What's new

Report of flood-hit Pakistan rejecting Bangladesh’s $145,000 aid offer false

Homo Sapiens

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

Report of flood-hit Pakistan rejecting Bangladesh’s $145,000 aid offer false​

It was reported that the Pakistan Army was averse to the proposal of aid from Bangladesh as any such relief assistance may undermine the country's global image

Cataclysmic Floods In Pakistan Kill 1160 Including 380 Children 1

Flood affected people carry belongings out from their flooded home in Shikarpur, Sindh province on August 31, 2022 AFP

Tribune Desk
September 17, 2022 12:04 PM

The report of Pakistan rejecting Bangladesh’s offer to supply humanitarian aid worth Tk1.4 crore (roughly $145,000) after the recent floods and heavy monsoons in the country reduced the hope of a quick revival from the economic crisis is false.
According to Ministry of Foreign Affairs sources, no formal proposal has been made to Pakistan in this regard so far, reports BBC.

Earlier, Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina announced the aid for flood-ravaged Pakistan, according to local media.
According to some local news outlets, Pakistan Army was reportedly averse to the proposal of aid from Bangladesh as any such relief assistance may undermine Pakistan’s global image.

Taking any help from a country that was once part of Pakistan could be embarrassing for the Pak Army which still denies the genocide perpetrated by it against Bangladesh in 1971.

However, these reports of rejection of aid are completely false and baseless, confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Bangladesh and diplomatic sources in Islamabad.

The Bangladesh Ministry of Disaster Management and Relief on September 1 reportedly allocated funds for 10 tonnes of biscuits, 10 tonnes of dry cakes, 1,00,000 water purification tablets, 50,000 packets of oral saline, 5,000 mosquito nets, 2,000 blankets, and 2,000 tents to be sent to Pakistan.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina noted that the Awami League government had always been generous towards humanity and that the concerned authorities had been directed to assist in the relief efforts in Pakistan.

She further underscored that though Bangladesh had won the 1971 Liberation War against Pakistan, it was their duty to help Pakistan as Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman had always emphasized helping those in need.

According to Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Agency, unprecedented heavy monsoon rains and melting glaciers in the northern mountains of Pakistan resulted in huge floods that affected nearly 33 million people and killed an estimated 1,355 people including over 450 children.

Having no option of resurrecting the damaged economy due to sheer mismanagement, climate change, and natural calamity, the Pakistan government has appealed to the international community to provide aid for the flood victims, reported Bangladesh Live News.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on September 10 visited Pakistan to express solidarity with the Pak government and people and to exchange views on the national and global response to the catastrophe caused by climate change.

The US has responded by announcing an aid of $30 million while help has also been promised by the UK, UAE, Saudi Arabia, China, Qatar, and Turkey.

Nearly 80 districts of Pakistan have been worst hit by the floods. Thousands of people have been lodged in tents or are waiting for shelter under open skies along the main highway that leads to Hyderabad. Either side of the highway could be seen inundated by floodwater for miles.

Sheikh Hasina should have added a zero to the aid amount. This is highly embarrassing. $145,000 is a pittance for a gift.

If Pakistani Govt. accepts - it will be because of the breadth of their heart.
I do not think it is the exact black or white. The amount should be higher but more relief goods can be added at a later time.

If it is BD, we have enough experience to handle the fieldwork because we have been handling this for the last 100 years. So, we are experienced.

But, Pakistan is inexperienced because this is the first time it is facing floods. So, it will take them more time to mobilize govt or volunteers for the distribution of the relief goods.

BD is not a rich country. It has little capacity to send dollars. But, our people know the types of materials needed in the very beginning when children and others may be affected by water-borne diseases. BD is sending medical materials and also some kinds of biscuits that last for days.

Note that even NAN does not last more than two days in a hot climate. And a special woven is needed to cook NAN. This is not available now. Only cooked rice, atta roti, and hard biscuits are good.

The present amount is not much, but BD may keep on sending goods subsequently. BD private organizations will certainly move to help our brethren in Pakistan. They can send plane loads of dry foods. I have seen them (on YouTube) doing so when Sylhet was underwater recently.

The issue now is the survival of the victims before big donations come from the rich Western countrues.

Last edited:
BD should Only be giving Aid to Charitable organisations in Pakistan and not to the corrupt, beggar Government of Pakistan and its Generals otherwise these corrupt people will embezzle the aid and use it to buy some land somewhere.

BD should Only be giving Aid to Charitable organisations in Pakistan and not to the corrupt, beggar Government of Pakistan and its Generals otherwise these corrupt people will embezzle the aid and use it to buy some land somewhere.

