What's new

The Indian women calling themselves ‘proudly single’

Neither side likes to hear it but mamla sem 2 sem ka hi hai.

Langday bhaiji ne sahi bola... you know it too, heart of hearts me.
Well what is it then? On one hand u guys make grandiose claims that u r a superpower and Pakistan shouldn't even be spoken of in the same sentence when talking about India...
...on the other hand u guys are constantly obsessed with Pakistan...dragging it into every topic and discussion.

Median age of India is 28 years , if we are old what would you say about east Asian countries like Korea Japan and China which is almost 40 lol

28.4 and you do realise India is still a developing country, South Korea isn't and China is years ahead.

Well what is it then? On one hand u guys make grandiose claims that u r a superpower and Pakistan shouldn't even be spoken of in the same sentence when talking about India...
...on the other hand u guys are constantly obsessed with Pakistan...dragging it into every topic and discussion.
Fir wohi baat ?

Which group of youguize am I even in ?

Super power thing is cringe af, only the lowest iq talk like that..

I, here, be a realist..

@waz - indian population is one of the youngest (50% < 25 and 65% < 35) acc to Wikipedia. What do you mean "already very old"?

Compared to developing nations it's old. You need a population far younger to sustain growth, especially how large India's population is and the massively skewed sex ratio, then add a falling a birthrate.
I'm surprised you guys know little about this when population experts in India are ringing alarm bells.

India’s elderly population (aged 60 and above) is projected to touch 194 million in 2031 from 138 million in 2021, a 41 per cent increase over a decade, according to the National Statistical Office (NSO)’s Elderly in India 2021
Flagging concerns around an ageing population and stressing the need for India to plan for a changing population structure, the report said there will be 93 million males and 101 million females in 2031 — up from 67 million males and 71 million females in 2021.

Second, ageing in India is happening at a super-quick pace. While the older population took 110 years and 80 years to double its share (from 7% to 14%) in France and Sweden respectively, it is projected to take only 20 years in India to double. The increase of our 60+ population in a 50-year time span, i.e. from 2011 to 2061, is expected to be more than 320 million.

Most single ladies in my circle are friends of my wife. Funny how that works. And are more like elder friends to my kids than aunts. @waz you posted the link. After your clickbait alert on the other thread. Request you to follow it up with your own views as well.

I don't understand your post. I've already made my views clear i.e. such trends are unhealthy in light of India's demographic changes.

Fir wohi baat ?

Which group of youguize am I even in ?

Super power thing is cringe af, only the lowest iq talk like that..

I, here, be a realist..
By "you guys" I mean Indian state narrative. U or him may be the few odd ones out. Indian leaders(ppl who represent in some way, shape, or form...be it ur politicians, elected leaders, generals, diplomats, etc)...are always shouting some sort of nonsense that portrays India as a "superior" nation in some way.

Compared to developing nations it's old. You need a population far younger to sustain growth, especially how large India's population is and the massively skewed sex ratio, then add a falling a birthrate.
I'm surprised you guys know little about this when population experts in India are ringing alarm bells.

India’s elderly population (aged 60 and above) is projected to touch 194 million in 2031 from 138 million in 2021, a 41 per cent increase over a decade, according to the National Statistical Office (NSO)’s Elderly in India 2021
Flagging concerns around an ageing population and stressing the need for India to plan for a changing population structure, the report said there will be 93 million males and 101 million females in 2031 — up from 67 million males and 71 million females in 2021.

Second, ageing in India is happening at a super-quick pace. While the older population took 110 years and 80 years to double its share (from 7% to 14%) in France and Sweden respectively, it is projected to take only 20 years in India to double. The increase of our 60+ population in a 50-year time span, i.e. from 2011 to 2061, is expected to be more than 320 million.

I don't understand your post. I've already made my views clear i.e. such trends are unhealthy in light of India's demographic changes.

Oh ok. Too much of a burden for a single man or woman to take on their own single shoulders though. Future of a continent of one and a half billion others.

@-=virus=- @SIPRA paajee I think I figured out the mystery of the missing notifications.

If a guy is replying to us as a multi post, and our part is not the first, to fir notification nahin aa raha hai.

Sreemoyee Piu Kundu

Sreemoyee Piu Kundu is author and founder of Status Single, a community for urban single women in India
By Geeta Pandey
BBC News, Delhi

In India, girls have traditionally been raised to be good wives and mothers and the most important life goal for them has been marriage.
But a large number of women are now charting their independent solitary path by choosing to remain single.
On Sunday, I attended a lunch gathering of two dozen women at a Caribbean lounge in south Delhi. The room was filled with excited chatter and laughter.
The women were all members of Status Single - a Facebook community for urban single women in India.
"Let's stop describing ourselves as widows, divorcees or unmarried," Sreemoyee Piu Kundu, author and founder of the community, told the gathering. "Let's just call ourselves proudly single."
The women clapped and cheered.
In a country that's often described as being "obsessed with marriage", a lot of stigma still surrounds singlehood.
In rural India, single women are often seen as a burden by their families - the never married have little agency and thousands of widows are banished to holy towns such as Vrindavan and Varanasi.
Ms Kundu and the women in the Delhi pub I meet are different. Mostly from middle class backgrounds, they include teachers, doctors, lawyers, professionals, entrepreneurs, activists, writers and journalists. Some are separated or divorced or widowed, others never married.
Widows of Vrindavan

India is home to 71.4 million single women which includes never married, divorced and widowed women
The wealthy urban single women are increasingly being recognised as an economic opportunity - they're wooed by banks, jewellery makers, consumer goods companies and travel agencies.

Single women are also finding representation in popular culture - Bollywood films such as Queen and Piku and web shows such as Four More Shots Please with single female protagonists have done commercially well.
And in October, the Supreme Court ruling that all women, including those not married, had equal rights to abortion was hailed as a recognition of single women's rights by the top court.
But despite these welcome changes, society's attitudes remain rigid and, as Ms Kundu says, being single is not easy even for the affluent and they are judged all the time too.
"I've faced discrimination and humiliation as a single woman. When I was looking to rent an apartment in Mumbai, members of a housing society asked me questions like, Do you drink? Are you sexually active?"
She's met gynaecologists who've been like "nosy neighbours" and a few years ago when her mother put an ad on an elite matrimonial site on her behalf, she met a man who asked her "within the first 15 minutes if I was a virgin"?
"Apparently it's a question single women are routinely asked," she adds.

But single shaming doesn't make sense in a country which, according to the 2011 Census, is home to 71.4 million single women - a number larger than the entire populations of Britain or France.
This was a 39% increase - from 51.2 million in 2001.
The 2021 Census has been delayed due to the Covid-19 pandemic, but Ms Kundu says that by now, "our numbers would have crossed 100 million".
Some of the increase can be explained by the fact that the age of marriage has risen in India - which means a larger number of single women in their late teens or early 20s. The numbers also include a large number of widows, attributed to the fact that women tend to live longer than men.
But, Ms Kundu says, she's seeing "many more women now who are single by choice, not just by circumstances" and it's this "changing face of singlehood" that's important to acknowledge.
"I meet a lot of women who say they are single by choice, they reject the notion of marriage because it's a patriarchal institution that's unjust to women and used to oppress them."
Sreemoyee Piu Kundu with members of Status Single, giving V for victory signs
I
V for victory signs from the members of Status Single
Her focus on single women is rooted in the discrimination her mother - widowed at 29 - faced.
"Growing up, I saw how a woman, unaccompanied by a man, was marginalised in our patriarchal, misogynistic set-up. She was unwelcome at baby showers and at a cousin's wedding, she was told to stay away from the bride since even a widow's shadow is considered inauspicious."
At the age of 44, when her mother fell in love and remarried, she again attracted the "ire of society" - "How dare a widow not be the sad, weeping, asexualised, pleasureless woman that she's supposed to be? How dare she have agency again?"
Her mother's humiliation, she says, had a profound impact on her.
"I grew up desperately wanting to get married. I believed in the fairy tale that marriage will bring acceptance and take away all my darkness."

But after two failed relationships which were abusive - physically and emotionally - and coming within a hair's breadth of getting married at 26, Ms Kundu says she realised that the traditional marriage where a woman is meant to be subservient to a man wasn't for her.
Her ideal relationship, she says, is one that's not rooted in culture, religion or community but is based on "respect, accessibility and acknowledgement".
It's a reasonable ask and an idea many single women I met on Sunday agreed with.
But India remains a largely patriarchal society where more than 90% of marriages are arranged by family and women have little say in who they marry - leave alone whether they want to marry at all.
But Bhawana Dahiya, a 44-year-old life coach from Gurugram (Gurgaon) near Delhi who's never been married, points out that things are changing and the growing numbers of single women is a cause for celebration.
"We might be a drop in the ocean, but at least there's a drop now," she says.
"The more examples we have of women being single, the better it is. Traditionally, all conversations were about the husband's career, his plans, the children's school, with little thought given to a woman's choices, but those conversations are now changing.
"We are making a dent in the universe."

Not a great trend considering India's population is already very old and with a falling birth rate.
People who were interested in this.

@langda khan
@PakFactor

I just clicked the article and saw my name but didn't see anything in the notification.

This is an exciting trend in India, considering we only saw it mainly in the west of working-class independent women. But seeing their population explosion, it's good the less they reproduce.

But it's also their own doing, and a lot can be blamed on Indian culture.

Personally I believe there is a big population of single women in Pakistan too. Just that I do not think there are close to as affluent and socially prominent and financially independent. This has been told to me by a Pakistani girl who I met on a forum such as this and became good friends with. Settled in the west now.

Personally I believe there is a big population of single women in Pakistan too. Just that I do not think there are close to as affluent and socially prominent and financially independent. This has been told to me by a Pakistani girl who I met on a forum such as this and became good friends with. Settled in the west now.
Again another BS :rofl:
Where's the evidence? Once again throwing crap in the sky hoping it sticks around

Very deranged individual

Again another BS :rofl:
Where's the evidence? Once again throwing crap in the sky hoping it sticks around

Accha. So you want me to be a creep and disclose her identity with some tangible proof in order to satisfy your little nunni ego.

No thanks. El creepo vibes getting stronger man. Still distant to Jamahir levels, but getting there in a rush.

Accha. So you want me to be a creep and disclose her identity with some tangible proof
No , just an article or any practical evidence of it
Instead of Oh I heard it from a forum member years ago
That's called anecdotal evidence also known as BS
in order to satisfy your little nunni ego.
Sorry I am not a Tyagi Pajeet like you, these are your people's physical features
No thanks. El creepo vibes getting stronger man. Still distant to Jamahir levels, but getting there in a rush.
Idc

No , just an article or any practical evidence of it
Instead of Oh I heard it from a forum member years ago
That's called anecdotal evidence also known as BS

Sorry I am not a Tyagi Pajeet like you, these are your people's physical features

Idc

Well what I've heard from her is not nice. About Pakistani society in general.

Very superficial and outward beauty dominant. Very materialistic and money oriented.

If you are a plain looking girl of modest means, without a suitably connected guardian or sponsor or male support system, you are treated as nothing in society. Less than nothing. Your status is essentially that of an acchoot.

We are significantly different. And she agrees. Wryly.

Not a great trend considering India's population is already very old and with a falling birth rate.
People who were interested in this.

If true, it's a good thing. The country suffers from massive poverty and pollution because of overpopulation.

Back
Top Bottom