What's new

Turkish Peace Operations in Syria (Operation Olive Branch) Updates & Discussions

Demolition job of cook-off after fire on captured vehicles IMHO.

Those tanks and truck were destroyed by IEDs, that much is plain as day. For one the truck has its front end blown off. This is 100% consistent with mines and IEDs, we know with absolute certainty this was the work of a mine/IED.

The Leopard with the front left hull destroyed and turret blown off also looks to be from an IED. For one the entire undercarriage is destroyed, and two, a part of the hull was blown away, which I don't think is from internal ammo cooking off. I have seen countless pictures and video of T-55s, T-64s, T-72, ect cook off and most of the time either the turret pops off or the fire escapes through the hatches. I don't recall seeing too many if any T series tanks having pieces of the hull blown away unless they hit a mine/IED.

Not with front MBT that both ammo storage areas (left front hull and left turret rear) exploded, which is very unlikely in the event of an attack by ATGW. Moreover, hull penetration should not result in this level of damage to the hull front.

I don't think it was an ATGM, it was a mine that caused the damage to the front hull, which caused the amo to ignite, which caused over pressure and resulted in the turret popping off. Again look at the truck next to the tank, it was a mine/IED.

Is that what happened here?

Lol, do you actually believe that those tanks were hit from an airstrike? Zero evidence of that, Isis has causualy been driving around captured vehicles, towing them away and removing ammunition. It's safe to say that it is highly improbable that these tanks were destroyed by airstrikes.

Isis around Al-Bab seem to be smart and resourceful. They arnt just blowing up captured equipment. For instance, in the case of the damaged M-60, they removed to ammunition so they can probably make IEDs, the Cobra, they towed it away so they can probably use it as VBIED.

Here is Isis removing ammo from captured M-60 for IEDs/VBIEDs. why would they waste ammo and a perfectly Leopard tank with powerful canon?

IMG_2924.JPG
IMG_2925.JPG

Isis towing away Cobra. So they go through the trouble of towing away a Cobra but blow up perfectly good tank with powerful canon and armor and destroy its ammunition in which they could have made dozens of IEDs or VBIEDs?

IMG_2926.JPG

What is the casualties of Russian Armed Forces? Any one know it?

Around 23 in about 16 months including atleast 1 helicopter that crashed due to mechanical issues, 1 suicide and the Turkish ambush that killed 2.

Last edited:
Those tanks and truck were destroyed by IEDs, that much is plain as day. For one the truck has its front end blown off. This is 100% consistent with mines and IEDs, we know with absolute certainty this was the work of a mine/IED.
The vehicle next to the tank is not the tank, I don't think one should assumed both met the same fate.

The Leopard with the front left hull destroyed and turret blown off also looks to be from an IED. For one the entire undercarriage is destroyed, and two, a part of the hull was blown away, which I don't think is from internal ammo cooking off. I have seen countless pictures and video of T-55s, T-64s, T-72, ect cook off and most of the time either the turret pops off or the fire escapes through the hatches. I don't recall seeing too many if any T series tanks having pieces of the hull blown away unless they hit a mine/IED.

Or e.g. a AGM-65 Maverick missile? Or an 155mm artillery round. T-72 hit by Maverick:
WCDJIUh.jpg

agm65_tank_effects.jpg

Cooking off typically occurs due to fire and not all rounds would blow simulaneously. But what if a demolition charge is placed onto the forward munitions storage of the Leo? Explosion of 27 tank rounds plus the force of the demolition charge could well be enough to rip apart the left front hull.

