What's new

96.5% kids in india go to school

In 2007 we were making a report on poverty and illitracy abd we went to a construction site and most of the children were playing around again we went on a a similar trip but this time around the no of children was less and when asked about there children. They answerd they were gone to school :toast_sign:
:) Benny if its true (which is not likely keeping in view the past practices in our countries) then its a good omen for millions of poor that their kids are now getting education. If its not true then its a bad omen for fate of education

yeah, Kerala is fully literate. Overall literacy in South India is higher than North India, both for Hindus, Muslims and SCs.

sach2.JPG

Mizoram is not in the list.I think its right behind kerela.

yeah, Kerala is fully literate. Overall literacy in South India is higher than North India, both for Hindus, Muslims and SCs.

sach2.JPG

The 90% for kerala is an incorrect figure.. That day when the literacy rate survey was done, 5% of the people were in que behind the toddy shop and rest on top of coconut trees. :partay:.. so its 98%+ :smokin:

There has been some serious laws and actions against child labour, which was prevalant all along the nation, and was the major factor behind children not send to schools..

There has been strict measures from the governments , central and state levels with wide spread media campaign against the menace, i think its getting the benefits now, hence the change in numbers...

In addition to that Spark let us not forget the awareness programs run by govt and the resultant understanding in general masses. I do not say it is prevalent but i have seen with my own eyes restaurant owners and others small timers who will take any boy or girl as they come cheap themselves reject kids for they don't want to spoil their childhood. Its a start and hope will catch on soon with everybody.

Malayalee's often claim that Kerala has a literacy rate of 100%, is this true?

sach2.JPG

I seriously doubt that..or unless their meaning of literacy end on ability to write their name and signature. I would rather say that certificates and degree can be "purchased" easily in Kerala regardless one academic caliber. I am always peculiar when hiring someone from Kerala because they may not be what their credentials represent. Banglore, Karnataka, Maysore, Gujrat and rest of south I agree is highly literate.

I seriously doubt that..or unless you mean being literate means able to write your name and sign. I would rather say that certificates and degree can be "purchased" easily in South India regardless one academic caliber. I am always peculiar when hiring someone from Kerala because they may not be what their credentials represent. Banglore, Karnataka, Maysore, Gujrat and rest of south I agree is highly literate.

For drawing the name , you dont need to go to schools. Its indeed education that is provided in there.. But cant help it if ur in a state of denial.

For drawing the name , you dont need to go to schools. Its indeed education that is provided in there.. But cant help it if ur in a state of denial.

why to break your head if a person does not want to accept the truth

Haven t you heard the proverb ,which goes like " Its never too late to teach old ......"

i have but this works if a person wants to learn some thing but he is in a complete denial status of what ever is being said

I seriously doubt that..or unless their meaning of literacy end on ability to write their name and signature. I would rather say that certificates and degree can be "purchased" easily in Kerala regardless one academic caliber. I am always peculiar when hiring someone from Kerala because they may not be what their credentials represent. Banglore, Karnataka, Maysore, Gujrat and rest of south I agree is highly literate.

So I do with Pakistanis, When in Idaho, I found two pakistanis who supposedly ( may be they had fraud degrees) passed from Lahore University of Management Sciences,to tell the truth they were not suited even for cleaning johns

If true, its a case of quantity with no quality.

Half of India’s Class 5 children will fail Class 2 test

Every second child in Class 5 in India can’t read a Class 2 text. Less than one child in five can recognize numbers 11 to 99, and more than three out of five can’t solve simple division problems. Overall, after five years of schooling, close to 50 per cent of children are at a level lower than what is expected after two years in school, says India’s most authoritative annual report on the state of education in the country.

The Annual Status of Education Report (ASER) 2010, prepared by the NGO Pratham, was released by Vice-President Hamid Ansari today. The survey, covering 7 lakh children in 14,000 villages across 522 districts, reported a substantial increase in school enrolment figures but no visible improvement in the quality of education.

Across the country, the ability of children to deal with elementary arithmetics has declined. A large percentage of middle school children struggled in their everyday dealings with numbers, such as reading a calendar, estimating volume or calculating area.

Only 65.8% of children in Class 1 can recognize numbers 1-9, down from 69.3% in 2009. The percentage of students in Class 3 who can solve two-digit subtraction problems has fallen from 39% in 2009 to 36.5% in 2010. The percentage of Class 5 children who can solve simple division problems has fallen from 38% in 2009 to 35.9% in 2010.

Hope comes from Bihar — in the last five years, coinciding with the Nitish Kumar government’s tenure, the percentage of out-of-school boys in the 11-14 age group has come down to 4.4, girls to 4.6. In 2006, these numbers were 12.3% and 17.6%. Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh have, in contrast, showed no decline in the percentage of out-of school girls since 2009.

Children from Classes 4 and 5 in Bihar were able to solve — along with children in Kerala — more problems related to calculations of area than children elsewhere.

Good news also comes from Punjab, where the ability of children to solve arithmetical problems has improved consistently over the past few years.

In 2008, 56.3% of children in Class 2 could recognize numbers up to 100; in 2009, this became 59.6%, and in 2010, 70.4%. In 2008, 66.9% of Class 4 students could perform simple subtraction tasks; in 2010, this is 81.4%.

In Karnataka, the percentage of five-year-olds enrolled in school leaped from 17.1% in 2009 to 67.6% in 2010. Nationally, the percentage of out-of-school children is the lowest since 2005, and the percentage of five-year-olds in schools has increased from 54.6 in 2009 to 62.8 in 2010.

Most schools have reasonable infrastructure in terms of classrooms and other facilities, shows the survey. It also notes that a large proportion of schools meet the bulk of the norms and standards required under the Right to Education Act in terms of pupil-teacher and teacher-classroom ratios, and facilities like playgrounds, libraries, toilets, drinking water and office-cum-stores.

I don't know about Zilla Parishad schools,but the Maths for local missionary schools and the SSCs ones are really pathetic,coming from my experience as a tutor for a month.

If true its a case of quantity with no quality.

I don't know about Zilla Parishad schools,but the Maths for local missionary schools and the SSCs ones are really pathetic,coming from my experience as a tutor for a month.

yes thats true,i saw myself.
teachers write on board,and kids copy them in exam
but one thing if u notice is that atleast they are trying to writing and learning upto some level which is even better than before

If true, its a case of quantity with no quality.

Man why do u want pour cold water like this :hitwall::angry:

just kidding :P

Well its start isn't it at least, u can't get it right from the beginning and don't make comparisons i hate them. Every body has their own experiences. Hopefully we will bring in quality soon.

Malayalee's often claim that Kerala has a literacy rate of 100%, is this true?

That is not true , it was 94% in 2008 , i dont know wether it increased to 100% in 2 yrs or not

What your friend might be saying that all people in his generation and that after him have gone to school
Literacy Racte of India Currently stand at 68% as of 2008 , i dont know the current figure but
Literacy rate is quite high among younger generations but still low among those over 40-50
Enrolement ratio in 6-14 age group was 91% in 2005 so i believe that it could be 96.5% today

The thing is that School education is not a problem for us but colledge education is
Even though India has the largest number of Universities in the world at over 8000 , compared to USA at number 2 with 5800 , But only 21% of Indians graduating from school are able to attend college compared to over 60% in USA

Back
Top Bottom