What's new

96.5% kids in india go to school

Malayalee's often claim that Kerala has a literacy rate of 100%, is this true?

it should rather be 96.5% of upper caste kids go to school..nobody counts the lower ones as they are untouchable. I can only laugh at this news at best because I know a bazillion of Indian labors here who have not been to school and their kids back home often as young as 8 are working the fields!

No bozo, upper caste people don't go to school in India, they needn't. They just lay back and enjoy their life with single malt while lower caste people do the sh!t and math for them. Sad but true.

Come out of the 19 century man i dont see any of these practices any more and if u can then atlest update yourself or stop POSTING THESE BS COMMENTS:sniper:
it should rather be 96.5% of upper caste kids go to school..nobody counts the lower ones as they are untouchable. I can only laugh at this news at best because I know a bazillion of Indian labors here who have not been to school and their kids back home often as young as 8 are working the fields!

Malayalee's often claim that Kerala has a literacy rate of 100%, is this true?

yeah, Kerala is fully literate. Overall literacy in South India is higher than North India, both for Hindus, Muslims and SCs.

sach2.JPG

Karnataka tops in enrolment of five-year-olds

The number of five-year-olds enrolling in schools in rural areas has gone up in the country, with Karnataka coming at the top.

According to the Annual Status of Education Report (ASER), prepared by the NGO Pratham, the percentage of five -year-olds enrolled in schools in rural India increased from 54.6 per cent in 2009 to 62.8 in 2010.

“The biggest increase was visible in Karnataka where the proportion of five-year-olds enrolled in schools increased from 17.1 per cent in 2009 to 67.6 in 2010,” noted ASER, which is considered to be the most authoritative annual report on the state of education in the country.

There are several other states where school enrolment has increased “substantially” between 2009 and 2010. These include Punjab (68.3 to 79.6 per cent), Haryana (62.8 to 76.8 per cent), Rajasthan (69.9 to75.8 per cent), Uttar Pradesh (55.7 to 73.1 per cent) and Assam (49.1 to 59 per cent), the report said.

Conducted every year since 2005, ASER is the largest annual survey of children in rural India. In 2010, ASER reached 522 districts, over 14,000 villages, three lakh households and almost seven lakh children.

ASER also noted rise in the pupils’ enrolment in private schools in rural India, saying the southern states show “substantial increases” over last year in this regard for the age group 6 to 14.

The report noted that enrolment in private schools in rural India increased from 21.8 per cent in 2009 to 24.3 per cent in 2010. This number has risen steadily since 2005 when the national average was 16.3 per cent.

“Between 2009 and 2010, the percentage of children (age 6-14) enrolled in private school has increased from 29.7 per cent to 36.1 per cent in Andhra Pradesh, from 19.7 per cent to 25.1 per cent in Tamil Nadu, from 16.8 per cent to 20 per cent in Karnataka and from 51.5 per cent to 54.2 per cent in Kerala,” it said.

The survey also found that 96.5 per cent of children in the 6 to 14 age group in rural India are enrolled in schools in 2010. “While 71.1 per cent of these children are enrolled in government schools, 24.3 percent are enrolled in private school,” it noted.

The number of five-year-olds enrolling in schools in rural areas has gone up in the country, with Karnataka coming at the top.

According to the Annual Status of Education Report (ASER), prepared by the NGO Pratham, the percentage of five -year-olds enrolled in schools in rural India increased from 54.6 per cent in 2009 to 62.8 in 2010.

“The biggest increase was visible in Karnataka where the proportion of five-year-olds enrolled in schools increased from 17.1 per cent in 2009 to 67.6 in 2010,” noted ASER, which is considered to be the most authoritative annual report on the state of education in the country.

There are several other states where school enrolment has increased “substantially” between 2009 and 2010. These include Punjab (68.3 to 79.6 per cent), Haryana (62.8 to 76.8 per cent), Rajasthan (69.9 to75.8 per cent), Uttar Pradesh (55.7 to 73.1 per cent) and Assam (49.1 to 59 per cent), the report said.

Conducted every year since 2005, ASER is the largest annual survey of children in rural India. In 2010, ASER reached 522 districts, over 14,000 villages, three lakh households and almost seven lakh children.

ASER also noted rise in the pupils’ enrolment in private schools in rural India, saying the southern states show “substantial increases” over last year in this regard for the age group 6 to 14.

The report noted that enrolment in private schools in rural India increased from 21.8 per cent in 2009 to 24.3 per cent in 2010. This number has risen steadily since 2005 when the national average was 16.3 per cent.

“Between 2009 and 2010, the percentage of children (age 6-14) enrolled in private school has increased from 29.7 per cent to 36.1 per cent in Andhra Pradesh, from 19.7 per cent to 25.1 per cent in Tamil Nadu, from 16.8 per cent to 20 per cent in Karnataka and from 51.5 per cent to 54.2 per cent in Kerala,” it said.

The survey also found that 96.5 per cent of children in the 6 to 14 age group in rural India are enrolled in schools in 2010. “While 71.1 per cent of these children are enrolled in government schools, 24.3 percent are enrolled in private school,” it noted.

i think we have a nationwide, freemeal on schools and free fees scheme along with supply of books for free..most of the families nowdays poor or poorest sends their children to schools. we are going to have a well educated next generation for sure..

Youngistan kaa woww..:smitten:

PS; Jana is here on thread... lets expect some orange ( not to be confused with netherlands jersey) jokes

South India has always been above par in comparision to other states in the upper half of the country. They ahve pulled this one off neatly. But hey, don't bring Rajani in it, he doesn't seem to ahve any hand in this.:azn:

its not correct..it must be around 70%..though situation is pretty improved since last 10 years

:) Benny if its true (which is not likely keeping in view the past practices in our countries) then its a good omen for millions of poor that their kids are now getting education. If its not true then its a bad omen for fate of education

:) Benny if its true (which is not likely keeping in view the past practices in our countries) then its a good omen for millions of poor that their kids are now getting education. If its not true then its a bad omen for fate of education

There has been some serious laws and actions against child labour, which was prevalant all along the nation, and was the major factor behind children not send to schools..

There has been strict measures from the governments , central and state levels with wide spread media campaign against the menace, i think its getting the benefits now, hence the change in numbers...

If I must be honest than I will agree, educating all of the Indians in the country has one of the biggest aches of the GOI since the time India gained independence and it will continue to remain until something is done seriously. I am not underminig the steps already taken and I am not at all saying that they didn't produce any results. We have improved, and improved considerably well. But good education in India is "now" expensive. Whereas it was not so just a few years back. So, if you want your kid to be weducated in a "good" school, then you must have good education yourselves and must posess the necessary assets (money included), to get yout child in there. All good schools now do a background checks on the parents/guardians, and if they find the parent incapable of that then they will not admit the child to their school.
The pupil-teacher ratio, too, in primary schools in India is very low (1:40) compared with countries like UK (1:21.6) and Japan (1:19), despite the fact that India allocates more expenditure as a percentage of GDP on education, i.e. ~3% (a popular research result reveals that public expenditure on education should account for at least 4.07% of GDP). The average pupil-teacher ratio in the developed countries is 13.7. The global average is 24.6 pupils per teacher (1:24.6) in primary school.
I want to see more and more educated people in my country. If GOI sorts this mess out, then most of the so called "evils" will dissappear automatically. Until then we'll keep defending ourselves like this.

Back
Top Bottom