I don't think it was an ATGM, it was a mine that caused the damage to the front hull, which caused the amo to ignite, which caused over pressure and resulted in the turret popping off. Again look at the truck next to the tank, it was a mine/IED.
How then do you explain the explosion of the turret rear ammo storage? There was an explosion there: the blow-off panel is gone and the rest is a well protected box. If there was an IED explosion and the turret were tossed up away from the hull, that still wouldn't have to cause those rounds to also go off. Unless e.g. the turret was completely turned reverse and the turret stowage right about the hull stowage (but even then, there's a good slab of armor between the two sets of ammo)

201502140014105124.jpg

Lol, do you actually believe that those tanks were hit from an airstrike? Zero evidence of that, Isis has causualy been driving around captured vehicles, towing them away and removing ammunition. It's safe to say that it is highly improbable that these tanks were destroyed by airstrikes.
Someone else here suggested that. I asked whether that was the case. I concluded nothing (yet). There is no reason for you to respond this way towards me.

Here is Isis removing ammo from captured M-60 for IEDs/VBIEDs. why would they waste ammo and a perfectly Leopard tank with powerful canon?
There are 2 parties that can perform demolition a) those who have captured the vehicle and b) those that were forced to abandon the vehicle. We don't know the story with the Leo2 pics in question.

Isis towing away Cobra. So they go through the trouble of towing away a Cobra but blow up perfectly good tank with powerful canon and armor and destroy its ammunition in which they could have made dozens of IEDs or VBIEDs?
Uhm, yes, why not? E.g because there is little realistic way of reusing the 120mm cannon and the composite armor of the Leo2, whereas the much less complex and advanced Cobra can be recycled more easily.

Last edited:
Dont violate the border then, you have been warned, ten times to be exactly.

Like how the Turks violated Greek airspace thousands of times or how they violated Syrian, Iraqi, Cyprus airspace and sovereignty?

Like how the Turks violated Greek airspace

International airspace is not Greek airspace. We always fly above international waters in Aegean sea to train our pilots. Greeks are the ones who cry "b-but muh airspacee waaa" :D We didn't violate any foreign airspace for years (except Syrian airspace, but it is not a big deal)

International airspace is not Greek airspace. We always fly above international waters in Aegean sea to train our pilots. Greeks are the ones who cry "b-but muh airspacee waaa" :D We didn't violate any foreign airspace for years (except Syrian airspace, but it is not a big deal)

I don't like to get into these arguments. Turks often mention the shoot down and passively aggressively brag about it. The fact is, Turkey does violate Greek airspace, you being a Turk will claim otherwise but it's happened countless times, the Greeks even down Turkish aircraft in retaliation.as for Iraq, Iraq told the Turks to get off their land many times and as far as I remember they told Turkey to stay out of Iraqi airspace. Northern Cyprus was also annexed.

I'm not here to debate airspace violations. I'm here to discuss the operation against Isis.

Greeks even down Turkish aircraft in retaliation
Wut?

Turkey does violate Greek airspace
We didn't enter greek airspace for years

I remember they told Turkey to stay out of Iraqi airspace.
Nope. Only KRG president Barzani said "There would be some incidents due to Turkish airfighters, we support their fight against PKK but they should cooperate us and give us information". Iraqis don't care KRG soil at all.

Northern Cyprus was also annexed.
Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus is an Independent State. We only fought against ENOSIS Nazis and stopped Turkish Genocide in the Island and saved our minority.

Like how the Turks violated Greek airspace thousands of times or how they violated Syrian, Iraqi, Cyprus airspace and sovereignty?
Greek say 12 nmi belogs to them Turkey says its 6 nmi so Greeks claim claim as much as the want as their airspace it wont change anything, if they have a problem with this they can shoot down Turkish planes.

And the subject isnt Greece but Turkey-Russia and your claim of ''ambush'' as if Turkey told those pilots to fly over Turkish airspace, accept your mistake and stop crying.

Greek say 12 nmi belogs to them Turkey says its 6 nmi so Greeks claim claim as much as the want as their airspace it wont change anything, if they have a problem with this they can shoot down Turkish planes.

And the subject isnt Greece but Turkey-Russia and your claim of ''ambush'' as if Turkey told those pilots to fly over Turkish airspace, accept your mistake and stop crying.

Who is crying? Experts all agree the F-16 ambushed the SU-24. It was loitering in the area doing circles while flying at a low altitude to avoid detection, it was also also flying at an altitude where it's engines don't work efficiently despite having limited fuel. Once the F-16 fired its missile, it bolted back to base.

Wut?

We didn't enter greek airspace for years

Nope. Only KRG president Barzani said "There would be some incidents due to Turkish airfighters, we support their fight against PKK but they should cooperate us and give us information". Iraqis don't care KRG soil at all.

Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus is an Independent State. We only fought against ENOSIS Nazis and stopped Turkish Genocide in the Island and saved our minority.

Multiple Turkish aircraft have been lost due to getting into dogfights with Greek aircraft. One crashed due to pilot error while dogfighting, one was shot down from a missile and one was involved in a mid air collision.

Who is crying? Experts all agree the F-16 ambushed the SU-24. It was loitering in the area doing circles while flying at a low altitude to avoid detection, it was also also flying at an altitude where it's engines don't work efficiently despite having limited fuel. Once the F-16 fired its missile, it bolted back to base.
Its also called patrolling after Russian planes violating the airspace numerous times, fact is they have been warned more than enough and given enough time to change their direction which they didnt listen to.

I don't like to get into these arguments. Turks often mention the shoot down and passively aggressively brag about it. The fact is, Turkey does violate Greek airspace, you being a Turk will claim otherwise but it's happened countless times, the Greeks even down Turkish aircraft in retaliation.as for Iraq, Iraq told the Turks to get off their land many times and as far as I remember they told Turkey to stay out of Iraqi airspace. Northern Cyprus was also annexed.

I'm not here to debate airspace violations. I'm here to discuss the operation against Isis.

There is not much to brag about. The situation is a product of the very nature of the politics and people of both countries. The difference however between Greek airspace "violations" is that there is a dispute going on over how much of the Aegean is actually Greek. This is simply irrelevant argument unless the Russians claim Hatay as their own. There have been many dogfights between HAF and TuAF thats not secret, the damage goes both ways. We shot down helicopters and jets of them in return. You are just scrapping the bottom of the barrel with these arguments to be honest.

And where is the source about this greek aggresion?

https://theaviationist.com/2015/12/30/aegean-sea-dogfight/

There is not much to brag about. The situation is a product of the very nature of the politics and people of both countries. The difference however between Greek airspace "violations" is that there is a dispute going on over how much of the Aegean is actually Greek. This is simply irrelevant argument unless the Russians claim Hatay as their own. There have been many dogfights between HAF and TuAF thats not secret, the damage goes both ways. We shot down helicopters and jets of them in return. You are just scrapping the bottom of the barrel with these arguments to be honest.

you need to go back and look at the context of the argument and see who quoted who first and who is gaining up on who. One member asked how many Russian forces died in Syria so I replied and gave a very brief description of some of the Russian casualties which I includes a helicopter that crashed due to mechanical issues, a suicide and the "Turkish ambush" of the SU-24. Next thing I know I am being gained up by 4 or 5 Turks for no reason.

Sensitive much?

https://theaviationist.com/2015/12/30/aegean-sea-dogfight/

you need to go back and look at the context of the argument and see who quoted who first and who is gaining up on who. One member asked how many Russian forces died in Syria so I replied and gave a very brief description of some of the Russian casualties which I includes a helicopter that crashed due to mechanical issues, a suicide and the "Turkish ambush" of the SU-24. Next thing I know I am being gained up by 4 or 5 Turks for no reason.

Sensitive much?

Ther is nothing special, the link what you give mentioned what we wrote you. Greecs are claiming nothing more:-).

According to Ekathimerini.com, Greek and Turkish jets engaged in a brief dogfight over the Aegean Sea after a formation of six Turkish aircraft “flanked by two CN-235 aircraft that were not in formation” violated Greek national air space nine times.

Back
Top Bottom