What's new

The "X" Rated R & D

I don't understand.
On the one hand, you are saying that there is no 'z' sound in the script.
But then you say that the dot denotes 'z' rather than 'j'.

So, there is a 'z' sound, but people tend to gloss over the dot and pronouce the 'z' as 'j', is that it?

Its more of an addition made to include the "z" sound in Hindi. As far as my knowledge goes, it wasn't inherent in Hindi Devnagri script. Hope this helps.

Like the scripts of all languages, the Devnagari script too works with a finite set of sounds, and so many sounds that occur in foreign languages cannot be represented in Devanagari. Two common sounds of English that cannot be represented in Hindi are the "z" sound as in zoo, dizzy, etc., and the "o" sound as in doctor. The closest sound in Hindi for "z" is the consonant ज(j), which is often used to indicate the "z" sound. Sometimes a dot is added below it (ज़) to distinguish it from the normal ज(j) sound. For the "o" sound a new vowel has recently been added to the alphabet of Devanagari, which looks like this - ऑ. However, these symbols are as yet not universally understood and should be sparingly used. The recommended practice is to adjust the pronunciation of foreign sounds to fit into the normal set of sounds available in the Devanagari script. So instead of writing ऑस्ट्रिय (Austria) or ज़ांबिया (Zambia) one should write आस्ट्रिया or जांबिया.

English to Hindi Translation

The only part I wish to reply is about my claim of 86%. I was off by 3%, the real figure is 83%.
Off topic, but none the less, I suggest you hold these figures close to your heart, for they will forever remain there.
Regardless of credibility of the source, what is said and what's practised are two different kettle of Fish, even if many in Pakistan resort to the idea, touch wood, no case has come to light, on the other hand, many in India may want to do away with the Caste menace, yet it thrives openly.

The rest seems superfluous to me. You are presuming to tell us how we should write Hindi words in English! Sounds funny to me.
How ironic, after going full circle in soliciting the subject, it suddenly has become funny to you. Again, it was a point in question, as this doesn't seem to be an overall practice.
Your obsession with the "c" word is bordering on perversion as far as I can see. Carry on buddy.
There is a fine line between digesting and digressing, it would entail to perversion, if one was debating on Microsoft's Memo to Indian call centre workers, and not your entertainment industry, which after all, according to you rules the Pakistani lives as well.

is that what you told the tamil eelamis :woot:

don't mix ''z'' with ''j''

Nope we did not tell our bro's across the canal how to speak Tamil. We are proud of the variety in our Lang.

Hindi Sanskritized Devanagari text does not have quite a few sounds that are found in Urdu. That is why you see most Indians butchering many words of Arabic/Persian background. For example: Hindi Sanskrit Devanagari script does not have the "sh" sound. They pronounce "sh" as "s". Instead of pronouncing "shoe" as "shoe", they pronounce it as "su". There are many other examples as well.

This comes from ignorance. You are not expected to know Devanagari and so also not expected to make such comments.

What does the letter "श" mean? How is it pronounced?

Indians claiming Urdu to be foreign language?

Bull shi , all most all the young generation of Punjab, speak Urdu more frequently then Punjabi, in Schools, Colleges, Universities, workplace etc etc

Same case in Sindh, NWFP, Baluchistan.

Only when you go to Villages, or go in to Interior areas of Provinces, you will see People speaking their native languages more.

Remember The Great Creator Of " Saray Jaha Say Acha Hindustaa Humara" The Great Sir Iqbal, His ancestors migrated from Azad Kashmir, And settled in to Punjab Region, Sialkot, he later migrated to Lahore

He Chose to do Poetry in Persian and Urdu? Why? Why didnt he do that in Punjabi Or Azad Kashmiri Dialect?

Because The Persian and Urdu Is the Symbolic language of Indian Subcontinent Muslims.

Our forefathers spoke Urdu, Then How Urdu can be the Foriegn language of Pakistan?

India has the world's largest English speaking population more than UK itself. So is English Native to India ? :rolleyes:

There is not "Z" sounding alphabet in Devnagri.

Nor in Tamil , Malayalam.

And its funny that you guys are actually debating - If someone came up to me and complained/pontificated about how I speak Tamil, I would just show my third finger and ask them to move on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom