What's new

15 Jordanian F-16 for sale

Why is it that every time a weapon is tested or purchased, people start comparing with other side.
When was the last time an aerial battle took place between the two sides, in 80s we fought aerial battles on the Afghan border, for the last several years, our air force has been involved in WOT, for arguments sake, when was the last time IAF fired in anger, doing some ad hock missions within own territory on a designated area during kargil is no big achievement.
If we get these F-16s, they will certainly enhance PAF's capabilities as they are much more capable systems than say the F-7s or Mirages and can easily counter any outside threat.

I couldn't have expected such an emotional, albeit absent deep insight, response from you.

As @Bratva so rightly states, in post 121, these may not be effective against IAF and since IAF is the only real reason we even have a military and Air Force, it is kind of short sighted to continue procurement of these jets especially since we are unable to upgrade them beyond understanding of IAF and also because we cannot count on the US to continue with supplies of spares in the event we actually need them in a war.

I think its better to restrict our scope of our argument on realistic expectations and present capabilities. The grim reality is, Our F-16 wont be upgraded from present configuration. The grim reality is with the backing of Israel,france,sweden and america, The current capabilities of both mirage and mig matches more or less 95 percent of our F-16 fleet except block52 surpasses them in some areas not in all areas. But with the future upgrades and advancement of technologies in Israeli and french , russian tech, Mig-29 and Mirage has 100 percent more chance to get AESA radar and AESA jammers thus surpassing 100 percent of F-16 fleet capabilities.

The grim reality is, India has fairly very good idea of F-16 block 52 electronic and radar capabilities thanks to more advanced singaporian block-52 being stationed inside India. So they have complete profile of F-16 and Our side of block-52 wont give them any unexpected surprises

People often underestimate upgraded F-16s. As far Indian upgrades, obviously they will improve MiGs and Mirage to next level. Will it bring to F-16AM level? Mirage 2000 may be, MiG-29? definitely not. Then there is this lethality of AIM-120C. A proven killer in air to air engagements. There isn't a missile of this category in Indian inventory.

Does Singaporean stationed F-16s tell everything to Indians there is to know about F-16s? No. Very little indeed. Electronic footprints, techniques, munitions and specifics are closely guarded secrets. Singaporeans do not have access themselves so how can they give it to Indians? LM will go out of business if its trade secrets are changing hands so conveniently. So please don't give in to Indian propaganda that they know all about -16s. They don't. What they can have is exercise against these jets or sometimes fly in these jets. They will know how Singaporean air force employs them. How PAF will employ them, might be entirely different and vice versa.

Given the current situation, these Jordanian F-16s are best bang for the buck. Consider that a Squadron of F-7PG is replaced by these jets. 5 years from now, Su-30 make intrusion into Pakistan. Would you prefer F-7s to face them with two short range missiles and limited litre time or these F-16s with six AMRAAMs? Guess what, these -16s may be cheaper to get and fly than F-7s!!!

I couldn't have expected such an emotional, albeit absent deep insight, response from you.

As @Bratva so rightly states, in post 121, these may not be effective against IAF and since IAF is the only real reason we even have a military and Air Force, it is kind of short sighted to continue procurement of these jets especially since we are unable to upgrade them beyond understanding of IAF and also because we cannot count on the US to continue with supplies of spares in the event we actually need them in a war.
There's nothing emotional about my post dear, every air force has it's own doctrine and tactics, it's not neccesary we will utilise our F-16s in the same manner as say Singapore does. We may have an air force only because of India but ironically we haven't had a requirement to use it against them for almost 50 years however, the need for having an air arm certainly cropped up on the other border. I have a little inside knowledge in the capabilities of the PAF, one of the more reasons why even a a small number of eight can cause such a panic across the border and i'm not being emotional.

Last edited:
Sir one Question only 350 birds ! Are they enough for 800+ IAF advance Birds ? and don't you think its the right time to have a 4.5++ Bird ? , we are already 10 to 15 years late for that.
And I totally agree with you these F16s are best if we want to add some good power without extra this and that. But is it safe and good enough to have 250 JF17 (even now it have many short comings) , and lots of fellow members here talk about many upgrades in JF17 , if we do that the price of the bird will go up , when the price go up we will lose the dream of a cheap and affordable Bird (although I am against this logic from day one) so when the price is going up Y not we look for some other Bird with TOT or we have completely new bird of our own or we can change the airframe designee of JF17 to make it new Bird???????
Thank you
If you reread your post it answers itself. As mentioned poverty is a situation we have suffered through for a long time. These decisions to buy this or that platform are like moves on a chessboard.
The comparison with our neighbour is a zero sum game and we will lose out in any scenario on account of respective sizes, economies,and more importantly the changing dynamics of world politics in the region as well as in relation to new world order.
You cannot take things in isolation and need to look at things in perspective with regards to the 3 factors I have mentioned in my recent posts( ie availability,our pockets and whether they are subject to sanctions) on the subject. The reason we will never win the arms race with India is that there will always be other comparable platforms that they can buy whereas your choices are limited. The world does not love India but loves its economic boom and the market it provides which is massive compared to ours.
So in this game you survive by having as much of an independent and indigenous industry as you can possibly have and keep our self relevant till you achieve the end. The end in sight is probably 2035 when we start making significant inroads into the aviation industry. Till then it is a case of survival with whatever means we have to hand and secondhand 16s and JFT are one means to that end.
If things are managed properly and efficiently (major bugbear)all the little projects we have started will come together. I dont think the world of 2030 is going to be a polar one and one of isolated efforts. Recent forays will give you an idea of whom we are going to choose as our partners and why. This in short is how I see things evolving.
The debate of the 4.5gen platform is a difficult one from many perspectives. What choices do we have and what actually is the utility of such a platform in our grand designs? As to the former if you trawl through the list of platforms available you can see where the problems are. None of them are sanction free and the ones that are are currently(capital letters and underlined) unavailable. So the question is where do we go and what do we do.
I think PAF takes the line that the current plan will tide things over till 2025. In order to get past 2025 we need to have a suitable platform available to order/induct by 2023 so that we are reasonably comfortable till the next phase in 2035 when the indigenous hybrid platform comes along . Take it further and a picture emerges of what you will buy when and from where.
This is my view of what the PAF plans but like you I am as much in the dark as anyone else. So lets wait and see. Do we see another platform in the interim and what the plan B is, is something PAF is closely watchiñg.
A

I must apologize, I remember we saw that great capability @ Kargil.
That is bereft of facts and is an outright fallacy. The induction of AF would have been an open declaration of war and against the very plans with which Kargil was initiated. That plus the fact that the plan was perhaps very supercficially thought of and half baked with no prior input from PAF did not help matters. As to war in the Indo Pak arena it will have disasterous consequences for the region and perhaps for the world. This rather than your conjectures ars the reason for things not escalating in 2002 either.
A

Last edited:
People often underestimate upgraded F-16s. As far Indian upgrades, obviously they will improve MiGs and Mirage to next level. Will it bring to F-16AM level? Mirage 2000 may be, MiG-29? definitely not. Then there is this lethality of AIM-120C. A proven killer in air to air engagements. There isn't a missile of this category in Indian inventory.

Does Singaporean stationed F-16s tell everything to Indians there is to know about F-16s? No. Very little indeed. Electronic footprints, techniques, munitions and specifics are closely guarded secrets. Singaporeans do not have access themselves so how can they give it to Indians? LM will go out of business if its trade secrets are changing hands so conveniently. So please don't give in to Indian propaganda that they know all about -16s. They don't. What they can have is exercise against these jets or sometimes fly in these jets. They will know how Singaporean air force employs them. How PAF will employ them, might be entirely different and vice versa.

Given the current situation, these Jordanian F-16s are best bang for the buck. Consider that a Squadron of F-7PG is replaced by these jets. 5 years from now, Su-30 make intrusion into Pakistan. Would you prefer F-7s to face them with two short range missiles and limited litre time or these F-16s with six AMRAAMs? Guess what, these -16s may be cheaper to get and fly than F-7s!!!

It is a humble request that you read-up on the Mig-29 Upgrades and then compare the upgraded Mig's with the Upgraded F-16's of ours. Those upgraded Migs are carrying IRST, Helmet mounted displays along with HOBS capable Missiles. Does our F-16 has Fully functional HOBS missile on any of our 16's ? I'm not going towards Mirage-2000 upgrades; It is not a indian propaganda but reality on the ground. Indian side BVR are no less than capable than what we have. Russian have upgraded their BVR's. Hence the reason Indians are employing them with much confidence on Su-30 and Upgraded Mig's both. Do you think if they thought their BVR is any less capable than AIM-120C , they would have kept R-77 as the main BVR for MKI ?

When I gave the example of Singapor F-16's, what I wanted to convey is Indians has stored the electronic profile of F-16's which means their Radar and Electronic jammer signatures. So with their advance Early warning systems will be able to predict where PAF F-16's or do you think PAF F-16 employs some super duper technology that they will be able to hide it from Indian Advance long range early warning systems ? Now it all boils down to tactics deployed when Our F-16 meets the Indian adversaries and it will become the game of BVR. Because if it boils down to WVR, Our F-16 will face some of the hard times due to adversaries HMD and HOBS missile. I encourage you to read the accounts of When American F-16 first time exercised with the HMD capable-Mig-29. Here read this old account while keeping in mind these are very old MIG-29's they are talking about. Not the one which are upgraded now

http://www.16va.be/mig-29_experience.htm

While for your last paragraph. I agree with you wholeheartedly. That economically, this is the only viable choice we got. But please post no.106 of @Sinnerman108. We have to look 15-20 years ahead. These F-16's will become F-7 at that time. And when F-16 faces SU-30 MKI after 15-20 years. You can imagine tech inside SU-30 and F-16 of ours then

Last edited:
Any one comment about SABR package ,Is this required congressional approval as well or can we use other approved vendors of LM to integrate it on our platform ,If V configuration comes as practically Strucutre can withstand till 12,000 Hrs even so bang for buck will be AESA.

There's nothing emotional about my post dear, every air force has it's own doctrine and tactics, it's not neccesary we will utilise our F-16s in the same manner as say Singapore does. We may have an air force only because of India but ironically we haven't had a requirement to use it against them for almost 50 years however, the need for having an air arm certainly cropped up on the other border. I have a little inside knowledge in the capabilities of the PAF, one of the more reasons why even a a small number of eight can cause such a panic across the border and i'm not being emotional.

Still, I wonder how the PAF and Military higher ups can sleep well at night when IAF has 270 MKI's which alone can overwhelm our AF and dominate our skies. The same MKI's, mind you, are set to be upgraded to Super MKI's pretty darned soon. If we had 150+ F-16's Block 52+ to Block 60 then I would have been pretty satisfied but we do not have that luxury and hence I consider it an extreme waste of resources to continue investing in an obsolete platform.

I say the above because I see a critical need to super upgrade our JF's. The current batch are vastly inferior to even the Tejas which will soon be flying in the dozens within a few years. So instead of continuing on the path of F-16's we should focus entirely on JF's and J-31's. Invest a couple of Billion on JF's and another 2-3 on J-31's. By the time IAF gets to anything around 40 Squadrons, we must have atleast 25, but those 25 squadrons will have to be vastly superior to anything IAF fields............which ofcourse is another impossible dilemma as IAF has access to all the technology in the world and they have the resources to procure them!

Still, I wonder how the PAF and Military higher ups can sleep well at night when IAF has 270 MKI's which alone can overwhelm our AF and dominate our skies. The same MKI's, mind you, are set to be upgraded to Super MKI's pretty darned soon. If we had 150+ F-16's Block 52+ to Block 60 then I would have been pretty satisfied but we do not have that luxury and hence I consider it an extreme waste of resources to continue investing in an obsolete platform.

I say the above because I see a critical need to super upgrade our JF's. The current batch are vastly inferior to even the Tejas which will soon be flying in the dozens within a few years. So instead of continuing on the path of F-16's we should focus entirely on JF's and J-31's. Invest a couple of Billion on JF's and another 2-3 on J-31's. By the time IAF gets to anything around 40 Squadrons, we must have atleast 25, but those 25 squadrons will have to be vastly superior to anything IAF fields............which ofcourse is another impossible dilemma as IAF has access to all the technology in the world and they have the resources to procure them!
Yup,

all we need are to plant a few of these behind AHQ
money_tree.jpg

Yup,

Or..........use the thing inside our skulls and invest the little money that we have very very wisely and with logic instead of with nostalgia or attachment.

Or..........use the thing inside our skulls and invest the little money that we have very very wisely and with logic instead of with nostalgia or attachment.
Like what? and where. Could you prepare a feasibility where $250 million could go to offer an equivalent amount of capability within that timeframe?

15 more coming to get through MLU.
I think its better to restrict our scope of our argument on realistic expectations and present capabilities. The grim reality is, Our F-16 wont be upgraded further from present configuration. The grim reality is with the backing of Israel,france,sweden and america, The current capabilities of both mirage and mig matches more or less 95 percent of our F-16 fleet except block52 surpasses them in some areas not in all areas. But with the future upgrades and advancement of technologies in Israeli and french , russian tech, Mig-29 and Mirage has 100 percent more chance to get AESA radar and AESA jammers thus surpassing 100 percent of F-16 fleet capabilities.

The grim reality is, India has fairly very good idea of F-16 block 52 electronic and radar capabilities thanks to more advanced singaporian block-52 being stationed inside India. So they have complete profile of F-16 and Our side of block-52 wont give them any unexpected surprises
Grimmest comment
Sir....:undecided:

Yup,

money_tree.jpg

Does this imply that due to lack of funds we wont be able to deny air superiority(or even take the fight to their territory)?

Does this imply that due to lack of funds we wont be able to deny air superiority(or even take the fight to their territory)?
We will be able to deny air superiority in a short conflict and be able to take the fight there due to asymmetric capabilities we have.

But anything longer than a week and the PAF will crumble.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom