What's new

Pakistan's indigenous built JF - 17 Block III to get state of the art AESA Radar, ECM and Missiles

what if the lead AESA plane is taken out first? then what? abort mission?
It is a thought. The problem is how to conduct a mission in the most expedient manner. The AESA bearing plane may yet be at the back and the other planes up front. It is just an idea. I am not a forces person therefore there is no authenticity behind my claims just a thought process. You think things can run better in a different manner then lets discuss that. I do know that the range of the air cooled Radar is a lot less than the PD radar which is currently on JFT. So what is the sense of this change and what benefits does it bring. Change for the sake of change or a real difference. That is a question worth discussing.
Kind regards.
A

aik masoomana sawal.

kya Pakistan thunder ki payment PAC and CAIC ko dollars me karta hai ya rupees me?
The price in the contract has been quoted in dollars. Dont know what the reality is.
A

Its is now 2018 ending - fck it, no sign of Jf17 block III in actual sight with AESA, Super Cruise and Long Range Radar targeting, what is Pakistan’s bloody answer to Rafale Jets.:angry::pissed:
Bhai.
You could have stated whatever you stated without the profanities. It adds nothing to the debate and no one takes you seriously if you use curses.
A

What does that include? It is probably only the cost of items acquired from china. Don't forget to add the overhead and labour costs.

Block 2 flyaway cost is $16 million and depending upon the overall package 20-30 million a piece which may include support part etc for x years

Myanmar price was about $ 35M for first batch once inducted and training completed locally and support structure established sustainment cost will go down bottom line for pac/paf the cost is 1/2 and is the very reason why the program was initiate rather than buying f-16 which could not be afforded in such numbers

I guessed so, replacing PD with AESA in block 1 would have been a big news.

Yeah so it confirms that it is "WILL BE" as we all know, no "Is Being" as asked. Thanks.

China will upgrade Pakistan Air Force JF-17 Thunder multirole combat aircraft with the KLJ-7A active electronically scanned-array (AESA) radar, according to a 28 March report by the China Daily newspaper.

We do know that the upgrade is planned. Blk-I to be brought up to Blk-II standard and all existing examples planned to be upgraded with an AESA at some point. Currently no plane in undergoing this AESA upgrade.

@Thorough Pro

It is a thought. The problem is how to conduct a mission in the most expedient manner. The AESA bearing plane may yet be at the back and the other planes up front. It is just an idea. I am not a forces person therefore there is no authenticity behind my claims just a thought process. You think things can run better in a different manner then lets discuss that. I do know that the range of the air cooled Radar is a lot less than the PD radar which is currently on JFT. So what is the sense of this change and what benefits does it bring. Change for the sake of change or a real difference. That is a question worth discussing.
Kind regards.
A

The price in the contract has been quoted in dollars. Dont know what the reality is.
A

Bhai.
You could have stated whatever you stated without the profanities. It adds nothing to the debate and no one takes you seriously if you use curses.
A
why not update the range of air cooled AESA on the first place?

Two programs really paid off more what was realized initially 1) Mirage rebuilt factory 2) jf program and credit goes to the leadership

1. MRF gave us a powerful force for next to nothing.

2. JF, apart from the obvious, will perform the same role (in part) as MRF. Older JF-17 will be maintained, upgraded and their service prolonged for next to nothing, as everything is in-house.

all f-7 operator will try/buy jf or less sophisticated and far cheaper FTC-2k(basically solid nose f-7) depending upon their threat perception

why not update the range of air cooled AESA on the first place?
A million dollar question. This would hike the price even further, escalating the cost of the modification. The time required needs to be taken into consideration. The Chinese need to do this. The range cureently from my memory is70km and needs to be increased to atleast 135Kms to match the current PD radar. So even parity would be expensive. Then there are heat issues which will need to be resolved. Iguess if something comes along the lines in 5 yrs time and we have the money it might be done but for now it is:concentration on updating the inventory:and:getting personnel trained up for the newer technology.
A

Not sure which pl-10 u r comparing A darter to??

