What's new

Pakistan's indigenous built JF - 17 Block III to get state of the art AESA Radar, ECM and Missiles

Thank you. I am aware of the development. My understanding is currently the range of this radar is less than the current radar on Block 2s. Secondly what I am talking about is the actual necessity of changing radars when the PD radars are working effectively.Even if we had 1-2 planes per squadron guiding the other planes who operate with their radars shut and deploy weapons as directed by the AESA radar lead plane or even the AWACs, then do we actually in our resource constrained environment need to change the radar. The next question that I have is what happens to the radars which are taken out. Are they bought back by the parent company or can they be used else where and for what purpose.?
A
Correct. The best possible upgrade for Blk 1/2 will be hmds solution.

Those of you looking for dramatic RCS reduction measures in blk 3 may be disappointed but the percentage of composites will be increased to further reduce the RCS. The EW suite will be quite advanced and may be able to spoof/ jam or confuse multiple radars/ seekers simultaneously. Increased payload and a chin pylon is likely and the AESA is a done deal. The engine output may also be increased slightly but is not a given.

Overall, the blk 3 will be a huge upgrade, a milestone for the PAF and will give it a huge boost in confidence. The mere presence of an AESA equipped fighter in the air will keep the enemy at bay. However, the final number of this blk will not exceed 50 due to cost. It may cost $40 million plus, perhaps more.

The dramatic RCS reduction measures may happen in the fourth block. CAC is already studying options to incorporate in blk 4.

FC-1_stealth.jpg
I am predicting 100+ Blk 3 not 50s. Remember the time frame for delivery is around 4 yrs to fullful 50 units; by then another 50 will be signed up; like Blk2 was.

Correct. The best possible upgrade for Blk 1/2 will be hmds solution.

I am predicting 100+ Blk 3 not 50s. Remember the time frame for delivery is around 4 yrs to fullful 50 units; by then another 50 will be signed up; like Blk2 was.

Hmm,

50 is not the definite number but the initial plan was to have at least 50 highly capable AESA and enhanced sensor equipped thunders to be used in specialized roles. It is for the PAF to decide how many they want of course.

The additional blk 2s were made to cover the delay caused by the finalization of blk 3 requirements/ design, and fulfil export orders. Note that the fuselages, wings, vertical and horizontal tail, rudder, canopies are all being done at AMF for Rubis as well.

Hmm,

50 is not the definite number but the initial plan was to have at least 50 highly capable AESA and enhanced sensor equipped thunders to be used in specialized roles. It is for the PAF to decide how many they want of course.

The additional blk 2s were made to cover the delay caused by the finalization of blk 3 requirements/ design, and fulfil export orders. Note that the fuselages, wings, vertical and horizontal tail, rudder, canopies are all being done at AMF for Rubis as well.
yes, 50 is not appropriate given the massive deficit to replace PGs and Mirages. Still no issue if AESA becomes the standard across the board.

Block 2 flyaway cost is $16 million and depending upon the overall package 20-30 million a piece which may include support part etc for x years

Myanmar price was about $ 35M for first batch once inducted and training completed locally and support structure established sustainment cost will go down bottom line for pac/paf the cost is 1/2 and is the very reason why the program was initiate rather than buying f-16 which could not be afforded in such numbers

Block 2 flyaway cost is $16 million and depending upon the overall package 20-30 million a piece which may include support part etc for x years

Myanmar price was about $ 35M for first batch once inducted and training completed locally and support structure established sustainment cost will go down bottom line for pac/paf the cost is 1/2 and is the very reason why the program was initiate rather than buying f-16 which could not be afforded in such numbers
It's almost like the at the cost of tin pots that can be produced by tons at the garages and backyards!!! Nothing like indigenous products!!! For example, at the cost of a single UAV Heron, Turkey produces 4 (four) Bayraktar TBIIs and that too armed!!!! By the by, Herons, which were being used for reconnaissance on PKK, were bugged and were relaying information to PKK itself!!!!

On 17 September, South African munitions producer Denel Dynamics announced that it completed the A-Darter’s missile qualification tests. The A-Darter is Denel Dynamics’ fifth-generation, high off-boresight (HOBS) air-to-air missile (AAM) for use on South Africa and Brazil’s respective Gripen fighter fleets.

According to Denel Dynamics (via Engineering News), the A-Darter’s qualification tests had involved four launches against Denel Dynamics’ Skua target drones. The tests were done at Denel’s Overberg Test Range (OTR), an instrumented weapons test-range located in South Africa’s southern coast.

The tests were conducted through the following:

Lock-on-After-Launch (LOAL)
The first qualification test done in LOAL, i.e. the A-Darter was already flying before receiving its target. As per Denel Dynamics, the LOAL test was a success. Denel aimed to validate the AAM’s algorithm suite.

Close Range Air Combat
In the second test, the A-Darter was fired under high-g stress and was required to turn 180˚. The goal was to validate the AAM’s seeker’s wide-angle view, HOBS capability — i.e. the pilot’s ability to cue a target with the use of a helmet-mounted display and sight system (HMD/S) — and thrust-vector rocket.

Resilience Against Electronic Countermeasures (ECM)
The final two tests validated the A-Darter’s resilience against ECM and tested the A-Darter’s electronic counter-countermeasures (ECCM) capabilities. According to Denel, the A-Darter was launched via “blow-through” maneuvering, i.e. having the fighter fire the AAM and withdraw.

SA was willing to bring A darter way back for trials in pak but paf was not focused on it then , at the time mar-1 integration was going on on type ....

I guess now a darter has a competition in the form of pl-10 so both can be tested unless something is already in progress on block 2 and will show up on block 3

Now days 5g short range aam are expensive compared to previous gen

Aim-9 older were under $100k newer one are close to $1M a piece

Not sure about pl-10 and A darter

I think A darter procudtion version still not out and delivered to any af , saf or baf, last time I read training rounds were first being delivered in 2020ish

Last edited:
SA was willing to bring A darter way back for trials in pak but paf was not focused on it then , at the time mar-1 integration was going on on type ....

I guess now a darter has a competition in the form of pl-10 so both can be tested unless something is already in progress on block 2 and will show up on block 3

Now days 5g short range aam are expensive compared to previous gen

Aim-9 older were under $100k newer one are close to $1M a piece

Not sure about pl-10 and A darter

I think A darter procudtion version still not out and delivered to any af , saf or baf, last time I read training rounds were first being delivered in 2020ish
Final tests were in progress from what i know; should be completing anytime. comparison between pl-10 and a-darter is not valid as both are very different. a-darter brings in extreme tvc and additional game changing performances to IR aams .. one area was to get it to do a 180 deg reverse upon launch demonstrating wide field viewing angle

Final tests were in progress from what i know; should be completing anytime. comparison between pl-10 and a-darter is not valid as both are very different. a-darter brings in extreme tvc and additional game changing performances to IR aams .. one area was to get it to do a 180 deg reverse upon launch demonstrating wide field viewing angle

Not sure which pl-10 u r comparing A darter to??

A PL-10E AAM was on display in front of a PLAAF J-10B fighter at the 2016 Zhuhai Airshow. PL-10 (K/AKK-10?) is a new generation IIR-guided short-range missile in the same class of AIM-9X, ASRAAM, A-Darter, AAM-5 and IRIS-T. It features an IIR seeker (containing a 128x128 focal plane array), a laser proximity fuze and TVC, giving the missile a 90° off-boresight angle and a max load of 55g.

90 degree offbore plus minus both side eq 180 degree
The only diff I see is 55g vs claimed ~100g for A darter

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/14...air_Missile_Closer_to_Deployment#.W6vgmhYpDYV

http://chinese-military-aviation.blogspot.com/p/missiles-i.html

Last edited:
I love this bird. It has a very low operating cost with an extraordinary firepower. I hear a news about a delegation team form Bangladesh have visited it. So InshAllah it may be going to join in BAF and can anyone tell me about any latest news of JF-17x program ?

I love this bird. It has a very low operating cost with an extraordinary firepower. I hear a news about a delegation team form Bangladesh have visited it. So InshAllah it may be going to join in BAF and can anyone tell me about any latest news of JF-17x program ?

BAF is very anti Pakistan hence will not buy it as JF17. it might go for FC1 version but who knows

BAF is very anti Pakistan hence will not buy it as JF17. it might go for FC1 version but who knows
They will either go J-10 series of jets or MIG-35 from Russia @syed yusuf :angel:

And there are no FC-1 actually @syed yusuf :disagree:

I hear that now BAF shows very interest about JF-17 and a delegation team have visited Pakistan for JF-17 from BAF. Here a link about it --- JF-17 is the inspiration of Muslim Ummah. Bangladeshi peoples love this jet very much. We often discuss about this jet in this forum and our domestic website.

I hear that now BAF shows very interest about JF-17 and a delegation team have visited Pakistan for JF-17 from BAF. Here a link about it --- JF-17 is the inspiration of Muslim Ummah. Bangladeshi peoples love this jet very much. We often discuss about this jet in this forum and our domestic website.
No with hasna's govt their not chance to get JF-17 because Hesna's govt is anti Pakistani stance and puppet of india @Abdul_ Jalil :disagree:, you might get J-10 from China or MIG-35 in near future @Abdul_Jalil :angel:

Back
Top Bottom