What's new

World's first atomic bomb built by Chinese-American

Cardsharp - good response. But I am simply not on board with the notion that a person who was nothing more than a graduate student until 1940, who studied under physics giant Ernest Lawrence, was anything more than a minor contributor, like Bohr.

The U.S. probably had dozens of vastly experienced professors in this field at the time.

Again, I'm not down-playing her role. But I refuse also to up-play it, and will challenge those who (for whatever reason) have decided "she invented the bomb."

Again, I'm not down-playing her role. But I refuse also to up-play it, and will challenge those who (for whatever reason) have decided "she invented the bomb."

I'm not claiming that. The Manhattan project was the start of "big science", and really the collective effort of a scientific team versus that of the genius individual. I'm sure if you ask Robert Oppenheimer the person most associated with the project that put together the bomb, he'd still deny he was the "inventor". (if he was alive of course)

But I am simply not on board with the notion that a person who was nothing more than a graduate student until 1940, who studied under physics giant Ernest Lawrence, was anything more than a minor contributor, like Bohr.

She was 32 and was a faculty member at Princeton and Columbia.

The new Yuan family moved to the East Coast of the U.S., where Chien-Shiung Wu became a faculty member at, first, Smith College, then Princeton University in New Jersey for 1942-44, and finally at Columbia University in New York City, beginning in 1944 and continuing for many years after the war, all the way through 1980.

Let me see if I have this correct... 800 million Chinese in 1940 (or whatever it was) and we get the ONE Chinese person who can make an atomic bomb from scratch. What luck! And the other 20,000 people in the project were simply lab flunkies who executed her brilliant scheme. :cheesy:
Your first sentence makes no sense at all as an argument. Your last sentence is true.

There's a reason why American does not present any single person as the main inventor of the atomic bomb. The reason is because if they did they would have to credit Mme Wu. So instead, they pretend it's a "team effort."

Your first sentence makes no sense at all as an argument. Your last sentence is true.

There's a reason why American does not present any single person as the main inventor of the atomic bomb. The reason is because if they did they would have to credit Mme Wu. So instead, they pretend it's a "team effort."

Face palm....

Face palm....
You are still not able to think outside your usual frame of reference. The existence of an Asian face in something as high profile as Manhattan Project is a massive psychological blow to white Americans. You can see this in the suspicious way some forum members try to downplay her role.

The only way she could possibly stick around the Manhattan Project is if she was totally indispensable. For everybody else it could be a mix of merit, background or luck. But for some woman from China of all places to be in the Manhattan Project, that is 100% merit. She is at least twice as talented as anybody else on the team.

No doubt about it, Mme Wu is the inventor of the atomic bomb. Her ideas were just being repackaged by her white superiors and sold to the higher ups as a normal white man's product or else they would be very skeptical about her ideas.

Pictures of Chien-Shiung Wu:

Wu_Chien-Shiung.gif

chien-shiung-wu_3.8.jpg

tumblr_lhh4b5Yb0D1qcp1zx.gif

mossbauer_rudolf_d4-small.jpg

MODayhoff_whhse2.jpg

chien-shiung-wu.jpg

H423205-Chien-Shiung_Wu-SPL.jpg

You are still not able to think outside your usual frame of reference. The existence of an Asian face in something as high profile as Manhattan Project is a massive psychological blow to white Americans. You can see this in the suspicious way some forum members try to downplay her role.

The only way she could possibly stick around the Manhattan Project is if she was totally indispensable. For everybody else it could be a mix of merit, background or luck. But for some woman from China of all places to be in the Manhattan Project, that is 100% merit. She is at least twice as talented as anybody else on the team.

No doubt about it, Mme Wu is the inventor of the atomic bomb. Her ideas were just being repackaged by her white superiors and sold to the higher ups as a normal white man's product or else they would be very skeptical about her ideas.

So when you see this guy's face on TV, you're thinking "take that whitey!"?

225px-Steven_Chu_official_DOE_portrait.jpg

So when you see this guy's face on TV, you're thinking "take that whitey!"?

225px-Steven_Chu_official_DOE_portrait.jpg
If you're talking about political figures, an ethnic Chinese could be a token. I don't think Chu was ever elected to office IIRC. He was appointed.

I do think highly of Gary Locke. Somehow he got elected by white people several times. He must be twice as talented as other candidates to do that as an ethnic Chinese.

I also think highly of Bruce Lee. Hollywood was never kind to Chinese men but Bruce Lee made it because there is simply nobody like him.

The existence of an Asian face in something as high profile as Manhattan Project is a massive psychological blow to white Americans.

You are revealing yourself as a complete racist. You are guilty of the psychological fault of projecting your own racist world view onto others. You should seek some counseling before you get worse.

II do think highly of Gary Locke. Somehow he got elected by white people several times. He must be twice as talented as other candidates to do that as an ethnic Chinese.

No, he's not. It is just that you are the racist. All humans are somewhat racist. But Americans, as a nation of many ethnic backgrounds, are the least racist society on earth. China doesn't even come close to America's racial tolerance.

They might have got the power. But power swifts all the time.

Soon it will be the Chinese turn, i am honoured to live in a day and age where the West is losing their power to the East.

No doubt about it, Mme Wu is the inventor of the atomic bomb.

@Hongwu,

Do you consider that China is now even with Japan, as a Chinese origin person invented the bomb which caused the horror of Nagasaki and Hiroshima?

You also don't seem to have much experience with high level scientists. As a group, scientists are among the least racist of peoples. Scientists love international collaboration and a contest of ideas. You have been truly sickened by your own racist brooding. I feel sorry for you.

Back
Top Bottom