What's new

UNSC permanent seat for India

Not worth the effort for India. This feels more like an exercise to get more IFS officers permanently based in US rather than of any tangible benefit for us.

China will support India but surely without VETO power...and without VETO if India joins UNSC, I guess China should have no issue at all, in fact, it will be kind of victory for them as they cant manage to keep India outside UNSC considering India's changing image globally..

India Don't Need anybody support she need hard work and develop Ballistic missile with more then 12000 kilometer then the P5 will have no choice but to include India in exclusive club.

I was trying to imagine a UNSC meeting if North Korea becomes permanent member
US president:Hello Mr Jong,how have you been.sank any South Korean boat lately
Jong:Nah,been busy showing people that how we won all olympic gold medals.

seems like Pakistan needs to get its act together and not be a place terrorists can hide right under authorities' noses

pl51fhy13ugw4656112.gif

I think the criteria for getting the highseat in UNSC table is all messed up!

A country like India deserves a UNSC permanent seat NOT because it is a nuclear power or even an economic powerhouse.

Rather, the criteria should have been because India is home to 20% of entire humanity. If such a huge mass doesn't find representation in a truly international body like UNSC, then UNSC itself is a joke -- which it actually has become.

Germany is worthy of a seat, but that would give Europe 3 seats and let them dominate the council. Instead maybe they should have France's seat.
I agree. Why does France even has a seat, but countries like Germany or India or Brazil don't have it? Oh I forgot, colonial souvenirs.

Rather, the criteria should have been because India is home to 20% of entire humanity. If such a huge mass doesn't find representation in a truly international body like UNSC, then UNSC itself is a joke -- which it actually has become.

Yes, the UNSC is a joke. Like I said, America didn't consult the UNSC before Iraq, Russia didn't consult the UNSC before Crimea, and China did not consult the UNSC before Scarborough shoal.

But how exactly will the UNSC become less of a joke, just because India joins? Will none of the above happen then?

No, even the idea of a veto or consensus is a joke!

Why can't there be an equal representation for each countries (or atleast a representation which is in proportion to their population)?

Consider the scenario when the population of India crosses half or 3/4 of entire humanity. How does it make sense that 25% of humanity tells a country which represents 75% of entire population, what to do?

No, even the idea of a veto or consensus is a joke!

Why can't there be an equal representation for each countries (or atleast a representation which is in proportion to their population)?

Consider the scenario when the population of India crosses half or 3/4 of entire humanity. How does it make sense that 25% of humanity tells a country which represents 75% of entire population, what to do?

Isn't that how the world has always worked?

The world runs on power. If you want more influence, then build more power. Especially hard power, like economic and military power.

That's what we're doing.

The world runs on power. If you want more influence, then build more power. Especially hard power, like economic and military power.

That's what we're doing.

Agree.

Old Chinese idiom - You cannot win on paper what you have not won on the battlefield.

That's what we're doing.

I know! But it seriously risks losing its relevance!

Then what is the incentive for countries like India, Brazil, Germany, Japan not to form a parallel organization? I am sure there are many more countries who would wish to join them.

Also, going forward 10, 20 years, how does UK or even France hold relevance in such an elite league when they will most likely not possess the power to back their position?

They should dump UNSC and make a new club for nuclear power state only.

These country should ensure that no one accept themselves should have nuclear weapon.

Back
Top Bottom