What's new

10 killed as Tugboat capsizes in yard in Turkey

xenon54 out

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
n_60015_4.jpg

Ten people were killed today when a tugboat capsized at a military shipbuilding yard in the Karşıyaka district of the Aegean province of İzmir.

Soldiers and civilian workers were among those who were killed in the accident, the reports said.

Six soldiers reportedly rescued themselves by jumping into the sea, while diving teams are still searching for the missing crew.

Seven soldiers who were slightly injured in the incident were reportedly taken to nearby hospitals.

The Naval tugboat TGC Değirmendere was being lowered into the sea following maintenance at the Alabey Military Shipbuilding Yard when it suddenly listed to one side, taking on water.

LOCAL - 10 killed as Tugboat capsizes in yard in Turkey

RIP to the brave soldiers and civilists.

@Neptune im sure this will interest you.

In deed it does my brother. We have 7 wounded, 8 fallen sailors with one being a petty officer :(.

Fair winds and following seas. What you've left behind shall be our honor.

@Neptune im sure this will interest you.

It does all of us mate, we all live under this dome and those young spirits who passed away are belong all of us. RIP to the patriot citizens.

Yeah, we hear regularly about fatal accidents in civil ship yards.
I think that one is military. By the way I saw this comment while surfing;

Ben o geminin ilk personelindenim. *****'ün dediği gibi gemi havuza alınırken ve indirilirken herkesin manevra yeri vardır. Yani askerler gemide bırakılıp subay astsubay gemiyi terketmez. Bahse konu tersanede bu işlem binlerce kez yapılmıştır. Bir araştırın bakalım başka kaza hiç olmuş mu?

but still.. it doesnt mean there must be a first one..

R I P my young, patriotic and brave brothers from Turkey

"Shaheed ki jo maut hai wo qaum ki hayat hai" (Hafeez Jalandhari)
"The death of a martyr is the life of the Nation"

I have heard details of accident , how its emerged, whose mistake was that ; moreover could able to talk one guy (engineer) who has seen accident and took place in rescues ;

Ship was in dock ,overhaul and maintenance , fully emptied tanks and ballast water therefore, having loss in stability and restore force's arm ( GZ) which is distance between buoancy force and weight, afterwards responsible people realized an inclination on ship due to leak in one of tanks ( this is alleged , also shift of object which is not fixed mentioned to cause inclination) , afterwards that " responsible " person quickly decided on loading more weight on counter side on the deck , a move which brought center of mass upward and resulting in negative restore force (GZ), which means a capsize.

Its a bid sad to hear, it wasnt the responsible person who gave this decision, but it was a civil engineer and other responsible lower ranks (possibly) subjected to trials.

RIP for all fallen soldiers, this accident wasnt so different than what we see in SOMA disaster or civilian shipyard accidents. Again those respnsibles wouldnt be sentenced.

Back
Top Bottom