What's new

Abdus Salam - Noble prize winner / Greatest Pakistani scientist and his great contributions to the motherland

He was not given the job of even Assistant Professor in a government college. He had to leave the country to do all his great work that Pakistan now loves to claim.
i think there is some lab or department dedicated to him in some university in Pakistan

Definitely one of the greatest contributions done for the country by Abdus Salam. Only a super patriot and die hard Pakistani can do all those contributions for his country.

However, I would not like to move this thread to towards the religion/beliefs. As, I said whatever his believes were - he or anyone will answer themselves. For me, he is trillion times better then any of us / any average Pakistani. His resume speaks for himself.

BTW- he was never prosecuted, however, he did left the country in protest of the law but he remained in contact with his scientific community and helped them whenever they needed. He was also remembered and praised by scientific community of Pak as well as brilliants in academia and other fields.
i think prof Hoodbhoy is his student , he talks a lot about prof Salam .

Its a dilemma that our society start getting into other people's beliefs. We are an extremist nation. Post 1970s to 1989 was the period that turned a vibrant nation into an extremist cult. No idea when reversal will happen.

However, what you said is not correct. He left his job voluntarily in protest. Many asked him to return but he demanded to take back the newly introduced law and he will come back . that didn't happened.
how it was possible to work for him in Pakistan when there was a law against his faith ?

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor- read up on Dyson for example. You can have ideas a mile wide and an inch deep- typically this is not sufficient for Nobel.

For your info, if you read the article I posted, you will get the gist of the point. Salam getting the Nobel had a few people raising eyebrows. Even the co winner of the Nobel with him, Glashow, thought that he didn’t actually do anything original to win the prize. Beyond him, quite a few others.

He was a great physicist. But whether he was Nobel prize deserving is another question. Ultimately, what the committee awarded him the prize for raised eyebrows.
I read the article. That is cheap polemic. Specially introducing his faith as a parameter. But this is not the first time Monday morning quarterbacking is done on Nobel Prizes. In fact, it is de rigueur for literature and peace prizes.

To pretend Nobel prize is not politicized is highly naive. Politics is always at the center of some of it's decision. Salam may very well have benefited from this flaw. When VS Naipaul, a bonafide bigot can win a Nobel Prize and the droner in chief can win a Nobel peace prize, anything is possible.

Pakistanis drive out competent folks out of their nation, and then complain about being persecuted by their army generals and politicians.
Mainstream leaders are persecuted and driven into exile too. Very weird.
' ... 30-odd political leaders who spent varying amounts of time in exile outside Pakistan to save their life. The first political leader who was forced to live in exile was Choudhary Rehmat Ali a law student at the University of Cambridge who coined the acronym “Pakistan”'.

Btw for those that are going to be triggered by what I am saying, please read the following very objective and unbiased article- arguing the opposite case while talking about this objectively.

So absolutely none.

I read the article. That is cheap polemic. Specially introducing his faith as a parameter. But this is not the first time Monday morning quarterbacking is done on Nobel Prizes. In fact, it is de rigueur for literature and peace prizes.
It is what others have said/insinuated. Including the co-winner. The Nobel committee also loves a good story. A persecuted minority from Pakistan, all that.

Anyways I agree, leaves a bad taste.

Can anyone from Pakistan identify these men?

I can.

Oh the irony, Salam belonged to a cult himself, one that had declared all the rest of the Muslims who did not belong to their cult as kafirs and long before the state of Pakistan returned the favor....

One one hand is a State that grants itself the right to to impose its chosen religion upon its population with persecution and institutionalized discrimination, and on the other hand are the personal beliefs of a person who belongs to a minority sect. There is no irony here, only sheer hypocrisy.

And interestingly, see the disgrace that accrues to the former, and honors to the latter. Only fools choose to ignore that important lesson here and persist on their path to self-destruction.

i think there is some lab or department dedicated to him in some university in Pakistan

Of course Pakistan would love to lay claim to his success achieved elsewhere.

Last edited:
It disgusts me to even think on the idea that ... " oh Salam was given Nobel Prize, because he was Ahmadi. " LOL! I mean, always in an inferiority complex and thinking that everything is because of some "sazish" against great holy country. Really how your mind works ?

The Nobel prize winning does not work like that. Its highly credible and the whole world recognize it as the top body that works with merit and appreciates truly only the ones who have impacted at a global level in their respective fields.

IF, Nobel prize is such a politically controlled then why there are countless Jew & Christian scientists with amazing discoveries but still they never received Nobel Prizes ? Only the deserving ones gets. The Jewish community is super strong and super influential. On the other hand, the ahmadis are weak, they are being targeted and murdered to this day. They are nowhere near influential to politicize the nobel committee.. This is such a disgusting idea to even think on.

BTW, just look at his contributions. How progressive and advance Pakistan was in his tenure OR in areas where he tirelessly worked. OK, for the moment if you really are hell bent in hatred & bias to discredit his Nobel prize then just look at his immense contributions to Pakistan. At least have enough courage to admit those.

Thank you

@Ssan @SaadH

Interestingly, despite the typical revisionist denials of Pakistan's historical record, even you cannot refute that fats that his greatness was made possible only by his escape from the country, which makes all this new found ownership of his greatness so evidently self-serving that is almost painful to endure. Motherland? Not quite.

(I suppose the irony of saying that you have no idea when the extremist cultism that you mention above will change and yet demonstrating the same denialist revisionism to whitewash facts to prove why it will never change will be lost on you totally.)

You are reading it all wrong. You are mixing two different things. First, I understand your frustration about Pakistan's record of treatment for minorities. I agree 100% to it and the fact that we have become extremist nation. Even No other islamic country employs kind of laws like we do. We agree on that part.

But, you are undermining Salam's love with his country. Read his biographies. He was a true patriot. His contributions for country and tireless efforts to create a vibrant scientific communities and organizations were only achievable when one does love his nation. So do not undermine it.

Secondly and more importantly, I never have any urge to claim his works as Pakistan's or anyway want to take credit on Pakistan. You are TOTALLY WRONG on it. His achievements were his, His Nobel Prize and various others are because of his works only. He would have been successful anywhere on earth. My sole intentions were to highlight his works, and to eliminate complete BS and hilarious and senseless propaganda that many in society do because of their usual hate / bias against minorities. Saying the crap like.. oh he was given Nobel because of he was Ahamadi and similar senseless / unbearable fantasies. My intention was only to show his works, regardless of his beliefs or backgrounds.

But, you are undermining Salam's love with his country. Read his biographies. He was a true patriot. His contributions for country and tireless efforts to create a vibrant scientific communities and organizations were only achievable when one does love his nation. So do not undermine it.

LOL. I respect the man and his achievements, but what I find nearly comical in its disgrace is the Pakistani rush to claim the success of any Pakistani that does well abroad as their own, from Dr. Salam to the $30 million donor for Turkey, and all the hypocrisy it displays for the world to see

(Dr. Salam's quote to his nephew was "meray jootian dey taley ghis gae Punjab Secretariat dey chakar laa laa key, but koi gal nai banee", something like "I wore out the soles of my shoes visiting the Punjab Secretariat and got nowhere." )

What he did for his country was despite what it did to him and not because of it.

The first man was born in Lahore. The second was born near Multan.

Disqualified due to lack of circumcision. Sorry.

It disgusts me to even think on the idea that ... " oh Salam was given Nobel Prize, because he was Ahmadi. " LOL! I mean, always in an inferiority complex and thinking that everything is because of some "sazish" against great holy country. Really how your mind works ?

The Nobel prize winning does not work like that. Its highly credible and the whole world recognize it as the top body that works with merit and appreciates truly only the ones who have impacted at a global level in their respective fields.

IF, Nobel prize is such a politically controlled then why there are countless Jew & Christian scientists with amazing discoveries but still they never received Nobel Prizes ? Only the deserving ones gets. The Jewish community is super strong and super influential. On the other hand, the ahmadis are weak, they are being targeted and murdered to this day. They are nowhere near influential to politicize the nobel committee.. This is such a disgusting idea to even think on.

BTW, just look at his contributions. How progressive and advance Pakistan was in his tenure OR in areas where he tirelessly worked. OK, for the moment if you really are hell bent in hatred & bias to discredit his Nobel prize then just look at his immense contributions to Pakistan. At least have enough courage to admit those.

Thank you

@Ssan @SaadH
Before you accuse me of bigotry, I ask you to consider the following. The Nobel prize that you have elevated so significantly was awarded to more than one person that year.

In your mind, I might be a salty kid that hates Ahmadis but does that make sense to say about the other prize winner who shared the award with him who literally said the same thing as I am saying? Either the Nobel is not as sublime of a measure as you think, or maybe you don’t know the full details.

If anything, I have tried to only point people to read what others have wrote. Precisely to avoid these accusations you make of hating on people for religious reasons. That has nothing to do with it.

Salam himself brought his faith and his treatment of his faith into the politics behind him getting the Nobel. His acceptance speech was precisely that- “the faith of all physicists” portion. So has been the media coverage around him after that.

Before you accuse me of bigotry, I ask you to consider the following. The Nobel prize that you have elevated so significantly was awarded to more than one person that year.

In your mind, I might be a salty kid that hates Ahmadis but does that make sense to say about the other prize winner who shared the award with him who literally said the same thing as I am saying? Either the Nobel is not as sublime of a measure as you think, or maybe you don’t know the full details.

If anything, I have tried to only point people to read what others have wrote. Precisely to avoid these accusations you make of hating on people for religious reasons. That has nothing to do with it.

Salam himself brought his faith and his treatment of his faith into the politics behind him getting the Nobel. His acceptance speech was precisely that- “the faith of all physicists” portion. So has been the media coverage around him after that.

Well, him bringing faith into his speech does not mean that it influenced the Nobel Prize committee in anyway.

In my view, Nobel Prize committee have to by all means look for merit otherwise such a prestigious award will become a joke. Well, see around it has not become a joke and world really acknowledges and appreciates the ones who have received it. Its kind of an established benchmark. There has to be substantial work involved on part of high achievers.

I strongly believe, him getting Noble prize has nothing to do with him being Ahmadi. He would have received it, had he be a jew or a christian or shia or a sunni.

Decades ago, the oldtimers who worked with him always spoke highly of him. Even if you insist to make his Nobel prize controversial, his countless other contributions in promoting scientific research, civil nuclear technology in Pakistan, space organization are more then enough to credit him.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom