What's new

400 more fighter jets in IAF’s vision 2030

Mujraparty

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: Grappling with a drawdown of its fighter jet fleet, India has firmed up a plan to plug the capability gap over the next 10 to 15 years. A top defence ministry source said the Indian Air Force was working towards the target of inducting around 400 warplanes by 2030 to buttress its depleting force levels that set off alarm bells about the country’s ability to tackle a combined threat from China and Pakistan.

T he count of IAF’s fighter squadrons ha s shrunk to 33 (a round 640 fighters) compared to a desirable strength of 42. T he squadron strength is likely to come down to a mere 19 (around 380 warplanes) by 2027, as revealed in a Parliamentary panel report earlier this month.

The source said the IAF would get 120 Tejas light combat aircraft, another 120 twin-engine mediumweight aircraft to be built in India in collaboration with a foreign manufacturer, and an equal number of single-engine fighter planes. India is currently negotiating a deal with France for buying 36 Rafale fighters and 72 Sukhoi-30 fighters are on order. B ridging the capability gap is vital for the IAF that is saddled with ageing Soviet-era fighters.

T he IAF also wants to deploy a total of 15 AW AC S (airborne warning and control system) over the next decade. T he IAF currently operates three Israeli Phalcon AW AC S mounted on Russian IL-76 heavy-lift planes. The system has a range of 400km. Itis also on course to induct two Brazilian Embraer airborne early warning and control (AEW &C ) system aircraft. The AEW &C systems developed by the DRDO are being installed on Embraer-145 jets imported from Brazil.

In M arch 2015, India took the first step towards developing an indigenous AW AC S, with the defence acquisition council giving its go-ahead to a ` 5,113 crore project involving mounting two such complex surveillance systems on the European Airbus A330 platform. Airbus Defence &Space was the only bidder for the AW ACS India programme, making it the first single vendor project to be cleared by the NDA government.

“T he finance ministry has raised some objections but the defence ministry has given a clarification emphasising the operational need for more such platforms,” the source said. As per IAF’s plans, eight AW AC S are required for the eastern border, and five for the western boundary. The IAF wants these monitoring systems to provide 360-degree coverage, which is far more than that offered by (AEW &C ) system aircraft.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/natio...vision-2030/story-VTRviJ0xb4E3EPA6Uzc3HL.html

Going by the article
So 120 Tejas + 120 Gripen + 36 Rafale + 120 F18 or AMCA + 72 SU30 = 468
So far 2_____+_____?______+____?______+___?_________?____+___0_____= 2
We still have 15 years though.

There will be 200 plus rafale including naval rafale +tejas 120 plus + su 30 70 + amca +fgfa

There is going to be a plane between lca and rafale , that is going to be an american one with make in India.
We dont need to replace one plane by one.newer planes ate twice better than the older ones.

And please dont ask me for the source...i cant share it on this forum.

Time is running away ; we cant delay the decisions any more

There will be 200 plus rafale including naval rafale +tejas 120 plus + su 30 70 + amca +fgfa

There is going to be a plane between lca and rafale , that is going to be an american one with make in India.
We dont need to replace one plane by one.newer planes ate twice better than the older ones.

And please dont ask me for the source...i cant share it on this forum.

The question is not what we should be doing ; every body knows what needs to be done

It is WHEN we will do it

Last edited:
What i m stating is what the mod and iaf will do.these are not my wishes.15 year plan is already inked and work on it is already going.all ho hala is only pressure tactics on the companies and on iaf from mod n vice versa. Only thing not decided is future of fifth generation planes. And rest bullshit is from prestitutes lobbies and pakistani member sources.

What i m stating is what the mod and iaf will do.these are not my wishes.15 year plan is already inked and work on it is already going.all ho hala is only pressure tactics on the companies and on iaf from mod n vice versa. Only thing not decided is future of fifth generation planes. And rest bullshit is from prestitutes lobbies and pakistani member sources.

Please all the bullshit and crapp is coming from India. Where for the last 10 years you and your Government are trying to decide what to buy. Pleas yaar abb khareed bhi lo. I guess the Rafale are going to come in 2022. And rest God knows. Again goodluck for all your future wishes procurement. If your Government clears it.

Sirji u will be well aware it takes lot of time to decide on weapons purchase of this magnitute.its true with all countries.few countries including pakistan dont bring everything out in public domain. There military controls it so nothing is clearly known..but in countries india there is mod ..opossition..defence force...beurocrats. mud slinging between them makes the outside world know everything abt the deal.

And i do agree mmrca deal was a black spot...but what could we do when our defence minister mr anthony had put is big black arse on the files for over a decade.

Sirji u will be well aware it takes lot of time to decide on weapons purchase of this magnitute.its true with all countries.few countries including pakistan dont bring everything out in public domain. There military controls it so nothing is clearly known..but in countries india there is mod ..opossition..defence force...beurocrats. mud slinging between them makes the outside world know everything abt the deal.

And i do agree mmrca deal was a black spot...but what could we do when our defence minister mr anthony had put is big black arse on the files for over a decade.

Sir please don't mind but deals are made to reduce the weakness lingering on one's side. Atleast your government should have taken concrete steps to alleviate your Air force level. We constantly hear of deals going bad. Test going dud. It is the Government at fault for not controlling the situation. Forces can't be blame. It's high time that someone from forces should stand up and say enuff is enuff. Now decide and deliver and don't do window shopping.

Please all the bullshit and crapp is coming from India. Where for the last 10 years you and your Government are trying to decide what to buy. Pleas yaar abb khareed bhi lo. I guess the Rafale are going to come in 2022. And rest God knows. Again goodluck for all your future wishes procurement. If your Government clears it.
No doubt while things could have been better for mmrcs...its not that they have sit idle. India has added 200+ Su-30MKIs in last 12-13 years apart from 40-50 advance and all new Mig-29Ks for navy.....

PS: sorry for typos....

Sir please don't mind but deals are made to reduce the weakness lingering on one's side. Atleast your government should have taken concrete steps to alleviate your Air force level. We constantly hear of deals going bad. Test going dud. It is the Government at fault for not controlling the situation. Forces can't be blame. It's high time that someone from forces should stand up and say enuff is enuff. Now decide and deliver and don't do window shopping.

In india forces can not talk openly against the government. If they do they are seen in bad light.its not like pakistan.they do demand but the previous corrupt n ineffecient government screwed everything.but i assure u u will c results soon coz now both government n forces are on the same page. And abt the bullshit u here..its presstitutes.lobby.corrupt politicians...at work so ignore that .

Sirji do u honestly beleive that ki pakistani test of missiles or any other weapons never fail.its jus the military controlling the reports.
Failure is assosiated with every weapon for every country before they taste success. And abt the reports out in media.. again its pulling each others legs.

No doubt while things could have been better for mmrcs...its not that they have sit idle. India has added 200+ Su-30MKIs in last 12-13 years apart from 40-50 advance and all new Mig-29Ks for navy.....

PS: sorry for typos....
See again coming to old issues. You and I very well know that The SU30 MKI is having all the troubles in the world. Why don't you switch to a better platform like SU35. After all you people have money. And also why go for a French deal when you have so many Russian options. Going for a totally different platform is suicide until you are ordering a huge order. You could so easily switch to SU 35, SU 34 and latest MIG'S. Still a question mark ?

See again coming to old issues. You and I very well know that The SU30 MKI is having all the troubles in the world. Why don't you switch to a better platform like SU35. After all you people have money. And also why go for a French deal when you have so many Russian options. Going for a totally different platform is suicide until you are ordering a huge order. You could so easily switch to SU 35, SU 34 and latest MIG'S. Still a question mark ?
Sukhoi-30 after upgrade to Super Sukhoi is at par and better then Sukhoi-35.We have already tested and rejected the Sukhoi-35 for that.

Well Su-30MKIs are worth every penny.....and problems with MKIs are largely sorted out and overrated....34 mid engine failure in 2 years when you have 200+ MKIs and each clocking 200+ flight hours every year is still satisfactory( upon someone to overrate it or not)....and yeah with Super sukhoi upgrade planned, It will be very much close to Su-35 or even surpass it in few areas...

It is not about how many options we have, its about what our requirements are.
What we need is Medium Multi Role, what su 30 is Heavy air superiority fighter with multi role capabilities. It role is perfectly filled by 200+ of them . Light category will be filled by LCA and medium category need 7 sqd of rafale like fighters to join hands with Mirage 2000,Mig 29 and Jaugers.

PS: 34 mid engine failure in 2 years is not even an issue considering not long ago our fighters where going down like flies.
Whatever story to helps su 30 haters to sleep well.

The source said the IAF would get 120 Tejas light combat aircraft, another 120 twin-engine mediumweight aircraft to be built in India in collaboration with a foreign manufacturer, and an equal number of single-engine fighter planes. India is currently negotiating a deal with France for buying 36 Rafale fighters and 72 Sukhoi-30 fighters are on order. B ridging the capability gap is vital for the IAF that is saddled with ageing Soviet-era fighters.

I don't understand the calculation, most probably the 'source' is wrong.
  • 13 su 30
  • 12 LCA (120 + 120)
  • 2 Rafale
  • 12 Mirage 2000 + Mig 29 + jaguar
Total - 39 sq (3 sqd to freedom!)

This is not considering additional rafale orders and FGFA orders. @PARIKRAMA

Last edited:
It is not about how many options we have, its about what our requirements are.
What we need is Medium Multi Role, what su 30 is Heavy air superiority fighter with multi role capabilities. It role is perfectly filled by 200+ of them . Light category will be filled by LCA and medium category need 7 sqd of rafale like fighters to join hands with Mirage 2000,Mig 29 and Jaugers.

PS: 34 mid engine failure in 2 years is not even an issue considering not long ago our fighters where going down like flies.
Whatever story to helps su 30 haters to sleep well.

I don't understand the calculation, most probably the 'source' is wrong.
  • 13 su 30
  • 12 LCA (120 + 120)
  • 2 Rafale
  • 12 Mirage 2000 + Mig 29 + jaguar
Total - 39 sq (3 sqd to freedom!)

This is not considering additional rafale orders and FGFA orders.

12 Mirage 2000 + Mig 29 + jaguar

i think this figure is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom