What's new

South Asia Has a New Economic Leader. Will the World Take Note?

That PCA plot merely confirms my earlier assertion rather than disproving it, the Bengali cluster is much closer to the Indian cluster than the Iranian/Pakistani cluster.

Do you not see we are scattered just outside the South Asian cline? Even if it is minimal, the results aren't surprising, most North Indian groups share genetic affinity. Most Gujarati Patels literally look like they could pass off as Punjabis from both sides.
Bangladeshis form their own interesting cluster, somewhat removed from the South-Asian cline most of these samples fall on. This is due to significant East-Asian admixture, likely from a population somewhere between Tibetans and Burmese. Though not pictured, there are Bangladeshi samples from areas like Chittagong that have so much East-Asian admixture that they are pulled entirely away from the main South-Asian grouping.

Last edited:
Do you not see we are scattered just outside the South Asian cline? Even if it is minimal, the results aren't surprising, most North Indian groups share genetic affinity. Most Gujarati Patels literally look like they could pass off as Punjabis from both sides.
Bangladeshis form their own interesting cluster, somewhat removed from the South-Asian cline most of these samples fall on. This is due to significant East-Asian admixture, likely from a population somewhere between Tibetans and Burmese. Though not pictured, there are Bangladeshi samples from areas like Chittagong that have so much East-Asian admixture that they are pulled entirely away from the main South-Asian grouping.

I'm probably one of the few Bengalis online that are interested in both genealogy and population genetics since they supplement my hobbies in history, geography, anthropology, politics and archeology.

I have origins in Chittagong/Feni, and this is how I plot.

All Bengalis (both Hindus and Muslims of all castes) plot together, with Brahmins forming (somewhat of) a separate cluster, which has a smooth cline towards the main (mainly due to less East Asian admixture in Brahmins since they arrived more recently). I have about 10-12% East Asian ancestry which is the norm in most of Bangladesh/parts of West Bengal. East Asian ancestry in Bengalis peaks in North Bengal (parts of Rajshahi, Rangpur in Bangladesh and Malda and Jalpaiguri divisions in West Bengal average 15-20%) and has the lowest concentration (5-7%) in Southwest Bengal.

hDQabKt.jpg

It's amusing to see complete 'noobs' like some of the posters here act like they are experts of the field.

Last edited:
Well done Banglas. Although I hate to admit but Banglas are proving to be a remarkable people -

• you guys killed the Two Nation Theory and in it's stead placed the Three Nation Theory.
  • you built a secular, ethnic based state free from the evil of mullahs
  • now you are building a economy that is heading to be best in South Asia.

I have to say, they way they hang to death the leader of Jamaat -e- Islami in 2016 despite international outcry specifically from Pakistan, I think it was a powerful message that BD would not be held hostage by mullahs or religion, and that BD would move forward on the basis of its Nationalism.

It is all history, language, culture and religion that creates closeness or distance among different people of a region. Genetics may play here but its function is very limited.

For example, Pakistani Punjabis talk the same language as the Sikhs of India with the same DNA composition, but they are divided because of past rivalry, politics and division of their homeland. Note also that Punjabis and Pathans of Pakistan do not also get along with each other.

So, there is no set rules and DNA itself is not the single factor. Otherwise, a Frenchman would have been a close friend of an Englishman. People do not make friendship by testing and analyzing each other's DNA.

Buckingham Palace with Germanic DNA/past would have been friendly with Hitler's Germany, but they were not.

Hi, stupid why do you keep on talking like a dog's tail without change? Stop bickering and learn to talk truth.

I have been to Pakistan nearly 35 times. There is no animosity between Pakistani Punjabis and Pathans. We are ALL Pakistani brothers and sisters.

PS sikhs Punjabis make up less than 5% of india's population and ONLY a small minority of sikhs have ANY sort of genetic link to Pakistan. A FAR greater proportion of Pakistanis have some sort of genetic and dna link to both Iran and Afghanistan.

• you guys killed the Two Nation Theory and in it's stead placed the Three Nation Theory.
  • you built a secular, ethnic based state free from the evil of mullahs
  • now you are building a economy that is heading to be best in South Asia.
No, your talking is a little misplaced. We are living in a Muslim majority country which was a part of Hindu India. It is due to the application of two-nation theory.
Yes, we built a secular state. But, Jinnah Sahab never wanted a Hinduless Pakistan. He himself was secular-minded. He was not a Mullah, but was a Pakka Sahab, was a Muslim, but was not a practicing Muslim. He had secular mind that wanted to build a nation where Muslims of then Hindustan would live in peace and harmony with their Hindu citizens.

Pakistan has left away from this concept and BD has adopted/retained it fruitfully.

Last edited:
There is no animosity between Pakistani Punjabis and Pathans. We are ALL Pakistani brothers and sisters.
I agree. The relationship between Pakhtuns ands Punjabi's is on the whole good. Yes, there is some rubbing similiar to what you get in UK with Scots and English. Pakistan exists on the dual plank of Pakhtuns and Punjabi and the Pakistan Army is respository of that fact. It's manpower is overwhemingly Punjabi/Pakhtun. We can also see how PTI won in K-pk and Punjab. If ever the Pakhtun Punjabi accord breaks is the day Pakistan will be finished.

Members are advised to not subject each other to Personal attacks. This thread also have examples.

Congratulations to BD ! And this is also a SLAP in the face of the our corrupt, incompetent and dishonest Pakistan establishment who have destroyed this country. BD a country which was poor and got independence in 1971, has done so much for its people because this country CARES for its people. Unlike the corrupt, A-holes SOBs sitting in Pakistan and its agencies.

Well Pakistan as a country had quite a few challenges too.

Bangladesh did make the most of its Peace Dividend...

Actually Indo-Aryans and Iranians diverged and are separate populations. Some populations west of the Indus are closer to us Indo-Aryans genetically and linguistically than to the Iranians, such as the Nuristanis, Chitralis and Hindkowans.

West Bengalis are very different from East Bengalis. West Bengalis are more Aryan like us, but East Bengalis have heavy admixture from the Tibeto-Burman neighbors of the northeast. That's why, for example, you will notice many Bangladeshis have epicanthic folds and other Tibeto-Burman features.
West Bengalis speak Hindi more naturally, but speaking Urdu or Hindi is very difficult for Bangladeshis, and modern day Bangladeshi youth can barely speak any Urdu or Hindi at all thanks to complete Banglaization from your government education policy.

From my interaction with West Bengali Hindus here in Canada and online, they consider themselves very different from Bangladeshis not just because of Religion. They consider themselves Indian before they consider themselves Bengali. Many of them don't even want to speak Bangla at all

You need to find a hobby...something that makes you respect yourself more.

Your need to feel better about yourself by putting others down as different is very pronounced and obvious.

Epicanthic folds?? Really?? :lol:

Last edited:
Members are advised to not subject each other to Personal attacks. This thread also have examples.

We have some here claiming racial superiority which is a staple we Bangladeshis have gotten used to - brother. All in a day's affairs.

I'm probably one of the few Bengalis online that are interested in both genealogy and population genetics since they supplement my hobbies in history, geography, anthropology, politics and archeology.

I have origins in Chittagong/Feni, and this is how I plot.

All Bengalis (both Hindus and Muslims of all castes) plot together, with Brahmins forming (somewhat of) a separate cluster, which has a smooth cline towards the main (mainly due to less East Asian admixture in Brahmins since they arrived more recently). I have about 10-12% East Asian ancestry which is the norm in most of Bangladesh/parts of West Bengal. East Asian ancestry in Bengalis peaks in North Bengal (parts of Rajshahi, Rangpur in Bangladesh and Malda and Jalpaiguri divisions in West Bengal average 15-20%) and has the lowest concentration (5-7%) in Southwest Bengal.

hDQabKt.jpg

It's amusing to see complete 'noobs' like some of the posters here act like they are experts of the field.

I always thought we should celebrate and respect differences and diversity in the US - being a Bangladeshi American.

In Bangladesh we do it as well, with our Chakma, Marma, Murang and Garo/Khasia tribes. Bangladesh may have the most tolerant society as far as ethnicities in the subcontinent.

Whatever made us into who we are, we should be proud of it.

Some recent south Asian immigrants to US/EU/Canada still have to learn this important lesson. They are too busy playing exclusionary games and playing superior/inferior which is laughable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom