What's new

Pakistan Army's T-129 ATAK Helicopter Deal | Updates & Discussions.

The Arrival of Assets of Turkish Helicopter would take while , as these have not been inducted in Turkish military in huge numbers

The helicopter thing is still hovering in air and refuses to land on way or another

Russian Helicopter Gunships are a realistic option no doubt 80%-95%
US EDA in 2015 - 30%, we do know promises were made
Turkish TOT for Heclicopter - 1% because the helicopter has not even been inducted in Turkey

Last edited:
The Arrival of Assets of Turkish Helicopter would take while , as these have not been inducted in Turkish military in huge numbers

The helicopter thing is still hovering in air and refuses to land on way or another

Russian Helicopter Gunships are a realistic option no doubt
A little note : It will take 2016 to start mass production of final model.Currently 9 early delivery models manufactured and delivered but since development of final model is not over yet its mass production did not start.

A little note : It will take 2016 to start mass production of final model.Currently 9 early delivery models manufactured and delivered but since development of final model is not over yet its mass production did not start.
Like everything we start(military equipment),it takes ages before the final model is ready

Those will be good for COIN but PAF will not be able to use them, the way PAA can use attach helicopters against well equipped IA which will be having CAS from IAF.

To be honest I have raised this issue with US Defense department on twitter to provide those EDA to Pakistan as we are non NATO ally and have right to have them to fight with TTP and its associated groups. As usual they are silent.

They may not like to provide them as they will be very effective against any Indian Armour thrust in Pakistan.
They will not respond to you on Twitter my friend!!!

Already help is being given in the shape of enhanced night surveillance and targeting equipment now installed on three C130's! The training has been given by US to PAF operators.

This night acquisition and targeting effort has helped carry out surgical strikes by both Cobras and F-16's in the night and have been very effective in limiting non combatant casualties and collateral damage.

This effort has been in combo with ground informants, sometimes sitting in the a/c and pointing out targets on monitors in the cargo bay!!!

The equipment is able to identify and read number plates from an altitude of ten thousand feet, in the night!!!

Last edited:
long silent from both sides
shows that deal had been cancel
there never was a DEAL so that it can be canceled. Pakistan have SHOWN interest in T-129 but with only a very few pre - mass production models in service with Turkey and the T-129B (the final model) still to be inducted we wont be seeing anything happening soon. T-129 is state of the art machine and even if we can get it in three four years it will be a massive gain in our military capabilities. For now, it seems that PA is looking towards Russia for a few gunships in the ongoing operation against Taliban.

Already help is being given in the shape of enhanced night surveillance and targeting equipment now installed on three C130's! The training has been given by US to PAF operators.
Are you telling we have three of these now? we know about one at least!
These are only performing Survellience and target designation duties right? no gunship role.

Here is a few months old news:
Pakistan To Upgrade C-130 Fleet, US DSCA Tells Congress
The US Defense Security Cooperation Agency notified Congress today of a possible Foreign Military Sale to Pakistan for a C-130 Fleet Upgrade Program for an estimated cost of $100 million.

The upgrade will allow continued operation of the Pakistan’s Air Force C-130 fleet (five C-130B and eleven C-130E models) for counter-insurgency/counter-terrorism flights; regional humanitarian operations; troop transport; and Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) missions within Pakistan and in the region, according to the statement.
Pakistan To Upgrade C-130 Fleet, US DSCA Tells Congress

Anyways, getting back on topic, for now i feel PA will have to make do with old Cobra's, these C-130s, PAF support, MAY BE a few Russian beasts. For T-129, even if we get them it will have to wait for three four years at least and i personally think it will still be worth it.

i expect Mi-35's before T-129's
Exactly. Mi-35 are much more refined acquisition and will fill in the numbers and a pretty decent platform for the current role we are seeking to buy choppers for (anti-insurgency duties and war against Taliban)
As mentioned above, T-129, is acquired, wont be before three four years at least and even then the technology is worth it that it still will be a massive gain in our military capabilities if we get that in four five years time. Even Turkey is not going to get Mass production models (T129B) before 2016 (another two years) so if we can get these around 2018 that will be great and will be very effective battle system against organized army, if you know what i mean ;)

Three are equipped and are being extensively used in conjunction with Cobras and F-16's for night surgical strikes.

This night acquisition and targeting effort has helped carry out surgical strikes by both Cobras and F-16's in the night and have been very effective in limiting non combatant casualties and collateral damage.
This effort has been in combo with ground informants, sometimes sitting in the a/c and pointing out targets on monitors in the cargo bay!!!
The equipment is able to identify and read number plates from an altitude of ten thousand feet, in the night!!!

I know that, but it need more resources to commit for a mission whereas dedicated systems like A-10s, Apaches (AH-64-D/E) can take several hits but still do the job, while having all capabilities of F-16s & C-130 to do CAS / COIN and PAF will not be able to commit C-130s in war with India for recce missions it will be suicide to send them as India have very good air defense and can to venture in our air space.

My friend US is not arming us to fight a war with India. We keep on looking at military purchases from that perspective while fighting a insurgency!

IMHO, conventional warfare with India is no longer an option for both countries. Any confrontation, now will quickly escalate to a limited nuclear exchange. furthermore, in any border skirmish, both sides will hesitate to commit air assets that will logically lead to an escalation.

Therefore, without shoulder fired missiles or heavy AAA, what we have on the ground is good enough to fight a COIN ops. Yes, as rightly pointed out in this thread, we need to upgrade our Attack Helo fleet because that will form the pivot of the whole COIN ops. and the this war is not going to go away in a year or two depending on what happens in our neighborhood.

Exactly. Mi-35 are much more refined acquisition and will fill in the numbers and a pretty decent platform for the current role we are seeking to buy choppers for (anti-insurgency duties and war against Taliban)
As mentioned above, T-129, is acquired, wont be before three four years at least and even then the technology is worth it that it still will be a massive gain in our military capabilities if we get that in four five years time. Even Turkey is not going to get Mass production models (T129B) before 2016 (another two years) so if we can get these around 2018 that will be great and will be very effective battle system against organized army, if you know what i mean ;)

plus Mi-35 is multi-role. it can insert / drop special forces.

Logical post in a long long time! :tup:

My friend US is not arming us to fight a war with India. We keep on looking at military purchases from that perspective while fighting a insurgency!

IMHO, conventional warfare with India is no longer an option for both countries. Any confrontation, now will quickly escalate to a limited nuclear exchange. furthermore, in any border skirmish, both sides will hesitate to commit air assets that will logically lead to an escalation.

Therefore, without shoulder fired missiles or heavy AAA, what we have on the ground is good enough to fight a COIN ops. Yes, as rightly pointed out in this thread, we need to upgrade our Attack Helo fleet because that will form the pivot of the whole COIN ops. and the this war is not going to go away in a year or two depending on what happens in our neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom