What's new

I once had fantasy, (still kind of do), that N. Korea just blitzes S. Korea, and Japan, at behest of US, moves to help S. Korea. US, for some reason, (economic collapse or something), and faces down the N. Korean war machine despite suffering massive infrastructure damage and casualties. This allows them to regain their once proud and lost military history.

Lol, I need to get of my computer chair more often.

LOL, interesting idea. :cheers:

Probably won't happen in the current geopolitical climate, but the resurgence of Japan might be something to look out for in the future.

Currently, Japan is on the decline. They have even refused to give overseas aid now, due to their debt being 200% of their GDP. I don't see how that could be reversed in the near future.

Kind of sucks -- Japan once had some of the most honorable armed forces, (not counting early 1900's-1945), but they've been neutered by the West after WWII to the point where it isn't even included in their society anymore.

You watch too much anime. The samurai was a feudal system that was just as brutal as anyone else. The rest is revisionism in cartoon form.

You watch too much anime. The samurai was a feudal system that was just as brutal as anyone else. The rest is revisionism in cartoon form.
Nah, I've only watched a few anime shows. (Only two I really liked.) I'm just more of romantic on the idea of military and honor. That is from reading too many novels.

'Course, that's one of the reasons I joined this forum was to find new perspectives.

According to Article 9 of the Japanese Constitution:

"The Japanese people forever renounce war as a sovereign right of the nation and the threat or use of force as a means of settling international disputes.

To accomplish the aim of the preceding paragraph, land, sea, and air forces, as well as other war potential, will never be maintained."

Apparently they are not even allowed to "threaten" the use of force. Until they change their pacifist constitution, they won't be able to deploy ANY kind of "offensive" weapon systems at all. Here is the original text for Article 9:

第九条 日本国民は、正義と秩序を基調とする国際平和を誠実に希求し、国権の発動たる戦争と、武力による威嚇又は武力の行使は、国際紛争を解決する手段としては、永久にこれを放棄する。

二 前項の目的を達するため、陸海空軍その他の戦力は、これを保持しない。国の交戦権は、これを認めない。

(Notice all the Han characters, lol).

Changing their constitution will be extremely difficult, it was designed that way to prevent them from becoming warlike again. So I don't really see much threat from them in military terms.

Last edited:
Nah, I've only watched a few anime shows. (Only two I really liked.) I'm just more of romantic on the idea of military and honor. That is from reading too many novels.

'Course, that's one of the reasons I joined this forum was to find new perspectives.

Fair enough. I guess if we don't believe in the romantic at all we'd become robots.

I told you guys before he is well known troll on PDF who thought he knew it all, he try to poke his nose into some sensitive issues of Pakistan which was beyond his so-called knowledge and end up getting banned for a few times, well deserved, i must say!:china:

Well, both of those trolls (including oceanx) have now been banned.

This thread is like a magnet for them, we need some of seigecrossbow's anti-troll spray! :azn:

You got it:

siegecrossbow-albums-anti-troll-picture3474-3528861357-8efbcbfc7e-o.jpg

Now that the thread is, hopefully, troll free I want to discuss whether it is possible for Japan to alter the constitution once resources like oil starts dwindling.

You got it:

Now that the thread is, hopefully, troll free I want to discuss whether it is possible for Japan to alter the constitution once resources like oil starts dwindling.

Cheers for the troll spray. :cheers:

On topic, it is extremely difficult to change the Japanese constitution. This was intentionally done to prevent them becoming warlike again.

A proposed amendment must first be approved by both houses of the Diet, by at least a super majority of two-thirds of each house (rather than just a simple majority). It must then be submitted to a referendum in which it is sufficient for it to be endorsed by a simple majority of votes cast. A successful amendment is finally promulgated by the Emperor, but the monarch cannot veto an amendment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Japan

In addition, there is very little social pressure to change it. As a "conservative" society, Japanese people tend to look unfavourably on changing such things. In fact there were many street demonstrations in Japan that were in favour of KEEPING article 9.

Well, both of those trolls (including oceanx) have now been banned.

This thread is like a magnet for them, we need some of seigecrossbow's anti-troll spray! :azn:

Not surprising at all, like i said before, every time ( ) poke ( ) nose into an unkown territory, "Trouble came" never miss, i guess there is always a price to pay for over estimate yourself. :azn:

Japan has natural resources? Surely not enough to sustain itself. However, they have enough water resources, such as hydroelectric power, to sustain them selves, at least energy wise.

Anyway, the only change will come when the people demand it, or the need arises. Right now, the Japanese people aren't too inclined to become a military powerhouse again. So, the only way they will change is if they have to survive. (Chineses/Korean/others-who-suffered invasion, which is not going to happen.)

As for the economy thing, I don't think Japanese are thinking their economy is too bad when compared to the pricing bubble that burst.(1992-2002).

As for the economy thing, I don't think Japanese are thinking their economy is too bad when compared to the pricing bubble that burst.(1992-2002).

The problem with Japan's economy is stagnation, and extremely high levels of debt.

In terms of "public debt" they are second highest in the world after Zimbabwe. Their debt is almost 200% of their GDP!

List of sovereign states by public debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wheras the USA is the leader in terms of "external debt".
List of countries by external debt

Combine that with an almost non-existant rate of Japanese economic growth, and you have a big problem.

Last edited:
Yeah little dragon ... heed your own advice and we'll just "all get alooong", Rodney style, no? I mean "co-operation" isn't your motto any more? :azn:

Anyhow, I am back from dinner and your whole posse is on the hook ... while I don't recall even casting a bait!

Look last week I went actual trolling on a little motorized Jon boat out in one of the beautiful lakes here around Ottawa Valley. And guess what, over 7 hours, I hooked two little measly fish ...

What's wrong with this picture?

Please ignore the "bait". Thank you!

I just read what this smug idiot had to say. What the hell is he here for anyway? He pretends he's here to mess with our heads, but really... this is internet, who going to take him seriously? What a complete waste of breath.

I hope you're reading this. Quite this forum...

Combine that with an almost non-existant rate of economic growth, and you have a big problem.
You know, most Southeast and Far East Asian countries have faced similar problems in the past, but many have overcome and have growing economies. I'm sure the Japanese won't break this tradition. :tup:

I just read what this smug idiot had to say. What the hell is he here for anyway? He pretends he's here to mess with our heads, but really... this is internet, who going to take him seriously? What a complete waste of breath.

I just feel sorry for him. :rofl: He keeps hinting that he is trying to mess with our heads, but he just isn't clever enough to pull it off.

He even openly admitted he was a troll, and got himself banned lol... hardly the most intelligent of sorts. :azn:

The "he" in question is actually a she. Maybe she is just flirting with Chinese-dragon?

:cheesy:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/members-club/73238-female-pakistani-defence-forum-members.html

I think you are underestimating the Japanese innovation capabilites Chinese-dragon. Japan is still far ahead in the field of robotics and consumer electronics and they may very well discover the next multi-billion dollar idea. Once that happens their economy will only go up.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom