What's new

4K walk through newer American cities [not old cities like NYC]

The bottom line is that older city populations are decreasing as the mid to higher income earners move to the suburbs. Cities are desperately trying to stay alive by welcoming ANYONE (even if they are illegal) who wants to move there. Unfortunately the people who end up moving there are not the biggest taxpayers causing budgets/services to be strained even further in a vicious circle. After all this encouragement to get people to move there they end up dumping the most undesirables (ie poorest) onto towns. Which only makes towns hate bigger cities even more.

Boston claims they have no room. That is ridiculous.
Boston had a population in the 800,000s in the 1950s. Now it is in the 600,000s. Do we really think housing was torn down?

yeah...well check this out.

View attachment 954814
This is not a tiny percentage of the city...and remember this is only the city owned land BTW.

They want nearby towns (which are close to 100% utilized) to tear down their perfectly good infrastructure and put up multifamily to help take on the city's overflow. :cuckoo:

One issue is smaller cities ARE actually building multi-family units however they are not usually "affordable housing". They end up stealing the people Boston would expect to get with their higher-end housing.
Yes, the cities absorb the new migrants (legal and illegal) but pre-Covid that plan was to also build up parts of the cities (such as Hudson yards in New York) to be the playground of the very rich (and largest taxpayers). But along came Covid, BLM, migrant crisis, etc. and we are financially if not politically back to a 80s-esque landscape.

I got a chance to visit S.F. in June, and it looks to be doing even worse, but the locals seem to love it, because it drives away the techies and gives them free reign.

Unlike Europe, you’re right that many want to live in the more affluent and better managed suburbs, but this “class segregation” is, IMHO, detrimental to the national ethos.

I think we are in for a turbulent 5-10 years, before we return to the trend of the 2010s, of the relatively well off returning to the cities. Many of the suburbs have reached a limit to their development and their tax bases may not be able to support their populations growing expectations.

Many of the suburbs have reached a limit to their development and their tax bases may not be able to support their populations growing expectations.

I think they are still evolving. The ~70 year old homes built in the 1950's during the initial post war push to suburbia in my town are being torn down and replaced with larger more modern ones.

There are plenty of 70 year old homes to upgrade.

But i have to agree the people buying those homes are the "haves" while 70 years ago they were just ordinary people. I'm lucky I got my full rebuild back when everything wasn't approaching $2M.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I got a chance to visit S.F. in June, and it looks to be doing even worse, but the locals seem to love it, because it drives away the techies and gives them free reign.

I visited it in July. Most of San Francisco looked okay to me. I avoided the bad areas like Market Street, Tenderloin.

I went to Pier 15, Pier 39, Twin Peaks, areas west of 19th Avenue. I did see a few homeless and couple of guys walking naked.

I have not been to a Southern California beach in ages :D

I visited it in July. Most of San Francisco looked okay to me. I avoided the bad areas like Market Street, Tenderloin.

I went to Pier 15, Pier 39, Twin Peaks, areas west of 19th Avenue. I did see a few homeless and couple of guys walking naked.

I have not been to a Southern California beach in ages :D
Parts of the city look great, but those parts always will, there tourist areas. It’s the fact that more and more stores are empty and it’s the city becoming more and more a ghost town or having an air of lawlessness.

I spent a few days going over many parts of the city, not the worst like the tenderloin, but not only the tourist areas. I took Bart and the muni buses in the evening and at night, to see the sites and get a sense of the city.

I then traveled down the coast, over the next week, all the way to LA.

It’s not just the homelessness, but you can’t ignore the number of people that look like they can’t manage their own lives. Being a life long New Yorker, we keep our heads on a swivel for potentially dangerous situations on public transportation and on the street.

California knows it has a problem, and now the democrats now it maybe why they will lose elections, so you see the following shift. Despite the obvious need for both, CARE court in extreme cases and more community based mental health care (as JFK had approved in 1963) for people for the vast majority of affected persons. We also need more public addiction rehab, and you see more of those people on the streets as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom