What's new

2017 Census: Population by city Karachi 14.9m, Lahore 11.12m, Faisalabad 3.2m

I don't understand why Punjab is more populated and I'm happy Hyd is above islamabad

The only one losing here is punjab by huge -2.67% in just 19 years because of illegals in other provinces, PBS better keep them out when final results are released.

Punjab's share of the population decreased from 55% to 52%, and this is a "loss" to you? Give me a break...

The increase of KPK & Balochistan, and the decrease of Punjab's share of the population has to do with economics, not illegal immigrants. No offense, but this part of your post reeks of stupidity. Northern/Central Punjab is the most developed part of the country outside of Islamabad/Rawalpindi and interior Karachi. Wealthier, more educated people have less children than lower income, less educated families. That's why southern Punjab has grown at a faster rate than northern Punjab, and why the Mohajir share of Karachi's population continues to decline.

And in any case, it's not about "winning" or "losing". It's sad that you see it this way. What it's about is giving every person an equal voice in the national and provincial assemblies. So much for "democracy" in Pakistan...

Again Samaa tv was just repeating same estimates without any basis just 1 day after census ended, they needed few months to get initial numbers after census was over. International sources are basically what some people in Pakistan have been saying, they are not based on facts.

The only one losing here is punjab by huge -2.67% in just 19 years because of illegals in other provinces, PBS better keep them out when final results are released.

So property values have been skyrocketing in Karachi for no reason, and all of the international sources were wildly off by many millions? I see.

Great explanation.

Last edited:
This figures from which ever English newspaper is this seem to be wrong. I will wait for Government figures. Because few weeks back Dunya News Claimed that Rawalpindi population is 5.6 Million and Islamabad 2.1 Million and Peshawer at 4 Million and Quetta at 2 Million and and Karachi at 17 Million. This newspaper is telling way low so something is wrong here

@Gunah-e-Kabira

Punjab's share of the population decreased from 55% to 52%, and this is a "loss" to you? Give me a break...

Yes its a huge deal because illegals are being counted in 207.7m.

The increases of KPK & Balochistan, and decrease of Punjab has to do with economics, not illegal immigrants. No offense, but this part of your post reeks of stupidity. Northern/Central Punjab is the most developed part of the country outside of Islamabad/Rawalpindi and interior Karachi. Wealthier, more educated people have less children than lower income families. That's why Southern Punjab has grown at a faster rate than northern Punjab, and why the Mohajir population of Karachi continues to decline.

Actually check out report, it mention they are counting afghan refugees and other illegals. Only those living in refugee camps are not counted and we know these make small minority of overall population.

What it's about is giving every person an equal voice in the national and provincial assemblies. So much for "democracy" in Pakistan...

Only if population increase comes from native population and not afghan refugees or bengalis. Karachi properties have started to rise after operation, it was on constant decline since 2008. Use common sense and tell how did international sources come up with population of any Pakistani city sitting thousand of miles away. Looks like census was waste of $200 million as we just need to make guess now based on what people say for political reasons.

This figures from which ever English newspaper is this seem to be wrong. I will wait for Government figures. Because few weeks back Dunya News Claimed that Rawalpindi population is 5.6 Million and Islamabad 2.1 Million and Peshawer at 4 Million and Quetta at 2 Million and and Karachi at 17 Million. This newspaper is telling way low so something is wrong here

@Gunah-e-Kabira

Duniya news made up estimates. Official figures released after CCI meeting.

Actually check out report, it mention they are counting afghan refugees and other illegals. Only those living in refugee camps are not counted and we know these make small minority of overall population.

You're clearly missing the point here. The vast majority of the population increase in KPK and Balochistan has come from natural growth, not migration from Afghanistan. The total fertility rate is quite high in KPK and Balochistan.

In any case, my issue is not with the share of each provinces' population, but the apparent massive under-counting of Karachi and Hyderabad.

Only if population increase comes from native population and not afghan refugees or bengalis.

The Express Tribune quoted a government official source a few years back who stated that illegal immigrants from Bangladesh totaled 1.5 million in the whole country. If we assume that there are over a million illegal immigrants from Bangladesh residing in Karachi, and perhaps another million or so from Afghanistan, that still doesn't explain the outrageous 14 million figure for Karachi. And if, as you're saying, that figure actually includes illegal immigrants, then the figure makes even less sense (as much as that's possible).

Use common sense and tell how did international sources come up with population of any Pakistani city sitting thousand of miles away.

Use common sense and think about how international sources estimate the population of cities and countries across the globe, and are usually correct.

But somehow, with Karachi, they were all wildly inaccurate---even though they were correct for Lahore.

Yes its a huge deal because illegals are being counted in 207.7m.

Only if population increase comes from native population and not afghan refugees or bengalis. Karachi properties have started to rise after operation, it was on constant decline since 2008. Use common sense and tell how did international sources come up with population of any Pakistani city sitting thousand of miles away. Looks like census was waste of $200 million as we just need to make guess now based on what people say for political reasons.

Duniya news made up estimates. Official figures released after CCI meeting.
Official figures released yesterday are not of cities yet. They are only of How many population in various provinces and FATA and ICT

This makes absolutely no sense.

Not only have they been migrating, they also tend to have very large families---especially Pashtuns.

Karachi has seen far more migration than Lahore. And yet, we're supposed to believe that not only in percentage terms, but even in absolute terms, Lahore has seen a larger population increase (5.5 million for Karachi vs 6 million for Lahore). This is such a joke it's hard to put into words.

Fine, but where did they get this information from?:

https://www.samaa.tv/pakistan/2017/05/shocking-statistics-after-population-census-in-pakistan/

Oh my.

Many reputable international sources had been estimating Karachi's population to be well over 20 million (20-25, generally). But according to you, they were all wrong, and by a margin of 5-10 million people?!

Hahahaha..... I think census people doesn't see 10 million Afghanis, qabailis, Talbans and Na Maloom Afraads in Karachi. Anyway nothing unexpected.

PS: I didn't belong to MQM.

I'm talking about the population figure for Karachi. Lahore more than doubled in size, but Karachi only grew by 60%? And Hyderabad grew by only 49%? This is an absolute joke.
Pindi,s population is 2 million?What a joke

If you've been to Lahore you'll understand why Lahore's number is incredibly high. There are people coming from all over the province. This is in my opinion due to the Lahore centric governance in Punjab. That's where all the opportunities are. The city is not prepared for it and the streets are getting severely tight. People from rural areas are going to Lahore in droves.
The ground water has dangerous level of arsenic,mercury and winters are plagued by smog covered skies

You're clearly missing the point here. The vast majority of the population increase in KPK and Balochistan has come from natural growth, not migration from Afghanistan. The total fertility rate is quite high in KPK and Balochistan.

In any case, my issue is not with the share of each provinces' population, but the apparent massive under-counting of Karachi and Hyderabad.

I'm not saying there is conspiracy against punjab by reducing almost 3% of of population, just that according to PBS they are counting illegals which are musty located in other 3 provinces. Baloch will also make same point when language results are released.

The Express Tribune quoted a government official source a few years back who stated that illegal immigrants from Bangladesh totaled 1.5 million in the whole country. If we assume that there are over a million illegal immigrants from Bangladesh residing in Karachi, and perhaps another million or so from Afghanistan, that still doesn't explain the outrageous 14 million figure for Karachi. And if, as you're saying, that figure actually includes illegal immigrants, then the figure makes even less sense (as much as that's possible).

Use common sense and think about how international sources estimate the population of cities and countries across the globe, and are usually correct.

But somehow, with Karachi, they were all wildly inaccurate---even though they were correct for Lahore.

International sources just wrote what some people with agenda were telling them without doing any census what so ever. Karachi population increased 60% which is a lot and only possible with migration but 30m never made sense. Also Karachi division population will likely be 17-18m.

Lahore have over 300 private housing societies and it has luxury of expansion on east, south, west and north because its mustly plain area. Though now Lahore have stopped expanding east and west and is going towards south. Karachi on the other hand can't expand towards west because it border Balochistan. Only area left is north outside of city limits of Karachi where Bahria town and some other housing societies are coming up. And in main city lots of apartment buildings to take better advantage of land.

lots of people are living here for decades but still register themselves in other provinces, only those who own properties in Karachi register themselves here.

i dont know about the procedure of census, its more likely that census officials have put them according to their permanent address hence low numbers of Karachi.

anyways if Karachi numbers do not satisfy parties then they should repeat the census in Karachi.

lots of people are living here for decades but still register themselves in other provinces, only those who own properties in Karachi register themselves here.

i dont know about the procedure of census, its more likely that census officials have put them according to their permanent address hence low numbers of Karachi.

anyways if Karachi numbers do not satisfy parties then they should repeat the census in Karachi.

It doesn't matter where you are registered unless you have moved in less then 6 months ago, only exception were some registered IDP who have not gone back from KP yet. There are other ways to verify numbers with Nadra help, its not that hard. Census teams even counted all illegals without CNIC.

Last edited:
right, can you post Karachi's population according to 1998 census?

9 million?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_populous_cities_in_Pakistan

http://www.pbs.gov.pk/sites/default/files//tables/City District Karachi at a glance.pdf

1998 census Karachi city 9.33m. karachi district 9.85m
http://www.pbs.gov.pk/sites/default/files//tables/City District Karachi at a glance.pdf

2017 Karachi city 14.9m, district likely 17m but we don't know yet till PBS release district data.

Back
Top Bottom