Strength of Parthian Empire

9,000 horse archers,
1,000 cataphracts

Casualties and losses of Roman Republic

20,000 dead,
10,000 captured,
10,000 escaped

Casualties and losses of Parthian Empire

I would like to add two modern battles to the list. One is Battle of Dien Bien Phu between French Foreign Legion and Viet-Minh. Ten thousand legionnaires were besieged by several divisions of General Giap and were eventually wiped out. This battle ended the French dream of continuation of Indo-China empire, and was the precursor to the most drawn out war of this century. The second one would be Tet offensive of 1968. This battle is significant not for it's military but political impact. Though ARVN/US forces were victorious, US citizens saw this as failure of US policy in Vietnam and gave rise to strong anti war movement which eventually forced US withdrawal from Vietnam.

Battle of Carrhae

Roman Republic vs Parthian Empire

Date 53 BC
Location Near Carrhae (Harran)
Result Decisive Parthian victory

Strength of Roman Republic

35,000 legionaries,
4,000 cavalry,
4,000 light infantry

9,000 horse archers,
1,000 cataphracts

20,000 dead,
10,000 captured,
10,000 escaped

I think you could include "Battle of Cannae". It was one of the most significant battle from tactical aspect. Hannibal's double envelopment of Roman legionnaires by drawing his center back and letting the wings of Carthegian army encircle them was a classic tactic which inspired generals throughout the ages.

Battle of Afghanistan, Soviet Union vs Afghans, Mujahideen, Pakistan/ISI, and others, 1979-1989. Result: Collapse of the Soviet Union, Liberation of Eastern European countries, German reunification, birth of CARs Turkic Republics, destabilization in Afghanistan, Taliban movement....
The collapse of USSR was mainly due to economic factors and revolutionary ideas of Gorbachev.

I think you could include "Battle of Cannae". It was one of the most significant battle from tactical aspect. Hannibal's double envelopment of Roman legionnaires by drawing his center back and letting the wings of Carthegian army encircle them was a classic tactic which inspired generals throughout the ages.
This battle is a superb example of tactical brilliance of Hannibal.

Unfortunately, Romans were almost at their peak during this period, strength wise. While Roman armies were destroyed on several fronts by Hannibal; the Romans just kept coming again and again and could afford to fight on several fronts. And the war was eventually lost.

Therefore, this battle did not left any enormous strategic impact on the world scene IMO.

Battle of Carrhae

Roman Republic vs Parthian Empire

Date 53 BC
Location Near Carrhae (Harran)
Result Decisive Parthian victory

Strength of Roman Republic

35,000 legionaries,
4,000 cavalry,
4,000 light infantry

9,000 horse archers,
1,000 cataphracts

20,000 dead,
10,000 captured,
10,000 escaped

Deserves inclusion, no doubt. But what are we discussing? ALL the decisive battles of the world, or the (10 or 20 or 50 or 100 or whatever number) of battles?

I would like to add two modern battles to the list. One is Battle of Dien Bien Phu between French Foreign Legion and Viet-Minh. Ten thousand legionnaires were besieged by several divisions of General Giap and were eventually wiped out. This battle ended the French dream of continuation of Indo-China empire, and was the precursor to the most drawn out war of this century. The second one would be Tet offensive of 1968. This battle is significant not for it's military but political impact. Though ARVN/US forces were victorious, US citizens saw this as failure of US policy in Vietnam and gave rise to strong anti war movement which eventually forced US withdrawal from Vietnam.

Good examples, but where do they rate, if we were to take a limited number of battles into consideration?

Also, isn't it strange that you and I and a few others from south Asia are discussing this, but nobody from Vietnam? I should have imagined that one of them would have come forward with this reminder!

A brilliant battle and inspiring others through the ages, down to today's era of vertical envelopment. But see the pertinent comment in the next posting.

The collapse of USSR was mainly due to economic factors and revolutionary ideas of Gorbachev.

This battle is a superb example of tactical brilliance of Hannibal.

