What's new

TF-X Turkish Fighter & Trainer Aircraft Projects

First of all Hurkus is a turboprop trainer/light attack aircraft. Is it possible that you mean the Hurjet?

Second of all, no I dont think that is possible. You need at least stol capability to be able to take off from the Juan Carlos class.

Yep, my bad - i meant the Hürjet. I was hoping smaller jets could use the landing strip to take off but it looks like that's not possible, too bad :(

Shameless plug :) But I've done a very basic comparision on the combat radiuses of some fighters with the T-FX ;

The F-16 and F-35 because we have them in inventory - or we want to acquire them. The F-22, well because it's the current gold standard in A2A engagements.

Considering the T-FX is mainly thought to be designed for A2A missions this doesn't look bad. Then again, the radius was upped in the Paris air show, so the design and expectations might have evolved into a more multi-role aircraft like the F-16's I suppose.

EDIT : And here's a "what if" scenario too :

Last edited:
Yep, my bad - i meant the Hürjet. I was hoping smaller jets could use the landing strip to take off but it looks like that's not possible, too bad :(

Shameless plug :) But I've done a very basic comparision on the combat radiuses of some fighters with the T-FX ;

The F-16 and F-35 because we have them in inventory - or we want to acquire them. The F-22, well because it's the current gold standard in A2A engagements.

Considering the T-FX is mainly thought to be designed for A2A missions this doesn't look bad. Then again, the radius was upped in the Paris air show, so the design and expectations might have evolved into a more multi-role aircraft like the F-16's I suppose.

There is a small mistake in your comparison to be more precise the combat radius.
TF-X has 600nm not 500. :)

I think we may see T-FX in the 2030-35 year range which at that point fifth generation fighters will be everywhere and 4th generation fighters will be mostly out of use. It won't be as good as F-35 but it will be better than a 4+++ gen fighter. Even South Korea admits that their K-FX will be worse than the F-35 but much better than the F-16.

Here you go:
The updated size comparison of TFX with similar fighter jets around the world based on the newly reported dimensions by DefenceTurk. Note that TFX is almost identical to F-22 in length.
Btw I didn't have top view of TFX, so I used a picture of it's model that was showcased in IDEF. Hence the planform shape may not be completely accurate.
vBx4yk0.jpg

Is it possible to update this great info graphic table ?
Best Regards,

Is it possible to update this great info graphic table ?
Best Regards,
Is the T-FX an air superiority fighter, multirole, or what? Turkey needs a fifth gen fighter in the light F-16 class to replace the F-16s eventually, and not a F-22 size fighter.

I think we may see T-FX in the 2030-35 year range which at that point fifth generation fighters will be everywhere and 4th generation fighters will be mostly out of use. It won't be as good as F-35 but it will be better than a 4+++ gen fighter. Even South Korea admits that their K-FX will be worse than the F-35 but much better than the F-16.

I think it is just a diplomatic statement saying that KFX is worse than F 35. KFX is double engine compared to F 35 which is a single engine. It is then more powerful and seems to be more agile than F 35 since it doesnt have burden like F 35 in term of its combat role. F 35 is built with VTOL in mind, and KFX dont have that design burden. If we look on the final design it also looks more like F 22 which is more agile than F 35. I can say KFX can be more agile than super hornet since it has similar engine but smaller design thus has less weight, it means higher T/W ratio.

Its Stealthy features maybe less than F 35 since it doesnt have conformal weapon bay but KFX Block 2 will have one according to the plan. Talking about all the sensors and radar quality we really dont know yet. Korean (Hanwa system) and some European (including Israeli) are working on it. Time will tell though whether KFX actually better or less than F 35.

Last edited:
Is the T-FX an air superiority fighter, multirole, or what? Turkey needs a fifth gen fighter in the light F-16 class to replace the F-16s eventually, and not a F-22 size fighter.

I think tfx will be multirole based because 21 mt lenght is monster size btw for air superiority role F22 is in the excellent sweet spot lenght not too short no too long =)

I think tfx will be multirole based because 21 mt lenght is monster size btw for air superiority role F22 is in the excellent sweet spot lenght not too short no too long =)
I have been wondering about a very light fifth gen fighter like F-5 Freedom Fighter or Gripen size. @cabatli_53
Is this possible? It would be cheaper to produce than a bigger fighter, and could still be very capable.

Back
Top Bottom