What's new

4 Minerva Class corvettes to join Bangladesh Coast Guard

a nice post on Minerva corvettes turned into a toilet by Indian fishing trawlers.... as expected.... nothing new....

I think you have enough idea of Navy.
So can you explain the reason of giving these corvettes to Coast guard?

Post more pictures of the Minerva Class.

@BDforever , @bongbang , @iajdani

I liked this pic :)

10897030_797198157014746_6617117824825323689_n.jpg

Specification:
Displacement : 1,285 tonnes
Length: 87 m
Beam: 10.5 m
Draught: 3.2 (4.8) m
Propulsion :2 Diesel Grandi Motori Trieste
BM-230.20 DVM outputting 11.0
HP (8.088 kW)
Speed: 25 knots
Range: 3,500 nm at 18 knots
Complement:
7 officers, 113 men
Sensors and processing systems:
AA/ASu-Radar Selenia SPS-774 (
10S) E/F Band
1 SMA SPS-728 Navigation rad
Sonar: Raytheon/Elsag DE-116
Electronic warfare & decoys:
Fire control: 1 Selenia SPG-75 (R
30X) for Albatros and 76mm
Communication: IPN-10 (Mini-
SADOC), Link 11
Armament :1 Otobreda 76 mm
Sea Sparrow or Selenia Aspide in
8-cell launcher
6 × 324mm TLS ASW torpedoe
4 heavy machine guns

View attachment 181844

Specification:
HP (8.088 kW)
Complement:
7 officers, 113 men
10S) E/F Band
SADOC), Link 11
8-cell launcher
4 heavy machine guns

She's a beauty. Congratulations in acquiring these 4 ships.

View attachment 181844

Specification:
HP (8.088 kW)
Complement:
7 officers, 113 men
10S) E/F Band
SADOC), Link 11
8-cell launcher
4 heavy machine guns

Let me say that this ship's class --- has an impressive defense system. All in all, strong ASW capabilities, at the same time, potent anti ship and anti-air capabilities. A much needed asset to patrol Bangladesh's maritime territory in the Bay of Bengal.

She's a beauty.

Somebodies a fan of older women, eh?!? These ships, while serviceable and a good acquisition compared to what-else is floating around the region, are nearly 30 years old!!! I hope BD is getting the ones built in the 90's and not the 80's.

minerva6.jpg

chimera7.jpg

6-driade-f555.jpg

_minerva.jpg

9-sibilla-f558.jpg

image022.jpg

These are good ships, they will be retrofitted with new equipment, they will serve BD very well into the future.

Last edited:
A view of the Minerva Class' defense :

6-driade-f555.jpg

danaide_2013.jpg

@bongbang ,

Any news if Bangladesh's Navy is looking to acquire the Maestrale Class Frigate? Acquisition of 2 of those would enhance the BN's defense capabilities, no doubt.

Somebodies a fan of older women, eh?!? These ships, while serviceable and a good acquisition compared to what-else is floating around the region, are nearly 30 years old!!! I hope BD is getting the ones built in the 90's and not the 80's.

As the saying goes, the older the berry...the sweeter the juice. ;)

On a serious note, you're right these ships have been marinated in time, but they will do their job in a defensive engagement. And since Bangladesh's maritime territory is limited to the Bay of Bengal, these ships will be crucial in negating threat to the IN's or MN's sub force. Id actually love to see the BN acquire the Maestrale Class Frigates; they're in the same level as the USN's Perry Class or the French Marine Navale's Leygues Class.

Point 4. Do I think Bangladesh would have achieved its goals without direct Indian assistance, YES, would it have taken a lot longer YES!

Please answer as HONESTLY as you can:

Question 1. Did India go to war because they love the Bangladeshi people, or did India see an opportunity to dismember Pakistan, a strategic objective?

Question 2. What were India goals?

A) A unified Pakistan?
B) Quick resolution to the civil war?
C) Drag the civil war on as long as possible, to weaken Pakistan?

Question 3. Why did Bangladesh have to refer the maritime dispute to the international body, after decades of fruitless talks?

Question 4. Can India be trusted to fulfil any agreements that it signs?

let me answer you correctly..
1. no indians dont love bangladeshi but pity, or are neutral. but in 1971 it was a fine opportunity to break pakistan and it became a compulsion because of refugees .

2.indias goal was to break pakistan and maybe solve Kashmir issue, which could not be solved. moreover what ever may be indias goal, we gave u, freedom, whatever may be our motive.

3. court of justice is non binding in nature, if india has ill will, it would hv refused to accept the verdict. moreover if we had directly declared it as indian territory, u and ur govt. would not hv even done anything. we didn't..

4.yes i think so, more than your chinese frnd agreement.

These are good ships, they will be retrofitted with new equipment, they will serve BD very well into the future.

If Bangladesh enhances its defense cooperation agreement with say the USN, im sure they can easily upgrade these babies with Phalanx CIWS, and also some bigger balls installed...say them Harpoons. ;) ;)

Any news if Bangladesh's Navy is looking to acquire the Maestrale Class Frigate? Acquisition of 2 of those would enhance the BN's defense capabilities, no doubt.

Our armed forces are very secret in their purchase. Who know what is in their plan :meeting:
But I know of some Chinese Frigates now.

Our armed forces are very secret in their purchase. Who know what is in their plan :meeting:
But I know of some Chinese Frigates now.

If you guys are going for Chinese route, then definitely good to look into their Type 053H2G, which has a robust ASW capability, with strong anti ship projection.
1920px-Type_053H2G_frigate.jpg

If you guys want all in all --- a large surface ship that has good ASW, air defense, as well as potent anti ship projection, the Type 053H3 should be considered.
1024px-Jiaxing1.jpg

If you guys are going for Chinese route, then definitely good to look into their Type 053H2G, which has a robust ASW capability, with strong anti ship projection.
1920px-Type_053H2G_frigate.jpg

If you guys want all in all --- a large surface ship that has good ASW, air defense, as well as potent anti ship projection, the Type 053H3 should be considered.
1024px-Jiaxing1.jpg

BD Navy have 2 Type 053H1 frigates now of that family and soon 2 more are joining. Hope BD takes above frigates in consideration too. Also the Type 054A frigates. I like to see more Stealth ships :smitten:

Last edited:
BD Navy has 2 Type 053H1 frigates now of that family and soon 2 more are joining. Hope BD takes above frigates in consideration too. Also the Type 054A frigates. I like to see more Stealth ships :smitten:

Good to see this ! I didn't know that Bangladesh already fielded Chinese frigates. Well, if you guys really want, you should consider acquiring at least 1 destroyer. The Type 052 Destroyer would be perfect. 2 of these in the Bangladeshi Navy would ensure command and control of the Bay of Bengal.

Type_052_destroyer.jpg

112_Harbin_113_Qingdao_Type_052_Luhu-class_guided_missile_destroyers_people%27s_Liberation_Army_Navy_%28PLAN%29_YJ-83_%28C-803%29_anti-ship_missiles_HQ-7_SAM_%28Type_730%29_7-barrel_30_mm_CIWS_%281%29.jpg

Good to see this ! I didn't know that Bangladesh already fielded Chinese frigates. Well, if you guys really want, you should consider acquiring at least 1 destroyer. The Type 052 Destroyer would be perfect. 2 of these in the Bangladeshi Navy would ensure command and control of the Bay of Bengal.

Type_052_destroyer.jpg

112_Harbin_113_Qingdao_Type_052_Luhu-class_guided_missile_destroyers_people%27s_Liberation_Army_Navy_%28PLAN%29_YJ-83_%28C-803%29_anti-ship_missiles_HQ-7_SAM_%28Type_730%29_7-barrel_30_mm_CIWS_%281%29.jpg

Yes, we would eventually acquire destroyers able to bombard Fortress Andaman, and make a presence in the Andaman Sea.Just now we are consolidating our coastal/littoral capability.Next we will extend our reach into entire Bay of Bengal. But our eventual capability would be reaching Andaman Sea making a presence inthe most important trade channel in the world. That would also link us with PLAN and Indonesian Navy -both our natural allies.

Yes, we would eventually acquire destroyers able to bombard Fortress Andaman, and make a presence in the Andaman Sea.Just now we are consolidating our coastal/littoral capability.Next we will extend our reach into entire Bay of Bengal. But our eventual capability would be reaching Andaman Sea making a presence inthe most important trade channel in the world. That would also link us with PLAN and Indonesian Navy -both our natural allies.

:lol: I see some of you talk about Andaman Nicobar islands. Is there any historical claim of BD in that. I didnt find anything regarding that. Only most of the people of those islands talk in Bengali. And Indonesia wanted to be ally of Pakistan during 65 or 71 war to take back those islands.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom