What's new

Indian food thread

Most "muslim" food is not from India.

That said, there is no such thing as "muslim" food unless it specifically originated post the birth of Islam and specific to and/or linked to Islam only.

I'm no food historian, but I'd wager there are few if any such examples, and I cannot think of any.

Hindu food yes. Because Hindu is a civilization and a religion. One cannot identify the cleave plane between the two. And it is ancient and predates all other religions. So unless you date the origin of Indian food to before the estimated origins of the Rig Veda (carbon dated samples stuck to white pottery maybe?) what is Indian is also Hindu. Seamlessly synonymous.

^doesn't look to appetizing tbh but then it was the Portuguese who introduced both the Tomato and the Potato to India.

The tomato arrived in India by the way of Portuguese explorers, in the 16th century.

The Portuguese introduced potatoes, which they called 'Batata', to India in the early seventeenth century when they cultivated it along the western coast. British traders introduced potatoes to Bengal as a root crop, 'Alu'. By the end of the 18th century, it was cultivated across northern hill areas of India.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_potato

Half of our subzeez and daals etc will vanish if we remove the tamatar and alu :P

Anywho, we owned it, and have made it our own since.. haven't we ?

The Biriyani is most definitely "muslim" food in a sense. Those long caravans were just looking for a good hearty meal and sort of stumbled upon this way of doing rice.. at least that's how the story goes. Again, like with the humble potato and tomato, that style of cooking evolved eventually to what we now know as a biriyani. In present day India, there are 3 major schools of it.. Lucknowi, Hyderabadi, and to a somewhat lesser extent, Kolkotta.. they do versions in TN and Kerala too with that fat small rice.. delish and different spices, but I prefer the long grain basmati versions of the north.

Most "muslim" food is not from India.

That said, there is no such thing as "muslim" food unless it specifically originated post the birth of Islam and specific to and/or linked to Islam only.

I'm no food historian, but I'd wager there are few if any such examples, and I cannot think of any.

Hindu food yes. Because Hindu is a civilization and a religion. One cannot identify the cleave plane between the two. And it is ancient and predates all other religions. So unless you date the origin of Indian food to before the estimated origins of the Rig Veda (carbon dated samples stuck to white pottery maybe?) what is Indian is also Hindu. Seamlessly synonymous.

In olden times ethnicities and religions were used interchangeably, and this is responsible for certain culinary styles to be classified as Muslim, whereas the correct classification should have been Turk, Persian, Arab etc. The same applies to architecture too. So when people look at mosques in Istanbul and call it Islamic style architecture, what they are looking at really is Byzantine architecture, with the possible exception of minarets which were added later. The Blue Mosque and others in Turkey which were built by Muslims follow the same Byzantine style. This is the reason mosques look different in every country and even temples look different within India. What would classify as 'Muslim architecture' is absence of religious imagery, altars etc. To compensate for the absence of imagery Muslim architects used Arabic calligraphy or patterns that deliberately did not resemble anything. These could be called 'Muslim influences'.

Ethnic, civilisational and religious ascendency have often coincided, so one can't really expect the common man to be this discerning, when even highly educated ones are not.

Very wrong to say it is India food, when origins are somewhere else.
As for South Indian food, visited one in London, decided never to touch it again, is this good enough experience for you!! Gujrati suck in most things, especially their narrowmindedness and their racists attitude.
I can not even tolerate entering an Indian house, the sickening spice smell can be feel even before you enter the house. And after entering, you be lucky to esape womitting. Anything coming close to that stanch is African households who who make those Banana/yam dishes.
In my house you will never feel any spices smell.
If there's any Gujrati here

F you mofo -er hope your people die of rat poisoning or some shit

If there's ever a race war in the US, I swear you'll be my first target - peace out

Gujju food sucks, but their snacks are my fav.
Man, I had some once at a huge buffet spread prepared by some well regarded "maharaj" (cook) at some fancy wedding something...

paen di pxdi.. oily, sweet and sour, and overloaded with chili, weird texture subzis everywhere.. it was DISGUSTING ! :wacko:

or, maybe my palate disagrees strongly with those concoctions... can't stand sushi/sashimi etc either.

tangri khilao bc

1668401723181.png

🤤

Gujrat sucks

Gujju food sucks

Gujju food gets a bad rep, but honestly it's not that bad. In fact much of vegetarian food cooked in homes in India is not very different from region to region. You will have some local touches like addition / absence of curry leaves, coconut, garam masala, mustard oil etc but if I were to do a pot luck of home cooked food with my colleagues, chances are food will be quite similar. The stark differences come in street food and restaurant food. After all its not as if Punjabis are eating Butter Chicken and Chholay Bhature 3 times a day, or Keralites are eating Beef Roast and Malabar Paratha all the time.

