What's new

4 soldiers martyred 5 critically injured, 3 Ts killed in Zhob Cantonment attack.

12 soldiers martyred in Zhob, Sui attacks

Saleem Shahid
July 13, 2023

QUETTA: As many as 12 soldiers of the Pakistan Army embraced martyrdom in separate military operations in the Zhob and Sui areas of Balochistan, while seven “heavily armed” militants who reportedly attacked the security forces were also killed, the military’s media wing said in multiple statements on Wednesday.

This was the military’s highest single-day death toll from terrorist attacks reported this year. Before this, 10 personnel were martyred in a ‘fire raid’ in Balochistan’s Kech district in February 2022.

According to a press release issued by the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) on late Wednesday night, security forces came under fire from militants in Sui during an operation in the area. “During the fire exchange, three brave soldiers, having fought gallantly, embraced ‘shahadat’ while two terrorists were sent to hell during the operation,” the statement read.

The Sui attack followed a raid on a military installation in Zhob Cantt in the morning, wherein nine soldiers were martyred and five militants were resultantly killed.

ISPR says seven attackers killed in separate incidents; prime minister pays tribute to fallen soldiers

In Zhob, a woman was also killed and at least five civilians received injuries after a Quetta-bound passenger bus was caught in the crossfire. ISPR said that the initial attempt by the assailants “to sneak into the facility was checked by soldiers on duty”.

“In ensuing heavy exchange of fire, the terrorists have been contained into a small area at the boundary,” the ISPR said.

In a follow-up statement issued later on Wednesday night, ISPR said that the security operation at “Zhob Cantt has been completed, and in total five terrorists have been killed during the operation”.

“Security forces and the nation remain resilient and determined to thwart all such dastardly attempts of the enemy aimed at destroying the peace of Balochistan and Pakistan,” the ISPR said.

Citing reports, Zhob Commissioner Saeed Ahmed Umrani said that “five terrorists equipped with heavy automatic weapons” were involved in the attack. “Security forces also suffered casualties in the gun battle which continued till noon,” Mr Umrani told Dawn when contacted.

However, he said that security forces also conducted a search operation in Zhob town and its surrounding areas after receiving information about the presence of suspected terrorists and their facilitators.

Deputy Commissioner Azimullah Kakar confirmed the death of a woman. “The bus which was coming from Dera Ismail Khan was passing through the areas of Zhob cantonment when it was [caught] in the crossfire,” Mr Kakar said, adding that the injured were shifted to Civil Hospital Quetta after initial treatment.

An outfit calling itself the Tehreek Jihad Pakistan (TJP) claimed responsibility for the attack on the Zhob garrison. The same group had earlier claimed responsibility for an attack at an FC camp in the Muslim Bagh area of Qila Abdullah, as well as targeting a police truck on the Quetta-Sukkur highway near Sibi a few months back.

This was the second attack on security forces in Zhob; earlier on July 2, militants attacked three checkposts of police, levies and the Frontier Corps on the Zhob-Dera Ismail Khan highway in the Sherani district of Balochistan. Three policemen and an FC officer were martyred while an attacker was killed.

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif paid tribute to the martyred soldiers. He said that their sacrifice for the homeland would be remembered forever, state-run APP reported.

Balochistan Governor Malik Abdul Wali Khan Kakar, Chief Minister Mir Abdul Qudoos Bizenjo and Home Minister Ziaullah Langove in separate statements also condemned the attack.

Sir, seems that terrorists were in military outfit.
If true, it is difficult to identify until one pays attention to the arms and backpacks carried by the terrorists.
They were wearing FC uniforms.

Failure of intelligence?
It always is. You can't blame the soldier standing on guard with people going around you, to suddenly go weapons free at someone who starts firing or blowing things up. Before terrorist reaches the soldier standing on guard, it's entirely the intelligence domain whereby he should have been neutralized starting from his training camp across the border to the time he reaches the soldier. And then no warning as well.....

