What's new

2017 Census: Population by city Karachi 14.9m, Lahore 11.12m, Faisalabad 3.2m

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
11201708260073.JPG

11201708260251.JPG

Sir now its actually make sense, we just need to purge out afghans and other illegal counted in 207.7m to get final figure. I believe population is 205m without them.

Sir, I'm not referring to the total population figure, which I don't take issue with.

I'm talking about the population figure for Karachi. Lahore more than doubled in size, but Karachi only grew by 60%? And Hyderabad grew by only 49%? This is an absolute joke.

Sir, I'm not referring to the total population figure, which I don't take issue with.

I'm talking about the population figure for Karachi. Lahore more than doubled in size, but Karachi only grew by 60%? And Hyderabad grew by only 49%? This is an absolute joke.

Sindh urban population now is 52%, up from 48%. Lahore has grown because of dozens housing societies being build all over and its keep expanding. Rural to urban migration from nearby regions basically otherwise punjab population have come down from 55.62% to 52.95%. In my life never seen anyone saying lets go and settle in Karachi, its always Islamabad or Lahore. People in interior sindh are not that rich to buy houses in Karachi.

But still 60% increase for Karachi is quite a lot and in line with other cities apart from Lahore and Islamabad. Even FATA MNA's were hyping their population to be 10 or even 15m which never made any sense.

If you've been to Lahore you'll understand why Lahore's number is incredibly high. There are people coming from all over the province. This is in my opinion due to the Lahore centric governance in Punjab. That's where all the opportunities are. The city is not prepared for it and the streets are getting severely tight. People from rural areas are going to Lahore in droves.

If you've been to Lahore you'll understand why Lahore's number is incredibly high. There are people coming from all over the province. This is in my opinion due to the Lahore centric governance in Punjab. That's where all the opportunities are. The city is not prepared for it and the streets are getting severely tight. People from rural areas are going to Lahore in droves.

Census teams were only surprised at Lahore and Islamabad population expansion when census was going on and now we know why.

In my life never seen anyone saying lets go and settle in Karachi, its always Islamabad or Lahore. People in interior sindh are not that rich to buy houses in Karachi

That's because most of the people moving to Karachi have been poor people migrating from KPK and rural Punjab (especially southern Punjab), not interior Sindh. The Pashtun and Punjabi/Seraiki population in Karachi has exploded. Have you visited the city recently? Your reasoning makes no sense.

If you've been to Lahore you'll understand why Lahore's number is incredibly high. There are people coming from all over the province. This is in my opinion due to the Lahore centric governance in Punjab. That's where all the opportunities are.

Sir, I have no problem with Lahore's population figure. To me, it seems to be quite accurate. It's population had been estimated to be around 10 million, and the census showed that as well.

Karachi's figure had been estimated to be 20-25 million. I thought it to be around 23 million. And the preliminary census figure was 23.1 million, I believe. Now the census is showing a figure of 14 million?! This flies in the face of every estimate made from just about any source up to this point, and common sense.

This is truly unbelievable...

That's because most of the people moving to Karachi have been poor people coming from KPK and rural Punjab (especially southern Punjab), not interior Sindh. The Pashtun and Punjabi/Seraiki population in Karachi has exploded. Have you visited the city recently? Your reasoning makes no sense.

I'm sure there have been migration otherwise Karachi will not grow by 60% which is bit higher then national average. Urban people have less kids so only migration can explain such growth. But punjabi/seraiki and pashtun population migrating in droves was exaggeration as we will soon find out when language results are released.

Sir, I have no problem with Lahore's population figure. To me, it seems to be quite accurate. It's population had been estimated to be around 10 million, and the census showed that as well.

Karachi's figure had been estimated to be 20-25 million. I thought it to be around 23 million. And the preliminary census figure was 23.1 million, I believe. Now the census is showing a figure of 14 million?! This flies in the face of every estimate made from just about any source up to this point, and common sense.

This is truly unbelievable...

Yes estimates which were just guess work. Like FATA population being 10m or 15m. No preliminary results were released before today.

Punjab's Population decrease by 3% in past 19 years and so does her share in provincial divisional pool but that's not the news.

The news is Karachi population turning out not as exaggerated as Karachiites always balbering about.

I'm sure there have been migration otherwise Karachi will not grow by 60% which is bit higher then national average. Urban people have less kids so only migration can explain such growth. But punjabi/seraiki and pashtun population migrating in droves was exaggeration as we will soon find out when language results are released.

Not only have they been migrating, they also tend to have very large families---especially Pashtuns.

Karachi has seen far more migration than Lahore. And yet, we're supposed to believe that not only in percentage terms, but even in absolute terms, Lahore has seen a larger population increase (5.5 million for Karachi vs 6 million for Lahore). This is such a joke it's hard to put into words.

No preliminary results were released before today.

Fine, but where did they get this information from?:

https://www.samaa.tv/pakistan/2017/05/shocking-statistics-after-population-census-in-pakistan/

Yes estimates which were just guess work. Like FATA population being 10m or 15m. No preliminary results were released before today.

Oh my.

Many reputable international sources had been estimating Karachi's population to be well over 20 million (20-25, generally). But according to you, they were all wrong, and by a margin of 5-10 million people?!

Not only have they been migrating, they also tend to have very large families---especially Pashtuns.

Karachi has seen far more migration than Lahore. And yet, we're supposed to believe that not only in percentage terms, but even in absolute terms, Lahore has seen a larger population increase (5.5 million for Karachi vs 6 million for Lahore). This is such a joke it's hard to put into words.

Fine, but where did they get this information from?:

https://www.samaa.tv/pakistan/2017/05/shocking-statistics-after-population-census-in-pakistan/

Oh my.

Many reputable international sources had been estimating Karachi's population to be well over 20 million (20-25, generally). But according to you, they were all wrong, and by a margin of 5-10 million people?!

Again Samaa tv was just repeating same estimates without any basis just 1 day after census ended, they needed few months to get initial numbers after census was over. International sources are basically what some people in Pakistan have been saying, they are not based on facts.

The only one losing here is punjab by huge -2.67% in just 19 years because of illegals in other provinces, PBS better keep them out when final results are released.

Punjab's Population decrease by 3% in past 19 years and so does her share in provincial divisional pool but that's not the news.

The news is Karachi population turning out not as exaggerated as Karachiites always balbering about.

Punjab share in NFC wouldn't have been decreased if stupid N-league was not instead looking to amend laws like ganja Nawaz being PM 3rd time if elected. Obviously average uneducated voter on street doesn't know or even care how it effect them. I bet Nawaz now is again looking to make some deal in expense of punjab.

Karachi exaggerated population estimates never made sense looking at numbers of registered voters.

Back
Top Bottom