What's new

Indian food thread

I agree on the historic attachment, though I would say beef eating for Hindus in Bengal is not the norm but I do know a lot who do(it's usually buffalo meat). You'll find even Bengali Brahmins sparing none of the known non veg dishes, which would be awkward to see for sometime from rest of India.
The pork taboo is definitely due to islamic influence, but is a shame since it's so damn good, bring me those pork ribs mate. :D Have had the best in northeast and goa.

Agree that it's not a norm in Bengal, the correct words would be 'tolerated', or 'occasionally enjoyed'. Among hardcore Bong commies or left liberal kinds, I have observed that eating beef is also a sort of defiance of the system.

I guess historic food habits are hard to change. It's like Hindus in Kerala and Bengal eating beef.

Interestingly, pork is not considering clean even by most Hindus, though not as a religious diktat, but I guess centuries of Muslims shunning it on the same grounds has had its effect. Here pork is eaten mainly by Christians, lower castes or by North Easterners. In an Indian city, pork shops are usually located in the poorest neighbourhoods and meat shops in other areas will sell mainly chicken, mutton and fish. When my parents first found out I had eaten pork, they were aghast. My dad was extremely upset.

Hindus who live on the edge of forests in South India will occasionally hunt and eat wild boar though.

Here in Assam & North-east in particular, both beef & pork are not a taboo at all. Interestingly enough, the concept of untouchables (Dalits or Harijans etc.) or dowry system are also non-existent here. Coincidence?

My fav food of all time has to be Gitthey a Pakistani smoked Sausage made in Chitral, it’s truly a unique mix between pepperoni and frankfurters.
What kind of meat is used in these?

exploring flavours like music is a magical experience.
100%. To borrow a sentiment from the excellent movie Cheeni Kum, where Amitabh's character tells Tabu that food is the only thing that appeals to multiple senses - taste, sight, smell and touch. I often visit professional chefs and try to understand from them what ingredient or technique brings that X-factor in a certain dish.

What kinds of Dhaba food is popular in India?
Dhaba food is synonymous with North Indian food - Daal, rotis cooked in Tandoor, vegetables, chicken and mutton curries. Uniformly with excessive oil. Less hygiene is desirable. Extremely sanitised kind of Dhabas don't appeal to me.

Here in Assam & North-east in particular, both beef & pork are not a taboo at all. Interestingly enough, the concept of untouchables (Dalits or Harijans etc.) or dowry system are also non-existent here. Coincidence?
I think your CM is a Brahmin right? Is it similar to Bengal as in all non veg is present in their cuisine?

What kind of meat is used in these?

100%. To borrow a sentiment from the excellent movie Cheeni Kum, where Amitabh's character tells Tabu that food is the only thing that appeals to multiple senses - taste, sight, smell and touch. I often visit professional chefs and try to understand from them what ingredient or technique brings that X-factor in a certain dish.

Dhaba food is synonymous with North Indian food - Daal, rotis cooked in Tandoor, vegetables, chicken and mutton curries. Uniformly with excessive oil. Less hygiene is desirable. Extremely sanitised kind of Dhabas don't appeal to me.
Ghittey vary from cook to cook, mainly ingredients include either yak meat or urial = a mountain sheep, and if you’re in luck even Venison.

Although use of venison is on the decline.

What kinds of Dhaba food is popular in India?
Daal Makhni/roti for the most part.. most of north India highways you get the regulation tandoori tikkas/paneer, naans etc

Also what makes a huge difference is that the rural folk most times use free range/jungli chicken as opposed to farm bred on steroids ones most places :(

A basic salt pepper grilled/tandoor'd true free range murgi > some fancy expensive tandoor in the heart of Delhi/Mumbai every single time.

^just a small area of middle-north India but, you move south or east, cuisine starts to change quite drastically.

I have observed that eating beef is also a sort of defiance of the system.
lmao, so true.. seen it plenty too.. k kisi ko pata lag gya ki you voted for BJP, and then they strut around going "oh look, you lowly bhakt.. I'm got this Asamese (or whatever) beef curry here" :rolleyes:

1668409708977.png

and I'm like, ok, gib some !

its weird how politically polarized people are now about everything.

lmao, so true.. seen it plenty too.. k kisi ko pata lag gya ki you voted for BJP, and then they strut around going "oh look, you lowly bhakt.. I'm got this Asamese (or whatever) beef curry here" :rolleyes:

View attachment 896434

and I'm like, ok, gib some !

its weird how politically polarized people are now about everything.
Times change. Shiv Sena is now wooing Marathi Muslims. Apparently Tambda Rassa is thicker than Cow Cola

I think your CM is a Brahmin right? Is it similar to Bengal as in all non veg is present in their cuisine?

The present one is Brahmin and yes, that is another unique thing here. Our brahmins also eat non-veg. May be not all non-veg, but all of them eat fish & eggs and most of them eat mutton.

Earlier CM was of a tribal indigenous community called Sonowal. We even had a Muslim CM in the 80s.

Til Diya Murgi (Chicken Cooked with Black Sesame)

“Til ” or black sesame is widely used in Assamese cuisine. It substituted oil in earlier days. This particular chicken dish is cooked with grinded paste of black sesame seeds. Minimal oil is used to cook this. Ginger, garlic and raw chillies are the only spices added. This dish goes great with rice. Another must try traditional Assamese dish.
1668411495530.png

Last edited:
Kadaknath Chicken anyone? I have never eaten this and never will. Looks like it is grown in Count Dracula's dungeons.

images (1).jpeg

indian food ... tastes and smells funny

thank God for muslims for bringing in great food to the subcontinent

No one talk about the stench in Indian's houses, why your houses sucks of Spic smell, which makes you vomit!!
I had some South Indians rented the house next door, they used to cook in the evening, my Lord the smell used to fill my house, so much that it was unbelievable and unbearable. After a while we could feel and smell a lingerring bad odour in our house too, I hated it.
Here in the UK, mostly Gujratis, Punjabis and now South Indians in big numbers. When you enter their houses, you could smell a foul smell all over the place. Why!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom