What's new

Vidya Balan in love with Pakistani dramas

I see the key word :agree:

just look at Chandni ratain for example. I suppose it felt that was because there was alot more diversity in the subject matter that our drama industry touched.
I am not saying all our dramas have a good plot but I am only asking people to acknowledge them like some here would even acknowledge Game of Thrones without seeing its bad side which is desensitizing the audience to think shit is to be on tv! Without that shitty part you think people would have been soo attracted to the story to start with?
Now it's all the same, where we have a similar romantic plot with difficulties that a couple face in the society + a love triangle typa stuff + Sass bahu drama. Nothing against that, because that is a PROVEN formula to get alot of good numbers as a result.
People see it as a plot I see it as awareness which as usual dumb people dont pick up! Sad reality of our society they are incapable of learning anything from anything thrown to them :tsk: What a waste!

But personally, I feel that the hollywood serials on the other hand have ALOT MORE then simply your romantic plots even though more or less everyone of them has a romance story in it.
Yea they also have a bigger budget, more technology and still have a love story that no one calls typical! They have less of the reality in it! I watch them when I am tired from work and dont wanna think...You know switch off your brain and just stare....

I would love to watch the Pakistani dramas once again, if they wide the array of the subject matter that they touch and mix things up...
I would say writers now adays have already experimented with things no one would actually talk about from acid attacks in our society - no one wants to acknowledge the pain it brings to the victim (Adha Chayra) sure it ended well, if it didnt no one would watch it - another reality of our society: 1st no one will watch it 2nd they will criticize it 3rd only bring home msg they take is love story instead of awareness of the pain of a victim....Likewise, we also have stories of psychological abusive spouse, rape by an in law - but to make these bitter pills manageable you have to add love story...

Compared to Hollywood where boom boom bang bang - all manageable without a love story but still includes a love story no desi complains about... :tsk:

I see the key word :agree:

I am not saying all our dramas have a good plot but I am only asking people to acknowledge them like some here would even acknowledge Game of Thrones without seeing its bad side which is desensitizing the audience to think shit is to be on tv! Without that shitty part you think people would have been soo attracted to the story to start with?

Yes I would bet that there will still be alot of people watching it even if there was no softcore stuff on it, because the story line is amazing. To put it simply, it is not the show where you have all the good guys meet to fight the bad guys. It is about revenge, lust for power, the extent people are willing to go for it etc etc. which makes for a good watch ..

People see it as a plot I see it as awareness which as usual dumb people dont pick up! Sad reality of our society they are incapable of learning anything from anything thrown to them :tsk: What a waste!

Umm, okay -- So people using a product for entertainment purposes ( the reason why that product was created in the first place) are dumb -- cmon now -- We all know that these storylines are created and are exaggerated to make it interesting ... even if they are created over real issues -- While I'd acknowledge that experiencing a drama through a protagonist has a much more profound affect on how a person perceives things ... but for awareness, I'd rather use instruments specifically designed for it. Eg. documentaries, research journals etc etc.

Yea they also have a bigger budget, more technology and still have a love story that no one calls typical! They have less of the reality in it! I watch them when I am tired from work and dont wanna think...You know switch off your brain and just stare....

I guess you never watched breaking bad then ... Heck, even if you go and watch game of thrones you will find alot of things that are quite real. e.g. the struggles of being a little person, Tyrion lannister. The struggle of a girl that was traded by her brother as a card so to satisfy his lust for power, to become king. (Khalesi). So, you can find alot of things in that very show that are actually based on historic truths and realities that we have in the society. In all seriousness, the bigger budgets have to be there to produce something that is sell-able. You might notice many series simply not continuing, because there was no appropriate audience response to it. Hence, to create something different, gripping etc etc. you have to incorporate a bigger budget, better technology etc. as this is what the western audience wants ...

That is not to say that lower budgets and inferior technology cannot produce quality results. I've already stated quite a few of our dramas that have been very good. The typical repetition as of late is what gets on the nerves. But from a marketing stand point, it is understandable to use the formula that is working as the audience for the product being presented is more or less loyal at this point.

I would say writers now adays have already experimented with things no one would actually talk about from acid attacks in our society - no one wants to acknowledge the pain it brings to the victim (Adha Chayra) sure it ended well, if it didnt no one would watch it - another reality of our society: 1st no one will watch it 2nd they will criticize it 3rd only bring home msg they take is love story instead of awareness of the pain of a victim....Likewise, we also have stories of psychological abusive spouse, rape by an in law - but to make these bitter pills manageable you have to add love story...

Compared to Hollywood where boom boom bang bang - all manageable without a love story but still includes a love story no desi complains about... :tsk:

I don't remember a serious tv drama serial in Pakistan touching the genre of fantasy, or horror. These two genres are in fact among the most popular in the world. The fact that we don't even dive in to them is more or less indicative of our audience's taste + our incompetence. As far as the whole acid attack awareness, rape victim dramas go -- well, there are many dramas you will find in hollywood that aren't explicitly with that plot but do have a strong protagonist that ends up facing hardships and "rises from the ashes" so to speak ... for example Game of thrones -- Danneris Targeriyan, Sansa Stark heck even Arya Stark -- The kinda show that you say you just watch with your brain switched off .. :D

Anyways, from a marketing perspective I think the problem of airing such material on TV would be the acceptance. Just look at the reaction of some of the people on the clothing of women and you want to unleash our darkest acts as a society on mainstream teli ...:hang2:... So, I guess my point would be the reason why our dramas are in the state they are, is because of the audience (mostly women) for which a formula has already been developed. Back in the days, the audience used to be alot more diverse because there was only 1 channel which resulted in tv serials that touched multiple subjects from comedy to crime to military to romance and everybody as a family could enjoy them --

At this point though, I'd rather watch HBO, national geographic or ten/sky sports or history then go on a Pakistani drama channel.

Last edited:
Yes I would bet that there will still be alot of people watching it even if there was no softcore stuff on it, because the story line is amazing.
Actually no...

When they first started they didnt exactly hit fame right away....Take your guess what caused it to hit fame..

To put it simply, it is not the show where you have all the good guys meet to fight the bad guys. It is about revenge, lust for power, the extent people are willing to go for it etc etc. which makes for a good watch ..
Kind of same thing a Saas or a bahu does only that revolves around the house not fantasy worlds ;)

Umm, okay -- So people using a product for entertainment purposes ( the reason why that product was created in the first place) are dumb -- cmon now --
No, it is entertainment but when there is the love story which is fictional and entertainment - away from reality it is criticized but if it is in English like Titanic everyone goes and dives in like the sinking ship! :unsure:

We all know that these storylines are created and are exaggerated to make it interesting ... even if they are created over real issues -- While I'd acknowledge that experiencing a drama through a protagonist has a much more profound affect on how a person perceives things ... but for awareness, I'd rather use instruments specifically designed for it. Eg. documentaries, research journals etc etc
Instruments specific designed for it wakes you up for the 1-3 hrs the documentary is running while a drama experience wakes you up for all the 20 plus episodes it is going - IF the director knows how to hold the audience I am not saying all dramas are excellent! If they get my attention in 1-2 episodes they have it all through out rarely do I back out afterwards...If they fail me in 1-2 episodes UNTIL and UNLESS someone recommend it ...I aint wasting anymore time on it! Same goes for the movies...If something ticks me off in the 1st 20 mins either I forward it or I stop instantly!

I guess you never watched breaking bad then
Nope not interested in seeing dysfunctional people (ESP when it comes to drugs its not a joke) we have plenty of them in Pakistan to watch and observe - on this forum alone you can experience the variety!

I don't remember a serious tv drama serial in Pakistan touching the genre of fantasy, or horror.
Burka Avengers is fantasy...
Horror films are better no point stretching the plot it becomes predictable kind of like the X files!

Actually no...

When they first started they didnt exactly hit fame right away....Take your guess what caused it to hit fame..

Kind of same thing a Saas or a bahu does only that revolves around the house not fantasy worlds ;)

No, it is entertainment but when there is the love story which is fictional and entertainment - away from reality it is criticized but if it is in English like Titanic everyone goes and dives in like the sinking ship! :unsure:

Well if that is so -- then I guess Spartacus series should be even a bigger hit because it can leave GOT in the dust in the nudity department. Heck, the Borgias or the tudors or the tv series Rome should have been hits as well, but they were not. The usual tv series involving historic monarchies and themes of the old roman/greek/British empires have nudity as somewhat of a must.
The problem with GOT in the start was too many characters, too many story lines etc. to keep count. Heck, I didn't know half the character's names when I completed season 1. But if you ask anyone who is the fan of the show, and ask them which scenes were the most iconic or made you go insane and become a loyal fan of the show the answer would usually be, the battle of the blackwater, tyrion's second trial, the red wedding, The Viper vs the mountain, or the Khalesi liberating the slaves ... None of which have any nudity whatsoever ...

Instruments specific designed for it wakes you up for the 1-3 hrs the documentary is running while a drama experience wakes you up for all the 20 plus episodes it is going - IF the director knows how to hold the audience I am not saying all dramas are excellent! If they get my attention in 1-2 episodes they have it all through out rarely do I back out afterwards...If they fail me in 1-2 episodes UNTIL and UNLESS someone recommend it ...I aint wasting anymore time on it! Same goes for the movies...If something ticks me off in the 1st 20 mins either I forward it or I stop instantly!

Just that documentaries, research journals provide factual information that give you the real picture. Dramas on the other hand show you the world through the lens of the characters and protagonists, a character that has been made deliberately by a writer who isn't bound by scientific method of research. (something I've always been jealous of but whatever)

Nope not interested in seeing dysfunctional people (ESP when it comes to drugs its not a joke) we have plenty of them in Pakistan to watch and observe - on this forum alone you can experience the variety!

Burka Avengers is fantasy...
Horror films are better no point stretching the plot it becomes predictable kind of like the X files!
Seriously ?? Burka avengers ??? :suicide:-- It doesn't count cuz its animation -- but if you want to dive in to animation, how about you watch some japanese anime such as lets say, Kanabei of the iron fortress, log horizon, attack on titan, btoom, death note, nanatsu no taizai etc.

Coming to breaking bad ... my question would be ...isn't that situation a 'reality' as well?? I mean is your crterion for "drama awareness" only applicable to issues pertaining especially to women ? -- After all, the series (breaking bad) gives the account of a person who is about to die cuz of cancer and ends up taking a route that he shouldn't, but does any way for the sake of his family ... Isn't that a reality as well occurring in different shapes ?...

but if you want to dive in to animation, how about you watch some japanese anime such as lets say, Kanabei of the iron fortress, log horizon, attack on titan, btoom, death note, nanatsu no taizai etc.
After watching 2 I seem to be able to predict the rest!

After watching 2 I seem to be able to predict the rest!
Well then check out kanabei of the iron fortress, btoom or death note -- probably the best among the lot -- even though the most famous one would be the attack on the titans ...

Just that documentaries, research journals provide factual information that give you the real picture. Dramas on the other hand show you the world through the lens of the characters and protagonists, a character that has been made deliberately by a writer who isn't bound by scientific method of research. (something I've always been jealous of but whatever)
Not really, Documentaries many a time are produced either for funding purposes - hence not 100% truth....Sometime even altering the truth a bit for the dramatic effect
OR for advertisement of a project purposes - To showcase what a body does or what it will do with your money....

Well if that is so -- then I guess Spartacus series should be even a bigger hit because it can leave GOT in the dust in the nudity department. Heck, the Borgias or the tudors or the tv series Rome should have been hits as well, but they were not. The usual tv series involving historic monarchies and themes of the old roman/greek/British empires have nudity as somewhat of a must.
The problem with GOT in the start was too many characters, too many story lines etc. to keep count. Heck, I didn't know half the character's names when I completed season 1. But if you ask anyone who is the fan of the show, and ask them which scenes were the most iconic or made you go insane and become a loyal fan of the show the answer would usually be, the battle of the blackwater, tyrion's second trial, the red wedding, The Viper vs the mountain, or the Khalesi liberating the slaves ... None of which have any nudity whatsoever ...
I didnt say it was based on nudity...I am saying they used it to get their ratings up as you said your self about the 1st season...They needed the ratings to go up...story maybe good but if the director thought nudity was a must then he didnt have confidence people could take it in without it!

After being in the lab and reading research journals last thing I need is to watch a documentary with its touch ups of reality! :tsk:

Seriously ?? Burka avengers ??? :suicide:-- It doesn't count cuz its animation -- but if you want to dive in to animation, how about you watch some japanese anime such as lets say, Kanabei of the iron fortress, log horizon, attack on titan, btoom, death note, nanatsu no taizai etc.
Each has their own taste and I will find mine....For now I am impressed with how Pakistani directors manage to put a lovely story together you may not appreciate it - like the saying goes: ghar ki murghi daal beraber!

Coming to breaking bad ... my question would be ...isn't that situation a 'reality' as well?? I mean is your crterion for "drama awareness" only applicable to issues pertaining especially to women ? -- After all, the series (breaking bad) gives the account of a person who is about to die cuz of cancer and ends up taking a route that he shouldn't, but does any way for the sake of his family ... Isn't that a reality as well occurring in different shapes ?..
Well such stories are "common"
Hollywood has kind of produced that a little too often!

Not really, Documentaries many a time are produced either for funding purposes - hence not 100% truth....Sometime even altering the truth a bit for the dramatic effect
OR for advertisement of a project purposes - To showcase what a body does or what it will do with your money....

I didnt say it was based on nudity...I am saying they used it to get their ratings up as you said your self about the 1st season...They needed the ratings to go up...story maybe good but if the director thought nudity was a must then he didnt have confidence people could take it in without it!

After being in the lab and reading research journals last thing I need is to watch a documentary with its touch ups of reality! :tsk:

First off!! -- about reading research journals and all !!
FINALLY---is16jz.jpg

Coming to documentaries, yes I know they are produced for funding etc. or produced under an agenda -- but usually they also cite sources or bring in the sources so it's alot more concrete then say a drama which has a lot of room to play with.

As far as GOT is concerned, my point was that nudity is present in more or less every show that touches that time frame /setting ... Now would it bring in more hits etc. definitely would ... any person in the "curious phase" of their life might be watching simply for that purpose ... but thats literally 1-2 mins of an episode more then 45 mins in length. And look up the fan following and the loyalty towards the show to the point where people in the west have had weddings based on GOT themes ... For someone who is a researcher like you ... you do know that correlation is not causality -- so just cuz nudity might be correlated with bigger hits/ratings ... doesn't mean the show is a massive hit because it has nudity ...

Each has their own taste and I will find mine....For now I am impressed with how Pakistani directors manage to put a lovely story together you may not appreciate it - like the saying goes: ghar ki murghi daal beraber!

It's not that at all ... First off I don't like the whole goody toshoo setting of a super hero ... that plot worked back when I was like 14/15. Secondly, if you actually start comparing the level of effort that the japanese production has behind it ... I don't know of any animation production that stands in competition... Disney might have ... back in the days of the lion king or other such cartoons ... otherwise there is no one --- Just watch a few of the good produced anime and you will find that for yourself. It's not the case of ghar ki murghi daal brabar .. it's the case of product A being a light year a head of product B in terms of story line, production, music and over all effort.

Well such stories are "common"
Hollywood has kind of produced that a little too often!

Can you name a show that can be an adequate substitute for breaking bad ?? The underlying stories might be similar but the way they are executed to the point they become synonymous with quality and the standard bearer of what a good tv series should be ... that is by no means an accident ... and for an audience that loves new things and easily becomes fed up of already used plots etc. It did beyond good ...

Coming to documentaries, yes I know they are produced for funding etc. or produced under an agenda -- but usually they also cite sources or bring in the sources so it's alot more concrete then say a drama which has a lot of room to play with.
True however, I prefer the drama coz it lives the character's life not just talks about it from a spectator's POV!

As far as GOT is concerned, my point was that nudity is present in more or less every show that touches that time frame /setting ... Now would it bring in more hits etc. definitely would ... any person in the "curious phase" of their life might be watching simply for that purpose ... but thats literally 1-2 mins of an episode more then 45 mins in length. And look up the fan following and the loyalty towards the show to the point where people in the west have had weddings based on GOT themes ... For someone who is a researcher like you ... you do know that correlation is not causality -- so just cuz nudity might be correlated with bigger hits/ratings ... doesn't mean the show is a massive hit because it has nudity ...
It can be.....like you said curious phase - and with Pakistan having a higher than average curious phase people.....

I dont like that series coz it is all about violent and greed ...I would watch a movie with such motives but not a whole series! :)

It's not that at all ... First off I don't like the whole goody toshoo setting of a super hero ... that plot worked back when I was like 14/15. Secondly, if you actually start comparing the level of effort that the japanese production has behind it ... I don't know of any animation production that stands in competition... Disney might have ... back in the days of the lion king or other such cartoons ... otherwise there is no one --- Just watch a few of the good produced anime and you will find that for yourself. It's not the case of ghar ki murghi daal brabar .. .
I have watched Doremon while growing up....Apart from that very few episodes of others coz I have always been too busy and now just not my cup of tea :enjoy:

It is those things that when someone insists too much you just dont wanna...or out of curiosity you might...I am leaning over dont wanna :)

it's the case of product A being a light year a head of product B in terms of story line, production, music and over all effort.
Well in terms of production the better one also has a bigger budget and better technology....But I guess I am old school and like ghar ki murgi ho ya daal :)

Can you name a show that can be an adequate substitute for breaking bad ??
Desi? I dont think so...That kind of violence (drug based economy) only stems from goray :enjoy:

The underlying stories might be similar but the way they are executed to the point they become synonymous with quality and the standard bearer of what a good tv series should be ... that is by no means an accident ... and for an audience that loves new things and easily becomes fed up of already used plots etc. It did beyond good ...
I remember prison break caught such hype....For me it was like CSI after 2 seasons you can guess the rest...

True however, I prefer the drama coz it lives the character's life not just talks about it from a spectator's POV!

It can be.....like you said curious phase - and with Pakistan having a higher than average curious phase people.....

To each their own I guess, but I'd like to touch on that "curious phase people" point -- that is more or less a myth if we go in to a comparative analysis -- because according to google analytics we might have had the highest search rate for any country -- but if you actually go out on sites that hand out data analystics for different sites and get the viewer data of the most mainstream pornographic sites -- Pakistan isn't even in the conversation ...

I dont like that series coz it is all about violent and greed ...I would watch a movie with such motives but not a whole series! :)
You seem more of a romcom fan :D

I have watched Doremon while growing up....Apart from that very few episodes of others coz I have always been too busy and now just not my cup of tea :enjoy:

It is those things that when someone insists too much you just dont wanna...or out of curiosity you might...I am leaning over dont wanna :)

Well in terms of production the better one also has a bigger budget and better technology....But I guess I am old school and like ghar ki murgi ho ya daal :)

Add in better story telling, better plot, better characters -- Heck I would take Anime over hollywood tv series any day of the week ... To this day, most of their stuff is hand drawn to the very last detail for better quality production ... their storylines are based on their mythologies and the characters they create are quite interesting --- so yeah .. for me it goes ... 1.Anime 2. Hollywood tv series 3. Old dramas of Pakistan 4. Hollywood movies 5. Shifting the channels and skipping as soon as a pakistani tv series is on ...

Desi? I dont think so...That kind of violence (drug based economy) only stems from goray :enjoy:
I remember prison break caught such hype....For me it was like CSI after 2 seasons you can guess the rest...
While we talk about the negatives of them,Gooray dramas/tv series bring in characters that are in the minority ... To this day I've never watched any dramas that are centered around Pakistani sikhs/hindus etc. I have seen many tv series from the west that touch their minority groups e.g. Power ( plot revolves around African American people), the Bridge (the lead is an espanic character) , fresh off the boat (revolves around asian americans) etc etc.

You will have many strong female lead characters -- heck even while I disagree with feminists like yourself the character Daneryse Targaryan is quite good and I enjoy it in the story line. You delve in to the anime world and you will find that the character Akame from Akame ga kill, had one of the best fight sequences I've ever seen in an action anime. Heck, the character Mumei from Kanaberi from the iron fortress is a badass ..

The point being, we lack quite a bit when it comes to creatively pulling off a drama which has an indulging story line and whatnot -- while the clothes of the characters in our dramas have become all "modernized" and what not --- the plot is still stuck way back in the 50's ...

To each their own I guess, but I'd like to touch on that "curious phase people" point -- that is more or less a myth if we go in to a comparative analysis -- because according to google analytics we might have had the highest search rate for any country -- but if you actually go out on sites that hand out data analystics for different sites and get the viewer data of the most mainstream pornographic sites -- Pakistan isn't even in the conversation ...
Ok....if you say so i have no interest in going deep into that :disagree:

You seem more of a romcom fan :D
I am no phanka :p:

I watch whatever I like ..I like to be flexible and not stuck to 1 thing

Add in better story telling, better plot, better characters -- Heck I would take Anime over hollywood tv series any day of the week ... To this day, most of their stuff is hand drawn to the very last detail for better quality production ... their storylines are based on their mythologies and the characters they create are quite interesting --- so yeah .. for me it goes ... 1.Anime 2. Hollywood tv series 3. Old dramas of Pakistan 4. Hollywood movies 5. Shifting the channels and skipping as soon as a pakistani tv series is on ...
good for you

While we talk about the negatives of them,Gooray dramas/tv series bring in characters that are in the minority ... To this day I've never watched any dramas that are centered around Pakistani sikhs/hindus etc.
Do you know some of our actresses are Christian?

As for talking about the stories of other religions...I dont think the drama line should be focused on religion...The goray drama talk kind of bad about their minority - Blacks in hood and gangs/ drugs...Muslims in terrorists or extreme roles...

I am thankful our drama havent dropped to that level!

Though yes there should be some drama but our media and politicians do enough drama about our minorities...

I have seen many tv series from the west that touch their minority groups e.g. Power ( plot revolves around African American people), the Bridge (the lead is an espanic character) , fresh off the boat (revolves around asian americans) etc etc.
How many years did it take them to get 1 of each? 2nd question how many times does a gora play Hispanic or an indain plays Arab/ Persian role?

Let me show you something a common Pakistani wont protest against (coz all American drama/ actors/ everything are good) but these are their people protesting:

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/04/25-minority-characters-that-hollywood-whitewashed/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...a-white-actor-played-someone-who-wasnt-white/

It is also because America is literally made up of immigrants ....except the American Indians all others are immigrants...They have many immigrants who would watch their own ethnic group!

Pakistan has alot of "provicial dramas" - Punjab kay baray mein/ Sindhi wadera/ Pushtoon cultures and many more

You will have many strong female lead characters -- heck even while I disagree with feminists like yourself the character Daneryse Targaryan is quite good and I enjoy it in the story line. You delve in to the anime world and you will find that the character Akame from Akame ga kill, had one of the best fight sequences I've ever seen in an action anime. Heck, the character Mumei from Kanaberi from the iron fortress is a badass ..
When the story line suits you you somehow arent feminist however when I like it... I am?

The point being, we lack quite a bit when it comes to creatively pulling off a drama which has an indulging story line and whatnot -- while the clothes of the characters in our dramas have become all "modernized" and what not --- the plot is still stuck way back in the 50's ...
I disagree...our plots have moved far more than saas bahu/ which thank god never was aour main theme though maybe side theme...

We have drama on acid burn victim - Adha Chayra - old drama
we have drama on child marriage - Rehaai
We have drama on
We have drama on feudal lord and their stupid culture - Noor Bano/ Dil Diya Dheleez
We have drama on rape by family member - Chup Raho
We have drama on a social issue of gossiping about adulteration and how quick people are to judge - Meri Zaat Zaare Benaishaan
Drama on troubles during separation - Dastaan
We have drama like Bol...

Sure these are one of a kind but ignoring them and stating we have no variety is showing how much you spend on searching!

How many Hollywood drama have shown the phobia that is eating the white people of America where they are afaid of everything and everyone different to them? That is a social problem never highlighted!
How many shows their biased behaviour of blacks and Latinos? Very few series would have 1 episode or few mins of the episode to highlight that social issue!

Even very few talk about an old social issue douched by many BUT still an issue of division of neighborhood causing some to get a bad background and end up bad/ with cycle repeating itself...

Ok....if you say so i have no interest in going deep into that :disagree:

I am no phanka :p:

I watch whatever I like ..I like to be flexible and not stuck to 1 thing

good for you

Except for good stuff like breaking bad or GOT etc. ( BTW just kidding :D -- well not really :bunny:)

Do you know some of our actresses are Christian?

As for talking about the stories of other religions...I dont think the drama line should be focused on religion...The goray drama talk kind of bad about their minority - Blacks in hood and gangs/ drugs...Muslims in terrorists or extreme roles...

I am thankful our drama havent dropped to that level!

Yes I know, Sunita Marshall being one of my fav actress back in the day but I was asking for a drama that was based off minority groups etc.Not having actors/actresses from minority groups act in mainstream stuff ... secondly thats a fair point ... but I would say to that ... that religious minorities should be highlighted for the problems they face -- but the point of them (the west) following an agenda to defame a specific religion is infact quite credible ... so I'd agree to that ..

Though yes there should be some drama but our media and politicians do enough drama about our minorities...

How many years did it take them to get 1 of each? 2nd question how many times does a gora play Hispanic or an indain plays Arab/ Persian role?

Let me show you something a common Pakistani wont protest against (coz all American drama/ actors/ everything are good) but these are their people protesting:

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/04/25-minority-characters-that-hollywood-whitewashed/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...a-white-actor-played-someone-who-wasnt-white/

Hmm, interesting and a legit point again -- I know of the whole Oscar thing with black artists protesting -- but then again -- it was another black artist i.e. Chris Rock who was offered to host the awards and well -- lets just say he was balanced in his views ...

But the point is not "how much time it took" -- the comparison is of the present --- if it were of the past tv shows of the west with the past tv shows of Pakistan, I would have preferred Pakistani dramas every day of the week. For me the problem is the same old storyline being present in every other tv show which makes it plain boring.

It is also because America is literally made up of immigrants ....except the American Indians all others are immigrants...They have many immigrants who would watch their own ethnic group!

Pakistan has alot of "provicial dramas" - Punjab kay baray mein/ Sindhi wadera/ Pushtoon cultures and many more
When the story line suits you you somehow arent feminist however when I like it... I am?

Im not a feminist period. That doesn't mean that I don't like strong female characters. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't be okay with equality. Heck, Strong female characters doesn't equate to even those characters being a feminist at all.

I disagree...our plots have moved far more than saas bahu/ which thank god never was aour main theme though maybe side theme...

We have drama on acid burn victim - Adha Chayra - old drama
we have drama on child marriage - Rehaai
We have drama on
We have drama on feudal lord and their stupid culture - Noor Bano/ Dil Diya Dheleez
We have drama on rape by family member - Chup Raho
We have drama on a social issue of gossiping about adulteration and how quick people are to judge - Meri Zaat Zaare Benaishaan
Drama on troubles during separation - Dastaan
We have drama like Bol...

Sure these are one of a kind but ignoring them and stating we have no variety is showing how much you spend on searching!

Good to hear ... But you have to be better then simply highlighting a social issue, the plot, the story line, the characters, the cast, the execution, the marketing etc. all have to be top notch to compete with the rest of the world, which btw they were indeed back in the 90's.

How many Hollywood drama have shown the phobia that is eating the white people of America where they are afaid of everything and everyone different to them? That is a social problem never highlighted!
How many shows their biased behaviour of blacks and Latinos? Very few series would have 1 episode or few mins of the episode to highlight that social issue!

The TV show dexter had two Latino characters and their struggles, the comedy tv show Brooklyn nine nine has a Latino character, the hit tv show Disney had for children Wizards of Waverly place had mix Latino/Italian characters. The tv show before that which was the "it show" by disney was Lizzie Mccguire, where the main character's best friend was a Latina. So, lets not even make it in to a competition, where there is literally none what so ever ...

Even very few talk about an old social issue douched by many BUT still an issue of division of neighborhood causing some to get a bad background and end up bad/ with cycle repeating itself...
One question, have you ever watched the movie 'roots' ?

Last edited:
Yes I know, Sunita Marshall being one of my fav actress back in the day but I was asking for a drama that was based off minority groups etc.
With the mentality we have here...i rather not ask for such a drama :)

that religious minorities should be highlighted for the problems they face
That much I agree but then if we have such dramas, it will take a second after it's release for some idiots to line up with shit like "we show our minorities in poverty" or we show them always suffering (yet when Christian groups cry about the "suffering" making it a religious thing....everyone is silent!)

Hmm, interesting and a legit point again -- I know of the whole Oscar thing with black artists protesting -- but then again -- it was another black artist i.e. Chris Rock who was offered to host the awards and well -- lets just say he was balanced in his views ...
Hosting is different from getting one and being in a drama about the actual truth...

Now hosting can be equated to our Christian models and actress :)
Heck if I am not wrong some of our minorities have been honoured with high achievements even state level!

the comparison is of the present
Well if our economy, education level, technology and thinking arent in par how can you compare the 2 nations and its people?

same old storyline being present in every other tv show which makes it plain boring.
Unlike you I find the story line much refined at least the ones I watch..I dont sit down and watch everything aired!

Im not a feminist period. That doesn't mean that I don't like strong female characters. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't be okay with equality. Heck, Strong female characters doesn't equate to even those characters being a feminist at all.
My point wasnt you...It was you labelled me something which you yourself show yet refuse to label yourself :unsure:

Good to hear ... But you have to be better then simply highlighting a social issue, the plot, the story line, the characters, the cast, the execution, the marketing etc. all have to be top notch to compete with the rest of the world, which btw they were indeed back in the 90's.
All the above are...Its just that the critical nature of Pakistanis in general will watch a love story from the West and see strong female character to appreciate but will only see a love story in a drama about the struggle of a Pakistani woman....it is so obvious that it is sad!

The TV show dexter had two Latino characters and their struggles, the comedy tv show Brooklyn nine nine has a Latino character, the hit tv show Disney had for children Wizards of Waverly place had mix Latino/Italian characters. The tv show before that which was the "it show" by disney was Lizzie Mccguire, where the main character's best friend was a Latina. So, lets not even make it in to a competition, where there is literally none what so ever ...
:rofl: I didnt...I gave you an article from Washingtonpost which BTW I didnt write!

One question, have you ever watched the movie 'roots' ?
Nope

With the mentality we have here...i rather not ask for such a drama :)

That much I agree but then if we have such dramas, it will take a second after it's release for some idiots to line up with shit like "we show our minorities in poverty" or we show them always suffering (yet when Christian groups cry about the "suffering" making it a religious thing....everyone is silent!)

I think I would ... eventually atleast ... with globalization and the cultural integration going on ... it'd be better if we use it in a positive way instead of only one facet of it i.e. clothing ...

Hosting is different from getting one and being in a drama about the actual truth...

Now hosting can be equated to our Christian models and actress :)
Heck if I am not wrong some of our minorities have been honoured with high achievements even state level!

No I wasn't talking about hosting per say, what I meant was that not only did he host ... he was allowed to freely share his opinions and he grilled both the sides (black & white) in his monologue. How many times have we let a mainstream minority artist come forth on THE MOST prestigious show in the business and freely grill everybody ...

Well if our economy, education level, technology and thinking arent in par how can you compare the 2 nations and its people?
Because art doesn't need any of those except thinking -- technology matters but it matters more when your in the fantasy genre .. outside of that technology wouldn't be that big a hurdle. As far as education goes, Malcom X in his time used to roast college grads to PHD docs, even though he was educated till like what ... 8th grade I suppose ... so wisdom doesn't really need a formal education .. although it is quite acceptable that education usually is the avenue to wisdom, it can also be the highway to being a robot as well though ...

Unlike you I find the story line much refined at least the ones I watch..I dont sit down and watch everything aired!
The most refined story line till now, post 2007 I guess, was zindagi gulzar hai ... That was in my opinion the only exception, not that it didn't have the same drama, similar plots etc. but the execution was alot better and it was different enough that it was able to create its own distinct identity ...

My point wasnt you...It was you labelled me something which you yourself show yet refuse to label yourself :unsure:
Not really, I remember you labeling yourself back in the day with the old threads ..and I don't think I necessarily share the same ideology in terms of egalitarian ideologies ... In all honesty the reason why I wouldn't label myself is because my label would be a bit complicated ... cuz I'd prefer the gender role ideology that was handed down to us in our religion, but I don't have any problems with equality either. In terms of gender equality, the group I would most likely be part of would be the equalist/humanist movement ... I wouldn't be a MRA because ultimately it'll face the same problem as feminism in the long term being too one sided. I wouldn't be a feminist because it's already demonstrated its bias against men. I wouldn't be a MGTOW because I don't believe that every woman is a monster that would marry for money/status etc. Ofcourse I'm pretty sure I'm naive at this point as I'm in my early 20's so experience will most likely knock sense in to me ... so ... you can choose whatever label you want for the mess I am ... :P

All the above are...Its just that the critical nature of Pakistanis in general will watch a love story from the West and see strong female character to appreciate but will only see a love story in a drama about the struggle of a Pakistani woman....it is so obvious that it is sad!
Nope -- strength isn't always the action type ... BTW the action of lollywood and bollywood is horrific enough .... you can operationalize strength in many ways ... for me if I was going to find strength in a character, I'd go with the drama Asghari Akbari and see that religious dude character played by Imran Abbas and that girl that he married (the one settled abroad before marriage) .. both of them facing their polar opposite and trying to find a balance ... that to me is also strength ... BTW nothing against romantic tv series as well, but atleast be different to a degree --- I remember the drama Alpha bravo charlie, it had parts of romance in it ... so did quite a few others in the 90's. Heck, you remember that drama when Ali Zafar started his career in acting with the theme song "jugnuon se bhar le anchal" .. I was not even teen back then and I've seen it once and it was like a 2 hour thing .. and I still remember the darn thing ...

:rofl: I didnt...I gave you an article from Washingtonpost which BTW I didnt write!

Nope

You did ... all this debate is more or less hollywood vs Pakistani drama series ... which was what I was referring to in my post ... Well as far as roots goes, its THE MOVIE if you want to see a movie regarding USA's most taboo topic slavery ...

Back
Top Bottom