What's new

2009 ICC Awards

Ingis

Reaction score

ICC Player of the Year - Mitchell Johnson (Australia)

ICC Test Player of the Year - Mahendra Singh Dhoni (India)

ICC ODI Player of the Year - Gautam Gambhir (India)

ICC Emerging Player of the Year - Peter Siddle (Australia)

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2009/10/01/sports/sports-uk-cricket-icc-award.html

Australia and India are the two talented teams in Test and ODI cricket currently and these awards clearly reflect that.

ICC Player of the Year - Mitchell Johnson (Australia)

ICC Test Player of the Year - Mahendra Singh Dhoni (India)

ICC ODI Player of the Year - Gautam Gambhir (India)

ICC Emerging Player of the Year - Peter Siddle (Australia)

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2009/10/01/sports/sports-uk-cricket-icc-award.html

Australia and India are the two talented teams in Test and ODI cricket currently and these awards clearly reflect that.

Yeah..... surely.... but i dont agree to u completely.... there are talented players in Australia and India but as a team both are not very good as Pakistan and South Africa.......

agreed world none pakistan to prvide cricketers with imance talented and proven cricketers players who won the awards are no closer to players of pakistan caliber

younis khan 319 test
umer gul 5/6 T 20
afridi 50 in SF 50 in final 50 in next game wickets but not given awards

as i mentioned in another thread:

well I heard last year Graeme Smith blamed ICC for listening BCCI too much just because they are the biggest source of income for ICC. SA performed well last year and yet they were not given too many awards and all credit was taken by India........ samething happened again

Is there any big trophy India won in last couple of years? but still they are being awarded for everything.... if you compare Afridi and Dilshan you find Afridi had played most valuable innings for Pakistan in t20 and also taken useful wickets so he deserved a lot more than him in T20. Afridi improved massively in ODIs and destroyed Australian line up in recent series and proved to be a great bowler but still did not even get a place in the ODI team of the year.

What the hell Gambhir did for India in 2009? he played only 3 test matches and was awarded the player of the year?

Where did Dhoni performed in the whole year? why was he named Captain of the both ODI and test teams although Smith was a lot better than him? whenever SA needed he stood up for SA and lead from the front...... but Dhoni was failed to unite his team on tense situations.... so many things man.... just as smith said, ICC is being controlled by BCCI these days

fully agreed with u sir i hope some one should say ICC on its face that u r unfair i hope it happens and critisism should happen on ICC globally not treting it members equally

u are right if guy get a test player of the year on basis of just 3 test than their is must be a probleum

and what did dhoni and india have did nothing dilshan was unfair pick afridi and umer were real winners award never mattered for any one it matters the ICC mentality to pakistan

Stop crying people.

Just because Team A wins one match against Team B doesn't mean Team A is better than Team B. That analysis is done on the basis of overall yearly analysis. And these awards clearly reflect that.

Stop crying people.

Just because Team A wins one match against Team B doesn't mean Team A is better than Team B. That analysis is done on the basis of overall yearly analysis. And these awards clearly reflect that.

oh really Ingis???

then you should prove us why Gambhir was awarded with the Best Test Batsmen of the year?

Check out the stats

Cricket Records | Records | 2009 | Test matches | Most runs | Cricinfo.com

He is not even in Top 20 highest runs scorer in 2009 and yet was awarded the best Test batsmen of the year :cheers:

See he only played 3 test matches and made 2 hundreds and 1 fifty while Samaraweera played 8 matches and made 4 hundreds and 2 fifties and scored 1000+ runs in calendar year and have almost the same average as Gambhir.

Is this fair to award Best Test player of the year by looking at 3 matches only?

Also If they were to look at the best performance then Younis Khan had 313 runs the highest individual runs in a match in 2009 and that 300+ is always a memorable inning and only rarely made by a batsmen so why not him then? why only Gambhir?

I don't mind if they had awarded it to anybody but what was so special in gambhir that other batsmen didn't qualify it? prove it with stats please

oh really Ingis???

then you should prove us why Gambhir was awarded with the Best Test Batsmen of the year?

Check out the stats

Cricket Records | Records | 2009 | Test matches | Most runs | Cricinfo.com

He is not even in Top 20 highest runs scorer in 2009 and yet was awarded the best Test batsmen of the year :cheers:

See he only played 3 test matches and made 2 hundreds and 1 fifty while Samaraweera played 8 matches and made 4 hundreds and 2 fifties and scored 1000+ runs in calendar year and have almost the same average as Gambhir.

Is this fair to award Best Test player of the year by looking at 3 matches only?

Also If they were to look at the best performance then Younis Khan had 313 runs the highest individual runs in a match in 2009 and that 300+ is always a memorable inning and only rarely made by a batsmen so why not him then? why only Gambhir?

I don't mind if they had awarded it to anybody but what was so special in gambhir that other batsmen didn't qualify it? prove it with stats please

this ICC 2009 award doesn't mean that they look stats from jan 1, 2009. even if you look those stats then also Gambhir's performance was best. highest average. In addition, he scored it on foreign soil while samarweera played most of the tests on the home ground. belive it or not, but icc conceder all these stats(performance in foreign grounds, ranking of the opponent, overall stats of the match like high scoring match(in most of the case of samarveera century.) etc. etc.). no doubt he played really nice innings.

India opener Gautam Gambhir has been named Test Player of the Year at the ICC awards ceremony in Johannesburg. Gambhir, who claimed his first ICC award of his career, was picked ahead of Australian fast bowler Mitchell Johnson, Sri Lanka's Thilan Samaraweera and England captain Andrew Strauss.

During the 12-month voting period, Gambhir put in some remarkable performances with the bat, making 1269 runs at an impressive 84.60 in the eight Tests he played. He scored five centuries and four half-centuries during the period.

Upon collecting the award from Sunil Gavaskar, the former Indian captain, the 27-year-old Gambhir said: "It's been a dream run for me. I never thought it could be like this but life has changed for me and I am very happy.

"As a unit we have played very well and I am just glad to contribute to the overall success of the team."

this is astonishing that Shahid Afridi has not given any award in T20Is?

india with its millions has the ICC in its pocket - ICC will not do anything without consulting india - this is the reality - here is a guy s/afridi, man-of-match in SF and Final and Dilshan made "duck" in the Final - you decide !!!

india is hell bent to isolate pak cricket and our problem is that our PCB head is such a bumbling idiot who dosnt know how to defend against indian propaganda - give india credit for doing a great job - this is not good for cricket!

Back
Top Bottom