If Bangladeshi NGO's get mobilized that will be great.

They have extensive experience in handling calamities and they are among some of the largest NGO's in the world and work with the UN programmes all the time.

I think no money is being given but materials and goods such as water purification tablets, tents, biscuits etc.

I too was of the opinion that the news is not correct since we did not hear official news from Pakistan foreign office.
On a side note, Pakistani official news means squat these days :D

Sheikh Hasina should have added a zero to the aid amount. This is highly embarrassing. $145,000 is a pittance for a gift.

If Pakistani Govt. accepts - it will be because of the breadth of their heart.

Embrassing? How many times has the Pakistan gov given aid to bdesh? There were occasions when even Pakistan gov blocked international aid going to bdesh, it wasn't even their own money but they tried to stop it numerous times.

You want bdesh gov to give 145 million to a nation that did this to bdesh ?

There's something wrong with the world, like a dog that keeps going back to its to get kicked.

Our own people still haven't recovered from the massive floods. I get news from that area that people are still living in broken homes, some homes with out roofs.

But yet you want to give 145 million to people and gov that have repeatedly stomped on us.

145,000 aid is just about right for me.

Embrassing? How many times has the Pakistan gov given aid to bdesh? There were occasions when even Pakistan gov blocked international aid going to bdesh, it wasn't even their own money but they tried to stop it numerous times.

You want bdesh gov to give 145 million to a nation that did this to bdesh ?

There's something wrong with the world, like a dog that keeps going back to its to get kicked.

Our own people still haven't recovered from the massive floods. I get news from that area that people are still living in broken homes, some homes with out roofs.

But yet you want to give 145 million to people and gov that have repeatedly stomped on us.

145,000 aid is just about right for me.

I see your point. It was not a govt. or political thing.

It's about being a human being.

The farmer or laborer in Pakistan has no political bias.

You be the better human.

I say this because I have been to Pakistan and seen their hospitality, even of marginal people.

I would say the same about the average Indian on the street.

She further underscored that though Bangladesh had won the 1971 Liberation War against Pakistan, it was their duty to help Pakistan as Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman had always emphasized helping those in need

Pakistan should give this money to charity organisations helping the Viharis and Rohingyas facing systematic persecution and communal bias in Bangladesh.

She further underscored that though Bangladesh had won the 1971 Liberation War against Pakistan, it was their duty to help Pakistan as Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman had always emphasized helping those in need.
This folks is what we call dhoodh me mengnian daal ke dena (Offering someone milk but with goat dropping in it). Idk much about internal politics of BD but did she really had to bring up that?

On a serious note.
It's heartwarming to see the positivity in this thread as compared to the other thread based on fake news. I think I was the first to point out that it reeked of gangu propaganda.
Just look at the difference in the vibe of both these threads. That thread divided and pitted BD and Pakistan against one another. But the truth has brought positivity.

I guess churchill, for all his faults, was right about gangus being spineless schemers.

This folks is what we call dhoodh me mengnian daal ke dena (Offering someone milk but with goat dropping in it). Idk much about internal politics of BD but did she really had to bring up that?
Her talking of the 1971 war is irrelevant. But, she is a born idiot and was trained in India for more than five years to take an evil stance against Pakistan whenever possible.

So, her talking is like Dudh me Peshab.

On a serious note.
It's heartwarming to see the positivity in this thread as compared to the other thread based on fake news. I think I was the first to point out that it reeked of gangu propaganda.
Just look at the difference in the vibe of both these threads. That thread divided and pitted BD and Pakistan against one another. But the truth has brought positivity.

I guess churchill, for all his faults, was right about gangus being spineless schemers.
It is a good gesture by BD. Humanity comes before politics. I don't know who started the fake news, but it was widely reported in Indian media. They do that to feed into anti Pakistan propaganda. But it true for India that Pakistan is yet to accept Indian aid. I guess they love you more than India. It is more like they hate you less. 😑

I see your point. It was not a govt. or political thing.

It's about being a human being.

The farmer or laborer in Pakistan has no political bias.

You be the better human.

I say this because I have been to Pakistan and seen their hospitality, even of marginal people.

I would say the same about the average Indian on the street.

Really then why has the Pakistan gov covertly supported Burma?

It's cut throat world, we're not to long ago in the past 10-7 yrs Pakistan tried blocking aid to bdesh even tried to push for sanctions against bdesh. Also Lobbied in Turkey to ostracised bdesh.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom