What's new

The "X" Rated R & D

Friends and fellow استہزا کنان (how do you say that in English?) of Indians' pronunciations,

We old-school Urdugoan too mispronounce Hindi words in ways that would leave them pulling their hair out. New guys who've been fed on a daily dose of bwood will not, fortunately or not! A few examples:

Our pronumciation Their real pronunciation
mandar ...............................mandir
sansikrat..............................sanskrit
barhaman.............................brahmin
panDat............................... panDit
siri lanka...............................shri lanka
etc

and the forum favorite:
bhaarati...............................bhaaratya, however this one's simply a matter of different linguistic conventions.

The thread starter perhaps doesn't know the pronunciation of the words.

Chhod (छोड़, چھوڈ) is how it is pronounced in Hindi, not chhor (छोर, چھوڑ).

Urdu transliteration is from google. I can't read it.

Hindi/Urdu is not the language of any of the provinces of Pakistan.

it's the national language of Pakistan

Funny to see their pretensions when they are using our language in the first place!

The Urdu we speak is purely our own. I've heard your Bihari and Deccan Urdu speakers and to be honest with you, i look down upon them for also bastardizing a language. Kind of like you hindi speakers

I am not sure Afghan tribals are known for their command of Urdu language.

me neither....but Pakistanis --which includes Pakhtuns like myself --have good command of the language for the most part. Especially now, due to media entertainment and internal migrations. On trips to Lahore people will know I am not native, partly due to pronunciation but also due to appearance.

but language is a means for communication....as long as you get the job done and the message is conveyed, that's all that matters

it's just sad to see that these hindustanis ruin a good language with their eccentric ways of talking.....but that's just my opinion. You could say same thing about me.

Al Pakistani comedians use a funny accent when they tell all those Pathan jokes. ;)

all south indians HATE to speak hindi or marathi...at least in Pakistan, we dont have such complexes existing. Pakhtuns or Sindhis dont mind speaking Urdu. And I've even met Punjabis, Azad Kashmiris and others who speak better Pakhto than I do (true story) :)

Kindly read the POV, we are talking about the written and not the spoken dialect and it certainly isn't a typo error. It seems to be the practice in some cases hence the two example i have quoted earlier.

yeh I realized that after i posted...

Transliteration is correct as u wanted it to be,,, but still چهوڈ is NOT pronounced as chood,,, it would be more like choodHhh but English doesn't have the alphabets to write correct sound,,, & above that the singer was pronuncing it as (& in indian movies we hear) چهوڑ(chooRh) NOT چهوڈ

it's the national language of Pakistan

But still not the mother tongue of any Paksitanis other than the Mohajirs.

You can't claim to speak it better than the people who were born into the language as a mother tongue.

Urdu is Hindi mixed with some Persian/Arabic words. It is not spoken natively anywhere in the world except India.

In Pakistan it was adapted as a national language, just as we use English as an official language.

It will be funny if we start claiming to be better English speakers than the natives.

The Urdu we speak is purely our own. I've heard your Bihari and Deccan Urdu speakers and to be honest with you, i look down upon them for also bastardizing a language. Kind of like you hindi speakers

Hindi/Urdu (Hindi plus some Persian Arabic words) is an Indian language. We have an Indian version of English. Doesn't mean we start calling it "purely our own"!

me neither....but Pakistanis --which includes Pakhtuns like myself --have good command of the language for the most part. Especially now, due to media entertainment and internal migrations. On trips to Lahore people will know I am not native, partly due to pronunciation but also due to appearance.

By Afghan tribals, I means Pukhtuns only. They are called Afghans, aren't they?

I didn't mean Afghanistanis.

Yes, you have command but to claim more knowledge than native speakers is funny.

but language is a means for communication....as long as you get the job done and the message is conveyed, that's all that matters

OK. As you say.

it's just sad to see that these hindustanis ruin a good language with their eccentric ways of talking.....but that's just my opinion. You could say same thing about me.

Its our language and its up to us what we do with it.

We don't mind you using it but that's about it.

all south indians HATE to speak hindi or marathi...at least in Pakistan, we dont have such complexes existing. Pakhtuns or Sindhis dont mind speaking Urdu. And I've even met Punjabis who speak better Pakhto than I do (true story)

You don't simply know much.

I have lived in South for years and I never needed to learn the local languages. I could manage everywhere with Hindi and English.

Even people from different South Indian states use Hindi sometimes to talk to each other. Its only a small number that has an issue with Hindi and that too it is mostly political.

You know the collections of Hindi movies from Southern territories?

Why would they speak Marathi anyway? ;) Marathi is a regional language. You use it only if you go to the state of Maharashtra.

Frankly you guys know little of India. Really little.

yeh I realized that after i posted...

Transliteration is correct as u wanted it to be,,, but still چهوڈ is NOT pronounced as chood,,, it would be more like choodHhh but English doesn't have the alphabets to write correct sound,,, & above that the singer was pronuncing it as (& in indian movies we hear) چهوڑ(chooRh) NOT چهوڈ

Its a Hindi song. So we know better how it is pronounced and how to transliterate to English.

Won't you agree?

BTW, I agree that some sounds don't transliterate well. It still has the "d" sound, not the "r" sound. So this is a better spelling if you want it spoken the right way.

But still not the mother tongue of any Paksitanis other than the Mohajirs

spell the name of the country correctly, or you'll be out of here faster than you can tie your shoe laces

Urdu is Hindi mixed with some Persian/Arabic words. It is not spoken natively anywhere in the world except India.

i wonder why your people are always awestruck when Pakistani poets and musicians sing in the language.......

It will be funny if we start claiming to be better English speakers than the natives.

people of the region who are educated have a much better command of the language than the britishers or americans do; no doubt in my mind about it

Hindi/Urdu (Hindi plus some Persian Arabic words) is an Indian language. We have an Indian version of English. Doesn't mean we start calling it "purely our own"!

hindi and Urdu are similar, but different at the same time........dont insult us now

By Afghan tribals, I means Pukhtuns only. They are called Afghans, aren't they

I didn't mean Afghanistanis.

people from Afghanistan = Afghans....wtf is ''afghanistany'' :what:

there are many tribes in Afghanistan, not just Pakhtun tribes. Even these basic things you don't know?

I was referring to Pakistani Pakhtuns such as myself.

Yes, you have command but to claim more knowledge than native speakers is funny.

again, refer to above

Its our language and its up to us what we do with it.

yeah, you sound like damn fools...but that's my own view.

I have lived in South for years and I never needed to learn the local languages. I could manage everywhere with Hindi and English.

we all know about the language and regional complexes in your country; though its not our problem

Even people from different South Indian states use Hindi sometimes to talk to each other. Its only a small number that has an issue with Hindi and that too it is mostly political.

it isnt even north vs. south. Non-marathi speakers (mostly dirt-cheap wage labourers) havent always had it so easy in ''maharashtra''

You know the collections of Hindi movies from Southern territories?

i dont know much about hindustani entertainment....though Raj Kapoor is a legend, i admire some of his older works.

Frankly you guys know little of India. Really little.

cant argue with that; i dont need to know about it since i dont live there....i'm just saying that Windjammer brought up a good point...

when you people talk, you sound strange. And i re-emphasize --personal opinion.

i guess when you have a loose federation of states combined into one large country, such complexities and nuances would exist....

Windjummed....how about something enlightening and ''bojitiv''

:lol::rofl:

Its "d" as in dumb ;) , not as in "the" that probably caused some unwarranted excitement.

Perhaps you can enlighten us as to how many version there are even in the Hindi dialect, as there seems to be "CHOR", "CHHOD" "CHOD".......

YouTube - chod gaye balam

Last edited by a moderator:
r u capable of understanding what we indians are trying to say....

if we speak urdu in a wrong way..then u can correct us..

but hindi is not ur mother tongue...so Who the hell r u tell us how to speak hindi..?

u r whole point of the thread is to insult indians which is the only thing u r capable of..so first go and check ur psyche from the nearest hospital..

But the irony is what u call as Hindi is actually NOT "hindi"...
U just speak urdu with some hindi words in it & misname it as "hindi",,,
Actual outside-of-Delhi hindi dialect is different from what u hear in indian movies,,, it's urdu in indian movies NOT hindi... Despite ur desperate attempts to curb urdu since before independence u could NOT rid urself of urdu...

Standard Hindi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
History

Main article: History of Hindustani
The dialect upon which Standard Hindi is based is khariboli, the vernacular of the Delhi region. This dialect acquired linguistic prestige in the Mughal Empire (17th century) and became known as Urdu, "the language of the court." (See History of Hindustani for the history of this period.) After independence, the Government of India set about standardizing Hindi as a separate language from Urdu, instituting the following conventions:

standardization of grammar: In 1954, the Government of India set up a committee to prepare a grammar of Hindi; The committee's report was released in 1958 as "A Basic Grammar of Modern Hindi"
standardization of the orthography, using the Devanagari script, by the Central Hindi Directorate of the Ministry of Education and Culture to bring about uniformity in writing, to improve the shape of some Devanagari characters, and introducing diacritics to express sounds from other languages.
standardization of vocabulary, replacing most of the more learned Persian loan words with new coinages from Sanskrit. (See next.)

that's the thing......i've seen clips of some of their ''reality shows'' and some of their musicals (which they call films) --- sounds more like Urdu....but i've spoken Urdu to hindi speakers (not gora types, but fresh of the boat) and it was annoying since i had to repeat some words to them and even use English at times as replacement

maybe they were just deaf; but i have very powerful ears and i notice that hindi is quite a different language even though we do indeed understand it. I may sound immature, but this is just how i feel on this matter.

they copy our Qawwali, and now they copy our national language and dialect

spell the name of the country correctly, or you'll be out of here faster than you can tie your shoe laces

Lol. Did that misspelling touch some nerve. ;)

i wonder why your people are always awestruck when Pakistani poets and musicians sing in the language.......

Well, delusions can't be helped.

I know it is the Indian entertainment industry that rules Pakistan.

people of the region who are educated have a much better command of the language than the britishers or americans do; no doubt in my mind about it

It's still their language. That's the point.

hindi and Urdu are similar, but different at the same time........dont insult us now

I am not talking of Pushto. You have just adapted our language. That remains a fact.

people from Afghanistan = Afghans....wtf is ''afghanistany'' :what:

there are many tribes in Afghanistan, not just Pakhtun tribes. Even these basic things you don't know?

I was referring to Pakistani Pakhtuns such as myself.

All Pukhtuns are also called Afghans. Even your NWFP was proposed to be named "Afghania" or something for that reason.

In fact, try reading any literature before 1900s, you will always see the word "Afghan" for the Pushtuns. That word probably became more popular much later.

again, refer to above

Replied already. It is a foreign language as far as Pakistan is considered.

Any language that is not the native tongue of 93% of Pakistanis (only of 7% Mohajirs) is a foreign language. It is no different from English for you. Only it came from India, rather than Britannia.

Too difficult to understand this?

yeah, you sound like damn fools...but that's my own view.

The compliments are reciprocated. Just my own view.

we all know about the language and regional complexes in your country; though its not our problem

it isnt even north vs. south. Non-marathi speakers (mostly dirt-cheap wage labourers) havent always had it so easy in ''maharashtra''

You really think they are worse than what Afgans (or Pushtuns if you insist) are doing in Karachi or any city of Pakistan.

Are they killed in the hundreds randomly by the ruling party (like you Pukhtoons are) that is part of every government, even army ones?

Do they say: "We will serve you, we are a serving class, just call us Khan Sahab"? This is from a Pukhtoon representative who said that Pukhtoon are the serving class (dirt cheap menial labor) in Karachi who serve the others, they just want some respect by being called "Khan Sahab".

Morale of the story: Apne ghar main pahale jhaanko. ;)

i dont know much about hindustani entertainment....though Raj Kapoor is a legend, i admire some of his older works.

You are not expected to know anything about Indian entertainment industry. I would be surprised if you did that.

Same as I know little about yours.

cant argue with that; i dont need to know about it since i dont live there....i'm just saying that Windjammer brought up a good point...

when you people talk, you sound strange. And i re-emphasize --personal opinion.

i guess when you have a loose federation of states combined into one large country, such complexities and nuances would exist....

You are welcome to have your opinion. You can guess the value we give to it. ;)

Perhaps you can enlighten us as to how many version there are even in the Hindi dialect, as there seems to be "CHOR", "CHHOD" "CHOD".......

YouTube - chod gaye balam

Someone didn't do a good job of writing the correct English spelling!

There is no good way to faithfully represent the sounds anyway. Different people will spell it differently.

I won't obsess about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's the thing......i've seen clips of some of their ''reality shows'' and some of their musicals (which they call films) --- sounds more like Urdu....but i've spoken Urdu to hindi speakers (not gora types, but fresh of the boat) and it was annoying since i had to repeat some words to them and even use English at times as replacement

maybe they were just deaf; but i have very powerful ears and i notice that hindi is quite a different language even though we do indeed understand it. I may sound immature, but this is just how i feel on this matter.

they copy our Qawwali, and now they copy our national language and dialect

But the irony is what u call as Hindi is actually NOT "hindi"...
U just speak urdu with some hindi words in it & misname it as "hindi",,,
Actual outside-of-Delhi hindi dialect is different from what u hear in indian movies,,, it's urdu in indian movies NOT hindi... Despite ur desperate attempts to curb urdu since before independence u could NOT rid urself of urdu...

Standard Hindi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is Urdu? Which part of the world did it come from.

Where else is it spoken as a native language except India?

Urdu was just some foreign words mixed in the existing North Indian language (not from any Pakistani province!). It has the structure, grammar and the vast majority of vocabulary from Hindi, just mixed with some foreign words and started using Arabic as the script.

You guys have obvious delusions.

You just want to make some claims to Indian entertainment Industry as your own is an utter failure.

It takes the form of that artificial Hindi vs. Urdu thingy and you make claims to Urdu when it is not your language in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom