What's new

Turkey begins assembly of fifth-generation TF-X fighter

Soldier35

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
In Turkey, they showed the assembly of the first prototype of the fifth generation fighter TF-X. The assembly of the prototype is scheduled to be completed on March 18, 2023. Earlier, the model of the aircraft was demonstrated at the 53rd Paris Aviation and Space Salon in Le Bourget. The new aircraft is intended for deliveries to the Turkish Armed Forces and should replace the American F-16. The length of the aircraft will be 21 meters, the wingspan will be 14 meters. The TFX fighter will receive two American General Electric F110 engines, later new Turkish engineers will be installed on it. A radar station with an active phased array antenna for the TF-X will be created by the Turkish company ASELSAN.

Are Usa engines approved? We wouldn't want them to be sanctioned and Tfx delayed by a decade.

Are Usa engines approved? We wouldn't want them to be sanctioned and Tfx delayed by a decade.
The prototypes (and probably early production blocks) will use US engines (GE F110). Turkey's aiming to have the later blocks use their homegrown TR Motor engine. I'd wager that this won't be a factor until the mid-2030s, at the earliest.

But Turkey is still not able to produce or replica a F110 engine. Knowing how to do basic overhaul is different from mastering the whole reproduction of F110 engine.
I doubt LM will sell or transfer the blueprint.

I doubt LM will sell or transfer the blueprint.
Precisely. Turkey using F110 engine will still subject to the US control. But I can understand the limited option of Turkey. Maybe Turkey would rather let the project go on first rather than waiting for a suitable secure propulsion option.

Precisely. Turkey using F110 engine will still subject to the US control. But I can understand the limited option of Turkey. Maybe Turkey would rather let the project go on first rather than waiting for a suitable secure propulsion option.
Right now wait for the Ukraine war and then talk to Russia, they may TOT. F110 is still top of the line and doubt US will transfer. Or nothing then test RD33 export version.

Right now wait for the Ukraine war and then talk to Russia, they may TOT. F110 is still top of the line and doubt US will transfer. Or nothing then test RD33 export version.
Not sure Russia will export since Turkey export UCAV and arms to help Ukraine fight against Russia.

Yeah that's the biggest issue for this project going forward. Keep in mind, Turkey has been trying to purchase more F-16s and upgrade kits from the US for quite awhile now without any luck. Without US approval this project could be stuck in limbo for quite some time, similar to what happened to their tank project which currently lacks an engine. If Turkey does acquire the GE engines however I'm sure they can move forward very quickly. Wish them the best of luck.

Not sure Russia will export since Turkey export UCAV and arms to help Ukraine fight against Russia.

Shouldn't the TF-X considered as the "First generation" for Turkey? Or do they have already built their own first, second, third, fourth generation of fighters? I never heard of them.

The right way to said is "The first generation" that comparable to US "fifth generation" jet fighter.

Shouldn't the TF-X considered as the "First generation" for Turkey? Or do they have already built their own first, second, third, fourth generation of fighters? I never heard of them.

The right way to said is "The first generation" that comparable to US "fifth generation" jet fighter.
You should be ashamed of yourself for being so smart.

In Turkey, they showed the assembly of the first prototype of the fifth generation fighter TF-X. The assembly of the prototype is scheduled to be completed on March 18, 2023. Earlier, the model of the aircraft was demonstrated at the 53rd Paris Aviation and Space Salon in Le Bourget. The new aircraft is intended for deliveries to the Turkish Armed Forces and should replace the American F-16. The length of the aircraft will be 21 meters, the wingspan will be 14 meters. The TFX fighter will receive two American General Electric F110 engines, later new Turkish engineers will be installed on it. A radar station with an active phased array antenna for the TF-X will be created by the Turkish company ASELSAN.

The engines would push out it's acquisition into the PAF by a few years for sure. GE -104 and -110 are great engines. XA-100 is a future standard engine of the F-35, built on the core technology used in -110 engines.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom