What's new

Why is Pakistan so dirty?

Try worlds dirtiest cities .. Many indian cities are on that list .. Apart from Delhi being the most polluted city in the world ..

On topic .. I agree impose heavy fines,educate people ...

Delhi is still not clean.But efforts are there for clean city after PM Swach Bharat campaign.An Indian member also mentioned that in here.
You can seesome better cities in SI.

You should visit parts of Islamabad, Bahria Town, Defense Housing enclaves. They are indeed very clean of European standards :D

Exactly. I want to say that only. All of countries like that of ours should propogate cleanliness and make it a public movement like Modi did so that whole country can be made clean. Surat happanned to be a very dirty city but today it is among the most clean city because one commissioner named Mr. Rao ran a drive to cleanl the city. City become clean and now it is becoming beautiful too. Somebody need to take a leadership.

But Pakistanis redicules India for open defection as if Pakistan is a very neat and clean country. I see cleanliness wave hitting India. I just visited my town (it has just becam e a district). I was amzed to see the development. It was a town with accute water scarcity. Now Narmada water has come and Lake is completly filled with Narmada water. Whole town has RCC roads. BJP municipality does an excellent Job by providing various area a totally RCC road. What I want to say is ye man banane ki Baat hai. As modi said if indians decide that we shall not tolrate any dirt or unhygenic environment, no force can make india Dirty. Same applies to Pakistan. Sirf Man banane ki baat hai. Pakistan can be a clean country too.

Get over yourself, it is all relative.

In no way is Pakistan dirtier than India.

I have Indian friends who travel to India and have said it is disgusting. 3 miles away from the airport there are dirt roads and no electricity.

This thread is to discuss Pakistan and how to make it cleaner.

I have Indian friends who travel to India and have said it is disgusting. 3 miles away from the airport there are dirt roads and no electricity.

If it is really so and if you are telling truth, I am very happy.

India is dirty because Indians are clean

The Litter truth: The Indian Litterbug is proud of being filthy; he'll dirty New Delhi but never New York

Like Nature, India abhors a vacuum. Which is a prettier way of saying that India and Nature have had a longstanding joint venture that celebrates filling and trimming spaces with muck and filth that folks in other less rank cultures and countries seem to have such a problem with. It explains why there is no mention of Vedic-era flush toilet technology. It also explains why when three members of the Rolling Stones urinated in public in 1965 making headlines after being fined by the police, Indians wondered what the hullabaloo was all about.

Along with the proliferation of beggars, invasions of privacy and lack of silence, we are inoculated against public dirtiness by being literally inside the garbage dump. Having our streets and roads being extensions of garbage tips and urinals strike us as being as noxious to us as it's scandalous for a lady to be topless at Las Salinas beach in Ibiza.

There's been an explanation passed down generations to explain why we're so filthy: India is so dirty because Indians are so clean. For outsiders, that sounds zen-Upanishadic. But what it's supposed to mean is that our homes are moderately neat — if we don't live in a chawl or a home that resembles a chawl with tubelights, that is - and the world outside can go to the dogs. This explanation is usually accompanied by a description of how other cultures are totally apathetic towards personal hygiene — 'How do you think the Arabs and the French invented the perfume?' 'Have you seen British teeth?' 'The Swiss actually smell of cheese.' 'I was once trapped in an elevator in America...' Essentially, there's some theory about the worse your personal hygiene the better your public cleanliness.Which makes no sense at all for us who take a dip in the very public-cum-personal Ganga or local tubewell to cleanse our squeaky bits including our souls.

This theory, of course, is wet gunkoozing rubbish. We are a filthy nation because we're quite proud of being filthy. It's a way of declaring we're not namby-pamby and stricken with a fet ish for the antiseptic. We're capable of walking past a hill-sized heap piled with cabbage corpses mixed with detritus with smatterings of used sanitary napkins and dark fluids that look like leftover sewer, without gagging. We aren't coy about throwing out kitchen waste straight out of the windows 'out there'. (A lot of us don't even do the chucking; our cooks and maids 'with little sense of public decorum' doing the needful.) Cleanliness, to us, bears an elitist tag — despite the nice try by yet another Gujarati to tell the country otherwise.Roads and streets in Indian metropolitan cities — you really don't want to talk about the small towns, trust me — are zones that simply connect people from one point to another. These are no flyzipped zones, where if the pavements have rivulets of piss running down the gutter or bear all demonitions of litter, this is, well, India. Why do you think we like travelling abroad? We can walk about in public spaces that aren't as 'colourful, full of aromas and life' (read: visually filthy, smelly and chaotic) without having to be marked out as being un-Indian. It's simply more pleasant to step out in Toronto or Sydney than in Delhi or Mumbai — unless you're a very, very rich ragpicker.

There's only one way we litterati, garbage-chuckers, public peebodies and spit-mongerers can stop what comes so naturally to us in our happy, filthy surroundings: By having our roads and streets become super clean. Even the dirtiest scumbag will find it tough to mess up pavements made of genuine slabs (rather than of glued-on tar and cement chowder), filthify walls with paan and worsen stains that don't grow lab fungi, and trash public loos that don't give us a sneak peak of narak right here in our Maha Bharat.

Because no one wants to throw a wrapper, to spit, to pee or chuck rubbish in an already-sparkling clean place. Not even proudly filthy people like us who gladly litter Kolkata but never Zurich.

India is dirty because Indians are clean - The Times of India

@SrNair @Norwegian @third eye @Jaanbaz @Menace2Society @vsdave2302 @PlanetWarrior

I think the same thing happens to Pakistan also!!

To which city your friend travelled to. I have never seen what you are saying here quoting your friends.

Try worlds dirtiest cities .. Many indian cities are on that list .. Apart from Delhi being the most polluted city in the world ..

On topic .. I agree impose heavy fines,educate people ...

I earlier indicated that the clean up of Delhi was also a great surprise to me. The pollution is still bad. The overall clean up though was shocking. The increase of public toilets and the street sweeping campaign, these all showed the start of a new culture in India. I also indicated earlier that it starts with leadership. If the central government isn't going to adequately fund the municipalities, how are they supposed to roll out the "big brooms"? Heavy fines and education can only work to a certain extent. If people gather their litter and place them in big bags, where must they dispose those bags if there aren't adequate dumping facilities or should the municipalities refuse to collect the garbage?

A good bashing is required for all the south east asian people. Corrupt to the core, not only in terms of monetary corruption but civil corruption as well.. We like living in filth and we have self centered attitudes. We just care about ourselves..This is seen the way we drive, park our cars, buy stuff, no social responsibilities nothing..just blabbering...

A good bashing is required for all the south east asian people. Corrupt to the core, not only in terms of monetary corruption but civil corruption as well.. We like living in filth and we have self centered attitudes. We just care about ourselves..This is seen the way we drive, park our cars, buy stuff, no social responsibilities nothing..just blabbering...

Colombo is much cleaner as far as South Asian cities go.. But yeah rest of the traits you mentioned are true to word.. People are just as selfish as rest of the region

Forgot to mention.. Islamabad can be any western first world capital.. From the standards of cleanliness to well planned city.. It's right up there

It is the fault of both the authorities and the people. Authorities because if you go to the more affluent parts of say Lahore or Karachi you will see clean streets and people putting their garbage in boxes outside their house, which garbage vans come and pick up. You can also find bins at regular intervals (at least thats how it was in DHA in Lahore when I lived there). As a consequence DHA was clean.

However when I went to 'androon shehr' (old city Lahore) to meet my paternal relatives the place was seriously dirty. In the middle of Shalmi you see these big yellow containers full of garbage and dirt. I asked my dad once when I was a teenager and we went there what these containers full of dirt were doing in the middle of this busy road and he replied that a couple of years ago one politcian promised to implement a proper recycling programme in this part of town and placed these big containers on the road, where the people could come and throw their dirt. That was all well and good but nobody then came to pick the containers up and throw the garbage away in a dump. As a consequence in the middle of Shalmi you had these massive containers full of garbage whilst at the same time in DHA the authorities were implementing a proper garbage disposal programme. Same city but totally different situation.

Having said that however if the authorities are absent then it is the responsibility of the civic society to respond to the situation and do something. Take for example the people of the Hunza Valley in Northern Pakistan. Hunza is one of the cleanest places in Pakistan. The Literacy rates there are high (90+ percent) and they launch indigenous projects where there is a lack of government support. An example is the Karakoram Area Development Organization (KADO) who are an "indigenous initiative" aiming to improve the socio-economic conditions of the local communities".(http://www.idrc.ca/EN/Documents/kado-case-study.pdf). Included in their initiative is a garbage disposal programme.

Similalarly if you watch Pakistani Travel Shows such as "Safar hae Shart", in episode 10 the hosts go to Hunza and meet these young boys who volunteer to clean their neighborhoods. They are called scouts and these boys are encouraged by their parents to go out and do something for their community. These boys will pick up garbage that tourists drop and further ask the tourists and any natives to throw garbage in the bins in the future.

Why dont the people from other dirty parts of Pakistan follow such examples? Why dont Lahoris or Karachiites come together and form indigenous initiatives which will improve their own living standards? I would say the main reason is a complete lack of a sense of civic duty. The idea that you belong to a community is something which is taught to children from an early age and should be encouraged by parents. In most parts of Pakistan however parents will non chalantly tell their kids to throw their garbage on the street when the kids ask about what they should do with their empty crisp pack. To simply say that it is the government's fault is no excuse for you to live like animals.

Islam places strict duties on Muslims to be clean. A Hadeeth of the Prophet Mohammad is that "cleanliness is half of your faith" (Muslim) and yet I have seen hafiz e quran's in my own family spitting pan on their left and right, not telling their children off for throwing garbage on the street etc. No wonder a wise man once said

"I went to the West and saw Islam, but no Muslims; I got back to the East and saw Muslims, but no Islam"

Lahore is clean as hell IMO.
A friend who visited there just a couple of weeks back showed me his pictures on his stop at my home.
Damn beautiful.
Islamabad is known for being the cleanest and greenest city in Pakistan. And I guess Faisalabad and other industrial towns of Punjab are somewhat clean.
The problem is Karachi. It's a big bag of dust and garbage. Except for some localities and towns I'd say 60-65% of Karachi is very dirty.

Ffs stop comparing India with Pakistan and don't drag India in here. Because Pakistanis will mock you rightfuly since they are better in every aspect than us.
you-cant-handle-the-truth.jpg

I understand open drains and sanitation infrastructure is not the fault of the people. Its failure of government.

However what I don't understand is why do people allow filth around their house? Why are the streets so dirty? Why do people litter everywhere?

Islam teaches you extreme hygiene standards. You are not a Muslim if you are not clean or keep your surroundings clean.

It is also the basis of being civilized.

If Pakistan is a Muslim country then why don't the people follow these teachings?

Religion doesnt change the nature of people
People of subcontinent are lazy they would rather sit under a tree shade then clean the outside of their house

Back
Top Bottom