Lieutenant General Asif Ghafoor, Commander of the XII Corps, took charge of the crucial clearance operation conducted today in Zhob Cantt.
By assuming direct responsibility for the #mission, he not only exhibited his exceptional leadership ..

'

What kind of sick joke is this, "exceptional leaderhship"? how about this heera mundi pimp take some pre-emptive action to prevent these attacks from taking place in the first place?

starting from his training camp across the border to the time he reaches the soldier. And then no warning as well.....
That is a matter of days which Intel has on its hands.

How useless is this army at doing its job? How can they do any other job, i.e running the country, when they can't even do the job they are trained for? Pakistani men should stop joining the army, and becoming cannon fodders because harami generals don't care about you one bit.

. Before terrorist reaches the soldier standing on guard, it's entirely the intelligence domain whereby he should have been neutralized starting from his training camp across the border to the time he reaches the soldier. And then no warning as well.....
Intelligence is rather busy these days.

Zhob Cantt was reportedly attacked again last night.

QUETTA: A group of armed militants launched an attack at Zhob Cantt after midnight, but the security forces, who were at high alert, retaliated and foiled their attempt to enter the garrison area on Sunday.

The locals heard heavy firing and explosions around 2.30am, which continued for several hours.

Officials, while confirming the terrorist attack in Zhob, said that the armed terrorists launched an attack from the airport road side. However, security forces, which were already alert, immediately took positions and returned fire.

“Heavy exchange of fire and explosions continued till early morning,” a senior official in Zhob told Dawn.

Published in Dawn, July 17th, 2023

Zhob Cantt was reportedly attacked again last night.

QUETTA: A group of armed militants launched an attack at Zhob Cantt after midnight, but the security forces, who were at high alert, retaliated and foiled their attempt to enter the garrison area on Sunday.

The locals heard heavy firing and explosions around 2.30am, which continued for several hours.

Officials, while confirming the terrorist attack in Zhob, said that the armed terrorists launched an attack from the airport road side. However, security forces, which were already alert, immediately took positions and returned fire.

“Heavy exchange of fire and explosions continued till early morning,” a senior official in Zhob told Dawn.

Published in Dawn, July 17th, 2023

Any idea if these were new terrorists, or some who had escaped from the earlier attack and launched another one after regrouping?

Have we seen any recurrent attacks on an installation in this manner before? I don't think we have in any major installation (bar a few police stations etc).

Any idea if these were new terrorists, or some who had escaped from the earlier attack and launched another one after regrouping?

Have we seen any recurrent attacks on an installation in this manner before? I don't think we have in any major installation (bar a few police stations etc).
Not really, only one incident similar that came to my mind was Lakki Marwat. I haven't seen any update other than what Dawn posted since morning.

But no militant managed to escape the previous attack I presume, it was a fidayeen style attack so surviving wasn't really the aim for them. As per pictures of the bodies and video footage I suspect that some militants died while entering and traversing into the cantt, the rest of them died after being forced to occupy a building as security forces tightened the noose on them. I think the building was likely the Officers Mess as that seems to be the building that it resembles the most in videos/pictures, at least structurally it does.

Not really, only one incident similar that came to my mind was Lakki Marwat. I haven't seen any update other than what Dawn posted since morning.

But no militant managed to escape the previous attack I presume, it was a fidayeen style attack so surviving wasn't really the aim for them. As per pictures of the bodies and video footage I suspect that some militants died while entering and traversing into the cantt, the rest of them died after being forced to occupy a building as security forces tightened the noose on them. I think the building was likely the Officers Mess as that seems to be the building that it resembles the most in videos/pictures, at least structurally it does.

It is surprising then that they would go for another attack at the same place. New tactics? Perhaps betting that the security would be lax here since an attack has already happened? Or are they after something in Zhob cantt? Some prisoners they want freed?

And yes it was a mess or a guest house as @PanzerKiel also mentioned. You can see the name mentioned on a plaque as well in one of the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom