What's new

20 most decisive battles of the world.

did any one mention about the
pashtuns vs british empire
Sultan Salahudin Ayubi
Afghan war against soviets

Some decisive battles that i can think of that altered the course of history significantly:

Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa: The last significant battle between Christian and Muslim armies in Spain. After this only the emirate of Grenada eventually survived as a vassal to the Christian state. In itself however it was at total mercy to Castilla-Aragon as was seen in 1492.

Battle of Waterloo: The "menace" of Napoleon finally came to an end. British dominance of Europe began.

Battle of Guagemala: Alexander routed the Persians. This was really the KO blow to Darius.

Battle of Hattin: Wasnt the nail in the coffin for the Crusaders as Crusader forts like Acre still survived along the Levantine coast but this was definitely a massive blow especially due to the loss of the all important Jerusalem to Saladin.

Battle of Ayn Jalut: The undefeatable Mongols finally halted by Beybars and his mamlukes. Egypt and Cairo would otherwise have suffered the same fate as Mesopotamia and Baghdad. The other North African states in no way held the same power as Beybars and God knows how far the Mongols would have marched.

Siege of Kostantuniye (Istanbul):Not a significant battle in itself as the Ottomans had achieved greater victories in other battles. However the consequence of Istanbuls fall is unrivaled in the history of the Balkans in my opinion. SE Europe would be dominated by the Osmanlis for the next 400 - 500 years.

Battle of Vienna (the one in 1683 under Kara Mustapha Pasha): Up to this point the Osmanlis had dominated Balkans and the Habsburgs were the secondary power. This battle would change the balance of power between the two.

Battle of Panipat: All of them are significant in their own light. In my opinion the second one was most significant as Hemu was a capable leader and the course of Medieval South Asian history could have been greatly altered had a strong Hindu leader come to power.

Battle of Manzikert: Arrival of the Turks into Anatolia. Gave a new impetus to the Islamic worlds fight with the Christian Byzantines.

Battle of Gettysburg: Turning point in the American civil war. Who knows how American history would have looked had the southerners won. Would America ever have become a world power if divided?
Battle of

I think Battle of Trafalgar should be included. Trafalgar decimated Napoleon's Navy and allowed Royal Navy to continue support the Continent of Europe. Had Royal Navy been defeated, Britain could not have helped her allies against Napoleon and he might have prevailed.

Some decisive battles that i can think of that altered the course of history significantly:

Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa: The last significant battle between Christian and Muslim armies in Spain. After this only the emirate of Grenada eventually survived as a vassal to the Christian state. In itself however it was at total mercy to Castilla-Aragon as was seen in 1492.

Battle of Waterloo: The "menace" of Napoleon finally came to an end. British dominance of Europe began.

Battle of Guagemala: Alexander routed the Persians. This was really the KO blow to Darius.

Battle of Hattin: Wasnt the nail in the coffin for the Crusaders as Crusader forts like Acre still survived along the Levantine coast but this was definitely a massive blow especially due to the loss of the all important Jerusalem to Saladin.

Battle of Ayn Jalut: The undefeatable Mongols finally halted by Beybars and his mamlukes. Egypt and Cairo would otherwise have suffered the same fate as Mesopotamia and Baghdad. The other North African states in no way held the same power as Beybars and God knows how far the Mongols would have marched.

Siege of Kostantuniye (Istanbul):Not a significant battle in itself as the Ottomans had achieved greater victories in other battles. However the consequence of Istanbuls fall is unrivaled in the history of the Balkans in my opinion. SE Europe would be dominated by the Osmanlis for the next 400 - 500 years.

Battle of Vienna (the one in 1683 under Kara Mustapha Pasha): Up to this point the Osmanlis had dominated Balkans and the Habsburgs were the secondary power. This battle would change the balance of power between the two.

Battle of Panipat: All of them are significant in their own light. In my opinion the second one was most significant as Hemu was a capable leader and the course of Medieval South Asian history could have been greatly altered had a strong Hindu leader come to power.

Battle of Manzikert: Arrival of the Turks into Anatolia. Gave a new impetus to the Islamic worlds fight with the Christian Byzantines.

Battle of Gettysburg: Turning point in the American civil war. Who knows how American history would have looked had the southerners won. Would America ever have become a world power if divided?
Battle of

Hmm...nice range of knowledge.Good post.
PM me if u are interested in any any particular battle or campaign or generally want to discuss military history.I have some excellent pdf books and documents,plus links on military books if u want.

I think Battle of Trafalgar should be included. Trafalgar decimated Napoleon's Navy and allowed Royal Navy to continue support the Continent of Europe. Had Royal Navy been defeated, Britain could not have helped her allies against Napoleon and he might have prevailed.

The question is whether or not to include naval battles. If yes, certainly Trafalgar ought to be there, but then so should many others.

Would Austerlitz have an opinion?

PM me if u are interested in any any particular battle or campaign or generally want to discuss military history.I have some excellent pdf books and documents,plus links on military books if u want.

But light on the history of the Orient, as is usual (and I include myself in this rebuke).

The question is whether or not to include naval battles. If yes, certainly Trafalgar ought to be there, but then so should many others.

Would Austerlitz have an opinion?

Why not sir? Naval battles should be included. Some like, Salamis, Lepanto,Midway and Coral Sea , Jutland are quite significant and interesting. Some are as important as any land battles in influencing the outcome of a war.

If you don't mind sir, could you kindly forward me the links to the books you mentioned? I would be grateful.

I believe The Battle of Guadalete was one of the most decisive battles in the world. It was in Islamic Spain that had enlightened Europe and brought it out of the dark ages to usher in the renaissance. Many of their cultural and intellectual influences still live with us today.

Battle of Guadalete (July 19, 711)

This battle took place close to the Guadalete River near the southern coast of the Iberian peninsula, between Muslim and Visigothic forces. An Arab and Amazigh (Berber) Muslim army of 7,000-10,000 soldiers crossed to Spain -- “the land of the Vandals” or Andalus as they called it -- from North Africa. The Amazighs (Berbers) possibly received the help of the governor of Ceuta, Count Julian. He confirmed that the peninsula offered numerous riches. The forces landed near a large mountain. It was later named Gibraltar (jabal Tariq, or Tariq’s mountain) in homage to the army commander, Tariq ibn Ziyad.

According to one account, Tariq burned the ships used for the crossing and stirred his troops with the words: “O People! There is nowhere to run away! The sea is behind you, and the enemy is before you. I swear to God, you have only sincerity and patience.”

Roderic was a Visigothic nobleman recently chosen as king. He had been fighting Basques in the north. Upon hearing of the new threat in the south, he rushed to meet the Muslims. His army is said to have been nearly 10 times larger than the Muslim forces.
With the routing of the Visigothic army -- including many prominent nobles -- the Muslim forces continued northward unhindered. They established garrisons in major cities and conquered many regions. Within a few years, virtually the entire peninsula came under Muslim rule.

The Visigothic kingdom came to an abrupt end. However, a local Asturian strong man named Pelayo fled to the extreme north beyond the reach of Muslim armies. (See below.) There, he founded the Kingdom of Asturias. In subsequent centuries, Asturias was regarded as the origin point for the Reconquista.

Nah compared to the rest guadalete was not really decisive.Meghdoot mate check ur pm,sending.
And welcome back joe.
And yes naval battles like lepanto,salamis,midway,actium,trafalgar and tshushima straits were certainly very decisive.

@meghdoot.I can't pm u for some reason .Tell me your email i'll send them.Joe u can send urs,i think u will find them nice reads.

Indeed toady world would be french dominated with no british wealth to rein her in.And no unified germany.

Back
Top Bottom