What's new

‘Will build our own fighter jets’: PM Hasina

I agree with you mostly. However would also say unless you vocalise a vision nothing will happen.

Credit where its due she said BN would be three dimensional force...it is... i criticise some aspect but she has made it a reality...

Padma Bridge.... her will alone....

On the other side....BD is a one party state...her will alone...

On balance do not like BAL but she is an effective leader. If she paves way to effective next generation of leaders peacefully she will cement her position as the most effective leader the nation has ever produced.
Vocalize a vision without a single page of basic experience makes the country look stupid in the eyes of people of other countries. There are million other industrial products that a PM should focus on.

But, Hasina Bibi focuses on the local news value. She has already forgotten what she said this time like her hundreds of so-called visionary news throughout the year.

Why you guys should defend her stupidity? Do you think it is called patriotism? Honesty and a sincere approach are patriotism, shallow hand clapping is not.

I know this is probably overkill, but Bangladesh would look good with a squadron of F 35’s

But of course I wish Bangladesh well if it makes its own plane.

I would start with couple of squadrons of F-16 Block 60. If Bangladesh is really cost sensitive get couple of squadrons of second hand F-16 A/B fighters

Certainly not an option in the near future but my hunch is Lockheed Martin will eventually force their paid lackeys at Pentagon and Capitol to allow export of the F-35 to countries beyond closed US allies in order to keep unit costs down. F-35s are likely to last and evolve till the end of the century. Bangladesh might become much stronger economically and geopolitically in 20 years time. Who knows what US-BD relations will be like then.
Bottom line is you might see Bangladesh among other seemingly unlikely operators of F-35s in the coming decades. Bangladesh is yet to sort 4th gen. 5th gen is at least 15 years away and therefore anyone's guess.

F-35 is not going anywhere. It supports 146K jobs in the US.
It is bound to get exported to more and more countries.

The question is;
Does Bangladesh have the expertise and infra-structure to build an aircraft?
She is not talking about building fighter jet within a year or two. She told her audience to acquire knowledge and expertise to be ready to build fighter jet in the future. There is no such expertise present in Bangladesh right now. An Aeronautical complex with repair and production facilities is now being build in northern part of the country. An Aviation & Aerospace university also being build there whose temporaty campas opened in Dhaka two years ago. So, it is very much in initial phase.

This is an excuse from Hasina to buy new fighter jet. It seems she read my previous post here suggesting Bangladesh rather use their money to build its own aerospace industry rather than using it to buy new and capable fighter.

This mean you are not going to see new fighter jet at least for another 5 years and she instead want to use the money for building aerospace industry, and since Bangladesh follows Pakistan steps by making both Aerospace University and possible Aerospace company under Air Force, so the money will be taken from Air Force budget.
You may well be right. Unlike many of us here who overthink and feel urgency to fill the gap in our defence forces immediately, Govt. and the armed force feel no such pressure. After all they are maintaining a very amicable relationship with India. On the otherhand, Myanmar is now under severe global pressure and unlikely to increase it's trouble by making any aggresive move against Bangladesh. Their objective regarding Bangladesh already achieved by expelling Rohingyas. So, there is no immediate threat to our sovereignty right now or in near future. So, govt. and Armed Forces are taking a long term approach.

It seems they are in no hurry to buy fighter jet which is very expensive and comes with a lot of geo-political baggage. I don't believe they are going to buy many squadrons of fighter jet in future. Maximum they will buy one or two squadron from the foreign sorces in the next 10-15 years and mostly concentrate to develop an indigenous fighter jet. Now a days, PM mostly talk about indigenous production, be it fighter jet, warship or army equipment. It is clear from her speeches that she abhor spending lots of money to buy foreign weapons and be dependent on others.

Now a days, PM mostly talk about indigenous production, be it fighter jet, warship or army equipment. It is clear from her speeches that she abhor spending lots of money to buy foreign weapons and be dependent on others.
Nations as small as Sweden have a completely independent weapons development program. That too a very successful one.
India on the other hand has been a major importer in spite of its huge requirement. This happened due to poor vision of Indian Leaders. They didn’t have enough courage of conviction to take a stand and insist for indigenous development.

Right move would be make a start. First few steps are always baby steps. Huge strides happen only after mix of some successes and some failures. Developing own stuff is the key here.

I see a lot of observers declaring the BD PM as a Indian stooge because she is not creating a conflict situation with India. First create a conflict and then spend all the money on weapons. Is that required?

First create a conflict and then spend all the money on weapons. Is that required?
You must not seek for battle , but you always have to be prepared for it.

I consider Myanmar as the immediate threat for Bangladesh, but this immediate threat is very much manageable by China.

In the long run our main enemy will be your country India ( no further argument, as you won't agree since you are Indian) , so in order to counter India we need huge arsenal and it's not wise to buy from other countries , as India has bigger pocket.

If ever a full fledge war launched between Bangladesh and India and if suppliers stop supplying aid for aircraft , then we will be fuked up . The war result will be decisive Indian victory same like Russian victory against Ukraine,results was Ukraine lost Crimea and their western allies are sucking goat d.ick after giving offensive statement against Russia.

So yes we need our own fighter jet ; maybe it will take long time ,but still we need it. Bangladesh is older than it's modern generation and will last a lot longer than this generation.

So yes in order to survive and elevate our status , we need to produce our military equipment.

But yes in order to maintain status we need one or two squadron of combat air craft , so we will get it I hope. But I am sure that Bangladesh will get them before it's too late.

But for the future ( for India ) Bangladesh has big plan and production of our own combat aircraft is a part of the plan.

Bangladesh bought lots of trainer to train pilots . So they aren't going to destroy their investment. It's not like building a castle in the air.

Military knows much more than civilian armchair generals about war strategy.

Last edited:
Military knows much more than civilian armchair generals about war strategy.
I accept you point.
That’s why military experts have not accepted the armchair generals and maintained a force level actually required.
If these armchair experts had a say then a conflict with India would have started long time back.
Sanity prevails.

I accept you point.
That’s why military experts have not accepted the armchair generals and maintained a force level actually required.
If these armchair experts had a say then a conflict with India would have started long time back.
Sanity prevails.
Exactly. And no one knows exactly what's going to happen in the future, so everyone will be preparing accordingly.

Last edited:
Salaam

Where does it say so? Being in Bahrain and keeping your head in the sand really got to your brain.

Your so called "Ummah" has done more harm to Pakistan in the last 50 years than HINDUstan could ever do...

The United States did not become a super power by worrying about anglophone nations... infact they fought the british and kicked their ***...

The Soviets did not become a super power by worrying about the Europeans... infact they fought them and kicked their ***...

The Chinese did not become a super power by preaching sinophone culture... infact they fought the japanese/south koreans and kicked their ***...

Super power worry about themselves and their people first.

Keep your Ummah to yourself and ill keep my Pakistan to myself. People like you are worse enemies than the Indians could ever be.

The Marshall plan was certainly a clear sign that the US understood the importance of forming a block. They weren't arrogant enough to think that they can get ahead alone, they knew the challenges of post WWII could only be effectively met with cooperation with western Europe.

If the matter had been such as you claim, you wouldn't have gotten NATO and the Warsaw Pact. Had it been the case you claim, the US would've moved towards fully crippling the already bankrupt Europe to assert complete dominance. It wasn't so because they understood the importance of allies with common values in the long term.

With regards to the Chinese, you are seeing the rise of China and even though it has an absolutely massive internal market, it is still seeking allies and friends. We just haven't seen the maturing of their plans which have started to become more overt lately.

The US got to choose allies from wherever as there weren't any competitors blocks at the time. All enemies had been defeated. The Chinese are moving into the territory of the US who has allies everywhere. It will take time for things to settle in the way you are suggesting as the competitiveness of the Chinese improves further.

In any case, do you really think that Pakistan can become strong enough to independently challenge/stand on its own against the larger blocks? Pakistan is a major player in the Muslim world, where the idea of the 'ummah' is well understood by the masses.

Look at turkey, they did all they could to become European, but they weren't accepted simply because they were different enough.

The US has roughly a 20 trillion dollar economy as do the Chinese and the Europeans. You can't compete with them independently with these even if we got our GDP per capita as high as the US.

Speaking of the Europeans, they have the economic size and technological base to become an independent player, and you see the Germans and French pushing for that. You saw the British think whatever our nationalists think - and you can see the aftermath of Brexit. The British are a lot more developed and richer than us yet they are struggling. Yet the French and Germans who were fighting for centuries have become allies.

The Muslim ummah has certainly not hurt us any more than the Europeans have hurt each other and yet here we are.

There is strength in numbers. The Muslim world is not a mature power but that doesn't mean it has no prospects. The population, territory and resource size are sufficient to become an independent player. It requires time and effort, just as the Europeans did. The US marshal plan wasn't just for allied European countries, but also the Germans and axis.

We have a lot less to forgive than they, and much to gain.

Last edited:
Maximum they will buy one or two squadron from the foreign sorces in the next 10-15 years and mostly concentrate to develop an indigenous fighter jet
As our forces goal 2030 , we still have 10 full years left.

So yes by this time 2 squadron of foreign aircraft and by this time we can start developing our own. 10 years is a long time and in 10 - 15 years it's very much possible to start developing our own combat aircraft.

If by 2041 Bangladesh can be as developed as Malaysia ( economically ) , Turkey and as Pakistan ( as a producer of military equipment) ,I consider it as great achievement.

The problem some of of our common people is ,they don't want to think beyond garments industry ( it's insecurity I guess) , and the other type (like @bluesky) , want Bangladesh as industrially developing country ,but require making needle first ,and consider concentrating on other stuffs as taboo!

We are making small arms and using it , so we have a good opportunity to not only develop combat aircraft ( by 2041) ,but also can sale them to some African countries.

Pakistan sold aircraft to Myanmar , and they indeed didn't achieve their own aircraft overnight.

So what's the point of trolling ( by some people) if PM has a Vision? Indeed we can develop our own combat jet by 2041 I hope.

Last edited:
and the other type ( like @bluesky) , want Bangladesh as industrially developing ,but require making needle first ,and consider concentrating on other stuffs as taboo!
He want Bangladesh to go through coal powered heavy industrial development like Japan did in 19th Century. Using renewable energy or even oil, gas would be putting curt before Horse in his view! Very much Communist like thinking. Talking about IT or 4th industrial development is a pure blasphemy! He want us to rediscover the wheel and needle again ! Unable to accept that, world has moved since then.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom