government , now we can start doing something about it.

sad but true. and thats why private tuition and coaching classes are making fortune in India.

But it is changing.

In east Asia, there is one ancient proverb:
No matter how poor you are, you can't arrears of two type people's wages,teachers and doctors, or no one teach your children and give you medical treatment

My Grandma helps every morning to teach the poor kids in her village that do not go school, Hindu or Muslim it does not matter she tries to teach them basics like ABCD and x table etc just so they can get some basic type of knowledge. If we do not start to invest in education and improve the level of schooling how will our young population get the skills to get jobs?

I hate to say it but China is miles ahead of us in education they invested alot of money to get to that standard and we should do the same otherwise in the future we will pay for it.

well said man.and my salute to your grandma.:tup:

stupid indians...all competent testers will tell you that if you know most of them are going to fail the test, you rewrite the test and lower the standard! if you fail 99% of them, you both fail to differentiate between the more qualified and the less qualified and deprive the less qualified the motivation to improve now that they are among the absolute majority! how stupid can the indian testers be? their teachers should be ashamed for having educated such incompetent people.

I think similar result would be found in BD too, may be in Pk also.

In Pakistan it would be 100%! Education policy here is a joke..

Eorl ⚔;3797379 said:
I think similar result would be found in BD too, may be in Pk also.

i hope in BD and pakistan the tests would be better designed. honestly, the test result itself is a big negative on indian education: of the 99% of the indian teacher population, there must be some who work harder than others, but with a test result like that, who still cares to work hard? and those who didn't work hard, what motivation is there for them to improve now that they could be complacent in the thought that they constitute a 99% majority! this is not the way to do a test, any test. as a foreigner i fail to learn anything from the test about india's teachers, only that the testers are monumentally stupid and incompetent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom