What's new

Why is My Hijab Your Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When will you understand that religion has nothing to do with it??

My condolences to your uncles.
Is that all you have to say?
Man, Allah blessed them with tawba, yet, it might not happen again to you or others. Now imagine if they had died on Kufur.

When will you understand that religion has nothing to do with it??.

well then im sorry to tell that Saudi Arabia is an Islamic country tll the core. so your Ideology cant be forced of the society you live in as we speck so try to deal with it. just go on the street and say hey this my ideology and count how many slap will get from the people themselves.

Western law is based on muslim law? I knew Canadian weed was good but....daaamned..

Well he probably mean social welfare system, fair trails and justice system, give punishment to criminals no matter how powerful he is and also freedom of people to practice their religious beliefs in their private life, equal rights to women etc. if you take out the ****/pubs western concept of modesty and gambling out of western socities and nothing else there is unislamic

well then im sorry to tell that Saudi Arabia is an Islamic country tll the core. so your Ideology cant be forced of the society you live in as we speck so try to deal with it. just go on the street and say hey this my ideology and count how many slap will get from the people themselves.

1- What is my "Ideology" please explain?
2- This is exactly what I am talking about, intolerance to anything different from one's self. Oooooh Emmm Geee!!! You are different from me let's all hand him and then dance around his dead body after we set it on fire amd retreat to our primitive caves right after.

Is that all you have to say?
Man, Allah blessed them with tawba, yet, it might not happen again to you or others. Now imagine if they had died on Kufur.

Wait wait wait wait wait.... Now I am a Kafir amd should do Tawbah?? Ummm WHAT?? How did that happen.

2- This is exactly what I am talking about, intolerance to anything different from one's self. Oooooh Emmm Geee!!! You are different from me let's all hand him and then dance around his dead body after we set it on fire amd retreat to our primitive caves right after.

Wait wait wait wait wait.... Now I am a Kafir amd should do Tawbah?? Ummm WHAT?? How did that happen.

"Bad experience" is an under statement. Thank God That he gave me the power to detect BS when I see it from a young age or I would have been another brainwashed sorry a$$ loser sheep swayed left and right but a crack of their fingers.

And yes I know they do not represent Islam. Mentality and mind are two very different concepts, thus Islam and Muslims are two very different things as well. I have nothing against Islam or any other religion. Even if I do happen to adhere to one of the religions of the world's long list of religions that does not give me any sort of superiority of the primitive "I am right, you are wrong" game. Which I believe is a necessary human evolution that is long over due.
Anyway, it's your life and your country.

at this level you need to take some sociology courses. its not about me or him its about Islamic law and social understanding. come'n now Mosa I know you can come up with better than this. your country represents Islam and muslims worldwide not like any other countries.

Anyway, it's your life and your country.

man you cant take yourself out of it. you as Muslim are obligated to stand against any downgrading of our Islamic law and ethic especially when talking about Saudi Arabia. we all agree that there are some issue need to be fixed and we all should work on that neglecting what so called western human rights principles where an outsider laws tend to be forced under such terms.... would you like to see e.g bikinis walking in the kingdom and say oh those are not Muslims we cant force them to follow our law leave aside being muslims or not doesn't really concern but does that also applicable to our value/social norms.. etc . all Im trying to say is that there are Islamic laws they are social norms/value, should people talk about one and leave the other.

And isn't that what you have been doing, calling those who wear Hijab as "oppressed", "backwards", and all of that other leftist mumbo jumbo, for which this lady wrote the article in reply to.

Morons like you only see from one direction, if it doesn't fit your view than it is wrong and the people are "backward", "oppressed", etc. And morons like you deserve to be put in a cave and locked up with the Taliban who are no different from your like, though opposite in ideology.

Looks like her article lit your @$$ up pretty bad :lol:, are you that frustrated that a so called "oppressed Mozlem" woman just refuted all the BS you leftist morons have been spewing for years "boohoo, poor Mozlem women, persecuted by their husbands who are part time Taliban Mullahs, boohoo, only women who show off their assets on TV commercials to gain attention are liberated, boohoo, poor Mozlem women".

Now you took a cheap shot at her IQ since your rear end got that frustrated therefore you could only spurt out a rant because you couldn't come up with a better reply, shows your level of IQ.

Well, keep your frustrated rear ends crying, its really a entertainment i can't witness anywhere else.:enjoy:

Impressive job of reading through my post and not understanding a single word in it. I see you got thanked for it so there must be others like you in here !!!

I'd be much obliged if you could specifically point out to the part of my post where I, repeated for sake of absorption and retention - I, referred to /implied Muslim women as oppressed or backwards for being dressed in a Hijab? And how did you infer that I am a leftist ?

Kindly use only my lines, no silly assumptions like 'all of that other leftist mumbo jumbo' to raise straw man hypotheses that I personally never made. My view is concise and simple; How can the author call on for readers to not judge her wearing a Hijab while passing out moralistic judgements at the same time. Consider this line from my post,

If you get to label people slaves of the corporate capitalistic industry with it's ever so objectifying and shackling men and women wearing revealing clothing as dumb sluts prostituting themselves for a job, we get to call you whatever the hell it is that we want.

These are all the writer's own words and implications(be happy to point it out from the article if you want) and not my constructs. How can one respect the her individual views when she is anything but respectful of others? The inherent irony of her making a case this way either escapes you or you are deliberately trying to compensate for it. And yes, the fact that writer couldn't make this connection is a telling sign of her,as well as your, intelligence.

With regards to the childish taunts, I'm going to turn 25 soon and juvenile attempts to get a rise out of me fail to even bother me these days. I expect you to at least be creative with the insults and whet my appetite to retaliate in kind !!!

But it hasnt been happening, so there is no excuse for complaining about it.

But isn't that what we are debating here? The validity of such laws banning hijabs?

There is no use beating around the bush and trying to defend something which is seen by the whole world as the symbol of female oppression in the modern world. [...] Stereotypes suck, but they are the reality, and you must decide what you need to do.

Lots of stereotypes are promoted by vested interests; that doesn't make them right or deny the need to fight these wrong stereotypes. The proper response to bigotry is not to cave in, but to refute it head on.

In my opinion, the toxic situation happens due to the behaviour of religious lot, becasue they are the ones not only 'not listening', but try to force themselves on the others too, hope you see this.

You are right that religious extremists tend to resort to physical violence, but the other extremists wage their battle through propaganda and subtle marginalization of people of whom they don't approve. When a hijabi woman or bearded man gets rejected for a job because of prevailing stereotypes, it is not a physical assault, but its impact on that person's life is just as severe.

Liberal facists are harmless, all words. Look at ET. While religious facists could burn you alive.

When liberal fascists deny the right of public education to children unless they remove their headscarf first, then that is forcing their ideology onto everyone.

In Pakistan, the liberal fascists are just as double faced as the other side. They decry the hijab as a foreign imposition, but have no complaints against suits and skirts. They throw a tantrum if someone speaks Arabic, but have no problems with people speaking English. True liberalism would suggest that people should be allowed to make their own choices as long as it doesn't harm society at large.

You don't have to turn against the full hijabis, they follow the way of the Prophet SAW's wives, and I respect that concious decision. But the headscarfies are new age immoral hipsters theyre arrogant and shameful

I don't even see it as a religious issue, but purely a matter of personal choice. It's not for others to judge whether a person is wearing something because of religion, comfort, fun, or because they are some Star Wars Jedi fan.

let say in conservative country like in Afghanistan 80 percent population vote for sharia law no matter how evil it seem to non muslims and wish to live according to it then would such democrasy would be acceptable for liberals or westerns ?

Agree, with the caveat that basic guarantees need to be in place to protect the rights of minorities and dissenting individuals. Democracy should not turn into mob rule.

Mosa, you know that I'm not religious. However, I would have never expected this coming from you. We have made everything clear to you, but you still insist to bash your own culture and religion. There is no religious police in Jordan, and you know well that Jordan is more liberal than any other Arab country, however, Jordanian spy agency would never allow Satanists and gays for instance to have their activities in Jordan, and I know they were arrested and forbidden even to come out. Is this the kind of freedom you are looking for? I know that your country has been bashed for so long because you people still adhere to Islam, but you are not making it better by this. People who love Saudis, love them for one single thing which is their adherence to Islam and those who hate them, hate them for the same reason. I urge you not to ruin that. I amn't saying that Saudis are perfect which have nothing to do with Islam BTW, but what you are saying here is too much.
Sir rules are clear Hijab is order of ALLAH and his RASOOL SAW and women have to wear them and Islamic Governments can and have to enforce them and also as far as gays and lebians are concerned they are one of the biggest criminals in Islam and their punishment is death most people hate Saudi Arabia because they follow Islam and those who love him love it for the same reason

WHY HIJAB IS NECESSARY? (Hijab in islam) HIJAB FLASH PRESENTATION

Until the Imperialists invaded Muslim Countries and the Muslims started mixing with non-believers, all our Muslim women walked in this world with great respect and dignity. The non-believers were finding it very difficult to come anywhere near the border of our Muslim sisters purity. The Hijab (Islamic dress for women) did not only protect them from those evil eyes of non-believers but also gave them freedom and independence from being misused by them.

The non-believers planned to destroy their barrier through removal of Hijab (Hejab, Hijaab) and unfortunately, many of our sisters, without realizing what shame and destruction they were bringing to themselves, removed the Hijab (Muslim Veil) and exposed themselves.

When imperialists invaded China, they were not faced with Hijab but were confronted with other obstacles and the Chinese refused to co-operate with them. In order to crush this resistance, the imperialists flooded China with opium and made it available to the Chinese free of charge. Once the Chinese were addicted, free distribution of opium ceased and it was given only to those who fulfilled their demands.

Removal of the Hijab had exactly the same effect. At one time, you were independent and lived with dignity, but now you are nothing but a slave of your evil desire and behave worse than a Kafir (infidel). By removing your Hijab (An Act of Faith), you have destroyed your faith. Islam means submission to Allah (SWT) in all our action. Those who refused submission cannot be called Muslims. Allah (SWT) states in Holy Qur'an: "And say to the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts and do not display their ornaments except what appears thereof, and let them wear their head-coverings over their bosoms, and not display their ornaments except to their husbands or their fathers, or the fathers of their husbands, or their sons, or the sons of their husbands, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or those whom their right hands possess, or the male servants not having need (of women), or the children who have not attained knowledge of what is hidden of women; and let them not strike their feet so that what they hide of their ornaments may be known; and turn to Allah all of you, O believers! So that you may be successful." Holy Qur'an (24:31)

Also, Imam Jafar Sadiq (as) says: Modesty is the symbol of faith and whoever has no modesty (Hijab), has no religion.

There are many sisters who have failed to understand the actual meaning of Hijab.

To observe proper Hijab is to dress up oneself modestly and appropriately covering all parts of body except face and forearms, without showing one's figure or curves and without using any sort of make-up.

Allah (SWT) has given equal rights to both men and women; He forbids either sex claiming supremacy over the other.

Allah (SWT) states in Holy Qur'an: "O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things)." Holy Qur'an (49:13)

Hijab is one of the righteous deeds and it is a sign of honor and equality with men and stands as a shield of protection against evil man.

The woman in Islam is bestowed with respect and honour and a Muslim gives great importance to his wife. Our Holy Prophet Muhammad's (saw) Hadith says the best of you are those who are best in resting their wives.

The status of wife is so respectable that she is not bound to do any house-hold work unless she does it willingly and with affection; but if her husband forces her to do any work; he will have to answer to Allah (SWT) for his conduct. Also, she is not bound to earn and maintain the house of her husband. Her work shall always conform to the laws of Islam (Shariat). Unlike the Western world, the Muslim wife is a queen in her husband's house. The first thing a husband does for his wife is to provide a servant and a cook according to his ability and when she becomes a mother, she receives greatest respect from her husband. Contrary to this, is considered a sin by Allah (SWT).

One of the most common phrases in Islam is the 'Paradise lies at the feet of the mother'. And Allah (SWT) states in Holy Qur'an: "And your Lord has commanded that you shall not serve (any) but Him, and goodness to your parents. If either or both of them reach old age with you, say not to them (so much as) "Ugh" nor chide them, and speak to them a generous word." Holy Qur'an (17:23)

Allah (SWT) has given great impedance to women and for that reason He orders their children to address them in terms of honor.

What kind of dignity a non-believer has by the way; they conduct their life and expose themselves. They have removed the shield of protection, that modesty of Hijab and left themselves unprotected and that is the cause for the assault, which takes place once every ten seconds in rape and murder around the world. But those true Muslims who observe proper Hijab are protected from such assaults and not one ease or this type is ever heard of.

Moreover Hijab also gives the women an air of authority, dignity and respect, which a non-believer can never claim to possess. Only those who are well behaved can expect admiration and high esteem from others and definitely, those who try to attract men can never be called a well-behaved person.

Those who reject Hijab and wish to attract men are suffering from inferiority complex. They believe men are superior and in order to overcome this feeling, they use their feminine charms. But why should a Muslim woman have such a feeling when she is fully aware of her equality with men?

Hijab, therefore, has such benefits as a guard against any assault, equality with men, air of respect and honor and most important of all, obedience to Allah (SWT) which is equivalent to blood of martyr. Hijab requires women to avoid any sort of attraction to men.

We have many Muslims sisters who are more concerned to please themselves and their non-believer friends than Allah (SWT). Let us not forget the purpose of our existence, which is to cultivate love and affection for Allah in our heart and not for anything else. How can we create that love when we disobey Him? Adoration and affection come from the heart and those who truly love Allah (SWT) will not do anything contrary to this.

Some of our sisters come up with the excuse that the non-believers laugh at them if they observe Hijab and they feel degraded. They may laugh for a little while but after some time, they will have no choice but to respect the Muslim women observing Hijab for their discipline and principles which could not be shaken by their little laugh.

Let us not forget the famous phrase: He who laughs last laughs the longest.

A Muslim sister lives for the future and not for the day; we can all look forward to be in Heaven for believing and obeying Allah (SWT).

Hijab is one of the commandments of Allah (SWT). The Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) said that those women who do not observe proper Hijab are blatantly defying the commandment of Allah (SWT). Ahlul Bayt (as) suffered hardships and offered unparalleled sacrifices to bring original Islam to us. Discarding Hijab puts their sacrifices in vain. And the pleasure of Allah (SWT) is the greatest bliss. But for those who disobeyed, what punishment is awaiting them but Hell-Fire!

What successful women have to say about Hijab (Islamic dress for women)?
It is amazing the way things changed overnight when I started on with Hijab. I can feel the extra respect coming my way. People take me more seriously; friends at college think it looks very neat and smart, and I feel protected and confident when I step out. Dr. Mrs. N.Z.Vakil (Medical Student)

The most important thing about Hijab is that it gives you an identity of a Muslim. Moreover, it is another way of obedience to Allah's (SWT) command. People often gives me due respect which I would have not got without a Hijab. Traveling among men has become easy for me as it makes me feel safe and protected. It also gives me a lot of confidence and last but not the least this has brought me one step closer to Allah (SWT). Therefore, I consider Hijab as a blessing from Allah (SWT) and I thank him for His blessing. Reshma Qazi (Arts Student)

The Angel of Death, Azrael (Ezra'il) said: "Obedience to Allah's (SWT) Commandments is better than compassion to the earth". Initially I felt I would be looked down upon in society, but after wearing Hijab, I realized that people do not give you as much importance as you feel they should. The nearness, which I felt to Allah (SWT) by obeying His commandment, is beyond expression. Moreover wearing Hijab has created an aura of respectability in my environment and has enabled me to remember Allah (SWT) more often. Mrs. S.A. Vakil (House Wife)

I feel that at present when demoralization is increasing in the society, every woman should wear Hijab, It is the only thing which protects a woman and makes her feel secured. Shenaz. F. Raj (College Student)

In the modern society of today, a woman has always been looked upon as just another sexual object for the men. Why should one display one's beauty for unwanted eyes to feast upon? The Hijab protects a woman's honor and doesn't arouse unwanted passion from the opposite sex. I feel if the women were to universally adopt the Islamic code of dressing (Islamic dress for women); the rate of incidences of eves teasing, molestation, rape, etc. would be negligible. Wearing the Hijab gives me more confidence in myself as a woman and it doesn't obstruct me in any way in my profession. Mrs. Salva I. Rasool (Graphic Designer)

The stylish coat can be worn in many different patterns; it loosely falls from the shoulders and reaches the knees. A loose long coat falling from the shoulders and reaching the ankles can also be worn with a scarf covering all the hair. The scarf can also have a veil attached to cover the total face (Niqab). A scarf covering the hair fully, can be worn along with a loose shirt falling till the knees as trousers. (Hair should not be seen from below the scarf). This Hijab commonly known as the "Chadar" is a single piece of material which falls from head and is draped on the shoulder. A scarf too can be worn inside it, to cover all the hair.
Hijab (Hejab, Hijaab): Hijab (Islamic dress for women) supplement
Allah (SWT) states in Holy Qur'an: "Not for (idle) sport did We create the heavens and the earth and all that is between! If it had been Our wish to take (just) a pastime, We should surely have taken it from the things nearest to Us, if We would do (such a thing)." Holy Qur'an (21:16-17)

The above verse amply emphasizes the seriousness with which Allah (SWT) created this world and everything that exists therein, including the human beings. Allah (SWT) created us for a specific and important purpose and it is the duty of every Muslim to lead a disciplined life, realizing the seriousness of this purpose.

Human beings must distinguish themselves from animals by decent and disciplined behavior. But how many of us take this life with the seriousness it deserves? All of us originated from one father and one mother and belong to one big family, but it is unfortunate that many of us live without any sense of collective responsibility. We are one community and the action of one-person will not only reflect on other individuals but also the whole community.

In no other religion in the world is human life to be considered to be so sacred that one man's murder is considered to be the murder of the entire human race, and whoever saves a life it is as if he had saved the lives of all mankind.

Allah (SWT) states in Holy Qur'an: "For this reason did We prescribe to the children of Israel that whoever slays a soul, unless it be for manslaughter or for mischief in the land, it is as though he slew all men; and whoever keeps it alive, it is as though he kept alive all men." Holy Qur'an (5:32)

When Allah (SWT) commanded our sisters to observe Hijab, it was because of the universal damages that would be caused by refusing to observe it. It is not a matter of individual behavior, as many people may think. A woman going out exposing her charms attracts men, which sets off a chain of undesirable events, causing lot of harm to several people. Thus, the indecent behavior of one person affects the community as a whole. Although the person, who originally caused the damage, is to be blamed for all the consequences, other members of the community are also responsible to some extent for allowing such a thing to happen. Therefore, it becomes a collective responsibility of all of us to ensure that such damages are not caused.

For example, some people were sailing in a boat, which they jointly owned when one of them stated making a hole in the place which was allocated to him in the boat. When others tried to stop him, he argued that it was his part of the boat and he was free to do whatever he wished. But if he was allowed to continue, the boat would sink and all of them would be drowned.

Discarding Hijab will harm not only one's own self but also millions of others. Exposure of physical charm of our women may destroy many homes and cause innumerable rapes and murders for which we all are responsible.

It is pertinent to relate one of the several heart-breaking stories caused by discarding Hijab: A young innocent man, who saw the photograph of an attractive woman, was immediately infatuated by her physical charm. Unfortunately, he had neither wealth nor position to get closer to her. To fulfill his desire, he though of getting money quickly by any means and resorted to stealing.

Finally, he ended up in prison for robbing a few people and killing one.

Who is to be blamed for all the consequences but the person who caused them? Had that woman observed Hijab and refrained from displaying her attractions, these crimes would not have taken place.

Our Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) has said that on the Day of Judgment, such people would be brought forward for trail on charges of quasi-crimes in which they had a share of responsibility. They would plead that they did not commit those crimes, but then they would be told that they removed their Hijab and attracted this person, which made him indulge in those crimes.

Allah (SWT) states in Holy Qur'an: "Except those who believe and do good and remember Allah much, and defend themselves after they are oppressed; and they who act unjustly shall know to what final place of turning they shall turn back." Holy Qur'an (26:227)

Liberation or Sexploitation
Look at the glossy cover of any magazine or advertisements on TV and newspaper, you will find that most of these advertisements have scantily dressed women in alluring poses to attract the attention of men. This proves that the Western society considers woman only as a sex symbol.

The liberation of women in Islam is far superior to Western liberation as it allows women to live with respect, dignity and equality in society.

Equality does not mean aping and behaving like men or dancing to their carnal tunes; that would be an act of inferiority in the face of one's own femininity.

A truly liberated woman always dresses decently and modestly. A true woman will never degrade her body and sell her dignity to the highest bidder. No woman is truly liberated if she is still the slave of her wayward conscience, bodily lust or infidelity.

However, in Islam, women, whatever their role as mothers, wives, sisters or daughters, command respect and have a constructive role to play in society. The Hijab itself gives an aura of freedom to the womankind, facilitating their movement and protecting them from provocation and wanton greed of the human wolves. Removal of the Hijab makes you vulnerable to the lust of men.

By removing your Hijab, you have destroyed your faith. Islam means submission to Allah (SWT) in all our actions. Those who refuse submission cannot be called Muslims.

What is Hijab? (Hijaab (Muslim Veil), Hejab (An Act of Faith), Islamic dress for women)
There are many sisters who have failed to understand the actual meaning of Hijab. Hijab technically means covering. Islam desires the preservation of social tranquility and familial peace. Hence, it asks women to cover themselves in their inter-actions with men, whom they are not related to.

Why is Hijab necessary? (Hijabs, Hijab Pictures, Hijab Girls, Hijabi Fashion)
The dangerous consequences of the Western culture of nakedness and permissiveness are before us. We should think twice before blindly trying to imitate Western life-styles.

How should women observe Hijab correctly?
Basically, the dress of ladies should cover the whole body except the face and hands (i.e. palms and fingers). Hair should not be exposed because Islam considers it as half of the total beauty of women. The Hijab could be of any form and color, a one-piece chader or a three-piece ensemble, as long as it is not tight fitting and does not attract people's attention.

Baseless objections against Hijab

Hijab seeks to imprison women: Those who feel that Hijab imprisons women should refrain from living in houses because it is nearer to a prison than Hijab.
Hijab subordinates women: In fact, culture, which promotes nakedness, takes people nearer to the culture of animals. Wearing the Hijab, on the contrary, liberates women from the trap of Western fashion and maladies. It gives them greater, rather than less freedom and mobility.
Why only women? Science has confirmed that visual stimulation plays a predominant role in the physiology of men compared to women. The fact that the sex-industry in the West is targeted towards the male-market confirms it.
Victims of Ridicule: Some of our sisters come up with the excuse that the non-believers laugh at them if they observe Hijab and they feel degraded. They may laugh for a little while but after some time they will have no choice but to respect the Muslim women observing Hijab for their discipline, which could not be shaken, by their little laughs.
Let us not forget the famous phrase: The one who laughs last laughs the longest.
Beauty is meant to be appreciated: True! But only by the husband. Hence women who truly love their husbands would never wish to be seen in public without Hijab.
What are the disadvantages of discarding Hijab?

Becoming an easy target of anti-social elements.
Causing great stresses, insecurity and suspicion in the minds of husbands, ultimately disturbing the familial harmony.
Instigating young people to deviate towards the path of lust and immorality.
Giving rise to cases of divorce, adultery, rape and illegitimate children.
What are the advantages of observing Hijab?

Confidence in social participation as human being and not as sexual commodity.
Guarding one self from the lustful looks of men.
Not diverting people's attention from constructive social work.
Improving the moral character of the society.
In conclusion, women can achieve true dignity and experience true emancipation by observing Hijab and not by discarding it.
Hijab (Modesty) is also for Muslim Men
"Say to the believing men that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts; that is purer for them; surely Allah is Aware of what they do." Holy Qur'an (24:30)

To cast down one's glance, means not to look in a fixed way, not to stare. The sentence means, "Tell the believers not to stare at or flirt with women."

Allah (SWT) has given equal rights to both men and women; He forbids either sex claiming supremacy over the other. Allah (SWT) states in the Holy Qur'an: "The most honored of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you." Holy Qur'an (49:13)

1,900 raped every day in America
Washington: Nearly 1,900 women are raped every day in America, according to a study released on Thursday that paints a much grimmer picture than US Justice Department figures announced earlier this week.

The National Victim Center, which promotes the rights of victims of violent crime, said 1.3 adult women are raped every minute and 683,000 US women are raped each year, based on a survey of more that 4,000 women, including 579 rape victims.

One in eight adult American women has been raped, bringing the total of rape victims to at least 12.1 million, it said.

The survey indicated that 61 per cent of all rape cases involve women under 18 and that 29 percent of all rapes occurred when the victim was less than 11 years old. Reuters (Source: MID-DAY Bombay 25-4-92)

The Question of Hijab: Suppression Or Liberation?

"Why do Muslim women have to cover their heads?" This question is one which is asked by Muslim and non-Muslim alike. For many women it is the truest test of being a Muslim.

The answer to the question is very simple - Muslim women observe HIJAB (covering the head and the body) because Allah has told them to do so.

"O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women to draw their outer garments around them (when they go out or are among men). That is better in order that they may be known (to be Muslims) and not annoyed..." [Noble Quran 33:59]

Other secondary reasons include the requirement for modesty in both men and women. Both will then be evaluated for intelligence and skills instead of looks and sexuality. An Iranian school girl is quoted as saying, "We want to stop men from treating us like sex objects, as they have always done. We want them to ignore our appearance and to be attentive to our personalities and mind. We want them to take us seriously and treat us as equals and not just chase us around for our bodies and physical looks." A Muslim woman who covers her head is making a statement about her identity. Anyone who sees her will know that she is a Muslim and has a good moral character. Many Muslim women who cover are filled with dignity and self esteem; they are pleased to be identified as a Muslim woman. As a chaste, modest, pure woman, she does not want her sexuality to enter into interactions with men in the smallest degree. A woman who covers herself is concealing her sexuality but allowing her femininity to be brought out.

The question of Hijab for Muslim women has been a controversy for centuries and will probably continue for many more. Some learned people do not consider the subject open to discussion and consider that covering the face is required, while a majority are of the opinion that it is not required. A middle line position is taken by some who claim that the instructions are vague and open to individual discretion depending on the situation. The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) were required to cover their faces so that men would not think of them in sexual terms since they were the "Mothers of the Believers," but this requirement was not extended to other women.

The word "Hijab" comes from the Arabic word "hajaba" meaning to hide from view or conceal. In the present time, the context of Hijab is the modest covering of a Muslim woman. The question now is what is the extent of the covering? The Quran says:

"Say to the believing man that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that will make for greater purity for them; and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do. And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; and that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands..." [Noble Quran 24:30-31]

These verses from the Quran contain two main injunctions:

A woman should not show her beauty or adornments except what appears by uncontrolled factors such as the wind blowing her clothes, and

the head covers should be drawn so as to cover the hair, the neck and the bosom.

Islam has no fixed standard as to the style of dress or type of clothing that Muslims must wear. However, some requirements must be met. The first of these requirements is the parts of the body which must be covered. Islam has two sources for guidance and rulings: first, the Quran, the revealed word of Allah and secondly, the Hadith or the traditions of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) who was chosen by Allah to be the role model for mankind. The following is a Tradition of the Prophet:

"Ayshah reported that Asma' the daughter of Abu Bakr came to the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asma'! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not properthat anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to theface and hands." [Abu Dawud]

The second requirement is looseness. The clothing must be loose enough so as not to describe the shape of the woman's body. One desirable way to hide the shape of the body is to wear a cloak over other clothes. However, if the clothing is loose enough, an outer garment is not necessary. Thickness is the third requirement. The clothing must be thick enough so as not to show the color of the skin it covers or the shape of the body. The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) stated that in later generations of his Ummah there would be

"women who would be dressed but naked and on top of their heads (what looks like) camel humps. Curse them for they are truly cursed." [Muslim]

Another requirement is an over-all dignified appearance. The clothing should not attract men's attention to the woman. It should not be shiny and flashy so that everyone notices the dress and the woman. In addition there are other requirements:

Women must not dress so as to appear as men.

"Ibn Abbas narrated: 'The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) cursed the men who appear like women and the women who appear like men.'" [Bukhari]

Women should not dress in a way similar to the unbelievers.

The clothing should be modest, not excessively fancy and also not excessively ragged to gain others admiration or sympathy.

Often forgotten is the fact that modern Western dress is a new invention. Looking at the clothing of women as recently as seventy years ago, we see clothing similar to Hijab. These active and hard-working women of the West were not inhibited by their clothing which consisted of long, full dresses and various types of head covering. Muslim women who wear Hijab do not find it impractical or interfering with their activities in all levels and walks of life. Hijab is not merely a covering dress but more importantly, it is behavior, manners, speech and appearance in public. Dress is only one facet of the total being. The basic requirement of the Muslim woman's dress apply to the Muslim man's clothing with the difference being mainly in degree. Modesty requires that the area between the navel and the knee be covered in front of all people except the wife. The clothing of men should not be like the dress of women, nor should it be tight or provocative. A Muslim should dress to show his identity as a Muslim. Men are not allowed to wear gold or silk. However, both are allowed for women.

For both men and women, clothing requirements are not meant to be a restriction but rather a way in which society will function in a proper, Islamic manner.

III&E Brochure Series
(Published by The Institute of Islamic Information and Education (III&E) and reproduced in electronic form by Islamic Academy for Scientific Research with permission)

The Virtues of Hijab

1. An act of obedience.

The hijab is an act of obedience to Allah and to his prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), Allah says in the Quran:

"It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allah and His messenger have decreed a matter that they should have an option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him), has indeed strayed in a plain error." [Noble Quran 33:36]

Allah also said:

"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things) and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc) and not to show off their adornment except what must (ordinarily) appear thereof, that they should draw their veils over their Juyubihinnah." [Noble Quran 24:31]

Juyubihinnah: The respected scholars from As-Salaf As-Saleh (righteous predecessors) differed whether the veil cover of the body must include the hands and face or not. Today, respected scholars say that the hands and face must be covered. Other respected scholars say it is preferable for women to cover their whole bodies.

2. The Hijab is IFFAH (Modesty).

Allah made the adherence to the hijab a manifestation for chastity and modesty. Allah says:

"O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) over their bodies (when outdoors). That is most convenient that they should be known and not molested." [Noble Quran 33:59]

In the above Ayah there is an evidence that the recognition of the apparent beauty of the woman is harmful to her. When the cause of attraction ends, the restriction is removed. This is illustrated in the case of elderly women who may have lost every aspect of attraction. Allah made it permissible for them to lay aside their outer garments and expose their faces and hands reminding, however, that is still better for them to keep their modesty.

3. The hijab is Taharah (Purity)

Allah had shown us the hikmah (wisdom) behind the legislation of the hijab:

"And when you ask them (the Prophet's wives) for anything you want, ask them from behind a screen, that is purer for your hearts and their hearts." [Noble Quran 33:53]

The hijab makes for greater purity for the hearts of believing men and women because it screens against the desire of the heart. Without the hijab, the heart may or may not desire. That is why the heart is more pure when the sight is blocked (by hijab) and thus the prevention of fitnah (evil actions is very much manifested. The hijab cuts off the ill thoughts and the greed of the sick hearts:

"Be not soft in speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease (of hypocrisy or evil desire for adultery, etc) should be moved with desire, but speak in an honorable manner." [Noble Quran 33:32]

4. The hijab is a Shield

The prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: "Allah, Most High, is Hayie (Bashful), Sittir (Shielder). He loves Haya' (Bashfulness) and Sitr (Shielding; Covering)." The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) also said: "Any woman who takes off her clothes in other than her husband's house (to show off for unlawful purposes), has broken Allah's shield upon her." The hadith demonstrates that depending upon the kind of action committed there will be either reward (if good) or punishment (if bad).

5. The hijab is Taqwah (Righteousness)

Allah says in the Quran:

"O children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover yourselves (screen your private parts, etc) and as an adornment. But the raiment of righteousness, that is better." [Noble Quran 7:26]

The widespread forms of dresses in the world today are mostly for show off and hardly taken as a cover and shield of the woman's body. To the believing women, however the purpose is to safeguard their bodies and cover their private parts as a manifestation of the order of Allah. It is an act of Taqwah (righteousness).

6. The hijab is Eeman (Belief or Faith)

Allah did not address His words about the hijab except to the believing women, Al-Mo'minat. In many cases in the Quran Allah refers to the "the believing women". Aisha, the wife of the prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), addressed some women from the tribe of Banu Tamim who came to visit her and had light clothes on them, they were improperly dressed: "If indeed you are believing women, then truly this is not the dress of the believing women, and if you are not believing women, then enjoy it."

7. The hijab is Hayah' (Bashfulness)

There are two authentic hadith which state: "Each religion has a morality and the morality of Islam is hayah'" AND "Bashfulness is from belief, and belief is in Al-Jannah (paradise)". The hijab fits the natural bashfulness which is a part of the nature of women.

8. The hijab is Gheerah

The hijab fits the natural feeling of Gheerah, which is intrinsic in the straight man who does not like people to look at his wife or daughters. Gheerah is a driving emotion that drives the straight man to safeguard women who are related to him from strangers. The straight MUSLIM man has Gheerah for ALL MUSLIM women In response to lust and desire, men look (with desire) at other women while they do not mind that other men do the same to their wives or daughters. The mixing of sexes and absence of hijab destroys the Gheerah in men. Islam considers Gheerah an integral part of faith. The dignity of the wife or daughter or any other Muslim woman must be highly respected and defended.

That is what your kind can not comprehend. The whole concept of Hai'ah is unethical and out right insane. My freedom and my civil liberties is not anyone's purpose.

They have no right to enforce their beliefs and their way of lives on me. No right to tell me what to do and what not to do. If me and my friends wanted to play music in the park they have no right to stop us.

You see, the concept is very simple, a concept their kind have worked so hard to obliterate from your comprehension ability, the concept is "Civil Liberty". Pure ans Simple. They and their ilk can create colonies to live in like the Amish do.
Hi Mosa!
We are having a nice discussion, no need to be condescending.
I don't know what you mean by "your kind", but I don't label my self with any particular group except for Islam.

First of all, no one is enforcing their believe on you. لا إكراه في الدين قد تبين الرشد من الغي
Second, Civil Liberty has limits everywhere on earth, except for the south pole. For example, here in Canada if I go out naked, I will be arrested, even though its no one's business how I am dressed(or undressed). If you utter the words "holocost is a myth" you will be arrested in France.

In my opinion, the greater good of society gets precedence over personal liberty & individualism. whether, "playing music in the park" goes against the greater good of society is certainly at the least debatable, but that's besides the point. The point as I mentioned, is that even though civil liberty is important, nevertheless it has limits. These limits are chosen by the majority of the people, not you or me.

Hi Mosa!
I don't know what you mean by "your kind", but I don't label my self with any particular group except for Islam.

First of all, no one is enforcing their believe on you. لا إكراه في الدين قد تبين الرشد من الغي
Second, Civil Liberty has limits everywhere on earth, except for the south pole. For example, here in Canada if I go out naked, I will be arrested, even though its no one's business how I am dressed(or undressed). If you utter the words "holocost is a myth" you will be arrested in France.

In my opinion, the greater good of society gets precedence over personal liberty & individualism. whether, "playing music in the park" goes against the greater good of society is certainly at the least debatable, but that's besides the point. The point as I mentioned, is that even though civil liberty is important, nevertheless it has limits. These limits are chosen by the majority of the people, not you or me.
Sir this ayat is for that we can't force any one to convert to Islam but in a Muslims state Islamic government has to enforce Islamic Laws and orders of ALLAH Sir including Hijab Salah Zakat and complete Islamic Social and welfare system

Hi Mosa!

couldn't said it better myself....... I have a personal Q brother still waiting fro the webmaster to fix the 10000 P for PM

Sir this ayat is for that we can't force any one to convert to Islam but in a Muslims state Islamic government has to enforce Islamic Laws and orders of ALLAH Sir including Hijab Salah Zakat and complete Islamic Social and welfare system

Not true. Read the response from the other thread.

Hazrat Umar stated---when I see someone not praying I feel like burning his house---but I cannot do it----muslims have taken a convulated translation of it---the truth to the translation is the the Caliph of islam---Hazrat Umar---did not have any authority over anyone to enforce prayer on that person and punish him or her----that is why he made that statement----that I may feel anger at those not praying---but it is not for me to say anything to them.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/members-club/205741-confessions-non-hijabi-2.html#ixzz25keAeJ7k

So you can't enforce salaah.

hijab_troll___by_fidia95-d5cptl1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom