What's new

Clerics in Pakistan’s Kohistan district threaten women NGO workers with forced marriages, expulsion

Kingdom come

Reaction score
Country
India
A group of religious figures outside a police station in Kohistan in a photo posted on Saturday. (Photo courtesy: Molana Karimdad/Facebook)
Short Url
Police describe the threat as a ‘non-issue,’ saying it has been highlighted on social media for no reason
A female social activist hopes the government will not let local religious leaders take law into their hands
PESHAWAR: A group of clerics in the conservative Kohistan district of Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province on Saturday threatened female employees of non-governmental organizations (NGO) not to work in the field or prepare themselves for forced marriages or expulsion from the area.
Over the years, reports have emerged that women living in Kohistan district have faced severe restrictions on their rights and freedoms. Some of them have even been subjected to violence and honor-based crimes in the region.
“If a female worker of an NGO is found roaming on the streets without a male relative, such as her brother or father, and if she is single, we will ask any local to marry her,” Mufti Ahmad Ali, one of the clerics in the area, told Arab News over the phone. “But if a female NGO worker is married then she will be expelled from the area.”
He said religious leaders had approached the police and verbally complained about NGO employees who had been spotted on streets for two consecutive days.
“Our decision is equally binding on locals, foreigners and NGO workers from other districts,” he added.
Ali said the local clerics had set various conditions for development sector organizations, saying their staff members would not be allowed to “preach their religious or preach against our religion.”
“They should respect the local culture and traditions,” he continued, “and not allow women workers to roam freely in the region.”
However, he noted there was no harm in these NGOs carrying out development work in health and education sector, though their female employees must not be seen working on the ground.
Asked about the situation, Buland Iqbal, Station House Officer (SHO) of the police precinct in the area, acknowledged that religious clerics had visited him with their complaint against NGO workers, though he expressed optimism the issue would be tackled amicably.
“It was a non-issue that has been unnecessarily highlighted on social media,” he said. “NGO workers, including female employees, are continuing to work from their offices.”
Meanwhile, Nausheen Fatima, a social activist in the province, said it was “beyond comprehension” that religious leaders were trying to prevent women from performing duties in remote areas where local communities were facing acute health and education challenges.
“This decision is extremely tragic,” she said. “I hope the government will not allow such elements to take law into their hands. It is against the basic human rights.”
Fatima said NGOs should be allowed to promote health and education among vulnerable communities.
“Religious leaders should preach peace and tranquility in society instead of doing this,” she added.

This is what RADICALS did with NGO worker Graham Staines:
On 22 January 1999, Staines attended a jungle camp in Manoharpur, which was an annual gathering for Christians in the area to congregate for a conference and discuss their beliefs in a social setting. The camp was on the border between the tribal villages of Mayurbhanj and Keonjhar, which is located within the district of Odisha. He was travelling to the village of Kendujhar with his sons, who were on a break from their schooling in the hill city of Ooty in southern India, when they decided to take a break from the journey towards the jungle camp, and elected to spend the night in Manoharpur, sleeping in the vehicle due to the severe cold at the time. His wife and daughter did not accompany them on the journey, having decided to remain behind in the town and municipality of Baripada.

A mob of about fifty people, armed with axes and other implements, attacked the vehicle while Staines and his sons were fast asleep, and set the station wagon alight, trapping them inside and burning them to death.[15]

Meanwhile this RADICAL getting shocked that people are reacting against NGOs in Pakistan when there's a demonstrated history of them being involved with foreign intelligence agencies! At least we're not BURNING THEM ALIVE like we're doing some deranged SATI ritual!
@Kingdom come Dekh, 🅱️🌊 Tanatani kuchra in action!

Last edited:
Meanwhile this RADICAL getting shocked that people are reacting against NGOs in Pakistan when there's a demonstrated history of them being involved with foreign intelligence agencies! At least we're not BURNING THEM ALIVE
forced marriages or expulsion from the area.
Is much better yes?

Also my reply isn't off-topic.
Yes an incident from 1999 is not off topic diversion from your countrys greatest people

forced marriages or expulsion from the area.
Is much better yes?
Being expelled is better than being IMMOLATED ALIVE LIKE YOU'RE A "VIDOW" GETTING THROWN INTO A FUNERAL PYRE TO APPEASE SOME RADICAL'S GOD(S), yes.

The burden of "ewidence" is on you, radical. "Prowe" I'm Hiptullha. Also my reply isn't off-topic.
Show me how this "friend" Of yours contacted you

Being expelled is better than being IMMOLATED ALIVE LIKE YOU'RE A "VIDOW" GETTING THROWN INTO A FUNERAL PYRE TO APPEASE SOME RADICAL'S GOD, yes.
Forced marriages?

Show me how this "friend" Of yours contacted you
No, I've lost contact with him, radical. Stop crying about the fact that I used to message him while the one occasion you tried to talk to him to start a fraandship, he thrashed you.

Thanks atleast I know where you stand
Why do you think being IMMOLATED ALIVE LIKE YOU'RE A "VIDOW" GETTING THROWN INTO A FUNERAL PYRE TO APPEASE SOME RADICAL'S GOD(S) is better?

No, I've lost contact with him, radical. Stop crying about the fact that I used to message him while the one occasion you tried to talk to him to start a fraandship, he thrashed you
Calling someone a derogatory slur for being gay is not thrashing but I would expect nothing more from a guy obsessed with me constantly wanting my attention

Show me one "prowe" you people are not the same person

This is what RADICALS did with NGO worker Graham Staines:

Meanwhile this RADICAL getting shocked that people are reacting against NGOs in Pakistan when there's a demonstrated history of them being involved with foreign intelligence agencies! At least we're not BURNING THEM ALIVE like we're doing some deranged SATI ritual!
@Kingdom come Dekh, 🅱️🌊 Tanatani kuchra in action!
wo convert kar ra tha logon ko

2 of the 3 dominant abrahamic groups have these most nefarious plans for India.. ki sab ko convert kar do

that's why only the reajon we are sapport Ijrael :)

is better
I don't radical
I don't support any of this
But I know you support "forced marriages " Basically martial rape
And " expulsions " Not once did you try to say what these religious men are saying is bad
You support them bcs NGO = foreign policy

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom