What's new

2017 Census: Population by city Karachi 14.9m, Lahore 11.12m, Faisalabad 3.2m

I'm not saying there is conspiracy against punjab by reducing almost 3% of of population, just that according to PBS they are counting illegals which are musty located in other 3 provinces. Baloch will also make same point when language results are released.

You continue to miss the point. Even if illegal immigrants are excluded from the count, that will not impact the numbers for KPK and Balochistan. You're still ignoring this fact.

International sources just wrote what some people with agenda were telling them without doing any census what so ever.

International sources with an "agenda"? Lol.

These are initial results and more verification will happen before next year. But for now Karachi myth of 30m population has been put to rest. I always had doubts about Karachi population claims as it was clearly agenda driven. There is no way Karachi could afford 300% growth in just 19 years. KP/FATA census proves not many people moved to Karachi as its claimed.

30 million would impute 200% growth, not 300%....

Karachi population increased 60% which is a lot and only possible with migration but 30m never made sense. Also Karachi division population will likely be 17-18m.

No one is talking about a figure of 30 million. That would be insane.

Karachi almost certainly grew faster than Lahore. Even if we apply the same growth rate as Lahore (116%), that would give us figure of about 20,150,000 (9.33*1.16 + 9.33). That makes much more sense. Still, Karachi almost certainly grew faster than Lahore these past 20 years, so even that figure is probably a bit lower than it should be.

check out kaptaan map, its not about area but how much is build as part of city. I did same with Islamabad, Pindi, Peshawar, Quetta etc and size of cities build and their population make sense when compared with Lahore or Karachi. And just in case Lahore area on wiki come as 1772km which is pretty much all build as city. While Karachi have lots of space left because it include other areas outside main city where nothing is build yet. Same is case with Islamabad where populated urban sectors occupy less then half of total ICT area.

Yes, please look at your map. Your outline leaves out many densely populated areas in Karachi. I'm sure their population totals much more than 4 million.

Also, keep in mind that much of the growth in Karachi has come in the form of migrants in the outskirts of the city.

2017 Karachi city 14.9m, district likely 17m but we don't know yet till PBS release district data.

There's no way that Karachi's population is below 20 million.

That Karachi map is wrong mate, I live in Kemari, are you saying I don't live in Karachi? There is no Karachi without Kemari as it is one of the oldest parts of the city! Karachi covers a much larger distance then what this map shows, even Bin Qasim comes under Malir, which again IS Karachi.

Karachi is made of nearly two dozen "Towns", unless this new census is not counting them in Karachi, which is stupid to say the least, the numbers are grossly under represented.

Yay kiya mazakh hai bhai? @LA se Karachi @Musafir117

He just put Lahore map on top of Karachi main populated area. Also there is difference of 4 million between Karachi and Lahore which is quite a lot. And when other Karachi districts are included then likely 7 million. We will have to wait and see.

You continue to miss the point. Even if illegal immigrants are excluded from the count, that will not impact the numbers for KPK and Balochistan. You're still ignoring this fact.

Not much but some surely? I mean PBS clearly said they are counting afghan refugees and other illegals in final total.
International
sources with an "agenda"? Lol.

People started saying Karachi population was over 20m around 2010 because apparently whole FATA and half of KP moved there after operations, which doesn't seem to be the case at all. If pashtuns not moved there then who did? Now people say serakis which is again exaggerated greatly and will not explain 25-30m as many claim. Now obviously large numbers of Sindhis could move to Karachi but they did? If yes then why PPP will conspire to hide their population because Sindhis and even serakis in Karachi can help them win seats. International media just picked the news from Pakistani media. We need to remember Karachi itself was in state of war for better part of last decade.

No one is talking about a figure of 30 million. That would be insane.

Karachi almost certainly grew faster than Lahore. Even if we apply the same growth rate as Lahore (116%), that would give us figure of about 20,150,000 (9.33*1.16 + 9.33). That makes much more sense. Still, Karachi almost certainly grew faster than Lahore these past 20 years, so even that figure is probably a bit lower than it should be.

If you notice growth in Lahore population come with reduction in rural population and less growth in other punjab cities compared to Lahore. Punjab population itself reduced almost 3% but Lahore increased, its clear rural-urban movement along with some contributions from other part of country to Lahore.

Yes, please look at your map. Your outline leaves out many densely populated areas in Karachi. I'm sure their population totals much more than 4 million.

Also, keep in mind that much of the growth in Karachi has come in the form of migrants in the outskirts of the city.
There's no way that Karachi's population is below 20 million.

Its possible Karachi population increased to 20m when including outskirts and rural Karachi. Lets wait for final results. Islamabad city population is 1m accoridng to news but 2m when including rural areas. Maybe Karachi rural areas have seen similar explosion in population.

So are these estimates or did tge goverment fonally released the data.

Early results.

He just put Lahore map on top of Karachi main populated area. Also there is difference of 4 million between Karachi and Lahore which is quite a lot. And when other Karachi districts are included then likely 7 million. We will have to wait and see.

We shall indeed see, but the 14 million figure looks ridiculously low to be honest.

Also, have you seen any reports on breakdown of religion/ethnicity/language?

Guys assuming population density between Karachi and Lahore is same [this is something you guys living there in the cities can comment on] then the figures given. By using scale comparison Karachi - 14.9 and Lahore -11.1 are about correct. Physical urban agglomeration is used by using satellite imagery. This below is true scale comparison of the physical built environment. Hope this helps.

HPLg4FX.png

you have not even taken the whole karachi area
upload_2017-8-27_3-9-54.png

scale is same as in your pic (10KM)

Last edited:
These figures are true. As I said earlier in Dunya thread that the report will be out few days prior to Eid. For those thinking that Afghans will be adjusted later, please note that they've already been taken care of.

This figures from which ever English newspaper is this seem to be wrong. I will wait for Government figures. Because few weeks back Dunya News Claimed that Rawalpindi population is 5.6 Million and Islamabad 2.1 Million and Peshawer at 4 Million and Quetta at 2 Million and and Karachi at 17 Million. This newspaper is telling way low so something is wrong here

@Gunah-e-Kabira

Religion report and other statistics will never be released.

Not yet, final census report will come next year along with language and religion data.

Religion report and other statistics will never be released.

Although I have my doubts, but if true, it would be very good news indeed. I hope the same for language/ethnicity. All these things do is divide people, they serve no worthy purpose.

People started saying Karachi population was over 20m around 2010 because apparently whole FATA and half of KP moved there after operations, which doesn't seem to be the case at all. If pashtuns not moved there then who did? Now people say serakis which is again exaggerated greatly and will not explain 25-30m as many claim. Now obviously large numbers of Sindhis could move to Karachi but they did?

You're ignoring the fact that these migrants have many children and more than double their numbers within a generation, and often quadruple it within two. It's been nearly 20 years since Pakistan's last census. No one is suggesting that "half" of KPK and FATA moved to Karachi. And no one is suggesting that Karachi's population is between 25-30 million. Only that it is in the low 20's---17 or 18 million is definitely not correct.

There also has been quite a large natural population increase in Karachi, though most it did not come from Mohajirs/Urdu-speakers.

14 million for Karachi?

According to Wiki, yes yes I know it's not a very valid source, but if you've got another one, post it here, Karachi covers an area of 3,781 km2 compared to Lahore's 550 km2. Yet if we are to accept this report, Karachi's density is no where near as high compared to Lahore. Which is BS, anyone who's been to both cities knows that at the very minimum, the density is at similar levels.

Here's one reputable source showing Karachi's population to be 25 million:

Major Agglomerations of the World - Population Statistics and Maps.png

Now that might be a bit high, but every estimate shows a population figure of well over 20 million.

This same source shows Lahore to have a population of 10.5 million:

Major Agglomerations of the World - Population Statistics and Maps2.png

http://citypopulation.de/world/Agglomerations.html

So the census counted Lahore's population be about 11 million, but Karachi's population to be only 17 or 18 million?!

Last edited:
You're ignoring the fact that these migrants have many children and more than double their population within a generation. It's been nearly 20 years since Pakistan's last census. No one is suggesting that "half" of KPK and FATA moved to Karachi. And no one is suggesting that Karachi's population is between 25-30 million. Only that it in the low 20's---17 or 18 million is definitely not correct.

There also has been quite a large natural increase in Karachi, though most it did not come from Mohajirs/Urdu-speakers.

Here's one reputable source showing Karachi's population to be 25 million:

View attachment 421127
Now that is probably a bit high, but every estimate shows a population figure of well over 20 million.

This same source shows Lahore to have a population of 10.5 million:

View attachment 421143

http://citypopulation.de/world/Agglomerations.html

So the census counted Lahore's population be about 11 million, but Karachi's population to be only 17 or 18 million?!

Yeah, I think I am going to wait until the official figures are released, there's too much conjecture at the moment.

Are you saying that the total population should be even higher (i.e more than 207 million) because cities are undercounted w.r.t their actual population (i.e actual hidden sample units from grand total)....or such people have been alloted to rural instead of urban (i.e effectively grand total is ok but urban and rural % are wrong i.e biased to too high in rural)?

I was wondering the same thing yesterday. I'm thinking that they might have shifted the urban population to rural areas of Sindh. I doubt the Sindh government would have deliberately understated the provinces total population. I really don't know for sure though.

However, even if they simply did not account for some people in Karachi and Hyderabad, it would only push the total population of the country up by 5 or 6 million at most---207 vs 210 or 213 or something. Not a big difference in the country's total population (and the per capita figures derived from it). It does make big difference within the province of Sindh, though.

anyways if Karachi numbers do not satisfy parties then they should repeat the census in Karachi.

I completely agree.

Where people feel something is wrong, they will likely redo census in that place with help of Nadra.

They better if the final figure for Karachi is below 20 million. That simply does not make sense--especially seeing how Lahore and other major cities grew.

you have not even taken the whole karachi area
scale is same as in your pic (10KM)
I only marked out the built area of Lahore and super-imposed that on Karachi. The built area of Karachi is visible and you can then from their sort of compare. Note I marked only the built area and not the legal city limits. Since people reside in only built environment. The only issue that complicates the comparison is built could mean two storey building housing one family of 5 or one building of ten storeys housing ten familes of aggregating to 50 people. That is why I said those who live their could make comment about densties in each city.

Back
Top Bottom