Unfortunately, Romans were almost at their peak during this period, strength wise. While Roman armies were destroyed on several fronts by Hannibal; the Romans just kept coming again and again and could afford to fight on several fronts. And the war was eventually lost.

Therefore, this battle did not left any enormous strategic impact on the world scene IMO.

Nah compared to the rest guadalete was not really decisive.Meghdoot mate check ur pm,sending.
And welcome back joe.
And yes naval battles like lepanto,salamis,midway,actium,trafalgar and tshushima straits were certainly very decisive.

You list nothing but euro victories and have Napoleon in your avatar

lol you really are pathetic ... and I thought I already educated you about Lepanto ... the Ottomans rebuilding their fleet a mere 6 months later and asserting total dominance over the Mediterranean doesn't make it decisive especially when they take Tunis from the Spanish a short time after Lepanto ... Decisive is the Battle of Masts

Muslims containing Spain for 800 years as a result of that battle is decisive

Good examples, but where do they rate, if we were to take a limited number of battles into consideration?

Also, isn't it strange that you and I and a few others from south Asia are discussing this, but nobody from Vietnam? I should have imagined that one of them would have come forward with this reminder!

Well sir, I stated that these are modern battles. I meant post WWII, Auterlitz's list ended with WWII battles. I merely thought of expanding it to post WWII, I think we should make a different list for battles of 20th Century,there were so many wars in this period , would you kindly oblige?

A brilliant battle and inspiring others through the ages, down to today's era of vertical envelopment. But see the pertinent comment in the next posting.

I am aware of the fact. If you read my post you would see I mentioned it being significant from tactical aspects. Moreover if Hannibal marched into Rome soon after battle of Cannae, Roman empire might have ceased to exist. Whatever, I believe that Cannae's tactical significance still stands tall, as you have yourself mentioned. That's why I mentioned about it. But yes it may not be a top 20 contender.

Also one that hasn't been mentioned

The Battle of Badger Mouth

Battle of the Badger Mouth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chinggis Khan shows why he is a top 3 general in history ... even with the Mongol advantage of an open battlefield neutralized they still won ... half of the whole northern Chinese military was literally wiped out ...

Also someone mentioned Hannibal and the double envelope tactic he employed ... he is not the only one to do so independently ... Khalid bin Waleed (ra .. the greatest general in history) used this tactic as well against the Persians in the Battle of Walaja

Alp Arsalan also used a similar crescent shaped envelope technique at the Battle of Manzikert where he destroyed nearly the entire Roman military (Gibbon even said it was the largest army every assembled in Roman history, east or west) and sent them into crisis mode ... the roman emperor became his prisoner that day along with the whole of Anatolia falling into Turkish control ... the roman coward swines even went as far as CHINA for help against the Turks

This next battle is not anything decisive but it was the only defeat that the forces of Chinggis Khan suffered in his lifetime

Battle of Parwan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ironically Muslims were the only ones to not only give the Mongols defeat but halt their advancement ... eurotrash got owned as expected ... not like they can actually fight when they don't have their walls to hid behind

Battle of Mohi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Battle of Legnica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You list nothing but euro victories and have Napoleon in your avatar

lol you really are pathetic ... and I thought I already educated you about Lepanto ... the Ottomans rebuilding their fleet a mere 6 months later and asserting total dominance over the Mediterranean doesn't make it decisive especially when they take Tunis from the Spanish a short time after Lepanto ... Decisive is the Battle of Masts

Muslims containing Spain for 800 years as a result of that battle is decisive

Very well sher ali the next in the long line of ignorant religiousy zealous novices,first of all your tendency to divide every topic on religious or racial underlines proves it is you who is actually the racist religious fanatic with the inferiority complex here.Because u simply seem unable to ***** any number of battles that don't include muslims,and any victories by european armies as *** licking rather than as a general part of military history.
Second of all the main reason western generals are most discussed is simply because their historical sources are far more available.
And third of all as far as lepanto is concerned you would do well to educate yourself boy,it is not the ships but the 30000 skilled sailors and marines killed that made the battle decisive.The fleet was rebuilt but the ottoman admiral didn't have confidence in his raw sailors and didn't risk battle.Also by 1580 they had beached their whole fleet because of this.
And if u will see i have already mentioned manzikert as a decisive battle.
Also there is no doubt khalid is one of the greatest generals of all time[just not the greatest] along with subedei.[i prefer him over genghis]
I concur with the fact that the mongols were probably the greatest army of all time.
As for napoleon[who I consider the greatest],he fought more battles than anyone else in history and also pioneered the corps system that all modern armies use.[including the PA] so read up on him a little before blankly criticizing everything about him.
We don't have to agree on who we think is greatest,everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I agree with you.

It has significance for conducting military operations. As an example; US also used similar approach to encircle Iraqi military forces during Gulf War 1991.

However, this battle (itself) had no real impact on the second punic war; Romans utimately won the war.

It can be argued that interception of Hasdrubal Barca's army proved to be the most decisive event during the second punic war.

Austerlitz

How do matters stand at this point? What additions, subtractions and modifications have you found admissible from the various suggestions made? Could you present an amended list and then follow up with your own view of each battle, what you find striking about it, or about its strategic context, and, if possible, something about the significance in military methodology involved in each? Otherwise this will become just another listing exercise, and one where every dimwit comes on board with challenges to one and all, and a high level of discourtesy marking the exchanges.

Looking forward to your response.

Well i'm pretty much sticking to the original list except a few changes.
If anyone has a contender he will have to name a battle compared to which his candidate is more decisive.

In chronological order.
1.Battle of Salamis.480 BC.
Picked this over marathon as the persian force at marathon would have been too small to conquer greece and even if it had won in all probability would have been crushed by the arrival of spartan reinforcements.On salamis however hinged the fate of all greece as a persian victory would mean the persian forces would outflank the greek forces blocking the isthmus of corinth.

2.Battle of metaurus 207 BC.Ensures survival of rome by denying hannibal reinforcements and siege equipment,Took this instead of zama because by that time rome had already won the war.

3.Battle of actium.Formation and consolidation the roman empire under augustus.

4.Battle of teutoburg forest 9AD .Ensures seperate german identity.

5.Battle of yarmouk 636.Islam becomes a world player.

6.Tours 732.Non islamic western europe ensured.

7.Orleans 1429.Joan of arc's victory ensures france's survival and no union of anglo french thrones.

8.Constantinopole 1453.Beginning of ottoman supremacy and lasting effect on balkans and world diplomacy.

9.Vienna 1529.Survival of europe vs ottomans at their zenith.

10.Gravelines 1588.Defeat of spanish armada ensures seperate british identity.

11.Blenheim 1704.Europe saved from french hegemony.

12.Poltava.Russia becomes a great power.

13.Plassey.The british dominion over india meant they would be richest country in the world.Seeds of pax britannica.

14.Saratoga.Key battle in american war of independence.

15.Battle of valmy.The french revolution survives.

16.Battle of trafalgar/battle of leipzig.Unsure which one to take.Victory over napoleon.

17.Battle of sedan 1871.Germany unified.Replaces france as the greatest european power.Seeds of anglo french rivalry and 2 world wars.

18.Marne 1914.France survives the german onslaught.

19.Battle of britain 1940.Britain survives leaving the springboard for normandy open.

20.Stalingrad/moscow.Both equally decisive in the defeat of hitler.

Btw if u want more discussions on military history,join historum forums.I'm there too.

http://www.historum.com/
Looking forward to seing u there.Cheers.

AUSTERLITZ, I will be there after this weekend; until then, there is a certain amount of housekeeping and cleaning up to do. I have unfortunately got involved in an ugly brawl with some religious bigots from India, and it is time-consuming and unpleasant.

Meanwhile, may I forward some random thoughts to you? These do not have much to recommend them, not any deep thought, just spontaneous reactions as I read through.

If anyone has a contender he will have to name a battle compared to which his candidate is more decisive.

In chronological order.
Picked this over marathon as the persian force at marathon would have been too small to conquer greece and even if it had won in all probability would have been crushed by the arrival of spartan reinforcements.On salamis however hinged the fate of all greece as a persian victory would mean the persian forces would outflank the greek forces blocking the isthmus of corinth.

2.Battle of metaurus 207 BC.Ensures survival of rome by denying hannibal reinforcements and siege equipment,Took this instead of zama because by that time rome had already won the war.

7.Orleans 1429.Joan of arc's victory ensures france's survival and no union of anglo french thrones.

8.Constantinopole 1453.Beginning of ottoman supremacy and lasting effect on balkans and world diplomacy.

13.Plassey.The british dominion over india meant they would be richest country in the world.Seeds of pax britannica.

16.Battle of trafalgar/battle of leipzig.Unsure which one to take.Victory over napoleon.

17.Battle of sedan 1871.Germany unified.Replaces france as the greatest european power.Seeds of anglo french rivalry and 2 world wars.

19.Battle of britain 1940.Britain survives leaving the springboard for normandy open.

Btw if u want more discussions on military history,join historum forums.I'm there too.

AUSTERLITZ

Here, after a night's sleep, my ruminations: proof that a night's sleep does nothing for deep seated infirmities of the intellect. Please go easy on your responses. I emphasise, these are selected at random, and placed chronologically, not as replacements. What I sought to highlight was the strategic nature of the battle, and its links to the region where it occurred. I also sought a more global view, with east Asia, south Asia and the middle east featuring in the list of additions or replacements.

In chronological order.

Battle of Hydaspes, 326 BC: marked the end of Alexander's ability to wage war, as it marked the end of his ability to carry his Macedonians with him.

Were not Chalons, 451 AD, Aetius and Theodoric the Visigoth vs. Attila, or Lechfeld, 955 AD, as important if not more, in terms of preserving European identity?

A brilliant victory and a strategic moment. Yet French domination of European affairs started long before that. Might I draw your attention back to Breitenfeld, 1631, Gustavus Adolphus Magnus & John George of Saxony vs. Tilly and Bavarian forces? In some ways, it is a more exciting, blood-quickening battle, with the King leading his Hakkapelliitaas in repeated charges and rolling up the Imperial line.

Equally brilliant, perhaps, a demonstration of the strange new Swedish doctrines of a outrance cavalry charges, of attached field artillery, of cross-training, with Swedish cavalrymen turning their captured Imperial guns against the Imperial line, of the flexibility of the Swedish musketeers under Horn and Tortensson against the doomed, gallant tercios, crawling their way across the front in a charge at tortoise pace, doomed before they reached due to the flexibility and speed of the Protestant side's responses.

By defeating Gustavus Adolphus Magnus' successor, and slowly bringing to an end the time of great power for Sweden.

But in two years, the Battle of the Plains of Abraham, 1759 AD, did the equivalent for the British conquest of Canada. Certain risible thoughts come to mind, to do with our forum, the composition of its members, and the popularity of a battle to gain Canada over a battle to gain India, but perhaps these droll passages can find expression later.

In keeping with the wishes of those who sought more naval battles in the mix, may I suggest Tsushima, 1905, Japan vs. Russia? Strategic, because it set the tone for east Asian politics for the next century. It allowed Japan more or less free access to China, and ensured that a stung, humiliated China would come storming back to take centre stage in the world of the 21st century. And the battle-craft as well as the technology on display was not bad either.

On the other hand, Maestro, consider Megiddo, 1918, Allies vs. Turkey with German Advisers, which set the tone for the Middle East for the rest of the period from then till now. This perhaps did for the Middle East, what Tsushima did for East Asia.

Kohima, 1944, stopped the Japanese advance into India. Once inside India, the consequences for the British might have become unpredictable, if ever the Japanese could have linked up to the anti-Imperial province of Bengal.

Back
Top Bottom