What's new

27 Feb 19: PAF shot down two Indian aircrafts inside Pakistani airspace: DG ISPR

Congratulation to all Pakistan on 2nd birthday of "Operation Swift Retort".

The bells were rang loud and clear. So much so that Bipin had to run to the Bok. He is nowhere to be found, probably still there.

Brave PAF pilots, well done.

Wish you have given permissions to destroy the real targets and with it we would have said "Good Bye" to
"General Bipin Rawat" then Army Chief of Indian Army.

Opportunity missed.

FB_IMG_1614401729050.jpg

27 Feb 19: PAF shot down two Indian aircrafts inside Pakistani airspace: DG ISPR

With all the information we know now, is the title of this thread still valid?

I am pretty sure Tipu Sultan meant tiger here not a lion. After all he was known as the Tiger of Mysore

What he was known and what he said, are different. If we shall not act like nitpicking on everything, one has to understand Urdu well.

Sher=Lion and now recall what Tipu Sultan said.

What he was known and what he said, are different. If we shall not act like nitpicking on everything, one has to understand Urdu well.

one has to understand Urdu well.
Does Urdu have a separate word for tiger? Unfortunately no. Context matters. Tipu Sultan was known as Tiger of Mysore and all his standards bore the Tiger. Anyone translating sher as lion in the context of Tipu Sultan is not only doing a poor job of translation but also not doing justice to his memory
Imagine someone translating Sher e Bengal as Lion of Bengal...LOL

Last edited:
Does Urdu have a separate word for tiger? Unfortunately no. Tipu Sultan was known as Tiger of Mysore and all his standards bore this symbol. Anyone translating sher as lion in the context of Tipu Sultan is not only doing a poor job of translation but also not doing justice to the memory of Tipu
Being a word nazi/grammar nazi especially in translations of two different languages is not suitable if the context is understood, as in the case above, I suggest you stop dragging the issue.

In Pakistan, Leopard is called "Cheeta" in urdu. There is another word "tendwa" in urdu, some say its for jaguar and relate jaguar to leopard. Some use tendwa for leopard, majority uses cheeta.

It becomes a pointless debate. Understanding each other is the point.

Being a word nazi/grammar nazi especially in translations of two different languages is not suitable if the context is understood, as in the case above, I suggest you stop dragging the issue.
OK next time I will translate Sherdil as Tigerheart because context is understood in this case too

Instead of calling me names like grammar Modi, a better man would have accepted the word "Sher" was badly translated in this case

"Meanwhile, the pair of patrolling Su-30s were completely shocked when they were targeted by an F-16 with an AIM-120 missile at long range. Having survived a direct hit, both Su-30s scampered out of the area, leaving the field to the Mirage 2000 pair."

Tufail has adjusted some of the events in his blog.

Maybe no Su-30 shot down after all.....

Tufail has adjusted some of the events in his blog.
That adjustment, if at all, is old as I read the same months ago..
@untitled @The Eagle
Yes, sher is tiger which is found in sub-continent like in bengal, gujrat, and may be south .. Lion was not a local animal.. Urdu has limitation like people still say 'haram machi' for prawns... so sher distinction goes away in Urdu.. so we add babbar (persian) with sher "balo wala sher" for Lion. In local language like in Gujrat it is called Singh
anyway, depicting correct animal matters like replacing Iqbal shaheen with baz would ruin the context and poetry too..

Last edited:

Lion = Babar Sher =)

Its called as such probably due to the now extinct Barbary Lions from Northern Africa that were used in the Roman colosseums.

Back
Top Bottom