A PL-10E AAM was on display in front of a PLAAF J-10B fighter at the 2016 Zhuhai Airshow. PL-10 (K/AKK-10?) is a new generation IIR-guided short-range missile in the same class of AIM-9X, ASRAAM, A-Darter, AAM-5 and IRIS-T. It features an IIR seeker (containing a 128x128 focal plane array), a laser proximity fuze and TVC, giving the missile a 90° off-boresight angle and a max load of 55g.

90 degree offbore plus minus both side eq 180 degree
The only diff I see is 55g vs claimed ~100g for A darter

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/14...air_Missile_Closer_to_Deployment#.W6vgmhYpDYV

http://chinese-military-aviation.blogspot.com/p/missiles-i.html
Best thing - do a baseline comparative performance test; A-darter will win hands down.

Guess along with 5gen short range aam newer longer range aam like pl-15 may be needed to take advantage of aesa longer range

By that way what ever range is advertised take half as range in actual combat conditions as advertise range is under ideal conditions which rarely exists in combat

Let’s see when they will announce first flight of block 3 which will give you idea of when to expect serial production block 1 to 2 was minor with a gap of almost year or so ...

I think paf out going chief stated 2020 onwards but other statement were 2019 onwards

Last edited:
Best thing - do a baseline comparative performance test; A-darter will win hands down.
Procuring A-Darter and the Marlin would be ideal, especially if the two are developed even further for the PAF's next-gen fighter, Project Azm. Reviving a ramjet ALCM with the DNA of the Somchem/Kentron LRTM would be neat too.

Procuring A-Darter and the Marlin would be ideal, especially if the two are developed even further for the PAF's next-gen fighter, Project Azm. Reviving a ramjet ALCM with the DNA of the Somchem/Kentron LRTM would be neat too.
absolutely a-darter would be a game changer on blk 3. not sure at present what status is for lrtm but given political situation at denel post Guptas/Zuma - we are hoping things will be brought back to normality for push forward in innovation

Block 3 schedule ??

'By the end of 2018, it is planned to present the bombers to Azerbaijan as well as to other countries which also placed an order. ??

http://panarmenian.net/m/eng/news/254415

April 19, 2018 - 19:14 AMT

zerbaijan to buy Pakistani bombers
In 2019, Azerbaijan and Pakistan may sign an agreement on purchasing Pakistani JF-17 fighter-bombers. The announcement was made by the representative of Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC), as reported by Haqqin.az.

'The configuration of JF-17 Block 3, Azerbaijan is interested in, is now ready. The radar of AESA system is selected for the bombers and it will soon be tasted. The contract on the purchase may be signed in 2019,' said the representative of the producing company.

The representative also noted that the mass production of the JF-17 Block 3 will start in late 2019 or early 2020. According to the PAC representative, all the technical issues that can affect the sale to Azerbaijan are already successfully solved.

'By the end of 2018, it is planned to present the bombers to Azerbaijan as well as to other countries which also placed an order. Meanwhile Azerbaijan still needs to solve the issue of financing the deal”, reported the representative.

In his message it was also stated that by the end of 2018 Pakistan will pass the 10 Super Mwushshak planes for training which were ordered by official Baku.

A million dollar question. This would hike the price even further, escalating the cost of the modification. The time required needs to be taken into consideration. The Chinese need to do this. The range cureently from my memory is70km and needs to be increased to atleast 135Kms to match the current PD radar. So even parity would be expensive. Then there are heat issues which will need to be resolved. Iguess if something comes along the lines in 5 yrs time and we have the money it might be done but for now it is:concentration on updating the inventory:and:getting personnel trained up for the newer technology.
A
probably just increasing the block 3s number rather than upgrading the old ones might be more economic and better fro PAC in long run

Back
Top Bottom