What's new

Tried my first south indian food

plz take care of ur health....if u keep eating doza in breakfast u may end up havin a heart attack or diabetes,teeth tu pely hi gir chukey hain n head is already without any hair :P lol jk:police:

I dont think so,it depends on the oil.

If you use refdined oil/ground nut oil/sarson ka tel,it is heavy.

Use Til ka Tel,it wont be.

Masala Dosa with coconut chutney is probably the only South Indian food, most Pakistanis would eat easily and even like.

Idly Sambar is a big no no for me, I imagine that's what jail food must taste/look like.

Plain Vada is eatable but tasteless.

Most of their North Indian food adaptations are also not eatable due to the South Indian obsession with curry patta. Everything tastes and smells like curry patta If you read their recipes they start with 50 curry pattas.

The best Masala Dosa I've eaten is from a restaurant called Saravanabhavana

To be frank,

Most North Indians also face this,they dont lie Imli,Curry Patha,Coconut etc etc.

It upsets their stomach.

There is something called Gun powder which is the best combo with Idly/Dosa.

I never tried any south indian food

well I ate hydedrabadi biryani many times if it count as south indian

It doesn't count.

WHAT? Sarvana bhavan a rip off? Dude restaurants in Dubai are some of the most expensive in the world and when I eat at sarvana bhavan I feel I save money.

I make all south indian food at home.

Saravana Bhavan fed me with cheap but hygienic food when I moved to Chennai for my masters and I got afflicted with Jaundice and Typhoid eating in the roadside eateries - Couldn't afford everything in the menu but a Thali then would cost Rs. 10, very affordable for a student.

That means you are very old.

Ghee roast is just some masala right? Nothing at all in it except maybe tomatoes and onions?

I've never tried it I've always wondered what it is. I've seen Ghee Egg Roast, with solid full eggs. They look too spicy considering they are breakfast food.

Ghee roast is using ghee to make the dosa instead of oil.

You eat it with some chutney or just the dosa on its own?

Isn't South Indian food all about getting your hands messy?

In Pakistan (or Muslim world in general) its quite customary (right word is sunnat - practice of the prophet) to eat with just three fingers (thumb, index finger, middle finger). Mallus however like to use all fives, crush every food (especially rice based) into a gola and then gulp it down.

So it doesn't matter what you eat, you'll get your hands messy!

sunnat is okay for garam roti,but thats it.

and north indians sue both hands to eat a roti but we use only the right hand for eating food.

I eat with whatever they give.. usually 2 chutneys .. ginger and coconut.. and then there is sambar...
first thing I do is to fold the bits of dosa that is nearly touching the table.. then take a piece of it.. while holding it take some masala with it(dig it from middle not open the dosa..) .. so that masala does not touch my finger..
I repeat it the same with chutney ... while sipping some sambar with spoon as step 2.

Problem is .after eating.. ghee sticks to the finger. and no amount of washing can remove it.. :)

how do you eat your dosa.. @seiko

Home Dosas are small,fit into my plater.

I put gun powder(chilli,uraddal etc mixed powder) mix it with little olive oil,then use all 5 fingers to tear the dosa,dip it in the gun powder mix and eat.

I use only my 5 fingers.

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing I do is throw the Sambar away. I even tell them, yaar don't give it to me, they are like but its free! :D

I eat dosa with chutney alone.

One thing I would recommend Indians is to try out Pakistani vegetarian foods. Either cook it yourself watching recipes from Pakistani youtube channels, or at some Pakistani friends' place. If you are particular about eating strictly veg (like no mixing of utensils and oils), for religious reasons, you can't get that guarantee from restaurants, but perhaps in the fancier places you can.

There are tons of Pakistani vegetarian foods. Dal Maash is one thing I'm sure you all must have tried in Punjabi restaurants, cooking it at home takes some experience, you almost always get it wrong the first few times.

Saagh is another one, with makai ki roti but can also be done with Naan.

Alu bhujia (its different from the South Indian one, its got a lot more use of tomatoes).

And my favorite - Chikkar Cholay. Again a world of difference from what you get in South Indian restaurants called Channa Masala.

So when you go to Pakistani restaurants, don't just blindly order Butter Chicken (I know that's the only thing that comes to an Indian's mind when they think of Non-veg :D), if you want, there are always vegetarian options.

Well for the foods you mentioned,i go to Punjabi/Rajasthani Veg Restaurants.

Punjabi Veg restaurants are best only in the vaishnav dhabas of Punjab.

I have eaten Saag,Cholay,Raajma,Dal Makhani,Bhindee Cholay this that and a lot.

In Pak restaurants strictly mutton,daal gosht/alu gosht/bhuna gosht/kadai gosht with naan.

Your location says Pakistan,

How would you get it in Pak?

Many restaurants in Karachi serve them. There is an area in the old city area of Saddar (Garden) where there are traditional Gujarati, Bombay and South Indian cuisine restaurants

My current location is actually UK. Many South Indian restaurants in all major cities here.

Oh ok,to be frank most restaurant south indian food is ok but to get the real thing,you should go to someone's place.

if you will get chance try Padang Indonesian also..........good test almost Indian style but not Indian,slightly different

1.1265908935.padang-food.jpg

1.1242976740.padang-food-with-the-gils.jpg

pondok-buyung-4-10-3.jpg

pondok-buyung-4-10-5.jpg

002LRN4DCD64834B316D86l.jpg

@naveen mishra ... looks delicious.. will search for an indonesian restaurant then... I like thai curries too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it true that South Indians are more staunchly vegetarian

because I can only go so long without having some more meat especially my burgers...yum yum.

because I can only go so long without having some more meat especially my burgers...yum yum.

North Indians more veg than South Indians. South Indians generally only brahmins are veg. Most veg are West Indians, such as people from states of Gujrat, Maharashtra and Rajasthan.

Depends on place to place,,
U go to Mangalore (karnataka),,rice doesn't go down the throat if its not soaked in fish or chicken gravy,

So is Chettinad In Tamil Nade & Kerala for beef fry & todi ,Andra famous for biryanis,,,,,, U need to go to right place buddy :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom