What's new

The making of a megacity: how Dhaka transformed in 50 years of Bangladesh

Lol. Bangladesh is more urbanized. Good joke.

Overall Urban % is 38.2% for Bangladesh in 2020, with an annual urbanization rate of 3.17% while India has an urban population of 34.9%, and has an annual urbanization rate of 2.37%. In fact, only Bhutan and Maldives, both with a population of less than a million have a greater urban % than Bangladesh in the region, while having lower annual urbanization rates. Is there a shortage of comedians in India, that even real data is funny now?

Bangladesh has only Dhaka for a city but even that needs special adjectives to describe the grossness. Bongos need to atleast manage their only city.
We have plenty of cities.
How many cities you have over 20 million people and over 300 billion Dollar GDP PPP? Only Delhi and Mumbai are in this category. kolkata, chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Pune these are smaller cities than Dhaka, both in population and economic size. In fact Chattogram in Bangladesh is closer to these cities. India have 8 times the population of Bangladesh, so to be comparable with Bangladesh, it should had 8 cities over 20 million people and another 8 cities with over 6 million people. But would you find 16 such cities in India? Obviously not. In the last 60 years, Bangladesh urbanized much more quickly than India. In 1960, India had urban population 18 percent out of total, while Bangladesh had just 5 percent of out of total. Now in 2019, India has 34 percent population urban but Bangladesh's climbed to 37 percent. Besides Dhaka and Chattogram, we have plenty of cities and towns in the range of 100k-1 million people.

Last edited:
Given a chance I would always give Dhaka a miss. Other then 2-3 posh localities its miserable.
Almost no public transport, gets like hell during monsoon, unnecessarily expensive,
IMO its worse than Howrah in West Bengal.

I like the city of Chattagram a lot. Have it been in India I would have driven long weekends for a holiday.
Other places/small town are also quite livable , but not Dhaka.

I believe BD needs a more planned city for her capital.

Last edited:
How many cities you have over 20 million people and over 300 billion Dollar GDP PPP? Only Delhi and Mumbai are in this category. kolkata, chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Pune these are smaller cities than Dhaka, both in population and economic size. In fact Chattogram in Bangladesh is closer to these cities. india have 8 times the population of Bangladesh, so to be comparable with Bangladesh, it should had 8 cities over 20 million people and another 8 cities with over 6 million people. But would you find 16 such cities in India? Obviously not. In the last 60 years, Bangladesh urbanized much more quickly than India. In 1960, India had urban population 18 percent out of total, while Bangladesh had just 5 percent of out of total. Now in 2019, India has 34 percent population urban but Bangladesh's climbed to 37 percent. Besides Dhaka and Chattogram, we have plenty of cities and towns in the range of 100k-1 million people.
Firstly, Cities are characterised by infrastructure and not population. India has many cities with much better infra than your Dhaka. All South and West Indian cities have much better city living standards than Dhaka. But still this thread is about Dhaka not Indian cities.

Overall Urban % is 38.2% for Bangladesh in 2020, with an annual urbanization rate of 3.17% while India has an urban population of 34.9%, and has an annual urbanization rate of 2.37%. In fact, only Bhutan and Maldives, both with a population of less than a million have a greater urban % than Bangladesh in the region, while having lower annual urbanization rates. Is there a shortage of comedians in India, that even real data is funny now?
India is lot bigger. India is not a small state with 167 million people stuffed to the brim. I wouldn't be surprised if Bangladesh becomes 80% urbanized as you have only Dhaka for anyone to make a decent economic living. But does it make any happy or healthy living?

Hyderabad with 7 million population has 70km of metro line. When is Chittogram with similar population getting one? Don't just harp urbanisation when it has no meaning in real sense.

Firstly, Cities are characterised by infrastructure and not population. India has many cities with much better infra than your Dhaka. All South and West Indian cities have much better city living standards than Dhaka. But still this thread is about Dhaka not Indian cities.
India is lot bigger. India is not a small state with 167 million people stuffed to the brim. I wouldn't be surprised if Bangladesh becomes 80% urbanized as you have only Dhaka for anyone to make a decent economic living. But does it make any happy or healthy living?

Hyderabad with 7 million population has 70km of metro line. When is Chittogram with similar population getting one? Don't just harp urbanisation when it has no meaning in real sense.
India's development is a lot more lopsided than Bangladesh. You have giant and poor Uttar Pradesh, as populous as all the Dravidian speaking South Indian states combined(most developed part of India), You have Bihar, worse poverty than Sub Saharan Africa, have more population than Maharashtra. I am sparing your other BIMARU states. Even within the undivided Andhra Pradesh, your former CM Chandrababu Naidu was accused of concentrating only on Hyderabad and neglecting rural Telugu. For that, he even suffered electoral defeat although urban teckies called him the 'CEO CM'. So 70 km metro line in Hyderabad looks less amusing.

Our developmental priorities are different and we started from a different base from a different time period. So you can not compare Indian infrastructure development with Bangladesh on one to one basis.

Last edited:

Bangladesh is the size of 1 Indian state. India has 36 states. So you should have 36 cities with GDP of Dhaka or bigger. But you don't.

As someone else mentioned, you only have a few cities with large GDP, while all the rest are just glorified slums.

Anyways I am no fan of Dhaka or any Indian cities.

South Asians need to learn town planning. All major cities in the region are shitholes for poor/middle classes with some oasis sprinkled randomly for the super rich.

1616833094250.png

BANGALORE
1616833442740.png

GURUGRAM
some of my favourites 😍

Last edited:
India's development is a lot more lopsided than Bangladesh. You have giant and poor Uttar Pradesh, as populous as all the Dravidian speaking South Indian states combined(most developed part of India), You have Bihar, worse poverty than Sub Saharan Africa, have more population than Maharashtra. I am sparing your other BIMARU states. Even within the undivided Andhra Pradesh, your former CM Chandrababu Naidu was accused of concentrating only on Hyderabad and neglecting rural Telugu. For that, he even suffered electoral defeat although urban teckies called him the 'CEO CM'. So 70 km metro line in Hyderabad looks less amusing.

Our developmental priorities are different and we started from a different base from a different time period. So you can not compare Indian infrastructure development with Bangladesh on one to one basis.
Come to Visakhapatnam or Vijayawada and say that. I once visited Dhaka in 2015. I don't have adjectives, I felt that is similar to any of our Bihar cities.

All South and West Indian cities have much better city living standards than Dhaka
Come to Visakhapatnam or Vijayawada and say that. I once visited Dhaka in 2015. I don't have adjectives, I felt that is similar to any of our Bihar cities.
It is your right to feel anything you perceive but that does not mean those feelings are right. You are acting as if India is some kind of prosperous country unfortunately stuck in a poor neighborhood. Forget about Vishakapatnam, Vijayawada or Bihari cities, look at your bests of the bests, how much they have 'much better living standards than Dhaka'.

Isn't Chennai a South Indian city? The socalled 'Detroit of India'?

Isn't Bengaluru a South Indian city? 'Silicon valley' of India?

Isn't Mumbai the financial capital and richest city of India?

Isn't Ahmedabad a Western Indian city and the center of Gujarat Model?

Isn't Delhi the capital of an impending superpower?

What we see? Indian cities are on another level than poor, miserable Dhaka, Right?

Last edited:

You asked for the data, I gave you the data. If you want comparable statistics, then compare with West Bengal for e.g., which has a lower population than Bangladesh bur similar density, but still nowhere as urbanized. Most Indian states are like that, barring a few actually mainly in South India.

In Chittagong, traffic wasn't a problem till the 2010s. Besides, there's an electric circular railway that gets you to places. There's also plans for a metro rail already being made, with implementation very soon. The city had an official population of just 3 million in the 2011 census, and back then there was no need of it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom