What's new

2.75 Million Olive Trees Planted in Pakistan.

This is one of the most stupid things and represents the short sighted nature of planners.

Instead of focusing on what is native to this climate and land, and can be processed as value add product,
they are focusing on olive oil.

The world has enough olive oil and the only reason it is expensive in pakistan is due to tax.

This is one of the most stupid things and represents the short sighted nature of planners.

Instead of focusing on what is native to this climate and land, and can be processed as value add product,

The world has enough olive oil and the only reason it is expensive in pakistan is due to tax.
Pakistan has to import palm oil.....
If we can produce enough to fulfill our own needs its a win-win both in money and health of people....
And it is native, only difference is that before, it wasn't bearing fruit and now it is!

Pakistan has planted more than 2.75 Million Olive Trees on more than 30000 Acre of land. Pakistan has 10 Million acre suitable land for Olive Plantation

@El Sidd

My big thumbs up for Pakistan. Guys, focus on bamboo plantation. It has the solution of many problems faced by sub continent countries. I had extensively written on the subject on other forums.

My big thumbs up for Pakistan. Guys, focus on bamboo plantation. It has the solution of many problems faced by sub continent countries. I had extensively written on the subject on other forums.
Feel free to compile your posts into one and post a thread on it, especially if you can tailor your views towards Pakistan.

Pakistan has planted more than 2.75 Million Olive Trees on more than 30000 Acre of land. Pakistan has 10 Million acre suitable land for Olive Plantation

@El Sidd
Mashallah lets cover the 10 million and provide the villagers some job so maybe they can get out of wadera dependence.

Olive is one of the few trees that can be planted in barren land and bare fruits. It requires very small amount of water compared to other crops as well. It is only being planted in places which dont have much fertile land so we are not causing any damage to environment but rather making use of land which is being wasted. Secondly we need to cut our palm oil imports which is in billions of dollars and also it is very high in cholesterol. Olive oil is not only cholesterol free but also rich in several vitamins and other nutrients. Green Impact on our environment will be massive and will yield positive results. Also per capita income of Olive tree is one of the highest amongst all the crops so it is a revenue generating crop not some waste of space. Olive oil costs almost twice the regular oil which means there is lot of demand and not enough production. So most of your assumptions here are wrong.

Bamboo can be grown but India has the best tropical climate for it.

Mashallah lets cover the 10 million and provide the villagers some job so maybe they can get out of wadera dependence.
can this be a featured thread?

Thank you Italy, Bravo to people involved in this project.
I didn't know this but there are many other fruits that Italy introduced to Pakistan like strawberry.

Not so fast, do some research on Kinno production in Pakistan ............now a proudly Pakistani Kinno was not native either .... want more examples?

I'm not too knowledgeable about these things, but Pakistan needs some serious water management regulations and oversight. I hope the government knows what its doing and has studied what trees to plant where and what effects it might have on water supplies. Planting the wrong kind of trees in the wrong places can and has in the past caused more acute shortage of water elsewhere. Impact should be studied carefully before deciding.

Crops with low water usage and high nutrient count per litre of water used should be promoted too. Unfortunately, olives themselves are not too great for water usage per calorie. Although maybe some more consideration has happened here that I am not aware of. Flood irrigation methods should be used less, it's too widespread and it seems dated, drip irrigation massively reduces water usage/evaporation and it doesn't reduce yield either. A lot of water is also lost to poorly maintained irrigation and drainage infrastructure, more work needed here. At the same time, meat industry's water footprint needs to be looked at seriously. Cows and beef are completely unsustainable for water stressed countries like ours.

bGEuuTx.png

Despite the fact that it is my own personal favorite meat, the water consumption is just too huge for it to be a preferred form of produce from the government's sustainability planning perspective. We might eventually see the day where water usage is taxed in order to discourage less productive uses.

1-s2.0-S1470160X17308592-gr3.jpg

The crops that are the most ideal are the top left quadrant, maximum nutritional value for lowest water usage, bottom right quadrant should be avoided/taxed etc. Especially nuts, they offer very little nutritional value and are very thirsty crops.

Take a look for example at our irrigation intensity per hectare:

Annual-water-consumption-by-country-for-16-food-crops-in-precipitation-limited-areas-with.png

It is beyond woeful and I'm sure some even minor and low tech effort in this sector could save the country a lot of water in agriculture. IMO if anything is to be done, it will have to be pressed by government. Only they can push for the greater good, agriculturalists might not care how much water they use as long as they have access, it's the rest who pay for inefficiency if we have shortages in the future. So government care and effort is needed here. It is entirely possible for Pakistan to boost productivity/yield per hectare, while also reducing water and carbon footprint, that too most of the effort in early stages can be relatively low cost and very high positive impact, drip and micro-irrigation is one example.

For drip irrigation, water usage can be reduced by half, while cases I've heard of in Pakistan, uptake has allowed poor farmers to cultivate more land while using less water.

These things need to be looked at as well as the usual building of dams, reservoirs and maintaining aquifers. Water treatment/recycling can come later and even desalination, as these are expensive and not ideal for us.

Back
Top Bottom