Gujarat is a dry place like Rajasthan and they have historically adapted to making foods with daal and besan which can be stored for a long time. Hence their over dependence on snack type foods. Eat at Govardhan Thaal or Trishala in Ahmedabad, I am sure you will love it.

I’m not terribly fond of Indian food or Pakistani food due to the oil and ghee content.

That said, the two Indian dishes I have tried in Karachi and loved are:

• Anda Pav
  • Cucumber pachadi

Wtf are both of these?
Anda Pav is an egg burger and Cucumber Pachadi is a dish from kerela made with yogurt, cucumber, mint leaves and we were served it wish a dosa.

How come you don’t know about Anda Pav it’s a Mumbai favourite apparently.

Anda Pav is an egg burger and Cucumber Pachadi is a dish from kerela made with yogurt, cucumber, mint leaves and we were served it wish a dosa.

How come you don’t know about Anda Pav it’s a Mumbai favourite apparently.

I was quite surprised to know that the word 'pachadi' was used in Pakistan until I came to know that there is a small community of Malabar Muslims in Karachi. Pachadi is the south Indian umbrella word for all kinds of chutneys.

I was quite surprised to know that the word 'pachadi' was used in Pakistan until I came to know that there is a small community of Malabar Muslims in Karachi. Pachadi is the south Indian umbrella word for all kinds of chutneys.
Karachi food is very diverse. It’s a true melting pot 😊

Gujju food gets a bad rep, but honestly it's not that bad. In fact much of vegetarian food cooked in homes in India is not very different from region to region. You will have some local touches like addition / absence of curry leaves, coconut, garam masala, mustard oil etc but if I were to do a pot luck of home cooked food with my colleagues, chances are food will be quite similar. The stark differences come in street food and restaurant food. After all its not as if Punjabis are eating Butter Chicken and Chholay Bhature 3 times a day, or Keralites are eating Beef Roast and Malabar Paratha all the time.

Gujarat is a dry place like Rajasthan and they have historically adapted to making foods with daal and besan which can be stored for a long time. Hence their over dependence on snack type foods. Eat at Govardhan Thaal or Trishala in Ahmedabad, I am sure you will love it.
You Gujju or what ? :D

yes, the namkeens are good, incl theplas etc but just try and do a full on meal once.. oily + sweet + sour + extremely hot/chilli.. its just weird. Or maybe that's just from a subset of the Gujjus.. not sure.

No compare with Rajasthan pls (yes, I've had the traditional pure veg from there too).. laas maas/safed maas.. + many others. I think it comes from their tradition of hunting, maharajas, mughals, brits.. all hunted the fauna and did amazing things with the meat.

Gujrat is also historic home to the Parsis, they're no daalkhors for sure :D

Sali boti, Sali chicken, they have rice things and sweets too.. amazing cuisine !

-------------------------------------------

Parsi Sali Boti (mutton or chicken) , always served with extra thin cut fries as a garnish

1668403468186.png

You Gujju or what ?

Nope

No compare with Rajasthan pls

Comparison was only to the extent that both are mostly dry states and that means that besan is quite common in the cuisines for making dry snacks (snakes, LOL).

Gujrat is also historic home to the Parsis, they're no daalkhors for sure

I was in Gujarat for 2 months on a project and honestly its not easy to get decent non veg food there. I had to buy even eggs from a hole in the wall kind of place in a run down neighbourhood and I felt that people around are stating at me. When we were leaving back for Mumbai after the project got over, my colleague and I decided to pack some non veg food for the night train journey from the station which had a fair bit of meat serving eateries. When we started eating inside the train, everyone was staring at us and we had to close the curtains.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom